Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is the possibility of a good 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB falling to us?

In this draft, personally, I'm most interested in taking a 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB with the 24th overall pick. However, it seems no matter what way I work it, it never works out for us. I've done 8 mock drafts in almost a month, and the only time I had a good 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB fall to us were in my first 3, so I always put us down for Rhodes or Trufant.

I try my best to avoid bias in my mock drafts, like intentionally letting a Sheldon Richardson or Damontre Moore fall to us. Am I over-correcting myself? Is there a real possibility that a player like that could fall to us?

Here is my latest mock draft:

1.       KC- Luke Joeckel

2.       Jags- Dion Jordan

3.       Raiders- Geno Smith

4.       Philly- Eric Fisher

5.       Lions- Dee Millner

6.       Browns- Bjoern Werner

7.       Cards- Matt Barkley

8.       Bills- Cordarelle Patterson

9.       Jets- Shariff Floyd

10.   Titans- Ezekiel Ansah

11.   Chargers- Lane Johnson

12.   Miami- Star Lotulelei

13.   Tampa- Sheldon Richardson

14.   Carolina- Kenny Vacarro

15.   Saints- Barkevious Mingo

16.   St. Louis- Chance Warmack

17.   Pitt- Jarvis Jones

18.   Dallas- Johnathan Cooper

19.   Giants- Damontre Moore

20.   Chicago- Alec Ogletree

21.   Cincy- Arthur Brown

22.   Rams- Keenan Allen

23.   Vikings- Tavon Austin

24.   Colts- Xavier Rhodes

25.   Seahawks- Kawaan Short

26.   Packers- Tyler Eiffert

27.   Texans- Quinton Patton

28.   Denver- Desmond Trufant

29.   Patriots- Johnthan Banks

30.   49ers- John Jenkins

31.   Patriots- Margus Hunt

32.   Ravens- Jessie Williams

I also try to put some variety in my mock drafts, so if you say a certain team would get another player, odds are, they have in at least one of my mocks.

I dont see Datone Jones of UCLA in this list. He would make one heck of a 3-4 DE, IMO. He compares to Cory Redding, who was a high draft pick, if I am not mistaken. Redding finally found a niche in the 3-4 as a DE after starting off as a 4-3 DT initially and has done better there so far.

If Datone Jones of UCLA is available, I would not be disappointed if he is our pick.

I dont see Datone Jones of UCLA in this list. He would make one heck of a 3-4 DE, IMO. He compares to Cory Redding, who was a high draft pick, if I am not mistaken. Redding finally found a niche in the 3-4 as a DE after starting off as a 4-3 DT initially and has done better there so far.

If Datone Jones of UCLA is available, I would not be disappointed if he is our pick.

I'm not so sure about that, Jones is about 30-40 pounds lighter than Redding, and D-lineman in the 3-4 have to be able to take on double teams as there are only 3 of them, and let the linebackers fly around and make tackles.

I'm not so sure about that, Jones is about 30-40 pounds lighter than Redding, and D-lineman in the 3-4 have to be able to take on double teams as there are only 3 of them, and let the linebackers fly around and make tackles.

To be fair, redding was about 270 at Texas

To be fair, redding was about 270 at Texas

People expect finished products out of the draft. They say they dont but they end up comparing them to NFL players as they are right now.

J.J.Watt was about 285, 6'5" when he was at Wisconsin. Datone Jones is around 280, 6'4".

Cory Redding, drum roll, please, just like BloodOnTheTracks said, he was 6'4", 279 lbs when this scouting profile was written:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=59578&draftyear=2003&genpos=DE

the bp colts didn't seem to take chances with players that had off the field question marks causing then to drop in the draft. if that is different now, there easily could be a home run or whiff pass rushing lb available. i think the colts need to start taking chances for the big payout. in the past they always got players that made the team for a couple years, then they would let them go because they weren't that good. the colts list of first round picks is pretty depressing when they aren't #1 (luck) and #11 (freeney) the last 13 years. i would rather have some of those players be complete busts and have 4-5 top impact players. the busts you get rid of, eat the contract, and use the roster space for another prospect. those mediocre players hang around with hope they will get better, and they don't.

A huge reach

He has been rising draft boards, not just because of the combine but because his combine forced a few guys including Mayock to go back and look at his tape and they found the explosion one wants in a 3-4 OLB.

So, yes, it may be a reach but I do not think it will be a huge reach.

Take a look at this video where Mayock outlines why Jamie Collins is his 2nd best rated 3-4 OLB in the draft:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000146176/Mayock-s-top-five-outside-linebackers

I know some Saints fans are talking about him being their first round pick with their switch to the 3-4

He has been rising draft boards, not just because of the combine but because his combine forced a few guys including Mayock to go back and look at his tape and they found the explosion one wants in a 3-4 OLB.

So, yes, it may be a reach but I do not think it will be a huge reach.

Take a look at this video where Mayock outlines why Jamie Collins is his 2nd best rated 3-4 OLB in the draft:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000146176/Mayock-s-top-five-outside-linebackers

I know some Saints fans are talking about him being their first round pick with their switch to the 3-4

Some guys have gone back I didn't think the tape matched up with his combine performance. In reality, I guess I have no idea who is correct.

Which is why I didn't claim the colts would go DL in the first

Ya, I doubt seriously that any team really has a position in concrete. They have needs and if they get a player who grades out at their slot they take him but if a player with a much better grade falls they have a decision to make. I just think Grigson would like to go CB early but that's just a guess. I just have a hunch