Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Patriot Advantage

coltsleafs

Has anyone else noticed how many first down the Patriots get via penalty? I've watched almost everyone of their games this year and I just can't get over how many times they get a first down by penalty. I found these statistics online and I am surprised they have not been talked about more. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalty-first-downs-per-game. Is it just because they are coached so well that they seem to get all the calls or is there more to it?

19 minutes ago, Bad Morty said:

I will say this...more than any other year, I saw Brady catch teams by getting a quick snap off as their 12th guy was loafing to the sidelines. It seems like they got a lot of "too many men" penalties that resulted in first downs this year.

Peyton was great at doing that as well. Patriots are the best team out there and just play smart a lot like we did when Peyton was here. As a Colts fan I have accepted that and pick them to Repeat.

Watching the Pats you will see one thing every game - when they are around mid field Brady sends receivers near the 5-10 yard line to run routes as if the pass is under thrown  baiting the defenders to stop and make contact with the receiver hence committing pass interference . It is beautiful to watch as the master manipulates the suckers in to his den of defeat demoralizing their opponents and their fans. It works every time against every team and that is just one trick in the Hoody bag of tricks that win him SBs by the bundle. Don't blame the officials for Patriots wins, blame the losers that lose to them.

20 hours ago, coltsleafs said:

Has anyone else noticed how many first down the Patriots get via penalty? I've watched almost everyone of their games this year and I just can't get over how many times they get a first down by penalty. I found these statistics online and I am surprised they have not been talked about more. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalty-first-downs-per-game. Is it just because they are coached so well that they seem to get all the calls or is there more to it?

This is why an experienced, high caliber, smart QB is worth so much in the NFL.  The "advantages" he provides to his team are immeasurable.

Generally, fans get sucked into the idea that overwhelming physical talent rules the NFL while, in reality, it is the smarter players/coaches/organizations who we see beating up on physical talent in the big games. 

17 hours ago, Bad Morty said:

I will say this...more than any other year, I saw Brady catch teams by getting a quick snap off as their 12th guy was loafing to the sidelines. It seems like they got a lot of "too many men" penalties that resulted in first downs this year.

I am all for the too many men on the field penalties those are just smart plays by the QB it is all the PI that are being called that is really annoying me. Half the time the player isn't even being touched and he goes down with his arms up calling for a penalty if I wanted to watch people diving and calling for penalties I would watch soccer. I think it is really hard for the refs at real speed to see which plays are actually pass interference and which are flops. I think they should take a look at what the CFL is doing and allow coaches to challenge these PI calls because they're are far too many of them being called that shouldn't be in my opinion and it is really ruining the game IMO. 

The numbers are a little skewed with 6 (count 'em, 6) first downs via penalty vs the Jets last weekend. At least a couple of those calls were admittedly ticky-tack, IMO. But I think it's a combination of things. They do tend to play smart, and I think in all sports, the officiating tends to lean (subconsciously or otherwise) toward the more accomplished team. 

Like Morty pointed out, Brady is always alert to the 12 men on the field thing, and also has a nice cadence with his signals that gets them an encroachment penalty every couple of games, it seems. 

Teams also tend to try to play very physical with New England's receivers, in an effort to mess up timing and route-running. It's one area this year where they've really missed Edelman (he's one of those guys who's always open, even when he's not open, if you follow me). Sometimes you see replays on a non-call and there's clearly contact. Sometimes you see a replay after a PI call and you wonder what the defender could have done differently. But if it's 3rd-and-7 or less, which is what we see a lot of with New England, they'll get their share of calls for holding or PI. 

1 hour ago, GoPats said:

The numbers are a little skewed with 6 (count 'em, 6) first downs via penalty vs the Jets last weekend. At least a couple of those calls were admittedly ticky-tack, IMO. But I think it's a combination of things. They do tend to play smart, and I think in all sports, the officiating tends to lean (subconsciously or otherwise) toward the more accomplished team. 

Like Morty pointed out, Brady is always alert to the 12 men on the field thing, and also has a nice cadence with his signals that gets them an encroachment penalty every couple of games, it seems. 

Teams also tend to try to play very physical with New England's receivers, in an effort to mess up timing and route-running. It's one area this year where they've really missed Edelman (he's one of those guys who's always open, even when he's not open, if you follow me). Sometimes you see replays on a non-call and there's clearly contact. Sometimes you see a replay after a PI call and you wonder what the defender could have done differently. But if it's 3rd-and-7 or less, which is what we see a lot of with New England, they'll get their share of calls for holding or PI. 

I agree....NE better than any other team in the history of ANY sport take advantage of matchups. They get a WR on a safety....or a RB on a LB...or well I could go on and on....because anyone on Gronk is a matchup problem lol. So that's the other thing...they get guys that create matchup nightmares...like Lewis etc. They then exploit them...target them...and as a result get many holding and PI calls. Then add in the wiley vet Brady getting the 12 men and offsides with his cadence and yes even throwing into coverage when he knows his guy is covered but the defender is out of position and your going to get the calls. They beat you often times before the game even starts because they prepare and exploit advantages and then work tirelessly to take the other teams advantages away. The combination of Belicheck and Brady is unrivaled. One or the other would be great....ex Brady=Manning without Belicheck and Belicheck=Lombardi or Parcells without Brady but together they are legendary! They top everyone and any franchise that's come before.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:33 PM, King Colt said:

Watching the Pats you will see one thing every game - when they are around mid field Brady sends receivers near the 5-10 yard line to run routes as if the pass is under thrown  baiting the defenders to stop and make contact with the receiver hence committing pass interference .

So basically they're stretching the rules again. Figures. This is also why Belichick favors TE's; the defenders need to get more physical with them to contest passes, but then the defenders are more liable to draw flags. It's a pick your poison scenario.

17 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

So basically they're stretching the rules again. Figures. This is also why Belichick favors TE's; the defenders need to get more physical with them to contest passes, but then the defenders are more liable to draw flags. It's a pick your poison scenario.

He favored TEs and RBs because they can create matchup nightmares for defenses. Hernandez and Gronk were almost impossible to cover. Impossible for all but the most elite LBs because of speed and agility and too big for all but the most athletic safeties and RBs as well that have loose hips and wiggle in space....good luck tackling them! This isn't some kind of cheating...its just breaking the game down to it's most simpliest form....find the weak link...exploit it...and if they adjust it then opens up something else for us. He is just a mastermind of breaking down and game planning and having a field general like Tom.....well its not fair.

22 hours ago, dgambill said:

He favored TEs and RBs because they can create matchup nightmares for defenses. Hernandez and Gronk were almost impossible to cover. Impossible for all but the most elite LBs because of speed and agility and too big for all but the most athletic safeties and RBs as well that have loose hips and wiggle in space....good luck tackling them! This isn't some kind of cheating...its just breaking the game down to it's most simpliest form....find the weak link...exploit it...and if they adjust it then opens up something else for us. He is just a mastermind of breaking down and game planning and having a field general like Tom.....well its not fair.

I like this ^^  I think people need to get over the cheating thing already bc it’s not like it matters I doubt they’ve cheated every game vs us or anyone else..but one thing is for sure they beat you cheating and they beat you without  cheating..if they win a game it’s automatically “they cheated”  they’ve been punished and still make it to the bowl game so people need to find another excuse the teams just that damn good lol the day the pats lose 3 games in a row bet people will be like “this is what happens when you can’t cheat” lmao 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:17 PM, Bad Morty said:

I will say this...more than any other year, I saw Brady catch teams by getting a quick snap off as their 12th guy was loafing to the sidelines. It seems like they got a lot of "too many men" penalties that resulted in first downs this year.'

It's funny i remember Peyton use to due that early on, Bill called that, "Manning doing trickery instead of playing football".  

1 hour ago, horseshoecrabs said:

It's funny i remember Peyton use to due that early on, Bill called that, "Manning doing trickery instead of playing football".  

I'd love to see a link to that quote...it doesn't sound like something Bill would say. I seem to recall him always having a great deal of respect for Peyton.

On 1/8/2018 at 6:13 PM, horseshoecrabs said:

I think you're misremembering. :thmup:

Hoodie wouldn't say that about a rookie QB, let alone a guy for whom he had a lot of respect.