Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bruce Arians

BProland85

I think Arians' playcalling was one of the more concerning things about this game. We all new this would be a tough game to win, so the outcome was not much of a surprise. But passing the ball 40 plus times while only running the ball around 15-20 times will not get it done.

I hope for the rest of the year, we try and run the ball more, unless its an opposing team that simply does not allow you to run the ball like San Fran.

The pass to run ratio was extreme. I've felt he would have a high pass to run ratio coming in to the season and far higher than some seemed to think Pagano/Arians would want.

The score(getting behind) and EOQ/EOH drives dictated that ratio to a point. Arians is a pass happy coach, and as I charted in a previous thread he is fairly predictable based on his personnel usage.

Quarter by Quarter pass to run ratio:

1st QT: 7 pass plays 5 runs

2nd QT: 10 pass plays 2 runs

3rd QT: 12 pass plays 6 runs

4th QT: 19 pass plays 2 runs

The pass to run ratio was extreme. I've felt he would have a high pass to run ratio coming in to the season and far higher than some seemed to think Pagano/Arians would want.

The score(getting behind) and EOQ/EOH drives dictated that ratio to a point. Arians is a pass happy coach, and as I charted in a previous thread he is fairly predictable based on his personnel usage.

Quarter by Quarter pass to run ratio:

1st QT: 7 pass plays 5 runs

2nd QT: 10 pass plays 2 runs

3rd QT: 12 pass plays 6 runs

4th QT: 19 pass plays 2 runs

The first 3 qtr ratios are pretty reasonable to me. The 4th qtr is exreme but you must remember we were wayyyy behind by that point and you are not going to catch up running the ball.

We had some good runs on occasion. To keep the defense honest, we have to run the ball more than we did. Luck had no shot when the defense tees off like they did.

We really have no choice but to set up the run with the pass. No team is going to fear our running attack, not with that O line. So our short passing game is basically our running game.

If you watch the game again, you can see that the Bears had our run scheme pegged before the play even reached the line of scrimmage. All that shifting and motioning of multiple TE's did nothing because most of the time, which ever direction the last player motioned to was usually where the play was headed. I'm sure the Bears had film on that and figured it out, too

We really have no choice but to set up the run with the pass. No team is going to fear our running attack, not with that O line. So our short passing game is basically our running game.

Ah, and there in lies the problem. There was little attempt to establish a short passing game consistently.

• Indianapolis Colts at 05:32
  • 9-R.Gould kicks 70 yards from CHI 35 to IND -5. 32-C.Vaughn pushed ob at IND 23 for 28 yards (30-D.Moore).
  • Timeout at 05:26.
  • 1-10-IND 23(5:26) 12-A.Luck pass deep left to 87-R.Wayne to IND 46 for 23 yards (47-C.Conte) [92-S.Paea]. IND-87-R.Wayne was injured during the play. His return is Probable.
  • 1-10-IND 46(5:01) 12-A.Luck pass incomplete short right to 11-D.Avery (26-T.Jennings). PENALTY on CHI-26-T.Jennings, Defensive Pass Interference, 6 yards, enforced at IND 46 - No Play.
  • 1-10-CHI 48(4:58) 31-D.Brown left guard to CHI 30 for 18 yards (24-K.Hayden; 21-M.Wright).
  • 1-10-CHI 30(4:14) (Shotgun) 12-A.Luck pass incomplete short right to 87-R.Wayne (47-C.Conte).

• 2-10-CHI 30(4:10) 12-A.Luck pass short left to 87-R.Wayne to CHI 18 for 12 yards (54-B.Urlacher; 24-K.Hayden).
  • 1-10-CHI 18(3:25) 31-D.Brown left tackle for 18 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

The first 3 qtr ratios are pretty reasonable to me. The 4th qtr is exreme but you must remember we were wayyyy behind by that point and you are not going to catch up running the ball.

The sum of the first 3 quarters equates to nearly 70% pass, it's a bit distorted due to the EOH 2 minute drill, but that is still really high.

The reasons for the 4th quarter being extreme was noted.

the whole saying "you have to establish the run to help set up the pass"...well, when your offensive line is terrible, it makes it hard to run the ball...and you dont just continue to run for no yards in hopes of setting up the pass...then to top it off, when you're losing by 20 points, running for no yards doesnt exactly give you much of a chance to catch up.

Any team, even the ones who CAN run the ball respectively, pass a LOT more often when they're down 20

At first glance it's not, but 6 of those plays came in the 2-minute drill at the end of the half... They had to attempt to move the ball quickly, which is why it is slightly distorted.

we ran 60 plays 35 pass to 25 run would have been better in my opinion considering at the beginning of the 4th we were still only down by 2 touchdowns which is hardly a big lead. if we run more in that quarter, that long bomb to Jeffery may have never of happened to put us down by 3 touchdowns

In another thread I had mentioned that I would like for us to run more as well. I do think that having a balanced attack makes it more difficult for any defense to defend against us. I'm sure that Arians realizes this, but he has to call plays to our strenghts.

We started the game trying to establish some sort of running attack. On numerous plays, the runner was tackled for a loss. One series in particular, I remember:

1st &10 - Luck throws for a 7-yard completion

2nd & 3 - Brown runs for a loss of 4 yards. (Instead of creating an easy 3rd and 1, or getting the first down, we're now faced with a 3rd & 7. Luck is now in a worse situation than he was before. At that point, it was obvious. If we wanted a shot to win this game, we'd have to rely on Luck and use the run only as a last resort.

We basically used the pass to set up the run, thus explaining Brown's 5.3YPC. It was a surprise when we ran it.

we ran 60 plays 35 pass to 25 run would have been better in my opinion considering at the beginning of the 4th we were still only down by 2 touchdowns which is hardly a big lead. if we run more in that quarter, that long bomb to Jeffery may have never of happened to put us down by 3 touchdowns

In a perfect world that is a better ratio.

In the 2nd quarter the ratio was: 5 pass 2 run...which is less than ideal entering the final drive of the quarter. They got the ball on the 22 and tried to move into FG position. You aren't going to accomplish that task by attempting to run the ball.

The 4th quarter, with that same thought in mind, the TD on the 12 play drive might not happen if the ball was run more..

The score sorta dictated the direction of the 4th quarter. People would've broken tv sets if they were running the ball 40% of the time in the 4th quarter down 20 points.

In a perfect world that is a better ratio.

In the 2nd quarter the ratio was: 5 pass 2 run...which is less than ideal entering the final drive of the quarter. They got the ball on the 22 and tried to move into FG position. You aren't going to accomplish that task by attempting to run the ball.

The 4th quarter, with that same thought in mind, the TD on the 12 play drive might not happen if the ball was run more..

The score sorta dictated the direction of the 4th quarter. People would've broken tv sets if they were running the ball 40% of the time in the 4th quarter down 20 points.

I wouldn't

well thats just silly.

when you are behind 2-3 TDs you have to throw it, which was the case after the 1 Q.

they saw that the RBs werent going anywhere w. horrid run protection from the colts, and pretty solid from the bears D.

besides, im glad they let andrew keep airing it after 3 INTs. if anyone got something out of this game,. its Andrew

I think Arians' playcalling was one of the more concerning things about this game. We all new this would be a tough game to win, so the outcome was not much of a surprise. But passing the ball 40 plus times while only running the ball around 15-20 times will not get it done.

I hope for the rest of the year, we try and run the ball more, unless its an opposing team that simply does not allow you to run the ball like San Fran.

When you get down like they did you have to pass the ball the bears d other than a handful of times gave 0 running lanes arians was trying to get what the defense was giving him i cant blame him a bit for his play calling...on a side note kris adams looked good at wr for a guy that wouldnt of normally seen the field we could use "big" reciever cant have a team full of 5'9'' guys

Let's face it the O-line sucks and our running attack is nothing to brag about so put that together and you will need to pass most of the time. In the Pittsburgh Denver game, Rothlesberger was passing on almost every down because their running attack without Mendenhall sucks, so you have to go with your strengths not your weaknesses to win a game.

Yup we will just run and gain 1 yard and punt all night