Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who has the Edge..Jim Caldwell or Chuck Pagano?

oldunclemark

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention that the team Caldwell coached is gone. 2/3rds are new players to the team. Lots of rookies on offense, completely new defense. If anything the other coaches would have an idea of what they are going to face from seeing what pagano did there and facing Arians offense when they played the steelers. So you could say the colts are a ravens/steelers hybrid. Fortunately that will only help so much.

I've never heard of such a thing..The Baltimore offensive coordinator is the old Indy head coach.

He Knows the Colts.

But the new Indy head coach is the former Baltimore defensive co-ordinator.?

He knows the Ravens

Can that be real??

Who REALLY has the edge/??

How does Jim know our new Colts and scheme? Sure he knows Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney and Mathis, Castonzo and Bethea but thats it as far as starters. To Answer your question though the Ravens have the edge, They are playing at home and we have no offensive line.

I'm surprised more isn't made of the fact that Pagano was their DC and how that should give us an advantage.  In fact, I haven't heard ESPN mention it at all.  I think it's a big advantage and that Pagano's game plan should be spot on.  We just have to execute it.

How does Jim know our new Colts and scheme? Sure he knows Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney and Mathis, Castonzo and Bethea but thats it as far as starters. To Answer your question though the Ravens have the edge, They are playing at home and we have no offensive line.

Good point. We're running a different scheme with a lot of different players. But the Ravens are pretty much the same team Chuck left.

Personally I think we have a bit of an advantage there because Chuck know if the Ravens are hiding any weaknesses. And maybe how to exploit them in real time.

But I agree with your last point, they have a better O line and the home field. Our D, even though they've been playing well lately, scares me more than theirs, if you know what I mean.

OUM, you are just inviting jokes and punch lines with that one.

All joking aside, Caldwell has no intimate knowledge of the Colts on how they are constructed or the schemes they are running.

Pagano has an intimate knowledge of the Ravens defensive scheme and to a lesser extent their offensive scheme minus any tweaks added this year or this week.  

Caldwell knows some strengths and weaknesses of individual players but that is basically it.

Now if you put them both in a game vs. say San Fran, it's Chuck all day long but that's from the archives of Captain Obvious.

Now when you start talking Ravens D  vs. Arians O, then I'd say from a familiarity/prep view point it's even. I'd give the edge to the Ravens due to the detailed/coach like workmanship of Ray Lewis, and the predictably of the Arians offense over the years dating back to his time in Pittsburgh. 

Now since you invited comical comments, now if you want to reword it to who has the edge  Jim Caldwell or Mr. Potato Head then I'll go with Mr. Potato Head and his interchangeable expressions. 

A019_1_20101213_e21848c9-0b4f-46b9-aac2-

I just knew Mr. Potato Head had intimate knowledge about the Ravens :)

What the heck is a Forchant?  I feel like I missed something there....... completely over my head.

Fixed it grammar police. Next time I expect your sentence to be corrected formed. There is no reason to use multiple periods and then a lower case letter to begin a new sentence. I would normally follow that with another statement, but I don't real like getting banned over a person of your caliber.

Exactly, he can know individual players strengths and weaknesses and tendencies to a point but that is about it. Just like with Gruden & the Raiders in the Super Bowl. He knew every move, every play etc, because they hired from within and didn't change anything. If they had brought in a new coach/new system, Gruden would have known the player/etc, but wouldn't have a huge insight into the new scheme. 

I'm surprised more isn't made of the fact that Pagano was their DC and how that should give us an advantage.  In fact, I haven't heard ESPN mention it at all.  I think it's a big advantage and that Pagano's game plan should be spot on.  We just have to execute it.

Its why I think the Colts will win a close one...Griz...

.Pagano knows their personell and their personall hasnt changed much since last year....Like Gavin says.,Indy has changed schemes and personall...

I think you attack the older Ravens...'Sugar Ray' and 'Easy Ed'...Challenge them short and deep with your speed.

I think we can pass block them better than we did Houston. But they know they can run on us

This is easily the most interesting game of the week.

I notice every year that 2 criteria normally determine who wins.  First, does your team have an elite QB? Second, who is the hot team?  I don't consider Flacco elite and the Colts are the hotter team.  That being said, I believe Flacco is the determining factor.  He is very inconsistent.  He has played very poorly the last 5-7 games so I am going to say we have the advantage.  I think our defense will get an interception of 2 this weekend.

I am a homer though and don't have an objective bone in my body.  Go Colts.

I don't think there's a particular advantage in this.

While our defense is similar, we have a lot of new faces that Chuck never worked with.  Ignoring the fact that a large portion of our defense is injured, we also lost a decent number of our d-line.

We also have a new defensive coordinator who thinks on a completely different level that Chuck.  He doesn't call the game in the same way, and thus it will be difficult for Chuck to know how we will respond to certain offensive plays by the Colts.

I notice every year that 2 criteria normally determine who wins.  First, does your team have an elite QB? Second, who is the hot team?  I don't consider Flacco elite and the Colts are the hotter team.  That being said, I believe Flacco is the determining factor.  He is very inconsistent.  He has played very poorly the last 5-7 games so I am going to say we have the advantage.  I think our defense will get an interception of 2 this weekend.

Not sure where you are pulling your data from on Flacco vs Luck.

Over the last 7 games, Luck has had an average QB rating of 74.95.  Throwing out the Ravens game against the Bengals where Flacco only had 8 attempts, Flacco has an average QB rating of 93.12.

Flacco has clearly performed better than Luck in recent games, even though the Colts have a better record in those games.

EDIT: Also - looking at the defensive rankings for those games - the average pass defense ranking for the Colts opponents in the last 7 games was 17.6.  On the other hand, Ravens opponents ranked 14.4.  Therefore, Flacco not only played better than Luck in the last 7 games, he also did it against better pass defenses.

I could have coached that team to the Super Bowl. Caldwell cost them that game and a trip the next year. 

Much better teams then what the Colts were that year have not went as far, Caldwell deserves credit,  That team was not near as good as some remember, you could have coached a team where Robert Mathis missed two games and only started 9? a team where Sanders only played 2 games, Clint Session only played in 14, Lets not discredit Caldwell, The guy made some questionable decisions during games but give the man credit, He had a hand in getting them to the SB

Much better teams then what the Colts were that year have not went as far, Caldwell deserves credit, That team was not near as good as some remember, you could have coached a team where Robert Mathis missed two games and only started 9? a team where Sanders only played 2 games, Clint Session only played in 14, Lets not discredit Caldwell, The guy made some questionable decisions during games but give the man credit, He had a hand in getting them to the SB

He stood on the sideline like a cigar store Indian and let Peyton do his thing. He had some of the dumbest coaching mistakes that would have got a high school coach fired.

Much better teams then what the Colts were that year have not went as far, Caldwell deserves credit, That team was not near as good as some remember, you could have coached a team where Robert Mathis missed two games and only started 9? a team where Sanders only played 2 games, Clint Session only played in 14, Lets not discredit Caldwell, The guy made some questionable decisions during games but give the man credit, He had a hand in getting them to the SB

I agree. Well said.

He stood on the sideline like a cigar store Indian and let Peyton do his thing. He had some of the dumbest coaching mistakes that would have got a high school coach fired.

The camera only showed what they wanted ya to see, Caldwell was a bit more animated and firey then that, The fact still remains we had injuries that year and we went to the SB

Mannings pic 6 in the super bowl was just horrible and it was the nail in the coffin.

How can you excuse your biggest player in the biggest game, during the biggest moment of the game from throwing a touchdown for the other team?

Why did they stop running the ball!?

I've never heard of such a thing..The Baltimore offensive coordinator is the old Indy head coach.

He Knows the Colts.

He knows the Ravens

Can that be real??

Pagano, Everything the colts run is different under him, while Baltimore still runs the same defense.

Mannings pic 6 in the super bowl was just horrible and it was the nail in the coffin.

How can you excuse your biggest player in the biggest game, during the biggest moment of the game from throwing a touchdown for the other team?

Why did they stop running the ball!?

Stop TQ.....They got beat..no excuses..

They didnt run the ball because Manning was 31 of 45 for 333/They have 99 yards rushing

..and the Colts already trailed by 24-17 when that pick (the only one of the game_) was grabbed..

..you arent running the ball at that point...

Brees was 32 of 39...and they ran an onside kick on us....

Manning played very well in that game..

He Knows the Colts.

He knows the Ravens

Can that be real??

:lol: mark this is a loaded question if I've ever seen one. Lets see Pagano vs Blinky, heck Arians vs Blinky, no contest! Plus Calwell doesn't know the Colts at all, we are a horse of a different color.