Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Forum Anger Is Often Dircted At 1 Draft Pick But Its A Cumulative Thing < Not Just 1 Pick

bayone

I think its that we had Ugoh, Brown, Hughes, not to mention overpaying Sanders & Hayden & now gonzo on the bubble with in juries , all in a few short years that DRASTICLY hurt Colt Depth and SB chances thats the problem, picking on just hughes or brown as a wasted pick is leavening out a series of Colt issues

ITS A CUMULATIVE THING < NOT JUST 1 PICK

It's also unfairly ignoring all of the fantastic draft picks and free agent acquisitions made by this organization, which dramatically outweigh the questionable decisions.

+1 This post deserves a rating and thanks for the good post. Gets kind of tiring seeing all the bashes about the FO and their bad decisions. Like you said not too much is given credit for their good decisions. Let Football begin. :applause: :applause:

+1 This post deserves a rating and thanks for the good post. Gets kind of tiring seeing all the bashes about the FO and their bad decisions. Like you said not too much is given credit for their good decisions. Let Football begin. :applause: :applause:

We make a mistake, we make a mistake. I'd rather we realize we made a mistake and cut the player and keep a kid that can help us rather than hang onto dead weight. If Evans can help this team more than Brown then it makes ZERO sense to keep Brown over Evans.

We make a mistake, we make a mistake. I'd rather we realize we made a mistake and cut the player and keep a kid that can help us rather than hang onto dead weight. If Evans can help this team more than Brown then it makes ZERO sense to keep Brown over Evans.

I didn't say I was a Brown lover and I am not that impressed with what he has done and he hasn't played as well as the FO or fans thought he would but will he be cut that will be the coaches decision not the fans. I think as fans all we want is a winning team. I think Evans and other rookies have played very well in preseason so I'm sure it's a hard decision as to who will get cut. We may not like the final roster but I guess we will have to live with it. lol There may be some surprises when the cuts are posted that none of us saw coming. :banana:

It's also unfairly ignoring all of the fantastic draft picks and free agent acquisitions made by this organization, which dramatically outweigh the questionable decisions.

Excellent comment....Every team has a couple hit or misses but, the Colts thrive on using solid draft picks and free agents to build their team. A couple busts will happen, just have to get used to it.

I think if there's any "forum anger" with the Colts or their FO, it probably exists mostly in the minds of a small minority. Personally, I'm pretty happy being a fan of a team that has a FO like the Colts have. Aside from the relative lack of drama off the field, I'm pretty pleased that the Colts hold the NFL record for consecutive playoff appearances...and they may very well extend that this year. For some people, that's probably not good enough.

lets take a look at what the FO has done for us in recent years. 2005-2010

The Colts have had 52 draft picks in that span (although 2010 is still up in the air):

Pro Bowlers-

Joesph Addai- 2007

Antoine Bethea 2007, 2009

Starters:

Hayden CB-2005 2nd Rd

Addai RB- 2006 1st Rd* Pro Bowl

Bethea FS- 2006 6th Rd* Pro Bowl

Charlie Johnson OL- 2006 6th rd

Pollak OL- 2008 2nd RD

Garcon WR- 2008 6th rd

Powers DB- 2009 3rd rd

Collie WR- 2009 4th rd

Colts 1st Rd picks since 05

05 Marlin Jackson

06 Addai

07 Gonzo

08 None

09 Brown

10 Hughes

For reference I went thru some other elite teams and pro-bowlers drafted from 2005-2010:

New England - 6

Ravens - 3

Jets - 5

Cowboys - 5

Chargers - 4

GB - 4

Pitt - 3

ATL - 2

NYG - 3

Phi - 2

I guess I come in with the perspective of this..

Brown for me is a bust. The most irritating thing about this is they continue to play and push him as a back up or replacement to Addai. He isn't good enough. We have other RB that were not 1st rounders that are playing far better than Brown. Ie: Evans, Carter, James, ect. So why can't the staff just let it go and drop Brown and let these other guys shine. Beyond irritating.

I'll also say this: It's a lot easier to "hit" on your first rounders when you're picking early in the round. All of the players mentioned (Hughes, Brown, Ugoh, and Gonzo) were essentially early 2nd round picks.

That's the cost of having a successful, perennial contender that's in the playoffs every year.... If anyone prefers the alternative, I hear the Raiders and Bengals are looking for a few fans.... ;)

Wow... for a team that is "so bad" at drafting, they sure do make the playoffs an awefull lot...

We will now get to see if the Colts' success was simply Manning (carrying a bunch of scrubs) or is their actually some talent on this team that will step-up in his absence.

These next couple of weeks will be very interesting.

I think its that we had Ugoh, Brown, Hughes, not to mention overpaying Sanders & Hayden & now gonzo on the bubble with in juries , all in a few short years that DRASTICLY hurt Colt Depth and SB chances thats the problem, picking on just hughes or brown as a wasted pick is leavening out a series of Colt issues

Are you kidding us all?

The Colts find studs in late rounds every season. Do Brackett, Mathis, Bethea, Garcon, Collie, Bullett.... I guess they don't count?

Indy has whiffed on Brown and Hughes.... maybe? And the sky is falling in?

Seriously?

It's also so much easier to criticize a 1st or second rounder because their expectations are so much higher. While some of our first few picks haven't had the production desired for such a high draft pick, I think it is much more impressive that the front office can continually get HIGH production out of the later draft picks. It tells a lot about the hard work our scouting team does especially for the later round guys.

Are you kidding us all?

The Colts find studs in late rounds every season. Do Brackett, Mathis, Bethea, Garcon, Collie, Bullett.... I guess they don't count?

Indy has whiffed on Brown and Hughes.... maybe? And the sky is falling in?

Seriously?

That's the problem...on other NFL teams, most of those players would not be considered studs

So are you saying that Bethea and Mathis aren't top notch? Any team would love to have these guys!!

same with Collie and Garcon. There was even interested in Bullitt when he was a free agent this off-season and same with Brackett last year as a free agent. With that said I guess it comes down to what one would call a stud. I don't know if I would call a guy like Bullitt a stud as much as I would call him a solid starter. With that said he's a heck of a find for an undrafted free agent.

We will now get to see if the Colts' success was simply Manning (carrying a bunch of scrubs) or is their actually some talent on this team that will step-up in his absence.

These next couple of weeks will be very interesting.

While not perfect, the near future could be a lot worse and I agree, it will be very interesting.

I think you should put that coach in that package too...