Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive Struggles

rabidfan77

For the 2nd game in a row the offense started fast in the 1st half and got figured out in the 2nd half. We were up 14-3 to start the 2nd half today if we punch it in the game is pretty much over in both situations. Our offensive play-calling is faltering in the 2nd half of games, the colts offense needs to start closing out games and helping the defense.

For the 2nd game in a row the offense started fast in the 1st half and got figured out in the 2nd half. We were up 14-3 to start the 2nd half today if we punch it in the game is pretty much over in both situations. Our offensive play-calling is faltering in the 2nd half of games, the colts offense needs to start closing out games and helping the defense.

I guess I'm in the minority, I thought a good game was called by the Colts. Couple bad throws by Luck (which are to be expected), more than a couple missed PI calls by the refs.

We are a work in progress. I just hope we 'progress' against our next two opponents. We'll be seeing the best offense and best defense in the league, back to back. (okay, one of the best...)

We didn't do too bad. It's expected the first year just like Manning's first year(s). People expect that we're going to be a contender this year. Would love to see that but really my expectations are low so that I don't feel so bad if we lose. If we win, that's great news but in honesty, I'm just happy to see where we are and what the issues we need to address. So far, I think we have lot of work to do in both the offense and defense.

Polian still isn't responsible for this line.

Directly or indirectly, the previous front office played a part in the need to revamp......putting us where we are now. I am not going to complain.....a few down years to be able to enjoy another 10-15 years of competitiveness is a small price to pay.

Our playcalling has struggled, not the offense.

This. When the offense is doing good we squat on a lead and become a run first team in some hope of maintaining a balance. But in reality we can't run the ball because of the line so it's the preverbial beating of a head against a wall.

Directly or indirectly, the previous front office played a part in the need to revamp......putting us where we are now. I am not going to complain.....a few down years to be able to enjoy another 10-15 years of competitiveness is a small price to pay.

True! Polian's hands are still stained with blood!

Yep he didn't go out and get McGylnn, Satele, Justice, Olsen, or Essex. In fact the one that has played the best on the line is his hold over in Castonzo. With that said I do think the line is making progress.

Also he isn't the one who tried to force Jeff into retirement for a front office job.

Also he isn't the one who tried to force Jeff into retirement for a front office job.

I think that might have been more Irsay. I don't think it was a bad move by the Colts either I think Jeff has a great mind for football and I don't know if I would say they tried to force him into retirement they just made him an offer he said no and both sides moved on.

I think that might have been more Irsay. I don't think it was a bad move by the Colts either I think Jeff has a great mind for football and I don't know if I would say they tried to force him into retirement they just made him an offer he said no and both sides moved on.

Yea, it was Irsay, but it did come across we'd love to have you here only not as a player. So that's why I say forced. Jeff would have been a great asset on the line either way.

?? Ugoh has been gone for almost 3 years now. Ijalana has played well when he's not been hurt, but its very unfortunate that he has been because he would have been a huge upgrade at RG or RT.

Jeez I forgot that's Tony Ugoh is the reason the line sucks.

I'm sure in a few years when a young receiver goes down it's all because Polian drafted Gonzo.

Jeez I forgot that's Tony Ugoh is the reason the line sucks.

I'm sure in a few years when a young receiver goes down it's all because Polian drafted Gonzo.

m

My point was polians poor drafting of the o-line ,has impacted the present mess.Thats all i was saying for anyone to dispute that is asinine.

m

My point was polians poor drafting of the o-line ,has impacted the present mess.Thats all i was saying for anyone to dispute that is asinine.

I think these peoples points are that while Polian made mistakes in the past the present players on the line aren't his they are Grigson's outside of Castonzo who is the one everyone likes so to blame Polian for the current o-line and not bring up Grigson's name strikes as a little bit of reaching to try to blame Polian for something that isn't really his fault. No question the last few years of Polian's line weren't good either but Grigson has brought in new guys and frankly right now they aren't getting the job done that goes on Grigson not Polian.

We fricken lost because of blown coverage at the end, we had the game won.

300+ pass yards

100+ rushing yards

Do not equal offensive struggles

22 of 46 passing with INT and a good chunk of those rushes coming from the QB on none designed scambles and only 17 points says things weren't perfect either particularly in the seocnd half where we have scored a total of something like 16 points all season and turned it over four times. That isn't going to cut it.

22 of 46 passing with INT and a good chunk of those rushes coming from the QB on none designed scambles and only 17 points says things weren't perfect either particularly in the seocnd half where we have scored a total of something like 16 points all season and turned it over four times. That isn't going to cut it.

No things are far from perfect, less than 50% completion does leave a lot to be desired. How many yards would there have been if Luck threw for 65%? 400+ yards? That's an amazing game.

And we had the game won, it did cut it, 1 defensive play lost it at the end.

Three games isn't a proper sample, but the Colts O is ranked 14th in yards, but tied for 24th in points scored (and remember, the D scored the first TD of the season). So two things can be equally true, I think - the O is moving the ball well (as compared to the rest of the NFL), but not converting drives into points (AV has missed two FGs). I'd say, with a rookie QB, a O line with lots of new faces, and a new scheme for everyone with a new OC, we're doing pretty well on offense. Dan O and the boys finished ranked 30th in yards, 28th in points last year. We're ahead of that pace with Luck. I'll take progress at this stage. And I see progress.

No things are far from perfect, less than 50% completion does leave a lot to be desired. How many yards would there have been if Luck threw for 65%? 400+ yards? That's an amazing game.

And we had the game won, it did cut it, 1 defensive play lost it at the end.

Yes it would be and frankly I think Luck can make that happen one day (granted not as the norm) but he didn't make it happen yesterday and missed several passes too high or behind guys. Again as a rookie QB who is well beyond where he should be at this point it's hard to be upset with him at all which I am not. However, I think it's a little tunnel vision to think that there aren't problems with the offense espeically in the second half. Rather they are growing pains (which they very well could be and frankly I think they are) or not remains to be seen.

I do think the coaching staff is holding the offense back a little.On the drive where we kicked the field goal we should have went for the touchdown and ran more time off the clock. I think you go for the TD as long as there is still time on the clock. In this situation I think you take advantage of your quaterbacks abilities,with Lucks atheletic ability if you roll him out and give him the option to run or throw, its just as safe as a run up the middle but, with a much better chance to move the chains. I would rather go for the throat and finish games, instead of playing it safe and hope we win.

I do think the coaching staff is holding the offense back a little.On the drive where we kicked the field goal we should have went for the touchdown and ran more time off the clock. I think you go for the TD as long as there is still time on the clock. In this situation I think you take advantage of your quaterbacks abilities,with Lucks atheletic ability if you roll him out and give him the option to run or throw, its just as safe as a run up the middle but, with a much better chance to move the chains. I would rather go for the throat and finish games, instead of playing it safe and hope we win.

They did try to take time off the clock that's why they were running there. Like I keep saying there is no promise that had they gone for a first down there that they would have gotten it. Luck could have very well thrown three incomplete passes or something and taken no time off the clock or worse yet thrown an INT then what would people be saying? Again this is 20/20 hindsight of fans going if what you did didn't work you should have done the other thing.

Rolling him out gives him the option to run if the easy completion is not there its a low risk, much higher chance to get the first down than running up the middle, with our O-line.Running up the middle three plays is just hoping something good happens. rolling out is trying to make something happen with very little risk, if its not there he tucks it and runs and the clock keeps ticking just like the runs up the middle. One is playing not to lose (which usually results in a loss) the other is playing to win the game. You get the first down and they never get a chance for the 80 yard TD. No there is promise if they had went for the first down that they would have gotten it but, with three runs up the middle there is a promise that they wouldn't get the first down. Its not hindsight 20/20 its playing to win the game.

Rolling him out gives him the option to run if the easy completion is not there its a low risk, much higher chance to get the first down than running up the middle, with our O-line.Running up the middle three plays is just hoping something good happens. rolling out is trying to make something happen with very little risk, if its not there he tucks it and runs and the clock keeps ticking just like the runs up the middle. One is playing not to lose (which usually results in a loss) the other is playing to win the game. You get the first down and they never get a chance for the 80 yard TD. No there is promise if they had went for the first down that they would have gotten it but, with three runs up the middle there is a promise that they wouldn't get the first down. Its not hindsight 20/20 its playing to win the game.

It is 20/20 hindsight because if they had done what you said and had the Colts still lost everyone would be screaming why on earth did they not run the ball to run out the Jags out of timeouts.

Luck blames himself.

http://www.indystar....ey=mod|mostview

Andrew Luck couldn't get anything going in the second half, and threw an interception right into the hands of middle linebacker Paul Posluszny when the Colts had a chance to make it a three-score game. "I point the finger at myself for some bad decisions, throwing the ball straight to the Mike (middle) linebacker," Luck said. "A couple of passes behind guys on third downs that would have kept drives going. I think the finger needs to be pointed at me."

More......

http://www.indystar....did-right-thing

Andrew Luck was asked about it after the game.

"Would you have liked to have been more aggressive there and gone for the touchdown?" an interrogator wondered.

He shook his head.

"I don't want to misconstrue running the football as not being aggressive," he said. "I think that was absolutely the appropriate thing to do at the time. It almost squeaked out there at the end for the first down (on Brown's 7-yard run). I wouldn't misconstrue running the football for not being aggressive. That's something we have to be able to do to pick up a first down, with three runs.

"No, I don't think it was the wrong choice."