Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Case Closed

SOMDColtsfan

Brown had 25 more yards rushing on only two more carries averaging a full yard more per carry than Ballard did. Ballard had one HUGE catch on the only pass thrown to him today. That's not some trump card like you are trying to make it out to be. No we wouldn't have on the game without Ballard's one catch but we also wouldn't have won without Brown's running to put us in that poistion either. Personally like I said before we have two good backs that compliment each other very well. We have a very good two back system that we need to keep using.

Agreed with the last part.

There are 3 parts to playing the running back role:

- Running (Most important)

- Receiving (tied for 2nd)

- Blocking (tied for 2nd)

Ballard blocked better than Brown did and he technically did better receiving wise as his catch won them the game.

Brown did better running the ball, but Ballard did better overall.

Ballard blocked better than Brown did and he technically did better receiving wise as his catch won them the game.

I don't think Ballard's blocking was that much better than Brown and I'll take the extra 25 yards rushing and the extra yard per carry that Brown had over one catch. I'd say frankly they were close to the same in the other two areas of the game. Take out of the fact Ballard's catch was a TD that won the game it's one 16 yard catch. Enh nice but not something to say he did better than a back who got an extra 25 yards and averaged a yard more running the ball. It's not like he had seven catches for 100 yards in addition to what he was doing on the ground.

What we saw today was that the Colts did a good job mixing up their backs up and hitting the Titans with them. Frankly I don't mind starting Ballard because I think he's more of a bruiser who can wear down a defense and tire them out and then hit them with Brown and let him hurt them with his play making speed after they are beat up some.

I don't think Ballard's blocking was that much better than Brown and I'll take the extra 25 yards rushing and the extra yard per carry that Brown had over one catch. I'd say frankly they were close to the same in the other two areas of the game. Take out of the fact Ballard's catch was a TD that won the game it's one 16 yard catch. Enh nice but not something to say he did better than a back who got an extra 25 yards and averaged a yard more running the ball. It's not like he had seven catches for 100 yards in addition to what he was doing on the ground.

What we saw today was that the Colts did a good job mixing up their backs up and hitting the Titans with them. Frankly I don't mind starting Ballard because I think he's more of a bruiser who can wear down a defense and tire them out and then hit them with Brown and let him hurt them with his play making speed after they are beat up some.

I agree with the last part...

Ballard is more of a bruising back than Brown, but he's not really a bruising back. He's not that guy that will deliver the punishing truck. I think he'd rather juke someone out than truck someone.

You're right that mixing them up go be the best thing for this running game. Then maybe even get Carter in on that occasional carry. 2 back attack was always the way to go, and this proves that Brown isn't a feature back.

Ballard is more of a bruising back than Brown, but he's not really a bruising back. He's not that guy that will deliver the punishing truck. I think he'd rather juke someone out than truck someone.

You're right that mixing them up go be the best thing for this running game. Then maybe even get Carter in on that occasional carry. 2 back attack was always the way to go, and this proves that Brown isn't a feature back.

The fact that the Colts aren't using Brown as a feature back proves that he's incapable of being a feature back? Um, ok.

I've said that about Brown since he got here. He's a homerun hitter who can be a deadly weapon but the problem with homerun hitters is that they do strike out a lot. I think having a guy like Ballard is exactly what Brown needs and frankly a guy like Brown is exactly what Ballard needs. They are the perfect change of pace backs for each other. I don't think there is a franchise back on this roster. I think we have three backs that all do certain things very well. When you put all three together and mix them up it's a deadly combo. Not unlike the Giants Earth, Wind, and Fire combo from their first Super Bowl. None of those three guys can handle a load by himself (even now Bradshaw still splits carries in New York with the other two gone.) Yet together they were as good as any feature back in the league. I am not saying our stable is at that level but I do think that is what the Colts are trying to build too. I think Carter is the great guy to bring in when you need a short yard or on the goal line which is exactly what he was brought here to do. So again I think we have three very nice backs but none are a true franchise back like what the Jags have in MJD or the Titans have in CJ or the Texans in Foster.

Where does turning the ball over factor in to this because Ballard did fumble and cost us a possession. With that in account and Browns key runs and good runs Brown was the better back today

Where does turning the ball over factor in to this because Ballard did fumble and cost us a possession. With that in account and Browns key runs and good runs Brown was the better back today

To me it's the most important thing a back does besides running with it. I would rate the four 1. Running with the ball. 2. Not turning it over. 3. Blocking. 4. Pass catching because that's the order that the backs are probably going to be asked to do things unless you are talking about a third down back like Moore then blocking and pass catching are more important.

To me it's the most important thing a back does besides running with it. I would rate the four 1. Running with the ball. 2. Not turning it over. 3. Blocking. 4. Pass catching because that's the order that the backs are probably going to be asked to do things unless you are talking about a third down back like Moore then blocking and pass catching are more important.

That's what I'm saying..but he sort of totally negates the fact that Ballard "fumbled the friggin' football"

Ballards fumble was negated by the Titans lining up in the neutral zone. The Colts got the free play out of that luckily, but had Ballard held on, it would have been a 10+ yard run.

Ballards fumble was negated by the Titans lining up in the neutral zone. The Colts got the free play out of that luckily, but had Ballard held on, it would have been a 10+ yard run.

Yea that was the only thing that saved him because Titans recovered it. But it's still a fumble in the coaches eyes and it found him on the bench from 12min left in the 2nd quarter til the 3rd quarter. Give him credit though he responded well afterwards

Ballard played better overall than Brown did.

For starters, Brown had monster holes in the latter part of the game and in OT. Those big runs were not just because of him, they were in large part because of the O-line. Nevertheless he had a good game.

Ballard not only had a good game receiving (Brown dropped a pretty easy one, and Ballard made that huge play), but Ballard's blocking was much better than Brown's. This was Ballard's best blocking game.

In the end, both performed and should be used evenly for the next couple of games. They compliment each other well.

If you take out Browns longest run of the day (19 yards) then he would of have had 61 yards on 13 carries which is 4.7 ypc rounded up. If you take away Ballards 17 yard run he would have had 38 yards on 3.4 ypc or rounded up 3.5, Brown clearly was and is the better Back and as we saw on a few runs today (as well as a couple other games this season Brown can also get you the tough yards)

Well the offsides negated the penalty, but nevertheless that wasn't good. You're right, that wasn't a positive for Ballard.

Let Luck go no huddle throughout the game, then the case would be closed, IMO.

That's how we'd be garanteed to loose games, imo. :)

No huddle is a team effort, it's not just about the QB. There are probably no more than 3-4 players in our entire offense, who'd get what to play next in a no huddle. :) Our oline is young or 2nd grade, or receivers are rookies except Reggie, our RB's are rookies except Donald, our TE are rookies, and our QB is rookie. It's just too early to go no huddle yet.

(I'm talking about the no huddle when plays called by the QB at LOS. We can script some sequence of plays and execute them however. But that's a different story, and I believe we do that time by time anyway.)

I like them both. And I think they compliment each other.

And at this point, I don't care who starts and who is 2nd string.

The starter is likely to have 14-16 carries or so.

The 2nd string is likely to have 10-12 carries or so.

Some games it might be better if Ballard is the primary guy. And there may be other games where it's better that Brown is the number one guy. Depends on the match-ups.

I see no reason to be in a TASTE GREAT!! LESS FILLING!! contest that gets us no where....

Right now, I see this as win-win, no matter what. Maybe I'll feel differently down the road after we all see more games. But for right now, it's all good!! :thmup:

Great point! The play calling was spot on, loved that little draw that sprung DB loose off the left tackle in the 4th quarter. Castanzo just pushed his man right on into the backfield while DB scampered past. Thats great coaching. Arians saw that speed rush and ran a play to use as an advantage. Great win

Think everyone knows that play having watched Freeney be a FREE 5+ yards anytime you needed it.

Shoe size should be number 5.......