Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to stop the Pats?

3nk1du

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general, QBs throw more interceptions on the road. And road QBs in general throw more interceptions in Gillette. There's no reason that phenomenon wouldn't apply to Andrew Luck. Of course he's mentally tough, but that doesn't mean it's not harder to play a road game in Gillette.

You think it's Gillette, I think it is the Patriots. :)  They lead the league or are among the leading teams in TO differential this  year and have been very good in that area throughout their run with Brady and Bill.

In general, QBs throw more interceptions on the road. And road QBs in general throw more interceptions in Gillette. There's no reason that phenomenon wouldn't apply to Andrew Luck. Of course he's mentally tough, but that doesn't mean it's not harder to play a road game in Gillette.

I just looked it up. The Pats have forced 10 turnovers (6 INTs) on the road this season. They have forced 8 (4 INTs) at home. So they have been better at forcing turnovers including interceptions on the road this year.

You think it's Gillette, I think it is the Patriots. :)  They lead the league or are among the leading teams in TO differential this  year and have been very good in that area throughout their run with Brady and Bill.

It's both.

I just looked it up. The Pats have forced 10 turnovers (6 INTs) on the road this season. They have forced 8 (4 INTs) at home. So they have been better at forcing turnovers including interceptions on the road this year.

Okay, so home field advantage doesn't exist. Thanks for clearing that up.

That's ridiculous, and betrays a lack of understanding (or perhaps an unwillingness to understand) of how home field advantage affects teams.

What are you talking about now? You said his picks were caused in part by home field advantage. You have yet to prove that. He has 5 picks at home, 4 on the road this year. Pats have caused more picks on road this year.

Why is it so hard to understand that it's tougher for QBs to play on the road? Is this really a controversial statement?

The QB in question here though is Luck, right? He has a pretty good home and away record, right? When he faces NE though his INT rate goes through the roof to the tune of 3.5 per game. More than any other team. These were not weather related INTs either as the weather was fine both games. My issue here is that your stance infers that Luck is not able to handle the road or specifically NE well. You have yet to say specifically what about home field advantage seems to bother him to where he is throwing so many passes to the wrong team. I don't believe that is true. Like at all. I think NE has been able to force many of those picks as Bill has made a living off of young QBs and honing on their tendencies and Luck's inexperience has contributed as well not some Foxboro haunting ...

The QB in question here though is Luck, right? He has a pretty good home and away record, right? When he faces NE though his INT rate goes through the roof to the tune of 3.5 per game. More than any other team. These were not weather related INTs either as the weather was fine both games. My issue here is that your stance infers that Luck is not able to handle the road or specifically NE well. You have yet to say specifically what about home field advantage seems to bother him to where he is throwing so many passes to the wrong team. I don't believe that is true. Like at all. I think NE has been able to force many of those picks as Bill has made a living off of young QBs and honing on their tendencies and Luck's inexperience has contributed as well not some Foxboro haunting ...

So home field advantage = Foxboro haunting...

I feel like I'm discussing the Pythagorean Theorem with someone who doesn't believe in math. 

That's ridiculous, and betrays a lack of understanding (or perhaps an unwillingness to understand) of how home field advantage affects teams.

In general home is always better,Gillette or not because the players are simply at home. That's a big deal, particularly on some back to back long travel. I've hear travel is the big killer.  At home players can actually go home. Not to a hotel where the home team might make the fire alarm go off......oh wait :)

I could not agree with you more. Gillette is one of the hardest places for an opposing QB to play. Manning has a boat load of INTs there and Luck has been no different in two games. The combo of Brady, Bill and Foxboro is usually too much for most opposing QBs.

Yea our DB's suck, just Darius Butler who's even good in the nickel for 2 years now and Greg Toler who has been one of the top #2's in the league when healthy... Oh and that Davis guy arguably the top corner in the league.... Yea but outside of that we suck

Don't forget Mike Adams being on the top of his game and rated as a top safety in his position!  But yeah, our secondary is garbage :thmup:

Bill Belichick has the best secondary that he has had since the days of Ty Law, Rodney Harrison, Otis Smith and etc.. and now with top corners on the outside to match and a deep cornerback poole he can mix and match, and design and scheme at will while Rob Ninkovich can be used as a spy.. either him or Jamie Collins.. Luck has to be careful in this game.. He'll see alot of stuff post snap that will trick him and throw him off. 

Rob Ninkovich better be spying (lol pun intended from spygate teehee), because if he doesn't Luck will torch him.  You think Gronk is hard for a LB to cover?  So is DA and Coby Fleener!

And home many home games vs. away?  Who were the teams they played?  These facts are more important than where the game was played!!

Come up with your own analogy.

Eh, not worth going back over. I get your position, I just disagree on it related to Luck's INTs. I am not saying being on the road had nothing to do with it, I just don't think it was as big of an influence. I would say 90 percent Pats, 10 percent playing in Foxboro. Maybe you agree with that breakdown?

And home many home games vs. away?  Who were the teams they played?  These facts are more important than where the game was played!!

Good questions.

Away were Miami. Minnesota, KC and Buffalo.

Home were Jets, Denver, Chicago, Oakland, Cincy.

They have actually played one more home game to date and still have more TOs and INTs on the road. They got zero TOs vs Geno Smith and the Jets at home which is surprising.

Eh, not worth going back over. I get your position, I just disagree on it related to Luck's INTs. I am not saying being on the road had nothing to do with it, I just don't think it was as big of an influence. I would say 90 percent Pats, 10 percent playing in Foxboro. Maybe you agree with that breakdown?

I don't necessarily agree with that breakdown, but that's fine. 

Jamie Collins shutdown Coby Fleener last year so what the heck are you talking about? 

Fleener is our #2 TE.  DA was injured last year, and it was totally different circumstances, different game, different outcome.  Every Patriots fan that has trolled on here seems to think because the Pats beat us in the playoffs last year it means it's a lock this year.  Or this player did this, so it will happen again.  That is why they play the game!  So please tell me, what does it matter what those two did last year?

Good questions.

Away were Miami. Minnesota, KC and Buffalo.

Home were Jets, Denver, Chicago, Oakland, Cincy.

They have actually played one more home game to date and still have more TOs and INTs on the road. They got zero TOs vs Geno Smith and the Jets at home which is surprising.

Thanks for the info.  So now I will validate the original opinon that it doesn't matter if they play on the road or at home they can do just as well...  Just keep in mind the Colts are not those other teams, and despite what happened last season, that doesn't mean it WILL happen again.  It could, or it may not.  We will have to wait and see.

Thanks for the info.  So now I will validate the original opinon that it doesn't matter if they play on the road or at home they can do just as well...  Just keep in mind the Colts are not those other teams, and despite what happened last season, that doesn't mean it WILL happen again.  It could, or it may not.  We will have to wait and see.

Yeah, I agree with your first sentence completely. Although they are a great, great home team, they are a very good road team as well. I feel good about this game for the Colts not so much because we are at home but because we have a potent offense to stay with Brady and the Pats. If we do play a clean game, we will be very difficult to beat.