Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rank QB's / Elite QB's (merge)

ÅÐØNϧ 1

Who's really Elite ? I asked myself what is the criteria ? I was reading a blog by a Patriot fan , his favorite subject Tom Brady .

Tom Brady with no fan fare took the league by storm late round pick off the bench replaces Drew Bledsoe & never looks back is an elite QB in most peoples minds . Fan propaganda aside .

Peyton Manning my choice was expected to succeed . I have nothing but respect for there careers.

This is the link http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/01/28/elite-quarterbacks-in-the-nfl/

So who really is & isn't ?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st Tier: Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees

All others are below. Flacco shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as these guys when talking about "elite."

QBs I would take over Flacco: 

1. Peyton

2. Brady

3. Rodgers

4. Brees

5. Eli

6. Roethlisberger

7. Ryan

8. Rivers

9. Luck

10. RG3

11. Wilson

12. Cam Newton

1st Tier: Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees

All others are below. Flacco shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as these guys when talking about "elite."

QBs I would take over Flacco: 

1. Peyton

2. Brady

3. Rodgers

4. Brees

5. Eli

6. Roethlisberger

7. Ryan

8. Rivers

9. Luck

10. RG3

11. Wilson

12. Cam Newton

LOL  Before I read the article I felt the same about Flacco but after considering the criteria I have to grudgingly admit he deserves to be in the conversation based on the facts & stats. At this point of there career the rookies were not included .

As far as your list I would put him as 7 .

I think Joe gets a lot of "Flack-O" for making the comments that he IS elite.  I will go on record as saying I am in NO way a fan, but Flacco's post-season was tremendous....AKA......elite.  11 TDs and Zero INTs in the playoffs and a Super Bowl?  He has got to be in the conversation even if he is not likeable...say like JaMarcus Russell or Jay Cutler.... :funny:

I am putting him at 7 as well; in front of Matt Ryan due to playoff presence/Super Bowl and in front of our great rookie class and Cam....Just the big dog's opinion.....feel free to attempt to change it :)  Higher or lower?  :)

Andrew Luck  comes up twice  Wilson & RG3 a whole lot more in that article . I was under the impression that RG3 is over hyped I see this & have to concede I was mistaken .

He's not overrated no matter how many people on this board try to convince others that he is (not a shot at you btw, but a lot of other people say that). He's a terrific athlete that can make plays with his legs, but doesn't necessarily rely on them. He's an above average pocket passer. Compliment that with his speed and he's one of the most dangerous players in the league. 

He's not overrated no matter how many people on this board try to convince others that he is (not a shot at you btw, but a lot of other people say that). He's a terrific athlete that can make plays with his legs, but doesn't necessarily rely on them. He's an above average pocket passer. Compliment that with his speed and he's one of the most dangerous players in the league. 

This is a great post Dustin.  We can be Colts fans and appreciate the abilities of one extremely dangerous and talented quarterback....the man can flat out play!

Rank your top 16 (top half) qbs in the NFL. The way I'm doing my list is if next season I had to win one game, who would I pick first as my qb?, who would be second?, etc. I'm going off of what I know, and mixing in a little bit of improvement (for example, Peyton I expect to be even better b/c of improved football shape, more arm strength, etc, and like for Luck, I expect a jump in his development from year one to year two).

1. Peyton
2. Rodgers
3. Brady
4. Brees
5. Eli
6. Big Ben
7. Matt Ryan
8. Flacco
9. Romo (Still can score tds like crazy)
10. Rivers (He had a horrible season, but he can still score tds)
11. Wilson (He was ROTY imo, I expect another good season)
12. Luck (He finished the year strong, and is the smartest of the young qbs)
13. Kaepernick (a better RG3 imo)
14. Stafford (his 2011 season was great, drop off last year, but I expect at least 28 tds from him this year)
15. RG3 (his injury will really hinder his run ability, we'll find out how good he is a mostly pure passer)
16. Dalton

P.S. My list isn't set up to be a prediction of how I think these qbs will rank at the end of next year's SB.

In no particular order:

Tier 1: Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning

Tier 2: Eli, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Ryan

Tier 3: Rivers, Romo, Stafford, Vick, Dalton, Cutler, Palmer, Schaub, 

Tier 4: Luck, Kaep, RG3, Wilson, Bradford, Newton

Tier 5: Ponder, Sanchez, Cassel, Locker, Tannehill, Weeden, Freeman

Tier 6: Cardinals

In no particular order:

First two tiers completely agree with you there.  Middle tiers I think we would need a couple sub levels to distinguish certain guys (rivers/romo are way better than vick, etc). But your last tier....that was perfect.  Well done there.  Sadly, that isn't a joke for cardinal fans.

In no particular order:

I think this is the only way to really rate guys. There are "risers" and "sinkers" of course, in each tier... in other words, just because Luck is in your Tier 4 group, does not mean I wouldn't take him over Rivers, Romo, Stafford, etc. (Because I would. In a heartbeat.)

In no particular order:

Good stuff..the top two tiers are pretty solid...I would drop Andy Dalton to Tier 4...and, to be honest I'd drop Joe Flacco to Tier 3

In no particular order:

Still hanging on to the myth that is micheal vick lol

I think Joe gets a lot of "Flack-O" for making the comments that he IS elite.  I will go on record as saying I am in NO way a fan, but Flacco's post-season was tremendous....AKA......elite.  11 TDs and Zero INTs in the playoffs and a Super Bowl?  He has got to be in the conversation even if he is not likeable...say like JaMarcus Russell or Jay Cutler.... :funny:

I am putting him at 7 as well; in front of Matt Ryan due to playoff presence/Super Bowl and in front of our great rookie class and Cam....Just the big dog's opinion.....feel free to attempt to change it :)  Higher or lower?   :)

I personally prefer Matt Ryan, and I think he's a better quarterback, but I think arguing for Flacco ahead of him at this point makes sense. Still, the highest he could ever get is 7th, and out of 32, that's not "elite." That's not "best of the best."

Everyone has an opinion.  Mine is the first 4 are Top Gun.  The next 4 are Elite. The next 2 Very Good, next 2 Good.  The next 10 average.  The follwing 4 Poor, the next 4 Very Poor, and next is are you kidding me (Jets) and last is AZ (agreeing with earlier poster, lol).  Eli and Flacco make up the final 2 Elite on my list, for now.  

Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees. That's it. No one else. Not yet, anyway. No one plays like they do and has command like they do...so we will have to wait and see how other guys develop in the next five years. Curious as to who will be considered "elite" once Brady/Manning retire.

I personally prefer Matt Ryan, and I think he's a better quarterback, but I think arguing for Flacco ahead of him at this point makes sense. Still, the highest he could ever get is 7th, and out of 32, that's not "elite." That's not "best of the best."

I like Matt's similarity to number 18 as a cool customer.  The ONLY reason he is below Joe in mine is playoff performance and a Super Bowl.  I do mean the only reason.  I truly like Ryan better.

In no particular order:

This...I would put Sanchez with the Cardinals though lol

In no particular order:

I think this is the only way to really rate guys. There are "risers" and "sinkers" of course, in each tier... in other words, just because Luck is in your Tier 4 group, does not mean I wouldn't take him over Rivers, Romo, Stafford, etc. (Because I would. In a heartbeat.)

tiers are a must otherwise u just stir constant debate over incidentals that cancel each other out and really cant always quantify

also agree about risers and sinkers , just because someone is currently  in a lower tier based on less experience etc, doesnt mean that there is such a potential that u wouldn't want them now and reverse is true for upper tiers

But thats a separate topic, Name top QB's u would want on your team or something to that effect

Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees. That's it. No one else. Not yet, anyway. No one plays like they do and has command like they do...so we will have to wait and see how other guys develop in the next five years. Curious as to who will be considered "elite" once Brady/Manning retire.

Those are my Top Gun's.  The next 4 are my Wingman.  Wingman in my book are elite, but not Top gun, but Top Gun are definitely elite.  So I have have Elite Eight.  Just like I feel the top 8 in the playoffs are the Elite teams of the year.  the other 24 from very good to ick.

In no particular order:

I like the way you broke it down and agree for the most part.  However, I'd put Kaep and the rookies well above Vick and Palmer for sure and I'd strongly consider demoting Stafford as well after the season he had.  I somewhat expect 2 out of the 3 big name rookies to prove to be borderline Tier 2 QBs by the end of next season... although I'm not sure I'd be willing to guess which two make the big jump.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Luck progress more slowly than expected, Wilson to outright regress, or Griffin to barely even play.

Any list that doesn't have Curtis Painter at the top of it is wrong.  Dude was so good the NFL kicked him out the league because it was unfair for a team to have him.  He was with the Colts and landed them Luck and then went to the Ravens and the next thing you know they are winning the Super Bowl!

Those are my Top Gun's.  The next 4 are my Wingman.  Wingman in my book are elite, but not Top gun, but Top Gun are definitely elite.  So I have have Elite Eight.  Just like I feel the top 8 in the playoffs are the Elite teams of the year.  the other 24 from very good to ick.

I get what you're saying but to me elite is the best of the best, above all others. In your example I see that Top Gun could easily be another meaning for elite. I would put Roethlisberger, Eli, maybe Flacco in the next group, but they aren't the best of the best. They do what they can, but they aren't real masters or elite in my opinion. I think the thing with the playoffs is that there are different teams almost every year...for example, just because Vikings made it this year, I wouldn't classify Ponder anywhere near elite. I see what you mean, though.

I like the way you broke it down and agree for the most part.  However, I'd put Kaep and the rookies well above Vick and Palmer for sure and I'd strongly consider demoting Stafford as well after the season he had.  I somewhat expect 2 out of the 3 big name rookies to prove to be borderline Tier 2 QBs by the end of next season... although I'm not sure I'd be willing to guess which two make the big jump.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Luck progress more slowly than expected, Wilson to outright regress, or Griffin to barely even play.

Eh, I don't know about two of the rookies jumping to tier 2 after only two seasons, unless one of them wins the Super Bowl of course. Ryan and Flacco are the ones who kickstarted this rookie QB success thing and in my mind it took both of them more than two seasons to reach the second tier. Ryan is a great player and deserves to be there even with his playoff troubles, but I don't know if 12/Griff/Wilson can make the jump quite easily. They might be above a few guys in tier 3 such as Palmer or Vick but I still wouldn't put them with the established veterans who have each won at least one Super Bowl (aside from Ryan, of course, but he is teetering between two and three as it is). By year three perhaps, as I expect all three of them to continue to continue to improve.

I posted this yesterday in another thread:

If you ask John Clayton, there are as many as 13 elite quarterbacks
in the NFL, and that has included Joe Flacco for at least the past two
seasons.

As you can tell, I think that's ridiculous. Not just the inclusion of
Flacco, but specifically including almost half the starting
quarterbacks in the NFL in the "elite" category. That word means "the
best of a group or category." To me, there are four guys that are above
the rest: Brady, Brees, P. Manning and Rodgers (alphabetical order ;)). They are the "elite" to me.

Then Group 2, in whatever order you want, there's Roethlisberger, Eli
Manning, Ryan, Flacco (after this year's playoffs). I want to include
the young guys in this category, but I think there's still a separation
for now, so my third category specifically is made up of young players
that don't have a long enough resume, but appear to be well on their
way: Luck, Griffin, Wilson and Kaepernick, in whatever order. I'd take
all those young guys in Group 3 ahead of anyone else on this list, even
the next group of good veterans.

Group 4 is Schaub, Rivers, Cutler, Romo, Stafford, and Vick, all
veterans with large bodies of work, and they are good, but haven't
proven to be really good, or have consistently come up short.
Their teams sometimes win because they play their role well, not because
of them. Or if the team does rely on them in big situations, they prove
to be limited. Two months ago, Flacco was here.

Group 5 is Bradford, Newton and Freeman, young guys with tons of
promise and potential, but still haven't really put it together. Group 6
is limited young guys: Locker, Ponder, Sanchez, Dalton, Gabbert, Foles.
Group 7 is limited veterans: Palmer, Fitzpatrick, Cassel, Kolb, Smith.
Group 8 is young guys that I'm very unsure about: Tannehill, Weeden.
Group 9 is fringe guys and backups.

Anyways, I think "elite" is, by definition, very exclusive. It should
be restricted to the very best of the best, and to me, there's a clear
separation between the top four and everyone else. Doesn't mean I
wouldn't take any of those other guys, especially in Groups 2 and 3.

I get what you're saying but to me elite is the best of the best, above all others. In your example I see that Top Gun could easily be another meaning for elite. I would put Roethlisberger, Eli, maybe Flacco in the next group, but they aren't the best of the best. They do what they can, but they aren't real masters or elite in my opinion. I think the thing with the playoffs is that there are different teams almost every year...for example, just because Vikings made it this year, I wouldn't classify Ponder anywhere near elite. I see what you mean, though.

I get what you are saying too.  but to me, your Elite is my my 'Sure Fire Hall of Fame'.  I feel a player in any sport can be elite for a span, yet not accrue the credentials over a career to be HOF.  Flacco and E. Manning are definitely elite to me in that vein, and they may still accrue the credentials to make the HOF down the road.  

John Clayton has a HOF vote and has been around football forever and he;s liked Flacco since 2008. I guess my beef with Eli and Flacco are that their teams are so good that at times, they go cold, often because their team is carrying the day and they don't have to.  So they aren't consistent even though at the end of the day, their numbers add up. So, I still include them, especially while they pile up playoff wins (especially on the road) and Super Bowl victories and MVP's.  How can I not?

I get what you are saying too.  but to me, your Elite is my my 'Sure Fire Hall of Fame'.  I feel a player in any sport can be elite for a span, yet not accrue the credentials over a career to be HOF.  Flacco and E. Manning are definitely elite to me in that vein, and they may still accrue the credentials to make the HOF down the road.  

John Clayton has a HOF vote and has been around football forever and he;s liked Flacco since 2008. I guess my beef with Eli and Flacco are that their teams are so good that at times, they go cold, often because their team is carrying the day and they don't have to.  So they aren't consistent even though at the end of the day, their numbers add up. So, I still include them, especially while they pile up playoff wins (especially on the road) and Super Bowl victories and MVP's.  How can I not?

I object to the notion that Flacco has piled up playoff wins. Up until this postseason, he's had some really terrible games in playoff wins. The Ravens have piled up playoff wins, oftentimes in spite of Flacco. They beat the Patriots of all teams in 2009, and Flacco was 4/10 for 34 yards and a pick. And then they lost to the Patriots last year, despite one of Flacco's best games. This is why I'm dismissive of "playoff wins" as a meaningful way of judging a quarterback.

As for the HOF guys, I don't think that top four is for sure in just yet. Manning and Brady, sure. Maybe Brees as well. But if Rodgers quits tomorrow, he's not getting in. This status isn't necessarily about a career's worth of elite play. It's about a sustained period of top notch play, despite whatever circumstances they've faced. The level of play those guys have sustained for several years now (particularly Brady and Manning) hasn't even been reached by the rest of the players in this league, much less sustained. Matt Ryan got there this year, and another year would probably put him on the top level. But there's a significant drop off in production and consistency from that top level to the next level, and that's why those guys are beating down the door to the HOF.

If you go to buy a sports car and you tell the sales guy "I want your elite performance vehicle, and I'm prepared to spend in order to get the best," and he brings you the 7th or 8th best, wouldn't that be a problem? Elite is the top, the best. There might be some pros and cons among the top three or four, but there's a significant difference once you get outside that top group. It's probably a semantics issue at this point. I think "elite" is the cream of the crop, and as such, I can't get with the idea that 25% of the league's quarterbacks are elite (or nearly 50%, if you listen to Clayton). To me, that "elite" label is hard earned, and it's not necessarily tied to Super Bowls or playoff wins.

I like Matt's similarity to number 18 as a cool customer.  The ONLY reason he is below Joe in mine is playoff performance and a Super Bowl.  I do mean the only reason.  I truly like Ryan better.

IMO, Ryan played fantastic in the playoffs this year. If it wasn't for Henry Douglas tripping over his own feet on that last drive vs the 49ers, the falcons are in the Super Bowl. Never watched the falcons much b4 this year and I was surprised at how impressive Ryan was.

IMO, Ryan played fantastic in the playoffs this year. If it wasn't for Henry Douglas tripping over his own feet on that last drive vs the 49ers, the falcons are in the Super Bowl. Never watched the falcons much b4 this year and I was surprised at how impressive Ryan was.

I agree with you.I think he played well too.  I think some of my downgrading came in the Seattle game with some clock management issues.....of course Seattle had theirs as well.  Ryan had a great year as did the Falcons.  Like I said, Flacco won...with 11 TDs vs Zero INTs and a Super Bowl ring.  The only reason I put him one ahead....(Truth be told I like Ryan better.)  :)

I agree with you.I think he played well too.  I think some of my downgrading came in the Seattle game with some clock management issues.....of course Seattle had theirs as well.  Ryan had a great year as did the Falcons.  Like I said, Flacco won...with 11 TDs vs Zero INTs and a Super Bowl ring.  The only reason I put him one ahead....(Truth be told I like Ryan better.)  :)

I must admit....I didn't think flacco was capable of that playoff performance....or anything close to it...he def proved me wrong.

I must admit....I didn't think flacco was capable of that playoff performance....or anything close to it...he def proved me wrong.

I am not one to say Jim Caldwell is exceptional at anything other than being a great person, but letting Flacco throw the ball 40+ yards with those 'bigs' was what Joe needed.  I never was a Cam Cameron fan at all.  I think he held Flacco back.  I once again HAVE to say....I am NOT a Flacco fan!!!

I object to the notion that Flacco has piled up playoff wins. Up until this postseason, he's had some really terrible games in playoff wins. The Ravens have piled up playoff wins, oftentimes in spite of Flacco. They beat the Patriots of all teams in 2009, and Flacco was 4/10 for 34 yards and a pick. And then they lost to the Patriots last year, despite one of Flacco's best games. This is why I'm dismissive of "playoff wins" as a meaningful way of judging a quarterback.

I admit Eli and Flacco take a game or two off here and there.  But they rarely throw bunches of picks and fumble huge games away either, allowing their winns to pile up Wins are important too.  It's how the the SB is won. And I hear Flacco has more playoff wins since 2008 than Brady. Manning, Brees, and Roethlisberger.  All of them.  The SB and HOF kings on peoples lists.  You can, but I cannot dismiss that.

As for the HOF guys, I don't think that top four is for sure in just yet. Manning and Brady, sure. Maybe Brees as well. But if Rodgers quits tomorrow, he's not getting in. This status isn't necessarily about a career's worth of elite play. It's about a sustained period of top notch play, despite whatever circumstances they've faced. The level of play those guys have sustained for several years now (particularly Brady and Manning) hasn't even been reached by the rest of the players in this league, much less sustained. Matt Ryan got there this year, and another year would probably put him on the top level. But there's a significant drop off in production and consistency from that top level to the next level, and that's why those guys are beating down the door to the HOF.

Rodgers is still on the outside looking in, but only career ending injury keeps him out.  The others are in already, even Brees.

If you go to buy a sports car and you tell the sales guy "I want your elite performance vehicle, and I'm prepared to spend in order to get the best," and he brings you the 7th or 8th best, wouldn't that be a problem? Elite is the top, the best. There might be some pros and cons among the top three or four, but there's a significant difference once you get outside that top group. It's probably a semantics issue at this point. I think "elite" is the cream of the crop, and as such, I can't get with the idea that 25% of the league's quarterbacks are elite (or nearly 50%, if you listen to Clayton). To me, that "elite" label is hard earned, and it's not necessarily tied to Super Bowls or playoff wins.

Well, I'm not so sure that carries water either.  We are talking all QB's of the league, so we are also talking all sports cars.  If I go and I get this list-

Nissan GT-R
Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1

but I complain I was looking at only these-

Ferrari 458 Spider
Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
Lamborghini Aventador
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
Aston Martin One-77
Porsce 911 Turbo S
Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4SV
Saleen S7 Twin-Turbo

And he tells me to look up the Nissan GT-R numbers in comparison to all of those and anymore I care to drum up, and then take it for a spin, I just might be swayed.

The QB is the most important spot these days, and the best of All QB's are taken every year hoping to get up echelon NFL QB.  We are talking best of the best college QB's every year.  Those upper 8 NFL QB's are indeed elite.  * out of the whole world!  and only 32 spots. And yet taking the best of the best college QB's ever year and some teams still have clunkers at the position.  They want a winner, no matter whether it is Italian wrapped in Ferrari Red or a flat black Nissan GT-R.

Andrew Luck has less than stellar numbers, but has wins. I'm good with that.  I think many here aren't happy unless there are bulging stat lines though.  IMHO, if you're winning, and not putting up huge numbers, then you are putting up the right numbers.