Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T. Edmunds vs. R. Smith

Since it was a long week........ too many hours on a plane :( , I decided to drink some coffee and watch some youtube videos this morning

of two players that I believe that we will consider with our draft spot

Its easy to watch the highlight reels of player. They take the best plays and if thats all you watch, you might not (will not) get an

FULL understanding of what the player brings (both good and bad)..... I was trying to find BAD things about both prospects, to counter balance

the "good stuff"

With the possible exception of Nelson, all the candidates have some bad tape..........

My Smith Notes

Very Fast

Sideline to sideline player

Sure tackler, but........ MOST of his tackles seem like rugby type (gentle wrap up) the guy goes down, but his big hits seem to be a small %

Cannot seem to disingage from ANY block......   (One commentator said that this was a fatal flaw)

There was play after play where SLOW OTs and guards were able to get to him,  and shove him backward.

Some of the commentators felt that he was not good at covering the TEs, but did well with RBs 

Some of the commentators felt that he would need a great deal of protection, from a big DL, for him to be the tackling machine that

he was in college

My Edmunds Notes

Very Fast, with an awesome burst

Sure tackler

Sideline to sideline player

He has great ability to shed blocks

He will overrun some plays

In some of the defense that VT ran, (its on the video) he would actually cover the slot WR (Which he seemed to do well)

He has trouble diagnosing plays. He can run really fast..... but sometimes, its after the guy WITHOUT the ball

He scares me with pump fakes, and mis direction that he will see in the pros

Overall, I am left with an asumption that both players would greatly help the Colts..... I would be excited to get either prospect

But to me, Edmunds is STILL the better choice, between the two. I do think that if Chubb is still on the board, we will go that way.

Edmunds is not quite ready day one....... but with some coaching.... his size/speed will shine thru

And, I STILL dont want a guard at 6  :)

My 2 cents, maybe worth a penny.....

Deano

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If there really is no flaw in Nelson, and he’s widely considered one of the best OG prospects ever, why wouldn’t you want him protecting Luck and opening huge holes in the run game?

Nelson is awesome.... dont get me wrong

He WOULD help this team.... AND I truly agree with you that we need a guard

My fear is that a guard can not dominate and truly change the outcome of a game............  A star DE, QB, LB, RB actually can

I also see some excellent guard prospects at the top of round 2, that shoud be able to effectively and dominantly pass block and effectively and dominately run block......... 

Watch the tape on Price....... Hernandez........Wynn.........  They are all strong as an OX..... they push the pile...... they almost never give up sacks...........   This is a HUGE improvement over what we have.

We have so many holes........  I just dont want to spend the 6th on a guard.

When I was in college, (many years ago) there were people that got an 'A' with a 99.  There were students like me who would have to work my keester of to get a 94.    We both got an 'A'  

Thats how I view the guard spot. I am happy and content to get an 'A' player early in round 2.......  AND draft a potential differnce maker at 6......... a LB, RB or DE

Deano

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

After watching film on both guys I don't think either is a good choice at 6. I like them, especially Smith, but they do have their flaws. A better prospect should be available at 6: Nelson, Barkley, Fitzpatrick, etc. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

After watching film on both guys I don't think either is a good choice at 6. I like them, especially Smith, but they do have their flaws. A better prospect should be available at 6: Nelson, Barkley, Fitzpatrick, etc. 

i like others better at 6 too

as for positional value, smith is a will imo.  will linebackers are not taken in the top  10 very often if ever.

i do like edmunds, i just have the others higher 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Nelson is awesome.... dont get me wrong

He WOULD help this team.... AND I truly agree with you that we need a guard

My fear is that a guard can not dominate and truly change the outcome of a game............  A star DE, QB, LB, RB actually can

I also see some excellent guard prospects at the top of round 2, that shoud be able to effectively and dominantly pass block and effectively and dominately run block......... 

Watch the tape on Price....... Hernandez........Wynn.........  They are all strong as an OX..... they push the pile...... they almost never give up sacks...........   This is a HUGE improvement over what we have.

We have so many holes........  I just dont want to spend the 6th on a guard.

When I was in college, (many years ago) there were people that got an 'A' with a 99.  There were students like me who would have to work my keester of to get a 94.    We both got an 'A'  

Thats how I view the guard spot. I am happy and content to get an 'A' player early in round 2.......  AND draft a potential differnce maker at 6......... a LB, RB or DE

Deano

Interior oline are becoming more valuable every year. If I remember correctly philly's oline gave foles all kinds of time to throw the ball during the Super Bowl. Meaning a great oline is just as important as pass rush With Luck coming back from injury I really think it would be wise to draft Nelson. Would give luck a comfort zone and maybe would actually run the ball, so he doesn't have to throw 40 times a game on his new shoulder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

Interior oline are becoming more valuable every year. If I remember correctly philly's oline gave foles all kinds of time to throw the ball during the Super Bowl. Meaning a great oline is just as important as pass rush With Luck coming back from injury I really think it would be wise to draft Nelson. Would give luck a comfort zone and maybe would actually run the ball, so he doesn't have to throw 40 times a game on his new shoulder.

43 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Nelson can stop pressure and sacks up the middle and open up the run game he could be dominant and change the outcome of the game by enabling Andrew to do his thing. 

While interior OL is becoming more valuable, Difference Makers are still more and I'm not saying lets not sign a Guard either it's just that at number 6 there is better talent that we need like LB, and there still will be high quality Guards in the 2nd so why draft Nelson. Besides if I'm a DC and I think he is a generational player I'll just put my interior pass rush guy on the other guard.

Edmunds is the sexier and some would say riskier pick.  Smith would come in and start and is amazing side to side.  Smith does not get off blocks but he is somewhat light.  If he plays the Wil position, I think he could b dynamic.  He is a great football player. I have always thought that wen u r picking in the top 10, you always pick the best football player based on the tape.  Upside is for the 4-7th rounds.  U can not afford to take a chance on a #6 pick.  U pick the best football player based on your scheme and the board.

• Like 2

If Ballard is serious about "games are won in the trenches"....and "best player available"....he will take Nelson if he's there. Unless, of course, he's offered a trade that no sane person would reject.......FIX THE LINE NOW!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, egg said:

If Ballard is serious about "games are won in the trenches"....and "best player available"....he will take Nelson if he's there. Unless, of course, he's offered a trade that no sane person would reject.......FIX THE LINE NOW!

Unless we get lucky, with a tackle from Whatsamatta University UDFA, I dont think we CAN fix the line, at least not fully, this year

If we get a guard, and can somehow stay HEALTHY...... we will be better

The big question is...... does the 2nd round talented Guard, that will be available, "fix" the line.???

Not the superhuman Guard Nelson..... but a REALLY, REALLY good guard....a guard that is probably BETTER than ANYONE we have had in 7-8 years...........in round 2

I guess i am greedy, I want a differnce maker, AND a really , really good guard........

I dont see that combination if I choose guard first.......

But......My crystal ball just clouded up...........   

• Like 2

I am a fan of Smith and love his production. I think he will be a great pro. Edmunds is tempting but Barkevious Mingo and Rolando McClain we’re both linebackers with high ceilings that never fully reached them for different reasons. 

My my vote is to take Nelson at #6 and package a pick with an early 2nd to move up and take another guard like Wynn. Why not insert two starting guards that can fix the interior of the line. We would be one starter away from an above average line. 

• Like 2

I agree drafting Nelson is almost like drafting a healthy Luck but its likely that Connor Williams, Isalah Wynn or Bill Price will be available in the second round.

Sure Nelson can drive players 7 yards further than alternatives but that isn't vital at the O-Line position; all that's needed is that they drive enough to protect the passer and run block which I believe you can argue the 2nd round alternatives can perform at almost the same efficiency as Nelson. 

That's why I believe its worth taking a gamble on Smith or Edmunds instead but I honestly am happy if any of the three are picked. It's hard to pick a bad player at #6, unless you're the Browns

• Like 1