Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do You Guys Realize?

krunk

If we can win the Jacksonville game next week we could potentially be tied with the Texans

for first place in the division? I am pretty confident the Texans will lose to Peyton Manning

and the Broncos which would place the Texans at 2-1. They would be tied with us.

Let's keep pounding the rock people! At this point I don't necessarily think we are a better

team than the Texans, but we sure as heck are going to do our best to keep them looking

over their shoulders.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah ask the Bills what being in first place after September means in the NFL going back to last year. I want us to win the game but frankly it's extremely early to be looking at division standings.

Who doesn't look at where they stand in the division? Every team does, it's not too early.

It's extra incentive to win each game.

Who doesn't look at where they stand in the division? Every team does, it's not too early.

It's extra incentive to win each game.

Again ask the Bills last year what being in first place after September means...

It's like saying a baseball team is in first place after May. Sure anyone wants to be in first place any time they can be but it really don't mean anything.

Again ask the Bills last year what being in first place after September means...

It's like saying a baseball team is in first place after May. Sure anyone wants to be in first place any time they can be but it really don't mean anything.

Since when do teams not gauge where they stand? You have to have a measuring stick for improvement.

You can't singularly call out the Bills as the only example. Because that happened to the bills we should not

do it? Coaches tell players about the division standings after almost every game. It's not a bad thing.

Since when do teams not gauge where they stand? You have to have a measuring stick for improvement.

You can't singularly call out the Bills as the only example. Because that happened to the bills we should not

do it? Coaches tell players about the division standings after almost every game. It's not a bad thing.

The point being it doesn't matter if they are in first place after next week. We are agree on one thing it's not a big deal. If they are in first place come December then it's a big deal.

I'm with GoColts here, it's fun to realize where we are at, but it's way TOO early to get out hopes up. You really don't see breakout players and teams hitting strides until after the trade week. And to be honest, we don't have the talent right now to be competing for a playoff spot. Not saying it's out of the question because we have people in place, but I would rather for us to develop this year and continue to build the monster.

I'm with GoColts here, it's fun to realize where we are at, but it's way TOO early to get out hopes up. You really don't see breakout players and teams hitting strides until after the trade week. And to be honest, we don't have the talent right now to be competing for a playoff spot. Not saying it's out of the question because we have people in place, but I would rather for us to develop this year and continue to build the monster.

Why would you put yourself in such a mindset? Do you really think the colts are sitting there saying "Besides we really don't have the talent this year, let's just be happy getting a couple little wins and growing" Do you really think they are not focused on winning the division? You will not be building any Monster thinking that way, a monster starts in your mind first.

Grigson is not aggresively looking to add people and talent to this team this year for the purposes of getting a couple of little wins and making little strides. I listen to Pagano all the time and he talks about making a run at the playoffs. I've seen him cite the Giants as example. That's the type of mindset you have to have even at this point in the process! Monsters set big goals even when they are in the pre-monster stage.

If we can win the Jacksonville game next week we could potentially be tied with the Texans

for first place in the division? I am pretty confident the Texans will lose to Peyton Manning

and the Broncos which would place the Texans at 2-1. They would be tied with us.

Let's keep pounding the rock people! At this point I don't necessarily think we are a better

team than the Texans, but we sure as heck are going to do our best to keep them looking

over their shoulders.

That is a big IF. Texans catch the Broncos off a short week though at home. I think the advantage goes to the Texans. We just need to worry about the Jags and taking care of them, which we can if we stop the Mojo. :)

Why would you put yourself in such a mindset? Do you really think the colts are sitting there saying "Besides we really don't have the talent this year, let's just be happy getting a couple little wins and growing" Do you really think they are not focused on winning the division? With the schedule we have, I certainly would be focused on that.

No but I think they understand that being in first place in September doesn't mean a whole lot either. It's something you want if you can have it but it's not something to be super excited about it. Like I said I think we agreed when we said it's not a big deal.

I by no means think the Op was saying we are SB bound but how nice would it be to head into our BYE week being 2-1 in a tie with the team some "experts" pick to be the best team in the AFC. and we being the "worst" team in the NFL. I tend to look at our record quarterly like Polian did. and i would be happy with 2-1 after 4 weeks. does that mean playoffs? not by any means but at least we can say we matched our win total from last year pretty early this year

Why would you put yourself in such a mindset? Do you really think the colts are sitting there saying "Besides we really don't have the talent this year, let's just be happy getting a couple little wins and growing" Do you really think they are not focused on winning the division? You will not be building any Monster thinking that way, a monster starts in your mind first.

Grigson is not aggresively looking to add people and talent to this team this year for the purposes of getting a couple of little wins and making little strides. I listen to Pagano all the time and he talks about making a run at the playoffs. I've seen him cite the Giants as example. That's the type of mindset you have to have even at this point in the process! Monsters set big goals even when they are in the pre-monster stage.

I've played football, we probably all have, so we know the mindset of players during the season. But from a FAN perspective, that is how I see it. Let's be real here, we just do not have the talent to win it all. No one wants to admit that but that's just the truth unless something magical happens and our players just play lights out, but that will not happen. That is why coaches research so much about players so we know what we are getting. If it was all in the mind, then all Caldwell should have done is go out and say "Hey look defense, even though we are undersized, can't tackle worth crap, and put a lot of stress on our QB to win games, let's play like an all-pro and win it all."

It doesn't work like that. Yeah, morale and mindset are factors but so is skill and coaching. We don't have skill at the vital areas that will get us far in the season. Teams talk about making the playoffs and winning because that's what the whole game is about. I didn't say I want us to deliberately lose and play like crap, I LOVE it when our team competes and comes together. All I'm saying is no matter how much we believe we can win a SB, no matter how much we believe we can become a top 10 defense, the skill isn't there.

And to quote Giants and say "mindset" is crazy because the Giants have talent galore. They might always end up in the top 5 at the end of the season but it's mostly because of execution, mishaps, injuries, etc. Not skill, size, speed, etc. Those are our problems. And speed, skill, size isn't created with a mindset, you have to draft those things.

I've played football, we probably all have, so we know the mindset of players during the season. But from a FAN perspective, that is how I see it. Let's be real here, we just do not have the talent to win it all. No one wants to admit that but that's just the truth unless something magical happens and our players just play lights out, but that will not happen. That is why coaches research so much about players so we know what we are getting. If it was all in the mind, then all Caldwell should have done is go out and say "Hey look defense, even though we are undersized, can't tackle worth crap, and put a lot of stress on our QB to win games, let's play like an all-pro and win it all."

It doesn't work like that. Yeah, morale and mindset are factors but so is skill and coaching. We don't have skill at the vital areas that will get us far in the season. Teams talk about making the playoffs and winning because that's what the whole game is about. I didn't say I want us to deliberately lose and play like crap, I LOVE it when our team competes and comes together. All I'm saying is no matter how much we believe we can win a SB, no matter how much we believe we can become a top 10 defense, the skill isn't there.

And to quote Giants and say "mindset" is crazy because the Giants have talent galore. They might always end up in the top 5 at the end of the season but it's mostly because of execution, mishaps, injuries, etc. Not skill, size, speed, etc. Those are our problems. And speed, skill, size isn't created with a mindset, you have to draft those things.

Sorry there is nothing crazy about quoting the Giants because they are no more than an example of a team that made an in season run to make the playoffs. Teams with lesser talent than the Giants have made a run to get into the playoffs. We have seen teams like Seattle, and The Rams make the playoffs with .500 and losing records but yet you think we should not entertain this? You did not hear me speak of Superbowls in my thread, I said winning the division and making the playoffs. Pagano himself has spoken of making the playoffs, Andrew Luck has spoken of making the playoffs.

If you feel like winning the division is an impossible goal, then you might need to revise your thinking. There is nothing impossible about the Colts having a shot at challenging the Texans to win the division. The Texans have a brutal schedule, and our is more favorable. Who knows what can happen? I wouldn't rule it out, the talent on this team is not that bad. The defense is respectable and improving, and the offense is good and will be better once they get the offensive line situation straightened out.

I'm not ruling winning the division, and making the playoffs for this team. We have a good nucleus from the Owner down to the players. There is a lot of fight and belief going on with this team, they are not looking at what they have and planning for mediocrity. I as a fan am joining their mindset as well, if they believe it I believe it too!

Sorry there is nothing crazy about quoting the Giants because they are no more than an example of a team that made an in season run to make the playoffs. Teams with lesser talent than the Giants have made a run to get into the playoffs. We have seen teams like Seattle, and The Rams make the playoffs with .500 and losing records but yet you think we should not entertain this? You did not hear me speak of Superbowls in my thread, I said winning the division and making the playoffs. Pagano himself has spoken of making the playoffs, Andrew Luck has spoken of making the playoffs.

If you feel like winning the division is an impossible goal, then you might need to revise your thinking.

I'm sorry, when I say SB I mean just winning in general, I didn't feel like typing the entire phrase out lol, my laziness.

But Giants> Seahawks> Colts. Rams made the playoffs because they play in a weak division. So do the Seahawks but they are better talent wise than us. We do not play in a soft division.

Look I'm not saying it's all about talent, but if you want to compete with other teams than you have to talent. Don't get me wrong, I want the Colts to go 16-0 this year but I don't think it's in the best interest of the team going forward because we have that can not be fixed with different mindsets and morale. Blocking techniques can not be fixed with a different mindset. Tackling can not be fixed with a different mindset. Those things are taught and if you have skill then that makes it easier for one to learn them and hone them.

Grigson is active because that is his job, to put out a competitive product on the field. If he was do tank and do what other GM's have done, he would be out the door. And also, GM's know that EVERY moment there is a chance to improve your team that you may never get again. Hence the VD trade. are we gonna wait and try to draft our CB of the future, or trade right now and get our CB of the future. Opportunities arise and it's up to the owner and Irsay to take advantage.

I can't even honestly say that the Colts team we had that took a major butt whooping from the Jets in the first round of the playoffs I think in 2001 was more talented than what we have now. That defense was definitely worse than what we have now, and offensively I think we may even have more weapons than that team had. We just need to jell some, and find some identity which I think we will.

I can't even honestly say that the Colts team we had that took a major butt whooping from the Jets in the first round of the playoffs I think in 2001 was more talented than what we have now. That defense was definitely worse than what we have now, and offensively I think we may even have more weapons than that team had. We just need to jell some, and find some identity which I think we will.

See, the playoffs is a different animal in itself because getting in the playoffs mean you had the talent, you had the luck and chances to compete every week and get in. Now when you get in, it's all about GAME-PLANNING and EXECUTION and shows how good your coach really is. Just look at our history, we were good enough to be a top 5 team almost every year, but the fact that coaches gameplanned against us and use the talent they had to exploit our weakness, we were getting bounced. See, I can't really compare the season to the playoffs. You can go 16-0 during the season but also you can also lose i the playoffs and go home.

But I agree, we will jell and find an identity, but that takes certain types of players and skill levels. We are not going to have the monster identity we want without having better talent at the o-line, d-line and line backers, just won't happen. You look at teams that win it all and you start to see the same thing.

I'm sorry, when I say SB I mean just winning in general, I didn't feel like typing the entire phrase out lol, my laziness.

But Giants> Seahawks> Colts. Rams made the playoffs because they play in a weak division. So do the Seahawks but they are better talent wise than us. We do not play in a soft division.

Look I'm not saying it's all about talent, but if you want to compete with other teams than you have to talent. Don't get me wrong, I want the Colts to go 16-0 this year but I don't think it's in the best interest of the team going forward because we have that can not be fixed with different mindsets and morale. Blocking techniques can not be fixed with a different mindset. Tackling can not be fixed with a different mindset. Those things are taught and if you have skill then that makes it easier for one to learn them and hone them.

Grigson is active because that is his job, to put out a competitive product on the field. If he was do tank and do what other GM's have done, he would be out the door. And also, GM's know that EVERY moment there is a chance to improve your team that you may never get again. Hence the VD trade. are we gonna wait and try to draft our CB of the future, or trade right now and get our CB of the future. Opportunities arise and it's up to the owner and Irsay to take advantage.

What do you mean? Our division is very SOFT. There is no real respectable team in our division except for the Texans. The Jaguars are not too respectable, the Titans keep getting whipped,.

Keep in mind, I am not talking about the Seahawks of today, I am talking about the Seahawks and the Rams of that time period. The Seahawks of today are better than us I think. The AFC south is wide open, there is no team in the AFC south you can point to on the surface and say they are completely better than the Colts other than the Texans.

If you feel like winning the division is an impossible goal, then you might need to revise your thinking. There is nothing impossible about the Colts having a shot at challenging the Texans to win the division. The Texans have a brutal schedule, and our is more favorable. Who knows what can happen? I wouldn't rule it out, the talent on this team is not that bad. The defense is respectable and improving, and the offense is good and will be better once they get the offensive line situation straightened out.

I'm not ruling winning the division, and making the playoffs for this team. We have a good nucleus from the Owner down to the players. There is a lot of fight and belief going on with this team, they are not looking at what they have and planning for mediocrity. I as a fan am joining their mindset as well, if they believe it I believe it too!

Of course they're not looking to be mediocre, no team does that, but a team can only go as far as they can go. There are a lot of question marks right now, but I think a very talented team with a "harder" schedule can do just as well if not better than a team with "not bad" talent and an "easier" schedule. This is the NFL, no schedule is easy.

See, the playoffs is a different animal in itself because getting in the playoffs mean you had the talent, you had the luck and chances to compete every week and get in. Now when you get in, it's all about GAME-PLANNING and EXECUTION and shows how good your coach really is. Just look at our history, we were good enough to be a top 5 team almost every year, but the fact that coaches gameplanned against us and use the talent they had to exploit our weakness, we were getting bounced. See, I can't really compare the season to the playoffs. You can go 16-0 during the season but also you can also lose i the playoffs and go home.

But I agree, we will jell and find an identity, but that takes certain types of players and skill levels. We are not going to have the monster identity we want without having better talent at the o-line, d-line and line backers, just won't happen. You look at teams that win it all and you start to see the same thing.

I don't think we will build the monster all in one year, but I think we prepare as if we are monsters every single game. I think we prepare to win the division, and I think we prepare in the same way a playoff team would.

I've seen teams do those things with less talent than this team. The major caveat to me is injuries. If we get bit hard by the injury bug then I think it will get very tough because we lack depth in certain areas.

I don't think we will build the monster all in one year, but I think we prepare as if we are monsters every single game. I think we prepare to win the division, and I think we prepare in the same way a playoff team would.

I've seen teams do those things with less talent than this team. The major caveat to me is injuries. If we get bit hard by the injury bug then I think it will get very tough because we lack depth in certain areas.

I agree with preparing, but my expectations are different. And yeah, injuries determine teams who do well also. Giants just happen to get healthy at right time and make a stride to win it all.

I agree with preparing, but my expectations are different. And yeah, injuries determine teams who do well also. Giants just happen to get healthy at right time and make a stride to win it all.

I respect your outlook. I think we can make the playoffs, and we have a bit of a shot at the division. I think the playoffs may happen before us winning the division, but I'm not conceding defeat on either one because the AFC South is SOFT. If we were playing in the NFC East, or the AFC North with Pittsburgh and Baltimore then with the talent we have I wouldn't be so confident even with a positive mindset. The leaders in those divisions are just superior to our team at this point in the process.

TBH I feel like our schedule gives us a shot, since it's not strong considering how the Jags and Titans have looked, and the Chiefs aren't as good as people expected, and I expect the Dolphins, Jets, and Bills to be inconsistent. Barring major injuries, we should get better as the season goes along as Luck gets more experience, and units gel, and we get Angerer, Freeney, and Collie back (hopefully after the bye week for all of those guys). I think the first half of the season will determine how our season goes. We've got the Jags next, then what will almost certainly be a loss to the Packers, but after that we've got the Jets, Browns, Dolphins, Titans, and Jags again (order is probably wrong, but those are the teams). Yes, we could absolutely lose any of those games, but we could also win any of them. Even if we have serious deficiencies, if we can be scrappy enough to win most of those "winnable" games, we could be looking at 5-4 or 6-3 with a strong hold on second place in the AFC South, given the corresponding difficulty of the Titans and Jags schedules over that same period. The schedule gets harder at that point with the Patriots, and Lions, and Texans twice, plus the Bills and Chiefs and Titans again, but if we do improve at the rate we hope to in the second half of the season, we could take a few of those games as well.

I have no illusions that we'll be beating the Packers, or Patriots, or even the Lions or Texans in Houston. But we play enough mediocre-to-bad teams that if we can win most of them, even scrappy wins, we have a shot at a wild card at 9-7 or 10-6.

Also, tiebreakers could work out well for us since if we assume we lose to the Packers and Lions, that's 3 of our losses non-conference. We have an easy conference schedule, with the rest of the AFC South minus Houston, plus the Dolphins, Browns, Chiefs, and arguably the Bills and Jets.

Essentially, division games are extremely important for us - they always are, but especially this season, since if we can find some way, somehow, to sweep the Jags and Titans - which is a reachable, if lofty, goal - we have a shot, especially if we split home-and-home with the Texans. Assume losses to the Pats and Packers, and we're looking at 6-4 and need to pick up 4 wins against the Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Chiefs, Browns, and Lions to feel confident about the playoffs.

Do I think we'll make the playoffs? No. But with our schedule, a bit of luck with health, scrappy play, and maybe some fortuitous breaks, the playoffs are absolutely an achievable goal. It's certainly not unlikely to the point where we shouldn't hope for it.

TBH I feel like our schedule gives us a shot, since it's not strong considering how the Jags and Titans have looked, and the Chiefs aren't as good as people expected, and I expect the Dolphins, Jets, and Bills to be inconsistent. Barring major injuries, we should get better as the season goes along as Luck gets more experience, and units gel, and we get Angerer, Freeney, and Collie back (hopefully after the bye week for all of those guys). I think the first half of the season will determine how our season goes. We've got the Jags next, then what will almost certainly be a loss to the Packers, but after that we've got the Jets, Browns, Dolphins, Titans, and Jags again (order is probably wrong, but those are the teams). Yes, we could absolutely lose any of those games, but we could also win any of them. Even if we have serious deficiencies, if we can be scrappy enough to win most of those "winnable" games, we could be looking at 5-4 or 6-3 with a strong hold on second place in the AFC South, given the corresponding difficulty of the Titans and Jags schedules over that same period. The schedule gets harder at that point with the Patriots, and Lions, and Texans twice, plus the Bills and Chiefs and Titans again, but if we do improve at the rate we hope to in the second half of the season, we could take a few of those games as well.

I have no illusions that we'll be beating the Packers, or Patriots, or even the Lions or Texans in Houston. But we play enough mediocre-to-bad teams that if we can win most of them, even scrappy wins, we have a shot at a wild card at 9-7 or 10-6.

Also, tiebreakers could work out well for us since if we assume we lose to the Packers and Lions, that's 3 of our losses non-conference. We have an easy conference schedule, with the rest of the AFC South minus Houston, plus the Dolphins, Browns, Chiefs, and arguably the Bills and Jets.

Essentially, division games are extremely important for us - they always are, but especially this season, since if we can find some way, somehow, to sweep the Jags and Titans - which is a reachable, if lofty, goal - we have a shot, especially if we split home-and-home with the Texans. Assume losses to the Pats and Packers, and we're looking at 6-4 and need to pick up 4 wins against the Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Chiefs, Browns, and Lions to feel confident about the playoffs.

Do I think we'll make the playoffs? No. But with our schedule, a bit of luck with health, scrappy play, and maybe some fortuitous breaks, the playoffs are absolutely an achievable goal. It's certainly not unlikely to the point where we shouldn't hope for it.

I'm not totally ruling the Lions game or the Jets game out either. I agree with most everything else you've said though.

I'm not totally ruling the Lions game or the Jets game out either. I agree with most everything else you've said though.

The major thing we need to get together is that offensive line. If we can get that together we'll look a lot better offensively.

Oh I soo called this last week.

Just please promise me that if you beat the Vikings you won't say you'll win 9 games and get a wild card spot.

The league today is so "What have you done for me lately?" Remember right after we drafted Luck? We were called an expansion team, people said they felt bad for Luck. After that Preseason debut, all of a sudden we're a 9 win playoff contender. Now we're going back to the "I'm more optimistic about the Colts than you would think, I have them winning a game." Our team meanwhile, has barely changed through this whole process.

Yeah, and if you beat the Vikes next week it'll be a 9-win season again. But that's just...part of the whole thaaang.

We're talkin' bout the Vikings, y'all...the VIKINGS.

Not saying you can't be happy with a win. Just flatline that EKG a bit. It's soo up and down right now.

Not saying you can't be happy with a win. Just flatline that EKG a bit. It's soo up and down right now.

Vance you just worry about the Broncos next week. I see the L coming...

Well, Lions is on the road, otherwise I'd have put that in a different category.

One thing I didn't mention is the home schedule. It's really not bad. We're 1-0 right now, and we've got the Jags, Packers, Browns, Dolphins, Bills, Titans, Texans. So for an alternate look at how we make the playoffs, lets put priority on home games. We're riding a 3-0 home winning streak, and we seem to be pretty solid at home. Lets say we go 6-2 at home, loss to the Packers and one other team. Puts us at 6-3, needing 4 games from the following list: Jets in week 6, Titans in week 8, Jaguars in week 10, Patriots in week 11, Lions in week 13, Texans in week 15, Chiefs in week 16.

Like I said, this is obviously kind of a best-case scenario, but my point is there's not a lot of "write-off" games on our schedule.

And I don't think I'm overreacting to the Vikings game. I'm not saying we'll dominate any of these teams. I'm just trying to lay out a blueprint of how we could sneak into one of the wild card spots, if we can (1) stay healthy, (2) win the close games, and (3) improve with experience. We can get to the playoffs by just beating bad teams, especially at home.

EDIT: bad math. fixed.

Well, Lions is on the road, otherwise I'd have put that in a different category.

One thing I didn't mention is the home schedule. It's really not bad. We're 1-0 right now, and we've got the Jags, Packers, Browns, Dolphins, Bills, Titans, Texans. So for an alternate look at how we make the playoffs, lets put priority on home games. We're riding a 3-0 home winning streak, and we seem to be pretty solid at home. Lets say we go 6-2 at home, loss to the Packers and one other team. Puts us at 7-3, needing 3 games from the following list: Jets in week 6, Titans in week 8, Jaguars in week 10, Patriots in week 11, Lions in week 13, Texans in week 15, Chiefs in week 16.

Like I said, this is obviously kind of a best-case scenario, but my point is there's not a lot of "write-off" games on our schedule.

I agree....

dear god, he is quoting himself now. crossing the line into troll territory.....

If we beat the Jags next week, we go in to our bye with only 1 less win than all last year and 13 games left on the schedule.

Making the playoffs is probably stretching it too far unless the lucky breaks all fall our way, but I'm just glad we're light years better than last year's debacle. I still think we'll get between 7-9 wins depending on how the ball bounces.

Vance you just worry about the Broncos next week. I see the L coming...

So we lose to the Broncos and you win the division and go into the playoffs with a very questionable offensive line, defense, and a rookie quarterback. Good stuff.

Agreed. A win is a win but don't forget who it was against.