Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If I'm Chris Ballard Then I'm Taking Nelson RD. 1

Dark Superman

I love Nelson...and if we had a pick around 10 I would be thrilled to land him...but picking as high as we are and as rare as it is I really want someone that can change a game. My hope is Chubb is that type of player...and if he is then I don't want to move back off him. Just looking at the rest of the draft and free agency where do we find a pass rusher we can count on?? I kinda like Davenport too but its basically Chubb is the one that stands out. Everyone else has a LOT of question marks. Looking at the the OL prospects there will still be very very good lineman there for us at the top of round 2. Are they on Nelson level...nope...but there are major upgrades over what we have and can definitely help protect Luck. Same thing with running back. Maybe not Barkley level but there are some very complete backs that would upgrade our running game and could be big time performers in round 2 and 3 as well. If I had my way I would add a starting MLB, starting G/RT and starting WR to be my main focus. Then drafting a DE with Chubb, targeting one of those lineman at the top of round 2 and a rb top of round 3. That would make me feel very good about the direction of this offseason. We all want the best of everything...but given we can't have that...the chances of even an adequate pass rusher outside the first round is about zilch...but the chances of a good lineman...still pretty good...and that is how I see it. Now...if the Colts talent evaluators don't see it that way then that's fine I'll trust them...but to me it seems to shape up that way. 

I like Nelson as a player, I think he's going to be good.

I also agree that we need to improve our offensive line play.

Having made both of those statement though having a line which is potentially made up of 3 firsts, a second and a third will be the biggest misuse of resources I can remember.

So there's only one player worthy of the colts drafting at #3. They might as well send the Chubb card in now. Hope he's as great as some here seem to think he's going to be. I'm fine with drafting Chubb as we need a pass rusher but if we don't get OL help/WR depth/RB in FA or draft we'll be beating the same horse we did the past two years. Ballard went heavy on D last year in draft/FA, hope he sprinkles alittle talent on the other this year with luck coming back.

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

I agree but it would suck to take him at #3, though... Maybe trade back to around 9-10 and pick him. Just a really tough call. We have to be open to the possibility that trading back we may miss him and taking him at #3 is too high.

Not if he is on Ballard's BPA board.

Some are suggesting that Denver might take Nelson at 5 if they get their QB in FA. Is there that big of a difference in taking him 3 or 5? I understand that a trade is the best option but if the clock runs out with no one on the line does Ballard stick to his draft board if he had Nelson at the top of it or does he draft Chubb because he plays a position that's valued higher? 

4 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Some are suggesting that Denver might take Nelson at 5 if they get their QB in FA. Is there that big of a difference in taking him 3 or 5? I understand that a trade is the best option but if the clock runs out with no one on the line does Ballard stick to his draft board if he had Nelson at the top of it or does he draft Chubb because he plays a position that's valued higher? 

That is what makes this upcoming draft so interesting. In reality none of us know who will be on Ballard's board and in what order. History has told us fans look at things different than GMs and scouts.

1 minute ago, pgt_rob said:

Obviously. Just like Dorsett was higher than Malcom Brown on Grigson's board. It will be interesting to see because at #3, we have literally the whole board to pick if we want.

This is true. Having the #3 pick makes things very interesting. Like I said a minute ago GMs and scouts look at things different than fans do so at this point we just don't know what direction Ballard will be going. That is even subject to change after the combine and free agency.

Here is the list of what would need to happen for me to want to take Nelson:

• The Colts are able to sign one of Ansah/Lawrence/Quinn
  • The Colts are able to sign an ILB
  • The Colts are NOT able to sign Norwell
  • The Colts trade down to the 5-6 range and then are able to trade down again, garnering at least three additional day two picks in the process

21 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Chubb is nowhere near Von Miller caliber. I think everyone is boosting Chubb because he's the only well rounded pass rusher and it's a need of ours. But drafting him and thinking he's going to have a Von Miller impact would be a mistake

Nobody said he was. But you never know what he might end up being.

With the verbiage Reich is using, saying he wants to impose their will on offense, I could very well see Quenton Nelson being the pick after a trade down in the 1st. Nelson would allow this team to run the ball when they want to, and pass protect when they want to pass.

Then with the added picks from the trade down, I'd look for Ballard to potentially make a move up for an athletic speedy LB like Roquan Smith, who is falling a bit to the lower 1st round range, due to his size. He would be perfect as a WSLB in this defense, with Anthony Hitchens manning the MLB spot. Reich also was quoted to saying they want to be fast, tough, instinctive, and physical on defense. All of which Roquan Smith is. 

19 hours ago, King! said:

Either way, you're gonna spend a ton of cash in free agency.

The cash has to be spent anyway, most important thing is not to get locked in long term deal , you sign a proven guy for 2-3 year deal that a win . We need to just stay away from 4+ yr deals