Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BProland's Best Case Scenario Mock Draft

This is my version of a best case scenario for the Colts. This draft would instantly make the defense better along with adding some great playmakers on offense. Next offseason Ballard brings in more help at OL if Haeg and Clark don't improve.

Round 1 Pick 21 (DET): Haason Reddick, ILB, Temple
Round 2 Pick 14: Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri
Round 2 Pick 21 (DET): Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida
Round 3 Pick 21 (DET): Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech
Round 3 Pick 22 (MINN): Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
Round 4 Pick 14: Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo
Round 4 Pick 30: Howard Wilson, CB, Houston
Round 4 Pick 37 (COMP): John Johnson, FS, Boston College
Round 5 Pick 14: DeAngelo Brown, DT, Louisville

Trades

-Indy trades 15th overall and 3rd round pick to Detroit for 21st overall, 2nd, and 3rd (Pretty even deal since Colts are giving a higher 3rd back to Detroit)

-Indy trades 2018 3rd, 6th for 2017 3rd (I love the idea of getting Sidney Jones, and instead of involving a draft pick this year for a guy that won't play, why not trade a pick from next year when he should play in 2018)

Analysis

-Indy gets great talent on defense in this draft by adding Reddick, Harris, and Brantley early. Indy's pass rush suddenly looks very promising. Hodges gives then an ultra talented TE that this team doesn't currently have. Doyle is a nice TE, but he'll never be an elite guy. Hodges has the potential to be. Getting Sidney Jones allows Indy to possibly have their replacement for Davis should he leave next offseason. Hunt is a nice talent to add to the RB mix, and could start by the end of the season. Wilson gives Indy an immediate contributor at CB to compete with Melvin for the spot opposite Davis. Johnson is a FS I really like who can possibly help out at CB too. Brown gives Indy another NT prospect to share time with Woods.

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You don't take a healthy corner til round 4? Screw that it's like the biggest need on the D now with ILB a close second 

Melvin showed some promise and the coaches like him, plus with this much improved and added pass rush Indy adds in this draft scenario, CBs won't have to cover as long.

31 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This is my version of a best case scenario for the Colts. This draft would instantly make the defense better along with adding some great playmakers on offense. Next offseason Ballard brings in more help at OL if Haeg and Clark don't improve.

Trades

-Indy trades 15th overall and 3rd round pick to Detroit for 21st overall, 2nd, and 3rd (Pretty even deal since Colts are giving a higher 3rd back to Detroit)

-Indy trades 2018 3rd, 6th for 2017 3rd (I love the idea of getting Sidney Jones, and instead of involving a draft pick this year for a guy that won't play, why not trade a pick from next year when he should play in 2018)

Analysis

-Indy gets great talent on defense in this draft by adding Reddick, Harris, and Brantley early. Indy's pass rush suddenly looks very promising. Hodges gives then an ultra talented TE that this team doesn't currently have. Doyle is a nice TE, but he'll never be an elite guy. Hodges has the potential to be. Getting Sidney Jones allows Indy to possibly have their replacement for Davis should he leave next offseason. Hunt is a nice talent to add to the RB mix, and could start by the end of the season. Wilson gives Indy an immediate contributor at CB to compete with Melvin for the spot opposite Davis. Johnson is a FS I really like who can possibly help out at CB too. Brown gives Indy another NT prospect to share time with Woods.

Several issues here....

Neither trade is close to being realistic....

The Colts get way too much from detroit where we trade a 1 and 3 and get back a 1, 2, 3....    never happens.

And the Colts get way, WAY too much from Minn, where we get a 3 this year for a 3 and a 6 next year.    That never EVER happens.       Not even close.       Typically, if you're trading a pick next year for a pick this year,  you have to trade one round higher....     so, that if the Colts wanted a 3 this year,  they'd have to trade next years 2.        Trading next years 3 and throwing in a 6 gets you laughed at and then hung up on....

Beyond the trades,  the previous poster is correct....      We're not waiting until the 3rd to take our cornerbacks and then have the first one be a guy who is likely out for the season....     Not happening....

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Several issues here....

Neither trade is close to being realistic....

The Colts get way too much from detroit where we trade a 1 and 3 and get back a 1, 2, 3....    never happens.

And the Colts get way, WAY too much from Minn, where we get a 3 this year for a 3 and a 6 next year.    That never EVER happens.       Not even close.       Typically, if you're trading a pick next year for a pick this year,  you have to trade one round higher....     so, that if the Colts wanted a 3 this year,  they'd have to trade next years 2.        Trading next years 3 and throwing in a 6 gets you laughed at and then hung up on....

Beyond the trades,  the previous poster is correct....      We're not waiting until the 3rd to take our cornerbacks and then have the first one be a guy who is likely out for the season....     Not happening....

How are those trades bogus? Indy is essentially getting a 2nd back from Detroit for trading down 6 spots plus also giving them the higher 3rd round pick.

And for a late 3rd round pick I would think a 2018 3rd plus a 5th or 6th would do it. You don't always have to match everything up perfectly on the value chart. If Detroit really wants a player like OJ Howard or Dalvin Cook they'll make the deal.

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

How are those trades bogus? Indy is essentially getting a 2nd back from Detroit for trading down 6 spots plus also giving them the higher 3rd round pick.

And for a late 3rd round pick I would think a 2018 3rd plus a 5th or 6th would do it. You don't always have to match everything up perfectly on the value chart. If Detroit really wants a player like OJ Howard or Dalvin Cook they'll make the deal.

If you look at the trade-points chart,  the Colts are +95 points on the Detroit trade.     We're getting way too much for trading back way too little.       We're getting an extra 95 points which is a low 3rd round pick.

And I explained the future trade.    Trading a future pick means you're trading a round higher...

What's the incentive to give up a 2017 3rd for 2018 3rd?       A 6?    Insulting.    A 5?    Not even close.

If you want a 2017 3rd,  you're offer has to be a 2018 2nd.     That's how it works.

When the Colts traded a future pick for Montori Hughes in 2013,   we didn't have a 5 that year,   so we traded a 4 from 2014 in order to get a 5 that year.       That's how this works.     The cost of trading future picks is very expensive.       Don't blame me,  it's how NFL teams value their picks...

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When the Colts traded a future pick for Montori Hughes in 2013,   we didn't have a 5 that year,   so we traded a 4 from 2014 in order to get a 5 that year.       That's how this works.     The cost of trading future picks is very expensive.       Don't blame me,  it's how NFL teams value their picks...

IMO it makes complete sense.

Think of it as interest; you borrow $100 now, now you owe $110 a year later. Practically speaking, if a team gets an extra draft pick this year, it makes the team better; thus, their draft picks next year will be later rather than earlier, thus worth even less.

If you want to move up even ONE spot in the 2nd-3rd round, prepare to hand over at least a 4th rounder ASAP or next year's 2nd rounder. Nobody trades JJ Watt for a combination of Josh McNary, Zach Kerr, and Jonathan Harrison.

17 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

5th and 6th rounders have zero trade value. If you want to move up even ONE spot in the 3rd, that'll take 200 5th and 6th rounders.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Trades

Analysis

What would you have Cleveland give us for Luck? 

11 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I would love either one of those guys!

10 hours ago, rock8591 said:

5th and 6th rounders have zero trade value. If you want to move up even ONE spot in the 3rd, that'll take 200 5th and 6th rounders.

I would move back for all those 5th's & 6th's.

But who is going to feed them during camp?....got it, Irsay has a account at Costco, right?

On 3/26/2017 at 3:49 PM, throwing BBZ said:

What would you have Cleveland give us for Luck? 

Interesting......    they are the only team with enough to offer ..... maybe ever....  

But it would take about all their top 3- 4 rounds for the next 2 years....  Of course we would actually be the new Browns looking for a QB

I like Charles Harris, but he'll be gone before the 2nd round starts.  I would prefer Rueben Foster over Riddick and Charles Harris in latter before Dalls gets him at 28th....BRoland it was thinking outside the box which is ok.