Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots looking to replace Welker with Danny Amendola -.SAYS Florio

bayone

several years younger [than Welker], and he’s had plenty of injuries, but he’s one of the toughest players in the NFL,” Florio explained. “It could be that the Patriots already have plans — and tampering’s not supposed to be happening. but every team is doing it. But they may already have an understanding that on the first day of free agency, they’re going to ink Danny Amendola to replace Wes Welker, which would make a lot of sense if that’s what they do.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-england-patriots-plan-to-sign-danny-amendola-030513

Florio is a notorious Patriot hater and writes a lot of articles that are way off base. He also suggested that the Patriots were making side deals with Brady in order to avoid the salary cap, an outrageous accusation with no facts or anything to back it up. He even did it again in that article, he always has these little attacks that he slips into his articles too:

“It could be that the Patriots already have plans — and tampering’s not supposed to be happening. but every team is doing it.

Right there, its a backhanded comment because hes suggesting that they're violating league rules and tampering with other players. I really love the "every team is doing it." bit, because he was ruthless about the Spygate stuff if I remember correctly and a lot of teams were doing that as well.

He has an anti-patriot agenda and always makes bold claims about them. I hardly ever read his articles and I don't put much weight into anything that he writes, including this article.

Florio is a notorious Patriot hater and writes a lot of articles that are way off base. He also suggested that the Patriots were making side deals with Brady in order to avoid the salary cap, an outrageous accusation with no facts or anything to back it up. He even did it again in that article, he always has these little attacks that he slips into his articles too:Right there, its a backhanded comment because hes suggesting that they're violating league rules and tampering with other players. I really love the "every team is doing it." bit, because he was ruthless about the Spygate stuff if I remember correctly and a lot of teams were doing that as well.

He has an anti-patriot agenda and always makes bold claims about them. I hardly ever read his articles and I don't put much weight into anything that he writes, including this article.

Well it is highly likely the Pats are "tampering" in one way or another.

But so is everyone else, so I don't think it was that much of a shot.

I read the article and it seems like at no point does Florio refer to any kind of credible source... not even something like, "team officials said..."

So is this just a case of him speculating, which it seems it is?

Because I really don't think the Patriots will have interest in a guy who cannot stay healthy like Amendola. And who plays a position where, often times, you're taking the hardest, most vicious hits on the field.

Florio is a notorious Patriot hater and writes a lot of articles that are way off base. He also suggested that the Patriots were making side deals with Brady in order to avoid the salary cap, an outrageous accusation with no facts or anything to back it up. He even did it again in that article, he always has these little attacks that he slips into his articles too:Right there, its a backhanded comment because hes suggesting that they're violating league rules and tampering with other players. I really love the "every team is doing it." bit, because he was ruthless about the Spygate stuff if I remember correctly and a lot of teams were doing that as well.

That is why I made sure to put  SAY Florio in the topic header , as know many just dont read his stuff, others do just to see what he is saying whether they care or dont

several years younger [than Welker], and he’s had plenty of injuries, but he’s one of the toughest players in the NFL,” Florio explained. “It could be that the Patriots already have plans — and tampering’s not supposed to be happening. but every team is doing it. But they may already have an understanding that on the first day of free agency, they’re going to ink Danny Amendola to replace Wes Welker, which would make a lot of sense if that’s what they do.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-england-patriots-plan-to-sign-danny-amendola-030513

Does this news spell the end for Wes Welker in NE? Hmmm...If so, it's a shame IMO...I wanted him to win a ring as a Patriot...Bummer....I always liked Welker smart, clutch, & tough as Hades.  :flyingelvis:  :thmup:

Does this news spell the end for Wes Welker in NE? Hmmm...If so, it's a shame IMO...I wanted him to win a ring as a Patriot...Bummer....I always liked Welker smart, clutch, & tough as Hades.  :flyingelvis:  :thmup:

:woah: I'm sorry, let me rub my eyes a couple of times. Did you just say what I think you said?

:woah: I'm sorry, let me rub my eyes a couple of times. Did you just say what I think you said?

I'm a fan of the entire NFL MAC. It is possible to respect a rival franchise. It's not like I said the Dallas Cowboys were a lock for the SB Mac. Sit down & put your head between your legs my friend. There is no need to pass out.  haha Or are you questioning Welker's toughness? I find it humorous that I am supposed to despise NE as the NFL anti-christ. I'm sorry. I don't. INDY will always remain my #1 NFL allegiance. That will never change in a million years. 

Was it nice to see Eli Manning win 2 rings? Sure it was, but SB outcomes are often determined by luck, footwork, concentration, & zebra interpretation of the rules & when to blow a play dead. Change any of those factors & NFL legacies are distinctly different. It is what it is...

I really believe that when the Pats franchised Welker last season that he would not return. I think things reached an impass and then they reduced his role to start the season which really upset him. In fact there is an article in the Globe today that Welker has concerns over his role being reduced. It was obvious the Pats were trying to replace him with Endelman. I love Welker but he has lost some speed and has more drops now. I am not sure how much more of a pounding his body can take either at age 32. I like Amendola but his durability is a huge issue. I have a feeling the Pats have their eyes set on someone else and I don't think it is a slot guy. I think they are looking at a legit WR on the outside maybe two and will have Endelman and Hernandez fill Welker's shoes. There is no way Josh wants his offense to be that predictable anymore and he will de-emphasize the slot and look to utilize the TEs, run game and get a real threat on the outside. Afterall, the Pats offense never stays the same year to year. :-)

I'm a fan of the entire NFL MAC. It is possible to respect a rival franchise. It's not like I said the Dallas Cowboys were a lock for the SB Mac. Sit down & put your head between your legs my friend. There is no need to pass out.  haha Or are you questioning Welker's toughness? I find it humorous that I am supposed to despise NE as the NFL anti-christ. I'm sorry. I don't. INDY will always remain my #1 NFL allegiance. That will never change in a million years. 

Was it nice to see Eli Manning win 2 rings? Sure it was, but SB outcomes are often determined by luck, footwork, concentration, & zebra interpretation of the rules & when to blow a play dead. Change any of those factors & NFL legacies are distinctly different. It is what it is...

I like lots of teams and even more players, however stating that "I wanted him to win a ring as a Patriot" suggests that you want the Patriots to win a ring in the first place. :oops:  I'm sure that you realize that that isn't a common sentiment around here.

Welker is a nice player, and I couldn't care less if he went somewhere else as a free agent and won, but not in NE.

It's not just the Patriots that Florio is like this with.

I like lots of teams and even more players, however stating that "I wanted him to win a ring as a Patriot" suggests that you want the Patriots to win a ring in the first place. :oops:  I'm sure that you realize that that isn't a common sentiment around here.

Welker is a nice player, and I couldn't care less if he went somewhere else as a free agent and won, but not in NE.

I have always hated the Colts but find myself rooting for Andrew Luck. It seems wrong, it feels wrong, but I can't help it. I think there are just some players that transcend the hate maybe.

One of my co-workers and I were talking. We talked about that NFL Network special with Joe Montana, Plunkett, Brady etc. in a group setting talking about their SB experiences. Brady did not realize what Gisele said, verbatim, about Welker post SB 46, till the next day in its entirety and when she woke up, he asked her "WHY did you say that"? The audience burst out laughing when Brady said that. Maybe that is why Brady took the sub-par contract, a sub-conscious feeling of guilt from that episode, wanting to make sure Welker is retained, he is after all his security blanket.

Just water cooler talk, that is all. :)

I doubt Welker goes anywhere, when it is all said and done.

True enough, but I move to the beat of my own drum & I have never had an trouble articulating my thoughts. I speak what I say & say what I mean & I don't get preoccupied with saying the politically correct thing 24/7. People are free to disagree with me. I have no problem with that.

That's why you are my friend MAC. You have the courage of your convictions & you are never afraid to be honest. I exercise the exact same philosophy MAC. Controversy is not a fundamental weakness or fatal flaw to me. I will always be respectful of other opinions & they in turn will be respectful of mine, even if other individuals think I'm nuts that's perfectly fine by me. 

One of my co-workers and I were talking. We talked about that NFL Network special with Joe Montana, Plunkett, Brady etc. in a group setting talking about their SB experiences. Brady did not realize what Gisele said, verbatim, about Welker post SB 46, till the next day in its entirety and when she woke up, he asked her "WHY did you say that"? The audience burst out laughing when Brady said that. Maybe that is why Brady took the sub-par contract, a sub-conscious feeling of guilt from that episode, wanting to make sure Welker is retained, he is after all his security blanket.

Just water cooler talk, that is all. :)

I doubt Welker goes anywhere, when it is all said and done.

That is hilarious. You know I never thought much of Gisele one way or the other until her comments after the SB. Then I loved her. Said what everyone was thinking. And shut the Giants heckler right up.

I have always hated the Colts but find myself rooting for Andrew Luck. It seems wrong, it feels wrong, but I can't help it. I think there are just some players that transcend the hate maybe.

I think what it boils down to is this: certain NFL QB's  overcome a constant pass rush,  deflected passes, fumbles, picks, sacks; play a very competitive game & dig themselves out of a huge scoring hole actually start to gain admiration. Winning a game under such pressure packed circumstances eventually leads to widespread success among their peers & a vast majority of fans across the league.

Tom Brady has proven himself consistently, Peyton Manning has proven himself consistently, Eli Manning has proven himself consistently, & Andrew Luck is beginning to prove himself consistently too. Toughness & smart decisions= almost universal respect among the other NFL coaches & players. I understand your point amfootball & take zero offense to it. 

I actually made a post jokingly in another thread about the Pats losing draft picks for side stepping the salary cap with the Brady deal. This is a general discussion topic type question and not directed at you. What if Kraft did offer Brady an ownership stake through an under the table contract? How would it every be proven or discovered? This is kind of the perfect storm for a situation like that (Brady's career winding down). 

You are not the only fan of an opposing team I have seen admit this since the Luck era started. He's a likeable guy.

Give in........ :heh:

I really believe that when the Pats franchised Welker last season that he would not return. I think things reached an impass and then they reduced his role to start the season which really upset him. In fact there is an article in the Globe today that Welker has concerns over his role being reduced. It was obvious the Pats were trying to replace him with Endelman. I love Welker but he has lost some speed and has more drops now. I am not sure how much more of a pounding his body can take either at age 32. I like Amendola but his durability is a huge issue. I have a feeling the Pats have their eyes set on someone else and I don't think it is a slot guy. I think they are looking at a legit WR on the outside maybe two and will have Endelman and Hernandez fill Welker's shoes. There is no way Josh wants his offense to be that predictable anymore and he will de-emphasize the slot and look to utilize the TEs, run game and get a real threat on the outside. Afterall, the Pats offense never stays the same year to year. :-)

I would tend to agree with that. Especially the last line.

Ironically I never had any negative sentiments towards the Patriots prior to 2003.  I like New England in general and the City of Boston in particular. I think that the Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins are three of the coolest teams in their respective sports. I actually liked Jim Plunkett, and Steve Grogan, and Drew Bledsoe, liked the old style bright red uniforms and the revolutionary theme, rooted for them hard post 9/11 against the annoying "greatest show on turf".

I suspect that the "hatred" was born the moment that Willie McGinnest faked an injury and stole home field advantage, and I didn't care one way or another about Brady until the media tried placing him on a pedestal that I felt was undeserved while simultaneously showcasing some personal characteristics that rubbed me the wrong way.

Equally ironically if Luck weren't on the Colts, I likely wouldn't have an opinion on him at all.

Ironically I never had any negative sentiments towards the Patriots prior to 2003.  I like New England in general and the City of Boston in particular. I think that the Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins are three of the coolest teams in their respective sports. I actually liked Jim Plunkett, and Steve Grogan, and Drew Bledsoe, liked the old style bright red uniforms and the revolutionary theme, rooted for them hard post 9/11 against the annoying "greatest show on turf".

I suspect that the "hatred" was born the moment that Willie McGinnest faked an injury and stole home field advantage, and I didn't care one way or another about Brady until the media tried placing him on a pedestal that I felt was undeserved while simultaneously showcasing some personal characteristics that rubbed me the wrong way.

Equally ironically if Luck weren't on the Colts, I likely wouldn't have an opinion on him at all.

I don't remember the McGinets fake injury. Was that the game in Indy where the Pats won on the goal line stand?

I began hating the Colts around the same time. Manning kept be called the greatest QB yet could not win a playoff game. Brady beats him twice in the playoffs and wins 3 rings and he is just on a better team, system guy,blah, blah. I also can't stand Tony Dungy's blind love for Peyton on Football America. I mean it borders on ridiculous at times.

That all being said, I am not sure if a #1 pick has ever entered the league under the intense circumstances that Luck did. He was being talked about as the "next Elway" for his entire senior year. Then the Colts collapse and all of a sudden have the first pick with Manning under going four neck surgeries. The ugly battle between him and Irsay ensue and all of a sudden it is all about Luck coming in to save the Colts. All that happens in the off-season is the entire org is blown up, new coaches, new GM, lots of rookies. Luck steps into that mess and then loses his HC early in the season and is then asked to carry the offense. How does he respond? 11 wins and countless comebacks. This is why IMO it is not even close btw him and the other rookies. While the talent level may be similar, the mental toughness of this guy and his leadership is on a whole different level. The other rookies may eventually show that but right now, Luck is the guy that will own this league when Brady and Manning are done. Just my opinion but the guy is a rock and has backed up everything every analyst and scout has said about him and then some.

Now Adam Schefer is reporting that Welker will not sign with the Pats until he test FA market. Isn't that nice? If true, I give Welker less than a one percent chance of signing with the Pats. Someone will throw money at him.

And the next time folks up here want to know why Brady has been "canonized" this is why. While I don't begrudge Welker for trying to make his money, he must realize what this looks like. Everyone in NE assumed when Brady did his deal that Welker would be signed. Priority number one for Pats, rumors that Brady did the deal so they could retain Welker. I suppose at the end of the day there is only one Tom Brady. I am so done with this. I hope they go out and get two legit outside guys.

Amendola's only problem is injury, and looks like he really has bad luck and any contact or even non-contact could be turned into a disaster for him. There are many talented slot receivers but only a few of them know how to be healthy, and Welker for most of the time is one of them.

Can you say Tavon Austin to the Pats???

Now Adam Schefer is reporting that Welker will not sign with the Pats until he test FA market. Isn't that nice? If true, I give Welker less than a one percent chance of signing with the Pats. Someone will throw money at him.

And the next time folks up here want to know why Brady has been "canonized" this is why. While I don't begrudge Welker for trying to make his money, he must realize what this looks like. Everyone in NE assumed when Brady did his deal that Welker would be signed. Priority number one for Pats, rumors that Brady did the deal so they could retain Welker. I suppose at the end of the day there is only one Tom Brady. I am so done with this. I hope they go out and get two legit outside guys.

Can you say Tavon Austin to the Pats???

Yeah, that would be sweet.

Apparently there is a three day window tampering window for teams and players to talk without doing a deal. It starts Mar 9 and goes through to the 11. Pretty cool. Lots of guys will probably at least what is on the table during this time.

Pats and Welker closing in on deal, http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21817260/report-wes-welker-patriots-closing-in-on-a-longterm-deal

Guess we were all wrong if that happens, especially me. :-)

Will Brinson, the gentlemen in the green shirt in that video clip suggests Wes Welker in a Peyton Manning Broncos offense, no I don't see it or like that idea. Denver needs multiple RBs who can pass block & get 4-6 yards on the ground everytime they touch the ball & Willis Mcgahee is older & getting more injure prone. Stay in NE Wes that offensive scheme is taylor made for you. Also, Bill Belichick is still your best shot at a ring too. 

Doubt Denver would pay him. Their WRs are solid right now. Dallas is more likely or Seattle or the Rams if Amdendola leaves...

Will Brinson, the gentlemen in the green shirt in that video clip suggests Wes Welker in a Peyton Manning Broncos offense, no I don't see it or like that idea. Denver needs multiple RBs who can pass block & get 4-6 yards on the ground everytime they touch the ball & Willis Mcgahee is older & getting more injure prone. Stay in NE Wes that offensive scheme is taylor made for you. Also, Bill Belichick is still your best shot at a ring too. 

Doubt Denver would pay him. Their WRs are solid right now. Dallas is more likely or Seattle or the Rams if Amdendola leaves...

Denver is satisfied with Stokley at this point with much cheaper price and flexible contract. Could see Collie going there though.

RB is big need, Willis sudenly injury prone and fumble prone when consider age , a RB can drop off in a minute , let alone at age & recovery from surgey

Moreno is injury prone & hillman cant block 

Definitely need another back, Broncos looking for a bigger type back

RB is big need, Willis sudenly injury prone and fumble prone when consider age , a RB can drop off in a minute , let alone at age & recovery from surgey

Moreno is injury prone & hillman cant block 

Definitely need another back, Broncos looking for a bigger type back

Well said Barry.  :thmup:  Too bad too. He had such promise when HC Josh McDaniels drafted him. You're exactly right though. Moreno just sucks at pass blocking. I'm not trying to be cruel here. I am just stating what I see as reality. Can Moreno improve? Sure he can. Frankly, he can't get any worse IMO. 

Denver is satisfied with Stokley at this point with much cheaper price and flexible contract. Could see Collie going there though.

Good point Tonychen!  :thmup:  Denver also has a capable TE weapon in Jacob Tamme too. I always liked Tamme. Good hands, very reliable, & he works his caboose off. My kind of guy.  :td:

Well said Barry.  :thmup:  Too bad too. He had such promise when HC Josh McDaniels drafted him. You're exactly right though. Moreno just sucks at pass blocking. I'm not trying to be cruel here. I am just stating what I see as reality. Can Moreno improve? Sure he can. Frankly, he can't get any worse IMO. 

Moreno at least played well enough last season when his name was called, and he blocked much better than Hillman. They run a very similar system as the old Colts but they did not make those stretch runs and instead they run through the middle, which requires RBs to be kinda bigger and stronger. Moreno is OK in this role but his enemy is injury. He also finished 2011 season on IR.

Could see Collie going there though.

I missed the Collie comment when I first read your reply. It could work with Collie in Denver. Manning knows what he's getting & his tremendous work ethic. I don't know if the medical staff would approve him given his concussion issue though. I'd give a shot though. Not a huge contract, but not the bare minimum either. Collie deserves a 2nd chance IMO. 

Moreno at least played well enough last season when his name was called, and he blocked much better than Hillman. They run a very similar system as the old Colts but they did not make those stretch runs and instead they run through the middle, which requires RBs to be kinda bigger and stronger. Moreno is OK in this role but his enemy is injury. He also finished 2011 season on IR.

If I was Denver, I'd go after RB Reggie Bush actually. A back with speed who finally learned to run between the tackles. I think he is a free agent now. Either that or Steven Jackson.

I

Everyone in NE assumed when Brady did his deal that Welker would be signed. Priority number one for Pats, rumors that Brady did the deal so they could retain Welker. 

Seattle 

That's exactly what I thought amfootball. Brady took less money to keep Welker in NE. Seattle would be a great fit for Welker...Former NE HC, a kick caboose secondary, a beast in RB Lynch, & an up & coming QB star in Russell Wilson. I like it! 

Going back to Denver & their need for a RB that can run & block effectively...If you forced me to make a decision, I would ride with Steven Jackson a bleeping stud with power, speed, & he blocks better than Reggie Bush. Plus, Bush already won a SB ring with New Orleans. I'd love to see Jackson win a ring with a horse head on his helmet personally.