Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brackett & Sims Out This Sunday (Merge)

bayone

That brackett post was there for days and pages long, didnt realize this was noted in it today,. Plus it had sims too so I made a mistake it happens , mergers are welcome,

I checked to see a similar headline like mine but uI do admit I didnt read the latest in the bracket post again as it was pages & days old

I am human, what can i say

You did a good job posting it. I started the Brackett injury thread which turned into a debate of who is a better linebacker by some people. Thanks for the update.

I am very happy to hear that. :D I thought Tripplett played very well in preseason, especially against the run. He is much closer to a true MIKE than Brackett will ever be. As long as Coyer doesn't try to turn him into a safety...erm I mean a tampa 2 MLB then I think he could do very well. :)

lol, I bet the first play of the game all the LB's drop back in coverage

You did a good job posting it. I started the Brackett injury thread which turned into a debate of who is a better linebacker by some people. Thanks for the update.

Yes it seemed to turn into Brackett Vs Angerer debate, post always seem to take a life of their own and moving in various directions not intended at by the first posting

I think we need to continue upgrading our LB corps through the draft (and I support FA pickups like Sims, because they are low-risk high-reward moves)

The only issue I see is that I beleive you will see us use our first round pick on a skill player this year, as I think we will have much improved draft position than in previous years (shocker to some of the homer-fans, I know)

I think that we could potentially be bad enough to be in the luck sweepstakes, but i also see us getting a top flight WR if we are towards the middle of round one. Reggie is still solid but is aging and Garcon has done nothing to prove that he deserves his spot.

I would love that linebacker from ND though, anyone got any potential draft spots for line backers?

I think we need to continue upgrading our LB corps through the draft (and I support FA pickups like Sims, because they are low-risk high-reward moves)

The only issue I see is that I beleive you will see us use our first round pick on a skill player this year, as I think we will have much improved draft position than in previous years (shocker to some of the homer-fans, I know)

I think that we could potentially be bad enough to be in the luck sweepstakes, but i also see us getting a top flight WR if we are towards the middle of round one. Reggie is still solid but is aging and Garcon has done nothing to prove that he deserves his spot.

I would love that linebacker from ND though, anyone got any potential draft spots for line backers?

Not sure exactly what you're asking so I'll just throw some stuff out there. Personally I'd take any of these guys:

23 Courtney Upshaw ILB 1 Alabama Sr 6-2 265 4.76

25 *Manti Te'o ILB 2 Notre Dame Jr 6-2 255 4.59

29 *Don'ta Hightower ILB 3 Alabama rJr 6-4 260 4.74

43 *Vontaze Burfict ILB 4 Arizona State Jr 6-3 250 4.67

though I think Burfict would be my preference at this point but I do need to do some more research on Te'o. Likely each of these guys will be drafted in the first and second rounds so if we want one we'll have to use a high pick. We've never used a high pick on a LB but that was under Dungy and Bill Polian (who was, imo, strongly influenced by Dungy as to what type of player to draft and what priority to put on each position) so Caldwell and Chris Polian could and hopefully will change that trend. After these guys there seems to be a pretty large gap in talent between them and the next group. Also just to point out the guys above are inside LB. OLB are listed separately on the site I got that info from and there appears to be more talent at OLB than ILB. So bottom line, if we want to bring in another MLB then we're probably going to have to strike early. If we want an OLB then we could probably wait a little longer.

I don't want to hijack this thread too much since it's about the injuries for the Cleveland game, but there's a lot more information and discussion in this site's Draft forum. :)

I dont think we miss a lot with Angerer for Brackett and Angerer is more of an inside linebacker speed-wise anyway.

But those of you who are saying the Angerer might take over for Bracket after this season or next?

It all depends on how we do..

A lot depends on how we do this Sunday.....when Angerer is the leader of the defense..

Seems now..There's a few more chips in the pot for this next game.....

I am too.

He's really good but I think, like Gary, he lacks speed for the outside...

Brackett has an uncanny knack for splitting blockers..which Pat will gain with experinece..

....but Angerer is faster and a touch stronger....

I'm not worried about Bracket missing this Sunday because this is one of our strongest positions..

and middle linebacker is Pat Angerer's natural position.

we're going to win with him.

i agree coaches will get us some ray lewis type linebackers, big guys dont get hurt all the time

I see a lot of people saying to get a Ray Lewis type LB. That would be awesome! The only problem is there is not even a handful in the entire league. I hope we can get someone in the draft that adds some size, durability, and physicality at LB, but to say for them to be like Ray Lewis would be impossible. I mean Ray Lewis has been the one of the best if not the best LB in all of football for over a decade. Those type of guys dont come around often. He has top of the line leadership, talent, power and knowledge. I hope we can, but its kind of like a team expecting to get a Peyton Manning like QB. Theyre not just sitting around.

I dont think we miss a lot with Angerer for Brackett and Angerer is more of an inside linebacker speed-wise anyway.

But those of you who are saying the Angerer might take over for Bracket after this season or next?

It all depends on how we do..

A lot depends on how we do this Sunday.....when Angerer is the leader of the defense..

Seems now..There's a few more chips in the pot for this next game.....

if angerer does good and wants more money he is gone to tenn or jax

if angerer does good and wants more money he is gone to tenn or jax

Well...maybe and maybe not. If he develops into a top MLB then I think we would keep him because MLB has been the one lb position the Colts have shown in the past that they value. If he sticks to being an OLB though then you could be right. Also keep in mind, however, that the trend of keeping OLB's through their rookie contract and then releasing them was a strategy of the Dungy/Bill Polian team. Caldwell, Coyer and Chris Polian could show different priorities.

Well...maybe and maybe not. If he develops into a top MLB then I think we would keep him because MLB has been the one lb position the Colts have shown in the past that they value. If he sticks to being an OLB though then you could be right. Also keep in mind, however, that the trend of keeping OLB's through their rookie contract and then releasing them was a strategy of the Dungy/Bill Polian team. Caldwell, Coyer and Chris Polian could show different priorities.

I agree, but it will be a couple of years before we see how that shapes up. We could have a better idea after next years draft and offseason, but many think Caldwell is on the way out so we will see if he will be around in a few years to see how the team shapes up.

I agree, but it will be a couple of years before we see how that shapes up. We could have a better idea after next years draft and offseason, but many think Caldwell is on the way out so we will see if he will be around in a few years to see how the team shapes up.

the coach is going to make some adjustments then he might be in great demand and want a raise

I agree. That's why I hope we take another MLB in the next draft to give someone to compete against Angerer for the position. That is unless Tripplett comes on strong and winds up staying on the roster.