Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton roasts players at Pro Bowl meeting & Pleas to return it to a real game

bayone

It's a yearly tradition. Peyton Manning addresses the Pro Bowl players from both the AFC and NFC teams the night before the first practices begin.

Manning admitted at his talk late Tuesday night to the attentive players from this year's Pro Bowlsquads that the "torch, or whatever it is that I do here on this night," will eventually be passed on to someone else, as the 36-year-old Denver Broncos quarterback gets closer to retirement.

He began with an impassioned plea for a return to a time when players cared about the NFL's all-star game and played at full speed.

He finished with a series of zingers that left all in attendance -- including NFL executive of football operations Ray Anderson, executive director of the NFLPA DeMaurice Smith, and this fly on the wall -- in stitches.

Manning acknowledged those in the crowd who were involved in Pro Bowl records or achievements over the years. He then turned to himself. "Peyton Manning holds the record with nine interceptions in the Pro Bowl. I want to thank PR for looking that up for me. I want to keep that record. So on Sunday, (NFC cornerbacks Charles) Tillman, (Tim) Jennings, (Patrick) Peterson, look out; I'm going to blow it every time."

» "A little announcement here -- pool volleyball, Wednesday, 3 p.m. AFC quarterbacks vs. NFC quarterbacks. Each team gets a 'need' player, and I'm in charge of picking this player for both teams. AFC, we get J.J. Watt. The NFC gets Leon Washington."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000129920/article/peyton-manning-roasts-players-at-pro-bowl-meeting

Why? If you don't want to watch, don't

It has nothing to do with my enjoyment of actually watching the game, though it is brutal to watch. I rather go watch a high school game then the Pro Bowl. The fact guys are putting themselves out there for a meaningless game and we do not even get all of the best players just makes the game worthless. You throw in the fact fans get to vote and people actually use this to debate HOF credentials makes it even worse.

I wish they would just name an All NFC and AFC team and be done with it.

It has nothing to do with my enjoyment of actually watching the game, though it is brutal to watch. I rather go watch a high school game then the Pro Bowl. The fact guys are putting themselves out there for a meaningless game and we do not even get all of the best players just makes the game worthless. You throw in the fact fans get to vote and people actually use this to debate HOF credentials makes it even worse.

The fans would still vote on that. What the difference?

But if fan vote really pulled weight Tebow would have been first string last year...

You honestly think Matt Schaub got more votes then Andrew Luck?