Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Adams says Colts D didn't get enough respect

RockThatBlue

"We got in his face and we did things that made him feel uncomfortable,” Adams said. “I remember how well we played as a defense."

I like this quote Mike. I just wish that neither the Steelers or the dreaded Cowboys kicked our caboose this last season. Trent Cole should set the tone for changing that result thankfully. 

Just beat the Patriots in December & then we will talk okay. 

Denver didn't give the Colt's defense enough respect and probably thought that they had it in the bag. Teams like New England probably don't have any respect for the Colts and probably still won't this coming season until the Colts finally beat them. Being consistent is the really huge issue that Mike Adams needs to realize. Sure he may be doing his job, but a few other players may be slipping or just flat out had a bad game. Have to keep that momentum going through each game and maintain consistency.

Amen.  Defense has gotta show up against the New England, Dallas and Pittsburgh's of this league before shooting off about any lack of respect.

Amen.  Defense has gotta show up against the New England, Dallas and Pittsburgh's of this league before shooting off about any lack of respect.

Actually, just run the ball well in Foxboro & I'll be happy in December. I just wanna see that INDY can defeat elite clubs running the ball down their darn throat. Cutting Luck interceptions is the key & that's how you do it. 

The ground game is our biggest impediment to a Championship right now. Yes I know defense wins titles, but you steal your adversary's heart by pounding the rock over & over again until they submit via exhaustion. 

Actually, just run the ball well in Foxboro & I'll be happy in December. I just wanna see that INDY can defeat elite clubs running the ball down their darn throat. Cutting Luck interceptions is the key & that's how you do it. 

The ground game is our biggest impediment to a Championship right now. Yes I know defense wins titles, but you steal your adversary's heart by pounding the rock over & over again until they submit via exhaustion. 

SW1, did you know that in the AFC Championship game that the Colts and the Patriots averaged the exact same amount of rushing yards per carry at 4.3.  However, the Pats rushed the ball twice as many times as the Colts while also passing for close to the same number of pass attempts.  The difference is that the Pats were able to get the Colts off the field on 3rd down, whereas the Colts defense failed miserably giving the Pats far more offensive possessions.  I think it falls on our defense to get better against teams that can manage to run and pass the football.  Defense has got to be better at getting off the field on 3rd & 4th down against teams like the Pats, Steelers and Cowboys. 

SW1, did you know that in the AFC Championship game that the Colts and the Patriots averaged the exact same amount of rushing yards per carry at 4.3.  However, the Pats rushed the ball twice as many times as the Colts while also passing for close to the same number of pass attempts.  The difference is that the Pats were able to get the Colts off the field on 3rd down, whereas the Colts defense failed miserably giving the Pats far more offensive possessions.  I think it falls on our defense to get better against teams that can manage to run and pass the football.  Defense has got to be better at getting off the field on 3rd & 4th down against teams like the Pats, Steelers and Cowboys. 

Good point CM1788. Stopping opposing teams on 3rd down was a big problem in the precursor to the SB, but other than before Bradshaw got hurt, INDY's running game never really blew me away that much. 

How do the Broncos not qualify as a top offense in the league? Because the defense actually played well against them?

You're not going to get a lot of respect when you are the ONLY defense in the entire history of the NFL to allow a 500-yard passer AND a 200-yard rusher in the same season.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  THIS!!!!  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We have a new poster and I think he makes a good impression with this post.

Don't get me wrong, I think TK has sucked on some bad apple juice and I think the defense is better than it is perceived.   But the many posters here saying "respect is earned" are right and this post above pretty much says it all.

When you make history in a bad way,  it's going to come back to bite you.

Just sayin.....

I mean I guess. It didn't help they got blown out the next week.

I only needed to read until the second post in this thread. Dustin said all that needs to be said.

If we want to be given any credit on defense then we cannot allow average NFL running backs to keep having career days against us.

The last thing our players on defense need to ask for is respect. Respect is earned. Go earn it.

How do the Broncos not qualify as a top offense in the league? Because the defense actually played well against them?

Peyton was injured when we beat them in the playoffs.  Come on now.  Plus we all know from experience that he isn't the same quarterback in the post season as he is in the regular season.  The first game they pretty much shredded our defense in the first half.  Our defense played better in the second half but still gave up over 30 points. 

Peyton was injured when we beat them in the playoffs.  Come on now.  Plus we all know from experience that he isn't the same quarterback in the post season as he is in the regular season.  The first game they pretty much shredded our defense in the first half.  Our defense played better in the second half but still gave up over 30 points. 

He got hurt in Week 15. They still put up 28 on the Bengals (our D got zero credit for holding them to 10 points, also), and 47 on the Raiders. They averaged over 30 points over the last month of the season. This is the same team that took our defense apart in Week 1, just like you said.

We go on the road and hold them to 13 points. And instead of just saying "yeah, the defense did a good job," we have to play this excuse game. I don't get it.

Everyone knows the defense isn't great and awesome and all that. We all know that they got ran over the next week. But even including the 45-7 nonsense, the Colts defense was the third best scoring defense in the playoffs, behind only the two Super Bowl teams. They deserve a little bit of credit. We can acknowledge that they played pretty well in the first two games. It's okay to do that.

He got hurt in Week 15. They still put up 28 on the Bengals (our D got zero credit for holding them to 10 points, also), and 47 on the Raiders. They averaged over 30 points over the last month of the season. This is the same team that took our defense apart in Week 1, just like you said.

We go on the road and hold them to 13 points. And instead of just saying "yeah, the defense did a good job," we have to play this excuse game. I don't get it.

Everyone knows the defense isn't great and awesome and all that. We all know that they got ran over the next week. But even including the 45-7 nonsense, the Colts defense was the third best scoring defense in the playoffs, behind only the two Super Bowl teams. They deserve a little bit of credit. We can acknowledge that they played pretty well in the first two games. It's okay to do that.

But you also can't sweep the debacles against the Pats, Steelers and Cowboys under the rug either.  Even if I were to give them props for how they played the Broncos...the bottom line remains that our defense was very inconsistent and should not be popping off their gums about being disrespected.  That is what this thread is about.  I don't know how Mike Adams could even say that with a straight face given the last impression his unit left on the field.  Way too inconsistent.  I prefer to hear less talk and see more on the field consistency.

But you also can't sweep the debacles against the Pats, Steelers and Cowboys under the rug either.  Even if I were to give them props for how they played the Broncos...the bottom line remains that our defense was very inconsistent and should not be popping off their gums about being disrespected.  That is what this thread is about.  I don't know how Mike Adams could even say that with a straight face given the last impression his unit left on the field.  Way too inconsistent.  I prefer to hear less talk and see more on the field consistency.

I'm not sweeping anything under the rug. We're talking about one game (or two) where the defense played well. We can just say "hey, the defense played well in that game" without beating them up about the games where they didn't play well. That's allowed.

I think we've all spent plenty of time talking about the bad games. We all know that the defense has a lot of work to do.

I'm not sweeping anything under the rug. We're talking about one game (or two) where the defense played well. We can just say "hey, the defense played well in that game" without beating them up about the games where they didn't play well. That's allowed.

I think we've all spent plenty of time talking about the bad games. We all know that the defense has a lot of work to do.

The games our defense looked good in were the Cincinatti games when we faced them both times without A.J. Green, most of our divisional games against the weak AFC South , and the game against Denver in the playoffs where Peyton was clearly hurt and not at 100%.  So sure they had their good games but often there were other mitigating factors at play that helped them look better than they were.  I put more stock in how they looked against New England, Dallas and Pittsburgh.  Teams that can pass on you and punch you in the mouth at the same time.  Against those type of teams...our defense was pitiful.  Plain and simple. 

The games our defense looked good in were the Cincinatti games when we faced them both times without A.J. Green, most of our divisional games against the weak AFC South , and the game against Denver in the playoffs where Peyton was clearly not 100%.  So sure they had their good games but often there were other factors at play that also helped them look better than they were.  I put more stock in how they looked against New England, Dallas and Pittsburgh.  Teams that can pass on you and punch you in the mouth at the same time.  Against those type of teams...our defense was pitiful.  Plain and simple. 

I don't really count the Dallas game. The gameplans on both side of the ball were really basic, we held out some of our best players, Luck came out at halftime, we tried a fake punt deep in our own territory early in the game, etc... I think that was treated like a preseason game by the staff.

And yeah, I know AJ Green didn't play, but that defense was on its game in both of those matchups. To go from 42 points in 2013 to a shutout in 2014, and then another dominant defensive effort in the playoff game, I think we can just say that the defense played really well. Even AJ Green on his best day isn't worth 27 points. If that's the case, then I'm going to say that we only lost to the Cowboys because TY Hilton didn't play.

I'm just saying, I don't think it's necessary to undermine every good defensive game in favor of harping on the bad ones.

I don't really count the Dallas game. The gameplans on both side of the ball were really basic, we held out some of our best players, Luck came out at halftime, we tried a fake punt deep in our own territory early in the game, etc... I think that was treated like a preseason game by the staff.

And yeah, I know AJ Green didn't play, but that defense was on its game in both of those matchups. To go from 42 points in 2013 to a shutout in 2014, and then another dominant defensive effort in the playoff game, I think we can just say that the defense played really well. Even AJ Green on his best day isn't worth 27 points. If that's the case, then I'm going to say that we only lost to the Cowboys because TY Hilton didn't play.

I'm just saying, I don't think it's necessary to undermine every good defensive game in favor of harping on the bad ones.

OK...I hear you man. I can give you the Dallas game.  I respect you as a poster here and you usually make very good points.  Just bear with me because those beat downs to New England are hard for me to take.  I mean one or two can be attributed to our growing pains but this has become a bad pattern.  I'm not really convinced that we have done enough defensively yet to prevent it from happening again.  Every year we think our defense will be better and then we watch the same problems manifest themselves anew all over again.  Maybe I'm getting a bit jaded.  But I just call it like I see it. 

Don't get me wrong...I enjoy the games where our defense has looked good.  I'm up hollering at the screen and cheering them on like everyone else.  But at the same time I don't lose sight of the fact that most of those times we were playing teams that weren't at full strength or no where near our level (as in AFC South).  I agree that the Colts would have still won the games against the Bengals even with A.J. Green but I don't think our defense would have been as dominant in that first win.  That was probably the best game I think I have ever seen our defense play at least in the Indianapolis era. 

Pagano and co should be fired if they actually treated the Dallas game like that. 

I'd rather the explanation be they just sucked than they basically forfeited a game when we still had a chance at a first round bye. 

Pagano and co should be fired if they actually treated the Dallas game like that. 

I'd rather the explanation be they just sucked than they basically forfeited a game when we still had a chance at a first round bye. 

Teams burn games in Weeks 16 and 17 every year by resting players and paring back their gameplans. I don't really like it (don't get me started on 2009), but it's not uncommon. I don't know if you went back and rewatched that game, but it wasn't a typical gameplan.

I don't remember the seeding scenarios, but I think there was only a tiny chance of us getting a #2 seed. And the way things went, even if we had gone 12-4, we still would have been #3 at best.

I never thought the Colts D got enough credit for the Denver playoff game because Manning came out right after and said his quad was injured. I thought the defensive game plan was great and executed to perfection which is not easy to do vs Manning injured or not. I think some of the shine was taken off that game after the Pats game but I get what Adams is saying.

Teams burn games in Weeks 16 and 17 every year by resting players and paring back their gameplans. I don't really like it (don't get me started on 2009), but it's not uncommon. I don't know if you went back and rewatched that game, but it wasn't a typical gameplan.

I don't remember the seeding scenarios, but I think there was only a tiny chance of us getting a #2 seed. And the way things went, even if we had gone 12-4, we still would have been #3 at best.

We had to win our last two games and Denver had to lose their last two (against Cincy and the Raiders).

You're giving them way too much credit. They just sucked.

We had to win our last two games and Denver had to lose their last two (against Cincy and the Raiders).

You're giving them way too much credit. They just sucked.

Denver went 1-1. The Broncos haven't lost to the Raiders in the three years Manning has been there, and Manning hasn't lost to the Raiders since 2001. And our team, which wasn't playing well at the time, had to beat Dallas in Dallas.

We did suck against the Cowboys, regardless of what I think about the gameplan and approach. Luck played poorly, there was no run game, we gave up too many big plays on defense. I just don't think the game was high priority.

Denver went 1-1. The Broncos haven't lost to the Raiders in the three years Manning has been there, and Manning hasn't lost to the Raiders since 2001. And our team, which wasn't playing well at the time, had to beat Dallas in Dallas

Again, there was no reason to not try to win that game (not being a high priority whatever you want to call it). It doesn't even make sense once you think about it for a minute (Luck threw 22 passes in the 1st half). 

We still had a shot at a bye, even if you (or they) think it was unlikely, there's no reason to not attempt to play your hardest when you still have a possibility to have an extra week off. 

Like I said, if they actually did what you suggest, then they're not very smart (to put in in PC terms). I'd rather the explanation be they just put together a bad gameplan and couldn't execute then they just punted away a chance at a first round by because they didn't think another team was going to win. 

Again, there was no reason to not try to win that game (not being a high priority whatever you want to call it). It doesn't even make sense once you think about it for a minute (Luck threw 22 passes in the 1st half). 

We still had a shot at a bye, even if you (or they) think it was unlikely, there's no reason to not attempt to play your hardest when you still have a possibility to have an extra week off. 

Like I said, if they actually did what you suggest, then they're not very smart (to put in in PC terms). I'd rather the explanation be they just put together a bad gameplan and couldn't execute then they just punted away a chance at a first round by because they didn't think another team was going to win. 

A much higher than normal portion of Luck's passes were screens and quick hitters. And he still threw two picks. Maybe they were trying to protect him, given the OL shuffles going on.

Whether they should have played it that way or not is a different story. After rewatching the game several times, the way they played it was just different than how they played pretty much every other game that year. Maybe they did just put together a pitiful gameplan, and maybe it was just poorly executed. I don't know how that's any better; you still got beat 42-7.