Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver is Missing Something

Coltsman1788

As much maligned as the Indianapolis Colts defense was in the Manning era, when the chips were down, they knew how to get Peyton Manning back on the field enough times to eventually pull their collective butts out of the fire.

I am not seeing this from Denver. All the talk was about how Peyton would finally benefit from playing for a new team with a much better defense then he had with Indy. Denver's defense is supposed to be better than any he has had at Indianapolis. Yet...the Broncos don't have that same magic of those Manning era Colts...shaky Cover 2 defense and all. New England steam rolled this supposedly better Denver defense as if they were playing the Manning era Colts defense. IMO worse even. So what is up with that? Is it a Peyton thing why defenses play so poorly for 3 quarters. lol

But it's not just the defense that is missing something. Look at the offense. Yesterday, the defense makes a stop when Bellicheck foolishly decides to go for it late in the game on fourth down at the Denver 45. Peyton is driving these guys down the field with a chance to cut the deficit to 31-28. It seems like an orange and blue version of de ja vu until McGahee fumbles the ball in the red zone. Peyton was in full come back mode at the time of McGahee's gaffe. Again Peyton is deprived of the opportunity to do what he does best...pull out the miraculous victories.

Peyton wants to work his magic but for some reason it just is not happening yet in Denver. I just can't help but feel that Peyton surrounded by his defense deprived horse shoe cladded team of old still would have found a way to pull out that game yesterday. So what's missing in Denver?

You're implying they're losing because of him? They lack a defense and WRs that can catch. We never had a great D, but he always had Marvin and/or Wayne and their glue hands to rely on. They need Thomas or Decker to step it up.

You're implying they're losing because of him? They lack a defense and WRs that can catch. We never had a great D, but he always had Marvin and/or Wayne and their glue hands to rely on. They need Thomas or Decker to step it up.

No not really trying to imply that they are losing because of him. Just that the team doesn't seem to know how to finish off those patented Manning comebacks.

It is just baffling why everywhere Peyton goes this same defensive albatross seems to follow. Denver is supposed to have a much better defense than Indy right? Yet it seems that the same pattern continues to exist for Peyton. Fall behind huge and then have to try to come back. Only Denver doesn't appear able to help him to complete them. At least the Colts could help him close out when needed.

I think they're just missing that 'winning attitude'. It may sound cliche, but I do think there is something that just gives teams that extra oomf to win. The Colts have had it, and still do, as we saw yesterday. Tebow did bring a winning attitude from Denver so I'm sure Peyton will bring it out of everyone eventually.

They're 2-3 and one game behind Sand Diego after playing a brutal opening schedule including 3 of the hottest teams in the league. If they beat San Diego next week they're first.

Seriously, they got gashed by New England, Atlanta and Houston but still had a chance to win in every game. They'll be fine. The back half of the schedule is much more friendly.

Assorted thoughts:

• It takes time to build chemistry, especially when you're talking about the offensive line or the QB/receiver relationship.
  • The Broncos don't have a great receiver yet. Thomas and Decker have potential but they're both fairly raw and the depth at that position is pitiful (Stokley was good once upon a time but he shouldn't be a viable slot option in the year 2012).
  • The Broncos don't have a good runner, either. McGahee has always been talented but he's also always been alarmingly inconsistent and tough to motivate.
  • DJ Williams is an * (who tries to pass an NFL drug test with a non-human urine sample?) but he is also a very good veteran linebacker. His absence can't be good for that front seven.
  • Peyton is prolific and prolific QBs generate points and trigger a lot of offensive shootouts. Defenses don't tend to give off the best impression in high scoring games, even if they are actually playing solid ball.
  • This is a team I expect to become more dangerous as the season barges forward. The AFC West is weak, they should be able to win it pretty handily.

As much maligned as the Indianapolis Colts defense was in the Manning era, when the chips were down, they knew how to get Peyton Manning back on the field enough times to eventually pull their collective butts out of the fire.

I am not seeing this from Denver. All the talk was about how Peyton would finally benefit from playing for a new team with a much better defense then he had with Indy. Denver's defense is supposed to be better than any he has had at Indianapolis. Yet...the Broncos don't have that same magic of those Manning era Colts...shaky Cover 2 defense and all. New England steam rolled this supposedly better Denver defense as if they were playing the Manning era Colts defense. IMO worse even. So what is up with that? Is it a Peyton thing why defenses play so poorly for 3 quarters. lol

But it's not just the defense that is missing something. Look at the offense. Yesterday, the defense makes a stop when Bellicheck foolishly decides to go for it late in the game on fourth down at the Denver 45. Peyton is driving these guys down the field with a chance to cut the deficit to 31-28. It seems like an orange and blue version of de ja vu until McGahee fumbles the ball in the red zone. Peyton was in full come back mode at the time of McGahee's gaffe. Again Peyton is deprived of the opportunity to do what he does best...pull out the miraculous victories.

Peyton wants to work his magic but for some reason it just is not happening yet in Denver. I just can't help but feel that Peyton surrounded by his defense deprived horse shoe cladded team of old still would have found a way to pull out that game yesterday. So what's missing in Denver?

Before we throw the 52 players under the bus . . . we can't forget that the broncos D stripped Ridley of the ball when the pats were drivng to end of the game . . . they also stopped and strip sacked Brady to gain 20+ additional yards of FP, had they not stopped teh 4th down play the game was over . . .

Just a point of fact it was 4 and 5 from the Denver 37 . . . I am not going to go into the detial i have today and last night about the play, but the play IMO was the right call . .. bottom line you are on the 37 yard, basically no mans land, too far really for a long FG attempt and too close, even with a 5 yard intentional delay of game, to try to get a good punt off . . .more often than not the ball ends up in the endzone and the opponent gets the ball on the 20, a whopping 17 yards of FP . . . and given we are in prevent defense, trading yardage for time, it is highly likely that the broncos would of gained those 17 yards in less than 30 seconds . . . so botom line the broncos were going to be there anyways with a punt . ..

On the benefit side, one can convert, kill at least 1:30 lor 2 mins and kick a FG to go up by 20 with then 6 mins to go, not to mention the opportunity to continue the drive and basically end the game . . . perhaps you don't go for it in the 1st qtr in a tied game, but the small sacrifice of 17 yards of FP (in prevent defense time i might add) in exchange to end the game is the way to go . . .the fact that a once in a career -20 yards sack happened doesnt change the decision as that is not a normal foreseeable result but an anormally . . .

getting back to the D . . .they did get one TO and the above mentioned 20 yards, so they did help out in the 4th . . .

i think the Broncos got too far behind the 8 ball (I think only one team has comeback from being down 24 near the of the third) . . . and too many things had to go right for them and they got most of them but not all . . .

We'll get a better gauge for the supporting cast later in the year . . . they have had some tough opponents so far this season . . .

In looking at their schedule earlier in the off-season, I was looking at a 4-4 start that could turn into a 10-6 season.

I expected more rust from Manning than we have witnessed. I was thinking a start closer to 2008 from him individually so he has exceeded those expectations.

It's a matter of being on the same page. It takes some time to move as one. They will improve as time goes on and I always felt 2013-15 would be better for him than 2012.

20121007__demaryius-thomas-fumble-broncos-100712~p1_300.jpg

Pathetic.

Also during the game yesterday Holden pointed out, everyone refuses to cover Welker. No matter who they play, no one wants to cover him.

I don't know if everyone refuses to; he's just so quick that it's incredibly difficult. The only person that consistently does well against Welker is Revis. Welker only averages 5 catchers per game for 57 yards per game.

Manning, I thought, was fantastic yesterday. People think that because I believe that he's lost some arm strength means that he's not good. Far from it; he looked great yesterday, I thought, with a few mistakes; but those mistakes weren't anything drastic.

In looking at their schedule earlier in the off-season, I was looking at a 4-4 start that could turn into a 10-6 season.

I expected more rust from Manning than we have witnessed. I was thinking a start closer to 2008 from him individually so he has exceeded those expectations.

It's a matter of being on the same page. It takes some time to move as one. They will improve as time goes on and I always felt 2013-15 would be better for him than 2012.

I hear yah . . . time always helps . . . but they are in pretty good sync right now . . . Beat the Steelers, got back in the game against the 5-0 Falcons . . . so they are rolling pretty good . . . better actually then i thought they would be . . . again, we'll have to see what the next 11 games bring . . . it should be exciting to watch . . .

20121007__demaryius-thomas-fumble-broncos-100712~p1_300.jpg

Pathetic.

Also during the game yesterday Holden pointed out, everyone refuses to cover Welker. No matter who they play, no one wants to cover him.

Fx Stryker, I know how you feel about this play . . . but I think we might want to give some credit to the defender, S. Moore, who was the same DB that stripped Evans on the late play in the AFCCG . . . so its kind of his thing . . . so I don't look at it as necessarily all of DT fault but a good play by the defender . . .

after the ball was thrown on a rope by Manning to DT, who was hit in stride, DT is naturally going to continue to run for the TD. It wasn't too soon after he got the ball that the defender stripped him, so it was kind of tough to put the ball away with two hands before the hit . . . had he been running for 6-8 strides and felt the pressure and did not put two hands on the ball i can see some concern, but it was kind of a bang bang play . . .

just my two cents . . .

Before we throw the 52 players under the bus . . . we can't forget that the broncos D stripped Ridley of the ball when the pats were drivng to end of the game . . . they also stopped and strip sacked Brady to gain 20+ additional yards of FP, had they not stopped teh 4th down play the game was over . . .

The Thomas fumble. Biggest play of the game, to me at least, and gave control to the Pats. Denver could have had control if they scored first. Even if the game still pans out to the way it really happened, plus the TD Thomas should have had. It's 31-28, and Denver's final drive would have been completely different.

EDIT: haha you beat me to my own punch with the above.

It's was a fantastic play by the Moore no doubt. Thomas just irks me though. He doesn't seem to care to hold a tight grip on the ball when he runs. Even when doesn't fumble. Reggie or Marv would have had two hands, and pinned tight to them. It's something I'd like to see Thomas to work on, and if he does hold on tighter it could have only been a tackle. Maybe it wasn't enough time for him. He caught it with two hands though, and like before stated when Colts receivers had those catches they brought it in close as soon as they catch it.

The Thomas fumble. Biggest play of the game, to me at least, and gave control to the Pats. Denver could have had control if they scored first. Even if the game still pans out to the way it really happened, plus the TD Thomas should have had. It's 31-28, and Denver's final drive would have been completely different.

EDIT: haha you beat me to my own punch with the above.

yes the DT fumble was a key play, the broncos were driving and it was 0-0 if I remember, but I do agree with you it swayed the momendum and it was tough for teh broncos to recover . . . I was relieved, cause it was like 'oh no a TD maybe or at least a red zone possession', plus with the effective throw by Manning meant he was on his game, which was scary and figuring it was going to be a long night . .. but the fumble and we got the ball ending a possession, I felt better . . . I do agree that the fumble was bigger than the loss possession . . .

EDIT: yes the extra 7 points changes the 4th qtr some and the dynamics of the comeback and how we play it . . . one can breath a little easier up by 24 (31-7), than 17 (31-14) . . . we have been to that 17 point late 3rd qtr rodeo before with Manning (2003, 2009, 2010) and won two but lost one (with all three going down to the wire) . . . so ya the dynamics would of been different . . .

EDIT: and 2003, 2009 and 2010 were in my mind in the 4th too :hide:

I think that what Denver's missing so far is the easy opponents...

So far........they've lost to Houston (5-0), Atlanta (5-0), New England (3-2) ...2 of the 3 on the road....

To be honest, San Diego on the road this week isnt easy, either

..But wait til they get a hold of Cleveland and Carolina..and they have 2 shots left at the Chiefs (1-4)

Denver needed to be 3-3 going into their bye week and if they get that done...they are exactly where they should be

I guess I didnt expect it to happen tis soon.. I thought 3-3 after 6 games would almost gurantee a playoff berth.

Check their schedule

Denver was overrated last year and is overrated again this year. San Diego is also overrated so in this division it might not even matter.

It's like the poor man's version of the old Colts. An aging Manning, lesser receivers then Indy, less talented pass rushers then Indy, a perhaps even worse at times run D.

They were the flukey Tebow's last year.

This year they bring in Manning and everyone ran around saying the D was amazing, the o line was amazing and the big physical receivers would be turned into elites just like Harrison and Wayne!

I don't know what happens to them but I feel like since last year everyone is trying too hard to "make Denver happen." Maybe it does happen but if they can't get by some of the better teams then it really won't matter.

Denver was overrated last year and is overrated again this year. San Diego is also overrated so in this division it might not even matter.

It's like the poor man's version of the old Colts. An aging Manning, lesser receivers then Indy, less talented pass rushers then Indy, a perhaps even worse at times run D.

They were the flukey Tebow's last year.

This year they bring in Manning and everyone ran around saying the D was amazing, the o line was amazing and the big physical receivers would be turned into elites just like Harrison and Wayne!

I don't know what happens to them but I feel like since last year everyone is trying too hard to "make Denver happen." Maybe it does happen but if they can't get by some of the better teams then it really won't matter.

Jules, ... I think Denver will happen.... they have played BY FAR the toughest schedule in the NFL and ... they are right there.

Jules, ... I think Denver will happen.... they have played BY FAR the toughest schedule in the NFL and ... they are right there.

When Peyton signed there they spoke of championships. He and Elway. If they don't win at least one title with Manning then what did they accomplish? Honestly, the odds of winning a SB when you are a QB 35+ according to history are not that great anyway, unless you have a kick butt D or run game or both. Manning (or Brady either) are not going to throw their way to a SB title. It has never happened before and I doubt it happens now. I feel like NE is making an effort the last few games to run the ball more and improve that area and are now a top 5 ranked rushing offense currently. This will only increase NE's SB odds IMO to make the best of the final Brady years if they continue to run the ball like this.

Peyton's odds would have been better in SF to win it all and I think everyone and their uncle knows this.

I am not rooting for Denver either and not afraid to admit it, it is nothing against Peyton either it's a Colts thing. I just personally don't find it possible to have "two AFC teams." Too much rivalry in standings and competition in the same conference.

Denver is missing a lot more than something. It's missing a lot of somethings. That being said, their division is terrible and they can conceivably make the playoffs anyway.

If Denver decides to actually field a decent football TEAM at the right time, in spite of being carried to the playoffs, anything is possible. (Colts 2006)

When Peyton signed there they spoke of championships. He and Elway. If they don't win at least one title with Manning then what did they accomplish? Honestly, the odds of winning a SB when you are a QB 35+ according to history are not that great anyway, unless you have a kick butt D or run game or both. Manning (or Brady either) are not going to throw their way to a SB title. It has never happened before and I doubt it happens now. I feel like NE is making an effort the last few games to run the ball more and improve that area and are now a top 5 ranked rushing offense currently. This will only increase NE's SB odds IMO to make the best of the final Brady years if they continue to run the ball like this.

Peyton's odds would have been better in SF to win it all and I think everyone and their uncle knows this.

I am not rooting for Denver either and not afraid to admit it, it is nothing against Peyton either it's a Colts thing. I just personally don't find it possible to have "two AFC teams." Too much rivalry in standings and competition in the same conference.

Have you heard of John Elway? I'm assuming yes since you mention him in your post. His two superbowl wins were over the age of 35. Elway knows what he is doing with this team and I am extremely confident Manning gets another ring if not two before he retires.

The Thomas fumble was a good play by the defender not Thomas' fault. he barely snagged the ball and had TWO hands on it. good play by the defender he hit the ball and knocked it out. All of this comparison to Harrison and Wayne are getting out of hand. Thomas is going to be a stud, 9 catches for 188 yds against the pats, this is his 3rd year and his first that he started injury free. I don't know why all the hate for Decker, not here but in Denver. This guy is going to be another stud. I expect both to hit or come pretty close to 100 catches and over 1000 yds. We're still less than a third into the season and DT already has 513 yards, second in the league right now. He's still a young kid and really his first season with a passer QB. Orton wasn't good.

The defense is what is killing this team. But the 3 losses have come against really good offensive teams. I'm happy with where the team is right now, could it be better? Most definitely, but I have no doubt this team makes the playoffs and makes a good run.

Denver is not built with a bunch of smart players. They are a hit and miss team on D and they lost a lot of speed when they lost Royal and Lloyd. They can play lights out against weak teams but then fold against better teams, little consistency to their play, IMO. The Colts era had a bunch of overachievers like Gary Brackett, Nick Harper etc. who may not have jumped out of the gym to you as gym rats or freakish athletes but were good football players that made less mistakes. Less fumbles, less drops, less penalties, less negative yardage plays all of which were emphasized by Dungy that led to the Colts winning 12 games for 7 years in a row, unprecedented.

John Fox does not run a disciplined ship (D.J.Williams, Virgil Green suspensions and so on...). We all know about Jack Del Rio and his undisciplined bunch with the Jags on D. Just pointing it out based on history that Dungy's emphasis on the little things and Polian's drafting of smart role players who understood their roles kept the fundamentals sound most of the time.

Have you heard of John Elway? I'm assuming yes since you mention him in your post. His two superbowl wins were over the age of 35. Elway knows what he is doing with this team and I am extremely confident Manning gets another ring if not two before he retires.

The Thomas fumble was a good play by the defender not Thomas' fault. he barely snagged the ball and had TWO hands on it. good play by the defender he hit the ball and knocked it out. All of this comparison to Harrison and Wayne are getting out of hand. Thomas is going to be a stud, 9 catches for 188 yds against the pats, this is his 3rd year and his first that he started injury free. I don't know why all the hate for Decker, not here but in Denver. This guy is going to be another stud. I expect both to hit or come pretty close to 100 catches and over 1000 yds. We're still less than a third into the season and DT already has 513 yards, second in the league right now. He's still a young kid and really his first season with a passer QB. Orton wasn't good.

The defense is what is killing this team. But the 3 losses have come against really good offensive teams. I'm happy with where the team is right now, could it be better? Most definitely, but I have no doubt this team makes the playoffs and makes a good run.

I know that, I said the odds were not amazing. I didn't say it was impossible. Don't sweat it.....

Good luck to your team the rest of the year and the future too.

DT did not have his arns wrapped around the balll....major blunder..

he fumbled all, by himself the week before

with more experinece, he'll know that at that point, with a 40-yard gain...and behind the defender.....the ONLY recorse a guy has against a player as large as him is to pop the ball out..

wrap it up...no excuses..no explaianations

he fumbled all, by himself the week before

Obviously, the Patriots saw that if he could fumble without anyone swiping at the ball in the Raiders game, chances are that he will fumble with someone swiping at it. Again, Broncos are not filled with smart football players and unless I see their fundamentals get corrected, I will stand by it.

Obviously, the Patriots saw that if he could fumble without anyone swiping at the ball in the Raiders game, chances are that he will fumble with someone swiping at it. Again, Broncos are not filled with smart football players and unless I see their fundamentals get corrected, I will stand by it.

I cant judge their smartness....some of them have picked up three different offenses in the last 1 1/2 years so they must be fairly smart

You cant force a fumble on a guy who's holding the ball securely unless you put the helmet on it...so DT's fundamentals need work, I'd agree

It got rid of tebow which was one of Elways main goals.

Yes she has and since he's the only qb to win two super bowls as a starter at that age her point about the odds not being in Manning's favor is correct.

I am rooting for BOTH the Colts and the Broncos..They dont meet and Denver has 3 ex-Colts.

When they meet next year...I'll worry about who I wnat tom win then....As it is now...I think Denver can win their division and the Colts.,..with a lot of LUCK....can sneak in and make the playoffs....

Its been a good year so far

I don't think Denver's offense is the problem. I think their defense is way overrated. The Patriots ran on them at will, even when Denver was set up to defend it. Brady toyed with them and for most of the game simply did whatever he wanted to do. That hurry-up no-huddle is a killer, and something I expect the Patriots to employ a lot this year.

That said, they tightened up when they needed to and got some big stops - the Brady sack on 4th down, the Ridley fumble, etc. There was a chance for Denver to win it, but the chips just didn't fall that way. Manning played a fantastic game and has, from my perspective, done a really good job of using his strengths (reading defenses, knowing where to go with the ball) to mask any potential weaknesses (not quite as much zip on the ball as there once was, but that's to be expected since he is, after all, a human being).

And before Demaryus Thomas' public execution takes place...

You guys may want to remember that, despite the strip by Moore, Thomas showed on Sunday that he's dang near elite as far as deep threats go. He got himself open on that play, on the 4th-and-1 where he had to adjust and come back to it and made a very nice grab, and on another long bomb where Manning threw him a perfect ball. Not a lot of guys are even in position to make those catches because they don't have the physical speed and separation skills to get there. I'm sure if you asked Manning he'd tell you that he's very happy to be playing with a guy like that.

I know what we are missing: a decent mike. We really need to fix it. That alone will make a big difference.

While Thomas and Decker may not have "it" factor just yet, they are still very young and are leaning the new system. It takes a while and I'm willing to be patient. If Wonderlic is any indication, they are at the top echelon of NFL players mind-wise. Of course, they could be thinking too much.

You guys may want to remember that, despite the strip by Moore, Thomas showed on Sunday that he's dang near elite as far as deep threats go. He got himself open on that play, on the 4th-and-1 where he had to adjust and come back to it and made a very nice grab, and on another long bomb where Manning threw him a perfect ball. Not a lot of guys are even in position to make those catches because they don't have the physical speed and separation skills to get there. I'm sure if you asked Manning he'd tell you that he's very happy to be playing with a guy like that.

Agree with everything you said aside from Thomas.

You're not a deep threat when you fumble three times in three weeks. You're a liability - and a substantial one at that. If he addresses his butterfingers, then we'll talk.

Watching Denver this year is like watching a highlight real of all the disappointing games or seasons the Colts had. Denver cant stop the run and Peyton has be perfect. Its been the game plan for years now against him...run the ball, control the clock and give Peyton as few opportunties as possible.

If the old Colts got a lead on someone is was over, Denver D is not giving them the chance for that lead.

Watching Denver this year is like watching a highlight real of all the disappointing games or seasons the Colts had. Denver cant stop the run and Peyton has be perfect. Its been the game plan for years now against him...run the ball, control the clock and give Peyton as few opportunties as possible.

If the old Colts got a lead on someone is was over, Denver D is not giving them the chance for that lead.

Well the Broncos had the chance for the lead, and to control the game. Demaryius fumbled it away.

I don't know why this bothers me so much. :lol:

And before Demaryus Thomas' public execution takes place...

I know what we are missing: a decent mike. We really need to fix it. That alone will make a big difference.

While Thomas and Decker may not have "it" factor just yet, they are still very young and are leaning the new system. It takes a while and I'm willing to be patient. If Wonderlic is any indication, they are at the top echelon of NFL players mind-wise. Of course, they could be thinking too much.

learning a system & chemistry doesn't help if u fumble away the ball 3 weeks in a row ( and 2 weeks back he l;ed NFL with dropping 20% of his catches, don't know current figure ) , more important for DT is to live & sleep holding a football till they become 1

learning a system & chemistry doesn't help if u fumble away the ball 3 weeks in a row ( and 2 weeks back he l;ed NFL with dropping 20% of his catches, don't know current figure ) , more important for DT is to live & sleep holding a football till they become 1

Funny that you mention it—he is sort of doing that now :) Hope he can get over this in anyway he can... We've been somewhat unlucky, too. We've lost all those fumbles. Usually, you recover something like 40% of them (not sure what the precise figure)...