Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Round, Pick #24

I've been looking at a lot of mock drafts and compiled some names that different people have been predicting the Colts might take with their first round pick.

Out of the below mentioned players, who do you feel the Colts have the best chance at picking up, and who do you want with the 24th pick?

Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi St

Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State                                               

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State

Johnathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia

Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida

Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama

Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking at a lot of mock drafts and compiled some names that different people have been predicting the Colts might take with their first round pick.

Out of the below mentioned players, who do you feel the Colts have the best chance at picking up, and who do you want with the 24th pick?

Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

Of your list here, it's easier for me to list who I wouldn't want.....

Just two,  Jenkins, the huge Georgia NT is simply too big and might eat his way out of the NFL too soon and Jesse Williams, another NT.    I don't want to spend a 1st round draft pick on a nose tackle.

That said, some of the players you list as of right now stand a very, very low change of being there at 24.  Johnson, Richardson and Floyd for three...

But other than the top two who I don't want, I'd be happy with the rest....

And, above all, I trust Grigson.   I think his first draft was so spectacular that he has earned our trust.

It's very hard telling who will be available at #24. Since Colts don't have a #2 pick going back a few spots to get a #2 from a desperate team would be ok "If" there is a coveted player that is falling and the other teams behind the current #24 are more in the D side hunt, The draft is a chess match!!!!! There are rumors from all the teams and Colts have to figure out which ones are bluffs and suspected real ones.

I have faith in Grigson and he is fully aware of the Colts needs and has stated so, got to protect A.Luck is the most important and next year It will be heavy defense I suspect...

Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

I've put my favorites in bold. 

My personal thoughts on the beginnings of a good football team : Have great players in the trenches on either side of the ball. With that said, I'll also anticipate that the opportunities to sign an O-lineman or a CB in Free Agency are far greater than finding someone young, valuable, versatile and beneficial to our defensive line. 

Cory Redding is no spring chicken and was often injured this past year. Both Ricardo Matthews and Moala had their moments but they are depth guys at best. I don't know what will happen with Josh Chapman, but it seems the Colts are optimistic. Brandon McKinney is still decent so I don't feel NT is as big of a concern as a DE.

So at #24, if Kawann Short, Sharrif Floyd or Sheldon Richardson are available, I'd love to see anyone of those guys picked. However, if they are not available I'd like to see a young CB  like Banks, Trufant or Rhodes. 

Finally, if the offensive line hasnt been fully addressed or there is simply a guy there that we can't pass up on like Lane Johnson falling to us...i'm ok with that too.

I trust Grigson. He's done a great job so far. 

Don't follow college football, so I don't know a lot about these players, but as long as we don't draft a RB or an OT (I like what we have in A.Castonzo) I'll be fine with the pick.. wouldn't mind trading down a bit to possibly land a 2nd round pick.. we sure could use it..

I agree Castonzo is fine; however, we are still lacking another bookend. I would love DJ Fluker or Lane Johnson! Give us bookends that can grow and evolve with Luck. 

It's very hard telling who will be available at #24. Since Colts don't have a #2 pick going back a few spots to get a #2 from a desperate team would be ok "If" there is a coveted player that is falling and the other teams behind the current #24 are more in the D side hunt, The draft is a chess match!!!!! There are rumors from all the teams and Colts have to figure out which ones are bluffs and suspected real ones.

I have faith in Grigson and he is fully aware of the Colts needs and has stated so, got to protect A.Luck is the most important and next year It will be heavy defense I suspect...

I could see a team like the 49ers doing this. Not out of desperation, but rather because of a surplus of talent and draft picks. Of course it would require them to want someone at pick #24 that they don't think will last until #31.....7 picks is an eternity in the first round....

Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

If Cooper falls to us, I would love that pick!

Banks is big and physical he would be a perfect fit with Davis. I also love Cooper, he can pull better then 90% of the guards in the league right now.

That's not really an accurate statement seeing how Cooper has never played a down in the NFL. Just because a guy can dominate much lesser competition in college doesn't mean he can do anything in the NFL. 

Getting back on the original question though, Out of the guys listed, Rhodes or Banks would be my top picks because I really think O-line is going to be targeted hard in free agency, but if it's not I would rather get D.J. Fluker or trade back and get an extra pick or 2.

*Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

Lined are ones I don't want at #24 (*) pick, or at all. Italicized I'd love, but don't think they'll fall to us. That leaves me thinking one of these in Bold might be a good possibility.  One I even have as a Bold/Italicized hybrid.  LOL. Out of those Bold, I'd like Cooper 1st choice at #24, Banks 2nd, and Williams 3rd.

Lets wait till free agency is over. But here is a thought out of left field.

Who knows, maybe Grigson is high on DeAndre Hopkins, WR out of Clemson??? He reminds analysts of Reggie Wayne.

Maybe we trade down a bit from #24 and get him if we gain another pick in the draft, much like Polian traded down a bit and got Reggie Wayne.

WRs in free agency is always too expensive and unlike Arians who preferred smaller speedy wideouts, Pep Hamilton might need a big bodied wideout after all that has a lot of upside. If we do let Avery go and do not go after WR free agents, dont count that out. Just my two cents.

If we stand pat, however, I'd prefer OL or DB than DL. DL, you have to take chances on potential considerably at No.24, and it is much harder to get production right away, IMO.

Lined are ones I don't want at #24 (*) pick, or at all. Italicized I'd love, but don't think they'll fall to us. That leaves me thinking one of these in Bold might be a good possibility.  One I even have as a Bold/Italicized hybrid.  LOL. Out of those Bold, I'd like Cooper 1st choice at #24, Banks 2nd, and Williams 3rd.

Even though I'm a Buckeye at heart, I have to agree with your logic and choices. Of course, things can change after we sign FAs.

I think we'll get the BPA, but only in positions of need. I really don't think we'd take a QB, RB, TE, or WR #1 even if he's the highest ranked on the board. Just about every other position can use an upgrade with a first round pick.

A lot of people have us taking a NT in the first... lets say we do and Chapman is healthy this season.  Could Chapman play DE or is he strictly built for NT?

Chapman is not a DE. He's way too short and has no speed. He is built to take on double teams and stand his ground. Thats about it. 

Lets wait till free agency is over. But here is a thought out of left field.

Who knows, maybe Grigson is high on DeAndre Hopkins, WR out of Clemson??? He reminds analysts of Reggie Wayne.

Maybe we trade down a bit from #24 and get him if we gain another pick in the draft, much like Polian traded down a bit and got Reggie Wayne.

WRs in free agency is always too expensive and unlike Arians who preferred smaller speedy wideouts, Pep Hamilton might need a big bodied wideout after all that has a lot of upside. If we do let Avery go and do not go after WR free agents, dont count that out. Just my two cents.

If we stand pat, however, I'd prefer OL or DB than DL. DL, you have to take chances on potential considerably at No.24, and it is much harder to get production right away, IMO.

i know people wont like that but i can see us takinga  wr after a trade down or something ...there is no way we go to the season with Reggie TY Brazil and Nathan Palmer...i guess it deppends on avery and what Pep wants for his WR

Chapman is not a DE. He's way too short and has no speed. He is built to take on double teams and stand his ground. Thats about it. 

that seems to be the consensus on the guy but I was trying to think outside the box.   thx   ;)

Bama is my second college team, can't help it where I live. I'm not putting Chapman down, but what do we really know about him? He played valiantly through injury for the Tide. That's a given.

But Bama fans will tell you he was no Mount Cody. And he hasn't exactly set he league on fire so far.

I'm not saying he's going to be a bust, just that we should temper our expectations until we actually see him play one NFL game.

i know people wont like that but i can see us takinga  wr after a trade down or something ...there is no way we go to the season with Reggie TY Brazil and Nathan Palmer...i guess it deppends on avery and what Pep wants for his WR

Why don't you think we would go into the season with who we have now at WR? It's exactly who we went into last season with, with the exception of Avery. With a yr. of experience under the rookie's belts next season, I could easily see us going into the season with who we have right now. I could however, see us drafting a WR later in the draft or sign a low level FA. We are not nearly as bad off at WR as a lot people make it out to be. Like I said, If we do not add a WR we'll go into the season with pretty much exactly who we had last season and they'll all have a yr. of experience.

Bama is my second college team, can't help it where I live. I'm not putting Chapman down, but what do we really know about him? He played valiantly through injury for the Tide. That's a given.

But Bama fans will tell you he was no Mount Cody. And he hasn't exactly set he league on fire so far.

I'm not saying he's going to be a bust, just that we should temper our expectations until we actually see him play one NFL game.

I agree and said as much last yr. when everybody was sure he would be back after week 6 and would instantly upgrade our d-line. The guy hasn't proven anything in the NFL and IMO is a little undersized for a NFL NT. I know he's strong as heck and done great in college, but the pro's is a far different animal and the talent is much better. Plus the players are bigger and stronger. I hope he is who many make him out to be, but I'm certainly not sold on him yet.

There is one thing that has been consistent for the last 6 years or more on all Colts boards. Fans predict a selection of DT in the first round and they are wrong 100% of the time, (excluding the #1 pick last season). This year will continue that trend.

I will predict that WR, DT, TE, and RB will not be one of the positions taken with our first pick if we stay at our spot.

There is one thing that has been consistent for the last 6 years or more on all Colts boards. Fans predict a selection of DT in the first round and they are wrong 100% of the time, (excluding the #1 pick last season). This year will continue that trend.

I will predict that WR, DT, TE, and RB will not be one of the positions taken with our first pick if we stay at our spot.

I'm thinking CB or Safety. I agree with what you said with the exception of possibly a DT. WR, TE, and RB are out of the question in my mind, but DT could be a possibility.

"The past is prologue..." I agree with 3 of those positions, but wouldn't rule out DT this year. Different D scheme, different coaches, different GM, and most importantly, the draft class seems to be fairly strong at DT.

Jenkins may be available at 24 if he doesn't blow everyone away at the combine. Wouldn't you love having that man mountain on our D line?

Why don't you think we would go into the season with who we have now at WR? It's exactly who we went into last season with, with the exception of Avery. With a yr. of experience under the rookie's belts next season, I could easily see us going into the season with who we have right now. I could however, see us drafting a WR later in the draft or sign a low level FA. We are not nearly as bad off at WR as a lot people make it out to be. Like I said, If we do not add a WR we'll go into the season with pretty much exactly who we had last season and they'll all have a yr. of experience.

I really like our WRs and wouldn't be disappointed if we went into next season with what we had last year, but there is still room for improvement. It is definitely in the realm of possibility that we draft or pick up a WR in FA - especially if Avery goes.

I really like our WRs and wouldn't be disappointed if we went into next season with what we had last year, but there is still room for improvement. It is definitely in the realm of possibility that we draft or pick up a WR in FA - especially if Avery goes.

I agree, but like I said IMO it will be a mid to late rd. draft pick or a low level FA.