Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Play calling changes?

UKColt13

Hit and miss, to me. We still ended up in way too many 3rd and longs in the 2nd half. We were just fortunate that Wayne had the game of his life. The decision to motion into an empty set out of run personel on that first 2pt attempt was one of the dumbest calls I've seen.

He did call better run plays in the 2nd half, though.

Hit and miss, to me. We still ended up in way too many 3rd and longs in the 2nd half. We were just fortunate that Wayne had the game of his life. The decision to motion into an empty set out of run personel on that first 2pt attempt was one of the dumbest calls I've seen.

He did call better run plays in the 2nd half, though.

I mentioned this in my grades. I hate empty backfield on crucial downs, unless it's long distance. If it's 3rd and short, why go empty and remove the threat of the run? It's silly to me. Same thing on a conversion attempt. I like the play we ran, but if you keep a man in the backfield, not only does the safety have to hold for a count to respect the run, but you also have a flat opportunity on the backside. To me, empty backfield on 3rd down, 4th down, and conversion attempts is bad offense.

I mentioned this in my grades. I hate empty backfield on crucial downs, unless it's long distance. If it's 3rd and short, why go empty and remove the threat of the run? It's silly to me. Same thing on a conversion attempt. I like the play we ran, but if you keep a man in the backfield, not only does the safety have to hold for a count to respect the run, but you also have a flat opportunity on the backside. To me, empty backfield on 3rd down, 4th down, and conversion attempts is bad offense.

it removes all doubt on the defenses side as to what we are going to do and with our O Line being what it is or has been to this point its an unnecessary risk

When this is done with a mobile QB, the first the defense suspects is you are opening up the middle for a QB draw. If I see this inside the five or on a 2 point conversion, I assume QB draw. So, you're not really removing the threat of a run.

When this is done with a mobile QB, the first the defense suspects is you are opening up the middle for a QB draw. If I see this inside the five or on a 2 point conversion, I assume QB draw. So, you're not really removing the threat of a run.

There were so many things wrong with that play. For one, it's unlikely to run a QB draw when you have Luck lined up under center at the 2 yard line. The defense would snuff that out right away. A QB under center with an empty backfield suggests either pass or QB sneak; not a draw. Once again, a QB sneak at the 2 yard line would be a stupid call, so they basically tipped their hat as soon as they motioned Brown to the left wing. Secondly, if you watch that play again, Arians sent only Brown, Wayne and Fleener out on routes and left Jones and Allen on the line to block. Greenbay was in zone, so when they rolled Luck to the right, that took Brown out of the play immediately and left just Fleener and Wayne as his only targets. The play didn't have a chance based off of shear numbers. Greenbay had 5 defenders to that side vs our 2 receivers. Dumb call.

Arians is creative, but he's too cute for his own good sometimes

There were so many things wrong with that play. For one, it's unlikely to run a QB draw when you have Luck lined up under center at the 2 yard line. The defense would snuff that out right away. A QB under center with an empty backfield suggests either pass or QB sneak; not a draw. Once again, a QB sneak at the 2 yard line would be a stupid call, so they basically tipped their hat as soon as they motioned Brown to the left wing. Secondly, if you watch that play again, Arians sent only Brown, Wayne and Fleener out on routes and left Jones and Allen on the line to block. Greenbay was in zone, so when they rolled Luck to the right, that took Brown out of the play immediately and left just Fleener and Wayne as his only targets. The play didn't have a chance based off of shear numbers. Greenbay had 5 defenders to that side vs our 2 receivers. Dumb call.

Arians is creative, but he's too cute for his own good sometimes

I'm good with that play on first and goal. But not when it's the last and only down you have left.

Agree - *see 2008 playoff game to ice it against the Chargers

And for anyone that doesn't remember, we got stopped and then Sproled in OT!

There were so many things wrong with that play. For one, it's unlikely to run a QB draw when you have Luck lined up under center at the 2 yard line.

That's true. Under center draws are done, but I was speaking generally about the threat from the shotgun formation.

Luck is on pace for 708 passes which is 50 more passes then Brees has had in his most passes attempted in a season

Well if we can avoid getting down 21-3 to teams I am guessing we'll see a more balanced attack than what we saw. With that said we ran close to 90 plays on Sunday so 55 passes of 90 plays is only 61% of the offense. While that's still higher than I think what they want it's not as bad as 55 passes sounds on it's own. Part of the reason it was so high is just because of the pure number of plays we ran.