Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D all day on draft day

I understand that there are some people who believe that a RB or O lineman (Lamp) would be a good 1st round choice. I would argue the opposite: that this team is desitute as far as playmakers on D. I would go CB for two of the first four picks. This team is shaky at best in the D secondary. Aside from an anemic pass rush, this is the achilles heel of the Colts. The draft plays right into the Colts' hands as far as what they need and where there is amazing depth. 

CB; S: pass rushing OLB; ILB. Look no further for the first four picks. Defense Thursday and all day Friday. If the team goes for best player available, I pray they are thinking best DEFENSIVE player available. 

I'm 100% on board with taking the bpa in the 1st whatever that is. I don't want to pass up a star for a need. After that I do think corner is a huge need that we need multiple of along with need at edge and inside backer. This draft is really the perfect draft and I think Ballard has set this team up well. It isn't deep at DT particularly and he filled our needs there. OLB is hard to find starters in the draft and he took multiple in free agency. He did leave corner unaddressed along with RB and great for us it's a very very deep draft at those positions. I trust he has a plan for those and won't leave it to chance late in the draft or in free agency he will look to fix it sooner before later in the draft. Guard is another deep position in the draft and I expect us to look there around that 4th rd too. I'm really excited for this draft because it has the possibility for us to fill positions we havent addressed in a while. Just like last years draft set up nicely for us to address the OL. Only a few more days to go!

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

I'm 100% on board with taking the bpa in the 1st whatever that is. I don't want to pass up a star for a need. After that I do think corner is a huge need that we need multiple of along with need at edge and inside backer. This draft is really the perfect draft and I think Ballard has set this team up well. It isn't deep at DT particularly and he filled our needs there. OLB is hard to find starters in the draft and he took multiple in free agency. He did leave corner unaddressed along with RB and great for us it's a very very deep draft at those positions. I trust he has a plan for those and won't leave it to chance late in the draft or in free agency he will look to fix it sooner before later in the draft. Guard is another deep position in the draft and I expect us to look there around that 4th rd too. I'm really excited for this draft because it has the possibility for us to fill positions we havent addressed in a while. Just like last years draft set up nicely for us to address the OL. Only a few more days to go!

Totally agree.  Other than a center, we need another star in the making with that 1st pick. 

Off topic, are we really going with Tolzein again this year as backup?  I may have missed something in my absence.

BPA at every pick.  With multiple players rated the same in a pick you lean towards a need.  Ballard already said that is what he is going to do.  If Lamp is BPA at 15 and they do not want to move then you go with him and keep Luck upright.  Sounds good to me.  If we continue to run the same offense we have to have a better line so those who claim this is something that can be overlooked might change that though when Tolzein is playing.

1 hour ago, BrentMc11 said:

Totally agree.  Other than a center, we need another star in the making with that 1st pick. 

Off topic, are we really going with Tolzein again this year as backup?  I may have missed something in my absence.

I believe so. We will pick up an UDFA likely for camp because you need 4 to get all your work in with your WRs and TEs etc and it's hard to tell what a new GM feels about Tolzien but from his play last year he wasn't the reason we lost that Pittsburgh game. He looked well prepared and had control of the offense and I think he could be serviceable in limited action. But yes I think that is the plan.

I hope the Colts' draft is defense heavy but Lamp is maybe the only offensive pick I would say "yeah. I get it" in the 1st round.  I don't want Bolles or Ramczyk that high but I could understand it and they wouldn't make veins pop out in my neck from yelling at the TV screen.  Luck just had surgery, 'nuff said.  

But I HOPE we fix that defense.  They need help and a LOT of it on all levels.  Don't care if it's S.  Don't care if it's CB, DE, OLB, or ILB.  Even a DT if he's the best guy there even though that wouldn't seem as big of a need with Hankins.  Just get defensive play-makers.  I hope at LEAST the first 2 picks are defensive guys.  I could see a scenario where if there is a REALLY good offensive guy that has a 1st round grade and he falls to us in the 2nd and he's the best guy on their board, then take him.  But if it falls as expected, stay on the defense please.  Then maybe offense in round 3 or beyond.  We really only need OL and RB.

I would be OK with that, as long as Ballard did what he said he would do, and only go with need when it matched up with the BPA.  If the BPA at each pick is Defense, cool.

That being said, I'd be OK with a few offensive players in the first few picks, because Ballard said they're not going to pass up someone that is probably going to have a successful 10-year career in this league.

Outside of QB, K, P, and FB, whatever position gets drafted should help, hopefully.

20 hours ago, bananabucket said:

This team is not getting fixed in one draft.  Draft the best talent you can, enough said.

this^

we have room for improvement on offense too.  i wouldnt take a QB or WR in the first, but thats it.  there is no first round center in this draft

go BPA and build the right way for the future.  we dont have to go all in on D for this season