Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Round, Pick #24

Why don't you think we would go into the season with who we have now at WR? It's exactly who we went into last season with, with the exception of Avery. With a yr. of experience under the rookie's belts next season, I could easily see us going into the season with who we have right now. I could however, see us drafting a WR later in the draft or sign a low level FA. We are not nearly as bad off at WR as a lot people make it out to be. Like I said, If we do not add a WR we'll go into the season with pretty much exactly who we had last season and they'll all have a yr. of experience.

hey im not saying we should i much rater take OT/CB/S/DE/OLB with our first lol but it all deppends on FA and who is available at our spot. and why i dont think we could go into the season is because the offense will be much different. is not that i dont thrust TY AND Brazil and to be honest with you i want to see Brazil, that kid intrigues me cause i think i can see him starting outside despite his size, he is a good route runner with more than enough speed but the offensive philosophy is different...normally WCO requires bigger bodies, look at the WR Position with 49ers/Redskins/Browns (they changed OC this year but that team drafted for the WCO) and what if Brazil doesnt pan out? should we go into the season just with Reggie and TY? i just dont see Griggs taking that risk...injuries also a factor

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey im not saying we should i much rater take OT/CB/S/DE/OLB with our first lol but it all deppends on FA and who is available at our spot. and why i dont think we could go into the season is because the offense will be much different. is not that i dont thrust TY AND Brazil and to be honest with you i want to see Brazil, that kid intrigues me cause i think i can see him starting outside despite his size, he is a good route runner with more than enough speed but the offensive philosophy is different...normally WCO requires bigger bodies, look at the WR Position with 49ers/Redskins/Browns (they changed OC this year but that team drafted for the WCO) and what if Brazil doesnt pan out? should we go into the season just with Reggie and TY? i just dont see Griggs taking that risk...injuries also a factor

I know many teams that run the WCO do have bigger receivers, but I don't believe that it is something that is a requirement to run it effectively. Essentially all the WCO needs is receivers that run precise routes and have good hands and I think we got the guy's that can do that. I've said many times that I would like us to bring in Ramses Barden because I think he would be rather cheap and he's a huge target. There are just a lot of fans(and I don't mean you) that think that we are depleted in the WR area and that isn't true. Luck threw for over 4300 yds. last season and set the rookie passing yds. record with pretty much the same group of receivers we have right now. 

Sheldon Richardson 1a  Jonathan Cooper 1b

I don't think were gonna go cb in the 1st round when we gave up a 2nd to get Vontae. Also plenty of cb's available in free agency Mike Jenkins,DRC,Grimes we should be able to get one of those guys. Cory Redding will be 33,Moala might not be back coming off of an injury, we need help on the defensive line and Richardson would be perfect. I do think will sign Louis Vasquez but we still could use another guard if Richardson is gone then Cooper would be a great pick as well.

I know many teams that run the WCO do have bigger receivers, but I don't believe that it is something that is a requirement to run it effectively. Essentially all the WCO needs is receivers that run precise routes and have good hands and I think we got the guy's that can do that. I've said many times that I would like us to bring in Ramses Barden because I think he would be rather cheap and he's a huge target. There are just a lot of fans(and I don't mean you) that think that we are depleted in the WR area and that isn't true. Luck threw for over 4300 yds. last season and set the rookie passing yds. record with pretty much the same group of receivers we have right now.

yea i know, i have seen many "get Jennings/Bowe/Wallace" posts so i know what you mean im saying that Griggson has shown he wont go with need he will go with BPA and if he sees a WR he likes i dont think he wont pull the trigger because we have other needs... look at fleener-allen back to back... we had many needs b ut he went with talent and talent alone. he has said he has seen to many teams screw up because they go with need only to hav e aplayer that wasnt what they needed..so i really think Griggson is a wildcard here...we dont really have much to know what he likes to do, Reid likes OL and he almos takes at least 1 each draft, Norv turner liked the Big WR so you can say that if a WR whas needed for the chargers they would look for the big body... Shanahan has a knack for not drafting RB high but to get a gem on 3rd or later rounds, bellichick almost all drafts takes a CB and you know he likes LB that are big and strong (Colvin/Mayo/Spikes/Hightower/Ninkovitch/etc)... we have only 1 draft of Grigson so we know no tendencies so far

I agree, but like I said IMO it will be a mid to late rd. draft pick or a low level FA. 

Ya I can see that. I would like to see them apply that draft pick to other positions this year. Then maybe take a stab at a #1 to replace Reggie next year if the opportunity arises.

I've been looking at a lot of mock drafts and compiled some names that different people have been predicting the Colts might take with their first round pick.

Out of the below mentioned players, who do you feel the Colts have the best chance at picking up, and who do you want with the 24th pick?

Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi St

Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State                                               

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State

Johnathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia

Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida

Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama

Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On the updated ESPN draft board, Johnathan Jenkins is occupying the 24th pick. I think Grigson is considering gettting either Hankins, Jenkins, or Banks at that spot. Eddie Lacy is who i want to see in a Colts uniform from the list of 1st rounders.

Lets wait till free agency is over. But here is a thought out of left field.

Who knows, maybe Grigson is high on DeAndre Hopkins, WR out of Clemson??? He reminds analysts of Reggie Wayne.

Maybe we trade down a bit from #24 and get him if we gain another pick in the draft, much like Polian traded down a bit and got Reggie Wayne.

WRs in free agency is always too expensive and unlike Arians who preferred smaller speedy wideouts, Pep Hamilton might need a big bodied wideout after all that has a lot of upside. If we do let Avery go and do not go after WR free agents, dont count that out. Just my two cents.

If we stand pat, however, I'd prefer OL or DB than DL. DL, you have to take chances on potential considerably at No.24, and it is much harder to get production right away, IMO.

Cordarelle Patterson is the only receiver that I would be happy to get in the first round. He fits the mold in the WCO, Big Body, excellent YAC ability. That being said I think he's the first receiver off the board so it's a moot point. But I would not be surprised if a WR is picked. Mike Chappall of the Indy Star seems to think so too. 

Cordarelle Patterson is the only receiver that I would be happy to get in the first round. He fits the mold in the WCO, Big Body, excellent YAC ability. That being said I think he's the first receiver off the board so it's a moot point. But I would not be surprised if a WR is picked. Mike Chappall of the Indy Star seems to think so too. 

If Grigson decides to take a WR, although he said he will pick BPA, I hope the Colts trade down into the second and get another draft pick in the 3rd round. 

I do agree with those saying there's enough talent at CB in free agency. I hope we go after pass rush. Get some BIG young bodies on this Colts team. 

On the updated ESPN draft board, Johnathan Jenkins is occupying the 24th pick. I think Grigson is considering gettting either Hankins, Jenkins, or Banks at that spot. Eddie Lacy is who i want to see in a Colts uniform from the list of 1st rounders.

Beast.....

Just a novelty we cannot afford right now.

A healthy Ijalana just means a healthy Ijalana, nothing more nothing less at this point until we know what a healthy Ijalana can do and I doubt our staff from top to bottom will go into next season hoping we have him back at full strength and praying that he can fit the scheme without a plan

Do you have any proof of this ? Jenkins would be a bad pick, IMO. Lazy and fat, and we don't need a Nt in the first. Lacy isn't that good, he ran behind a great line.

Do you have any proof of this ? Jenkins would be a bad pick, IMO. Lazy and fat, and we don't need a Nt in the first. Lacy isn't that good, he ran behind a great line.

I've been looking at a lot of mock drafts and compiled some names that different people have been predicting the Colts might take with their first round pick.

Out of the below mentioned players, who do you feel the Colts have the best chance at picking up, and who do you want with the 24th pick?

Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

I'll let you know after the FA signings go down..  :thmup:

Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

Its easy, man. Xavier Rhodes or Johnathon Cooper. Personally, and i know Cooper is projected  a rd1 pick but i think with the abundance of Tackles in the draft, teams will go for a tackle over a Guard , obviously excluding Warmack, Cooper will be avail if we somehow trade into the 2nd rd. Because if worse comes to worse you can almost always turn your Tackle into a Guard. But IMO Rhodes is the #1 pick in the draft for us. The way offenses have elvolved, the days of the 5'9 cornerback just doesnt fly anymore. And Xavier Rhodes is 6'2 and 217. Plus, and a BIG plus, is that the 3-4 uses alot of press coverage and Man, which Xavier Rhodes specializes in. can you imagine him teamed with Vontae? WOW. RhodeS is the most perfect fit and pick by a mile!!!

"Luck’s offensive line was extremely subpar as well. Only left tackle Anthony Castonzo deserves to start at this level. Luck was hit a league-high 14 times when throwing. His receivers dropped an NFL-worst 50 passes. And the average distance of Luck’s passes was further than any quarterback in the game.

Simply put, Luck’s 18 interceptions and 54.5 completion percentage were the result of the Colts throwing him to a big-league offense right away. The Colts (21st-ranked scoring defense26th-ranked total defense) would have been 4-12 without Luck. Instead, he led an NFL-record-tying seven fourth-quarter comebacks and they finished a ridiculous 11-5."

1. Trade + Somebody or 7th RD to Arizona for (2nd, 3rd, 5th) (Compensatory: 5th for Garcon)

2. Larry Warford (G)

3. Menelik Watson (OT)

3. Brandon Jenkins or Chase Thomas or Jonathan Bostic (LB) or DaRick Rogers (WR)

4. Kwame Geathers (NT) or DJ Swearinger (SS)

5. Ray Graham or Jonathan Franklin or Kenyon Barner (RB)

5. Darius Slay (CB) or Brian Winters (OL) or Cobi Hamilton (WR)

6. Montori Hughes (DL) or Micah Hyde (CB) or Josh Evans (FS)

7.    :throwback:

FA

Killeen (OLB/DE)Kelley (WR)Seattle (S)Kruger (DL), Baker and/or Levitre (OL)

Perosnally, I think he should pick the best player out of these positions:

OG

NT

CB

S

OLB (true ones)

It's essentially BPA, but knocking off a couple of players in the mix. 

However, it's still too early to decide what to get. FA is just around the corner and the Colts will most likely knock off a couple of needs through that.

Not athletic enough for OLB, not big enough for DE. We need to stay away from him.

Theres a video highlighting Tackle Eric Fisher really manhandling a DE and man he looked good throwing that DE around. Im pretty sure the name on that DE's jersey was...Okafor.  

Im partial to the NFL.com Grades and they have  Rhodes as the 2nd best Corner on the board after Milliner and its a significant grade drop, Wilson is sitting at 8th just above Amerson 

The only problem I have with nfl.com draft tracker is I have no idea who does it.

Scouts Inc actually has Rhodes as the 7th best corner

Theres a video highlighting Tackle Eric Fisher really manhandling a DE and man he looked good throwing that DE around. Im pretty sure the name on that DE's jersey was...Okafor.  

For what it's worth Okafor was playing at on the right side for those drills, opposite his normal position for the Longhorns. Yes Fisher threw him to the ground when he tried to get the edge but Okafor's strength isn't his speed it's his power and hands. Which was highlighted later that day with a swim move breezing past Fisher.

No offense, but I don't trust many guys that work for ESPN when it comes to recruiting or the draft.

And how is a link to ESPN proof of what Grigson is looking to draft?

"Would that be the same Trent Richardson that averaged 3.6 ypc behind Joe Thomas at LT? Way to stick it to me".

Nobody....hold on a minute, friend. :funny:  I have no interest in "sticking it to you", or being sarcastic, in any way....Richardson, running behind a sheetrock of an offensive line, was the most productive player on their team, finishing with 950 yards, 12 TD's, finishing 4th behind D.Martin, Alfred Morris, and Steven Ridley. Logically, you can't just dismiss that as not having value, or irrelevant, under those circumstances he faced in Cleveland. Joe Thomas and that Oline is the very reason why he and D.Martin's stats are not as close. Whatever you believe is fine by me....I didn't say anything about trusting those ESPN analyst, i said that it had been updated, which doesn't tell us anything about who we're taking at #24. You're better than this, friend.... :shake:

"Would that be the same Trent Richardson that averaged 3.6 ypc behind Joe Thomas at LT? Way to stick it to me".

Nobody....hold on a minute, friend. :funny: I have no interest in "sticking it to you", or being sarcastic, in any way....Richardson, running behind a sheetrock of an offensive line, was the most productive player on their team, finishing with 950 yards, 12 TD's, finishing 4th behind D.Martin, Alfred Morris, and Steven Ridley. Logically, you can't just dismiss that as not having value, or irrelevant, under those circumstances he faced in Cleveland. Joe Thomas and that Oline is the very reason why he and D.Martin's stats are not as close. Whatever you believe is fine by me....I didn't say anything about trusting those ESPN analyst, i said that it had been updated, which doesn't tell us anything about who we're taking at #24. You're better than this, friend.... :shake:

Cleveland has a very good OL, it's hardly an excuse for TR's struggles. The amount of yards and TDs means nothing if he requires too many carries to get them.

The only problem I have with nfl.com draft tracker is I have no idea who does it.

Scouts Inc actually has Rhodes as the 7th best corner

For me 7th is way to far fetched in my opinion, He has size, press skills, good in Man, Also I think Rhodes has proven to be a solid Corner with shutdown potential. He had 5 picks this year coming off 13 last year, I know many are not real high on him but I like him and NFL Draft Scout.com has him rated the 10th best Corner which is a little to far fetched for me. but he is more of a Zone Corner I think and Rhodes is more man

yea i know, i have seen many "get Jennings/Bowe/Wallace" posts so i know what you mean im saying that Griggson has shown he wont go with need he will go with BPA and if he sees a WR he likes i dont think he wont pull the trigger because we have other needs... look at fleener-allen back to back... we had many needs b ut he went with talent and talent alone. he has said he has seen to many teams screw up because they go with need only to hav e aplayer that wasnt what they needed..so i really think Griggson is a wildcard here...we dont really have much to know what he likes to do, Reid likes OL and he almos takes at least 1 each draft, Norv turner liked the Big WR so you can say that if a WR whas needed for the chargers they would look for the big body... Shanahan has a knack for not drafting RB high but to get a gem on 3rd or later rounds, bellichick almost all drafts takes a CB and you know he likes LB that are big and strong (Colvin/Mayo/Spikes/Hightower/Ninkovitch/etc)... we have only 1 draft of Grigson so we know no tendencies so far

Where in last year's off season did Grigson go BPA.  He went need in FA and need in draft.  He passed on BPA in a number of rounds to draft need.

He will again go into Fa and draft to get need.  BPA will be team need.

Where in last year's off season did Grigson go BPA. He went need in FA and need in draft. He passed on BPA in a number of rounds to draft need.

He will again go into Fa and draft to get need. BPA will be team need.

allen and fleener back to back.. Brazil/Harnish/Ballard were BPA i dont think we needed a QB when stanton was already here so it wasnt a need after avery wayne and ty WR wasnt a need he still took a WR

he didnt take a single CB Safety DE OG and just a late OT that were all needs

Thank you....this was the point I was trying to make in the "Welker or Amendola" post....I wasn't trying to say we SHOULD go after a WR, just saying its worth discussing because don't think for one second Grigson isn't considering ALL options....and then I got a million "THE COLTS DON'T NEED ANOTHER WR" responses.....angry people....

Thank you....this was the point I was trying to make in the "Welker or Amendola" post....I wasn't trying to say we SHOULD go after a WR, just saying its worth discussing because don't think for one second Grigson isn't considering ALL options....and then I got a million "THE COLTS DON'T NEED ANOTHER WR" responses.....angry people....

honestly I wouldnt agree if we were to take a WR in FA, because FA allows you to go with need and not only talent  but i know Griggsson will look at all possibilities...

FYI...Nice Information:

Possible cap casualties: In his first season at the helm of the Colts, general manager Ryan Grigson made the decision to part ways with several veterans, many of whom had recently signed multi-year extensions. As a result, the Colts had around $40 million in "dead" money on last year's cap. Cap Space: (43.79 million)

With over $40 million in available space in 2013, the Colts won't have to make similar cuts. However, if Grigson really wants some additional space, a quick way to do that would be to convert Robert Mathis' $3 million roster bonus, which is due on March 14, into a signing bonus. By prorating that amount over the three years that remain on Mathis' current contract, the Colts would gain an additional $2 million in cap space in 2013, but would add $1 million to his 2014 and 2015 cap numbers. With this much cap space, though, there's no reason to push cap dollars into future seasons.

Unrestricted free agents

Donnie Avery, WR
Darius Butler, CB
Austin Collie, WR
Moise Fokou, LB
Dwight Freeney, LB
Tony Hills, OT
Antonio Johnson, NT
Winston Justice, OT
Pat McAfee, P
Fili Moala, DL
Mewelde Moore, RB
Jerraud Powers, CB
Drew Stanton, QB
Jamaal Westerman, LB

Restricted free agents

A.J. Edds, LB
Jeff Linkenbach, G/T
Seth Olsen, G
Cassius Vaughn, CB

RFA tender amounts in 2013 are:

• $1.323 million for right of first refusal and/or original draft round compensation
• $2.023 for right of first refusal and second round draft selection
• $2.879 for right of first refusal and first round draft selection

allen and fleener back to back.. Brazil/Harnish/Ballard were BPA i dont think we needed a QB when stanton was already here so it wasnt a need after avery wayne and ty WR wasnt a need he still took a WR

he didnt take a single CB Safety DE OG and just a late OT that were all needs

Reasons for want I say

Rd 1- Luck need because no franchise QB.  BPA IMO is debatable

RD 2- Fleener need because no TE, plus Luck;s BFF from Stanford.  Not BPA as there was 3 other players at least rated better than him.

Rd 3- Allen was a need, but IMO BPA

Hilton was a need to improve ST and Slot Receiver position

Rd 5- Brazil was a need to improve ST and Slot

Chapman was a need to anchor new Defensive scheme. IMO BPA

Rd 6- Ballard BPA

Rd 7- Fugger need for new D scheme

I might have Brazil and Ballard switched but IMO this is why we drafted the way we did. 

For me 7th is way to far fetched in my opinion, He has size, press skills, good in Man, Also I think Rhodes has proven to be a solid Corner with shutdown potential. He had 5 picks this year coming off 13 last year, I know many are not real high on him but I like him and NFL Draft Scout.com has him rated the 10th best Corner which is a little to far fetched for me. but he is more of a Zone Corner I think and Rhodes is more man

do you mean Amerson?

Cleveland has a very good OL, it's hardly an excuse for TR's struggles. The amount of yards and TDs means nothing if he requires too many carries to get them.

Good Dialogue....You..say, that the Browns have a good OL. ... :hmm: When i mentioned the "circumstances" that TR is/was under in 2012, im taking into account, all of elements that minimized/affected, his production for his team. Looking at the stat lines for the Cleveland's offense last year, TR was the workhorse, but was the main attraction/ focus of the oppenents they faced. You could literally lock up their offense with 9 players on defense. (7 in the box, 2 on Josh Gordon, with the remaining players talking to referees about field conditions.)

Brandon Weeden 2012 Stats: 517(att's) 297(comp) 57.4(comp%) 3385(yds) 14(tds) 17(int) 28(sacks!!!)

Josh Gordan & Greg Little finished with roughly 52 (rec) 647&807 (yds) and less than 6 TD's a piece.

If their Oline was that good, Weeden, Gordan, Little, and Richardson would be backups for the pro bowl...they'll get better, but they've got other issues to address. Weeden is not a franchise QB. Passing & Running compliment each other. You can't have one without the other. This is the :nfl: .

Where in last year's off season did Grigson go BPA.  He went need in FA and need in draft.  He passed on BPA in a number of rounds to draft need.

He will again go into Fa and draft to get need.  BPA will be team need.

Stop basing things off your imaginary board