Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brackett & Sims Out This Sunday (Merge)

bayone

The Indianapolis Colts will be without two linebackers, including defensive captain GaryBrackett for Sunday’s game against Cleveland at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Colts coach Jim Caldwell today ruled out Brackett, the middle linebacker, with a bruised left shoulder as well as veteran reserve outside linebacker Ernie Sims, who sprained a knee in last week’s season opener at Houston.

The Colts aren’t known for divulging such details about a player’s status on Wednesdays, so Caldwell was asked later if Brackett holds out hope he could still play.

“Well, I can tell you when I said those two guys are out, unless some miracle occurs, OK?” he said. “And it’s happened with a couple guys.

Brackett talked to reporters and said the shoulder was “still sore.” He left open the possibility it could improve enough to play Sunday. He was hurt when tackled after an interception return.

“Just some edema in there, some swelling,” Brackett said. “We’ll see how it recovers.

“Right now, we’re just taking it day-by-day. Hopefully it improves. If not, it’s the next man up.”

INDY STAR

My link

They resigned Nate Triplett.

I am happy to see Triplett back on the squad.

Althought he's no Ray Lewis, Triplett saw a lot of playing time at MLB during the preseason, and I thought he did a nice job.

He hustles on every play and seems to have the natural instincts. Good tackler.

They resigned Nate Triplett.

I am happy to see Triplett back on the squad.

Althought he's no Ray Lewis, Triplett saw a lot of playing time at MLB during the preseason, and I thought he did a nice job.

He hustles on every play and seems to have the natural instincts. Good tackler.

I am very happy to hear that. :D I thought Tripplett played very well in preseason, especially against the run. He is much closer to a true MIKE than Brackett will ever be. As long as Coyer doesn't try to turn him into a safety...erm I mean a tampa 2 MLB then I think he could do very well. :)

That is true, brackett has been getting injured more lately... not like its his fault though especially after that play on sunday... Definitely looking forward to seeing Pat play at MLB again, he seems like hes made alot of progress from last year. Hopefully sims injury isnt that bad that he can play the week after.

about a hour late...topic is discussed in the Brackett post...mods merge...

That brackett post was there for days and pages long, didnt realize this was noted in it today,. Plus it had sims too so I made a mistake it happens , mergers are welcome,

I checked to see a similar headline like mine but uI do admit I didnt read the latest in the bracket post again as it was pages & days old

I am human, what can i say

That is true, brackett has been getting injured more lately... not like its his fault though especially after that play on sunday... Definitely looking forward to seeing Pat play at MLB again, he seems like hes made alot of progress from last year. Hopefully sims injury isnt that bad that he can play the week after.

Really? The guy seemed to forget how to tackle last week. He thought arm tackles would stop the RBs while the RB just ran through the arm tackles.

Very disappointed to see Brackett and Sims out. Sims just cannot catch a break. I think had he stayed healthy in the preseason he would have been starting over Conner. This will defiantly not help his cause to take over later in the season.

We are paper thin now at LB.

Brackett might be done with the Colts after this season. It seems the front office understands we have issues at linebacker (drafted Angerer, signed Sims, lots of juggling between backup/PS guys), and I hope they have learned their lesson about injured players from Bob Sanders. Brackett is small and getting older, so I don't see him magically being healthy for a full season again.

Burfict, Te'o, or Kuechly in the draft. The more we see this defense suck, the more likely one of those guys becomes a Colt.

MY OP article has some injury history

Since becoming a full-time starter in 2005, Brackett has missed a dozen starts out of a possible 97 regular-season games. He missed four games last season, two in 2009 and four in 2008.

Brackett might be done with the Colts after this season. It seems the front office understands we have issues at linebacker (drafted Angerer, signed Sims, lots of juggling between backup/PS guys), and I hope they have learned their lesson about injured players from Bob Sanders. Brackett is small and getting older, so I don't see him magically being healthy for a full season again.

Burfict, Te'o, or Kuechly in the draft. The more we see this defense suck, the more likely one of those guys becomes a Colt.

The contract Brackett signed before last season forces the issue. His cap hit more than doubles next season to $5 million, then $6.6 in the final two years. I always expected something to give after year three, at the latest. But with the injuries last season, and him figuring to miss probably a few weeks this season, we might not have him next year. I like him, I appreciate him, and I hope he can stay healthy once he gets back, but I do think we could do better at MLB than him.

I can't tell you how much I hope you're right. No way Brackett is worth $5 mill. He's a coverage LB who, on any other team probably plays only in nickel and dime packages at the most. We definitely need an upgrade at MLB and my vote goes to Burfict. In the meantime though I hope to see Tripplett make it onto the field some. He, Angerer and Conner could be pretty stout against the run...at least more stout than we've ever seen from our LB's that is. lol

Really? The guy seemed to forget how to tackle last week. He thought arm tackles would stop the RBs while the RB just ran through the arm tackles.

Very disappointed to see Brackett and Sims out. Sims just cannot catch a break. I think had he stayed healthy in the preseason he would have been starting over Conner. This will defiantly not help his cause to take over later in the season.

We are paper thin now at LB.

I dont get what the "really" is for. its not like im defending the guy or anything. Pat is the better tackler.

MY OP article has some injury history

Since becoming a full-time starter in 2005, Brackett has missed a dozen starts out of a possible 97 regular-season games. He missed four games last season, two in 2009 and four in 2008.

12/97 isnt that bad but i think the way he gets injured says a bit more.. his injury last week didnt look that bad its probably cause of age maybe.

Hopefully Sims isn't injured too bad. I'd want to see him back and eventually be a starter. I think the LB crew should be Sims, Brackett Angerer.

I like this lineup. Sims can tackle and Brackett drops into coveratge well. Angerer seems to be improving.

For this Sunday, I see

Conner, Angerer, Wheeler.

12/97 isnt that bad but i think the way he gets injured says a bit more.. his injury last week didnt look that bad its probably cause of age maybe.

Age ang and I think under that pile we may not of gotten a proper look when exactly injured or the wieght with which his shoulder crashed into the ground I imagine,

Just glad it wasnt me ( lol )

Thank You for the support

We've been missing your reports here lately. Way too much shoulda woulda coulda going on here and not enough solid info and positive, constructive input.

You were right to create a separate thread for this. I had no idea as I had stopped reading the 'Brackett-injured' thread as it had dragged on too long.

I'm telling you Burfict is the one we want.

Per channel 13 news with a bruised left shoulder. Doctors noticed some swelling so they want him to sit out this weekend.

Caldwell: "I can tell you those two guys are out unless some miracle occurs (Gary and Sims) and it's happened with a couple guys and often-times I try to avoid telling you that because if he happens to pop up and say you know what coach I can go, we're gonna' let him go and I just have to come back and tell you guys I was wrong. What he thinks you know . . . he always thinks he can go".

Well, that stinks....I like Brackett a lot, hopefully he'll be at the game to provide moral support to the crew. It looks like the game will not be televised in northern Indiana, (They are showing us Detroit..ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????) rather than the Colts, so I will be relegated to listening over the internet. I am still debating whether I should have cancelled my Sunday Ticket, but it's hard to justify the cost. (Replacing a television after a foot goes through it gets expensive after a while)

We've been missing your reports here lately. Way too much shoulda woulda coulda going on here and not enough solid info and positive, constructive input.

You were right to create a separate thread for this. I had no idea as I had stopped reading the 'Brackett-injured' thread as it had dragged on too long.

I am busy with serious health issues of my own and & a mother who not only has a brain tumor at age 93 but has developed severe short term memory loss over the summer, My time is getting quite limited, my own health is suffering but must care for my mother , have had to hire Am & PM help, lock up her meds and many other things and my dr list is ever growing and calender quite full with apointments, often a few a day

I love the Colts but MOM IS MY PRIORITY

And all of a sudden, our depth at LBer is paper thin. I was excited about Sims too, hopefully he will be back soon.

Not really, this is what depth is for, the Colts lost two LBers (one starter, one primary nickel) and I don't think there is going to be much of a difference with Conner/Angerer/Wheeler and then Angerer/Moten in the nickle.

A team can only have 53 players, you can't have depth for your depth.

I am busy with serious health issues of my own and & a mother who not only has a brain tumor at age 93 but has developed severe short term memory loss over the summer, My time is getting quite limited, my own health is suffering but must care for my mother , have had to hire Am & PM help, lock up her meds and many other things and my dr list is ever growing and calender quite full with apointments, often a few a day

I love the Colts but MOM IS MY PRIORITY

Your priority is flawless...prayers sent for you and your mother.

Scott

Your priority is flawless...prayers sent for you and your mother.

Scott

appreciate it Scott, I was able to send to all at once my friends on direct colts a message regarding many issues last month or so and may have wrote a personal blog there regarding it, but have no idea how to send to all friends here, am not starting a thread and do let all new friends here & on direct colts know that Posts may dwindle with a short message as to why

was a time I did 14 blogs a day on direct colts, and many threads here

My Best Regards , Barry

I can't tell you how much I hope you're right. No way Brackett is worth $5 mill. He's a coverage LB who, on any other team probably plays only in nickel and dime packages at the most. We definitely need an upgrade at MLB and my vote goes to Burfict. In the meantime though I hope to see Tripplett make it onto the field some. He, Angerer and Conner could be pretty stout against the run...at least more stout than we've ever seen from our LB's that is. lol

I hope to draft some LB upgrades as well, but I think that Angerer plays better in the middle so I'd say we need upgraded on the Outside and CB position more.

I hope to draft some LB upgrades as well, but I think that Angerer plays better in the middle so I'd say we need upgraded on the Outside and CB position more.

Honestly I think we need to upgrade both MLB and OLB. I like what I've seen from Angerer but I'm not convinced yet that he could be the type of MLB that I think we need for the future.

It's just that there are several monster MLB's coming out in the next draft and if we could nab one of them then that person (hopefully Burfict) then he could compete with Angerer for both ILB and MLB positions and the coaching staff could simply play them in the best combos and formation to match their skill sets. And then if it turns out that Angerer winds up not being an elite LB then he's certainly great for depth.