Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phil B Believes Peyton Will Be Out Till At Least Oct If Not Longer

bayone

Will the Colts undoubtedly struggle in his absence? Probably.

And, yes, I do expect him to be out a while.

While I’m not going to stick my neck out and say Manning’s neck needs another surgery and he’s done for 2011,

I will be surprised if we see him playing before October.

But the Colts still have some talent in the room.

And until they put the four-time NFL MVP on injured reserve, there’s a chance he returns this season. And if he does, say a month or two from now, this year could still be saved.

My link

Obviously, but do people think he can get the job done? I mean the guy has been retired for what a season or two? I am not saying he can't get the job done, but I wouldn't be to surprised to see them bring someone else in.

He was retired for seven weeks. His last game in the NFL he threw for over 300 yards vs us in a game we played like we had to win to win the division. He can still go.

We aren't bringing someone else in, Collins was just on the news saying he feels like he is just starting to get the system down. You aren't going to get someone else in here to learn it in a week and frankly there isn't someone else better out there to go get or we would have gotten them when we got Collins.

He was retired for seven weeks. His last game in the NFL he threw for over 300 yards vs us in a game we played like we had to win to win the division. He can still go.

We aren't bringing someone else in, Collins was just on the news saying he feels like he is just starting to get the system down. You aren't going to get someone else in here to learn it in a week and frankly there isn't someone else better out there to go get or we would have gotten them when we got Collins.

Good points! Believe me, I hope he can get the job done. I was just asking what people thought. I believe he has the weapons around him to do well and hopefully the D can do its job and help him out.

Good points! Believe me, I hope he can get the job done. I was just asking what people thought. I believe he has the weapons around him to do well and hopefully the D can do its job and help him out.

That's a fair question, I wasn't trying to jump down your throat either. I don't know if he can get the job done, I don't know if there is any back up QB in the NFL who can, but I do think he was upgrade over Painter and frankly IMO is the best backup in the NFL and the best guy the Colts could get. He has taken far less talented teams to the playoffs and again IMO took a much less talented Giants team to a Super Bowl. I don't expect him to do that but I think he gives us a fighting chance in games we play.

I would guess he will miss all of Sept. He's had vitrually no practice at this point, and wont for at least another week.

Once Oct roles around they'll probably decide if he's improved....if not, he'll have another surgery and be out for the season. If he's gotten better and fully participated in practice he'll probably be ready to start in early Oct.

I hope Collins can do well....just wish he had been in camp longer and gotten some game action with the 1st team offense.

Collins may have taken the last couple teams to the playoffs with less talent at the skill spots but he sure has had better olines during those times and I believe he has had some pretty nice RB's to work with as well in that time. We have solid skill guys but man does our oline wreak of suspect. Maybe I will be proven wrong and the oline will be a much better line than last year. It has to be much better than it was last year for collins to have a chance at succeeding on this team.

I will say this, if Manning misses his first game for this issue, I would guess this is a 4-6 week loss of his services because I don't think he just misses one or two games for the playing streak record.

6 more days and we will know what our team will look like.

Collins may have taken the last couple teams to the playoffs with less talent at the skill spots but he sure has had better olines during those times and I believe he has had some pretty nice RB's to work with as well in that time. We have solid skill guys but man does our oline wreak of suspect. Maybe I will be proven wrong and the oline will be a much better line than last year. It has to be much better than it was last year for collins to have a chance at succeeding on this team.

I will say this, if Manning misses his first game for this issue, I would guess this is a 4-6 week loss of his services because I don't think he just misses one or two games for the playing streak record.

6 more days and we will know what our team will look like.

No you are right the o-line is the key to everything. If they do well Collins has all the talent he needs to be successful here if they struggle he's going to struggle because he doesn't have Manning's release or quick feet.

I still think so many people are underestimating Kerry Collins. I'm not guaranteeing he will play well but he is definitely capable and hopefully all the doubters will light a fire under his you know what.

I would feel better about Collins if he had been brought on board earlier in the preseason to start learning the offense and getting familiar with the receivers. I wanted Collins (as a realistic option, Favre was pie in the sky in my opinion, no way he was going to come here and back up Manning) if Manning was not able to go in Week 1, but I don't like how long the Colts waited to bring him in. I posted in another thread before Collins was signed that if there was any chance that Manning would not be ready to go by Week 1, his replacement needed to be on the roster NOW. I liked the Collins signing, but I didn't like the timing.

I understand that Peyton may be out. But I will say this.......to all of those who say that we are no better then a 5 win team.....I'm getting tired of hearing that stuff. Peyton is a great player no doubt, but we will field a winning product this season. The national media has never given this club credit....They still dont. We have alot of talent on this squad.

Honestly, I hope that the playing streak record doesn't factor into this in any way. It should solely be about whether or not he is physically ready to go. Don't rush him back sooner than is prudent just to keep his streak alive. On the other hand, don't hold him out longer than necessary just because the streak was already broken. Whenever he is completely physically and mentally ready to play, that is when he should come back. If he is fully ready to go in Week 3, then he should play in Week 3. No sooner; no later.

Guest BlueShoe

Will the Colts undoubtedly struggle in his absence? Probably.

And, yes, I do expect him to be out a while.

While I’m not going to stick my neck out and say Manning’s neck needs another surgery and he’s done for 2011,

I will be surprised if we see him playing before October.

But the Colts still have some talent in the room.

And until they put the four-time NFL MVP on injured reserve, there’s a chance he returns this season. And if he does, say a month or two from now, this year could still be saved.

My link

I think as Colts fans we need to be prepared that he could miss the entire season.