Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

Dustin

Brian..its the Bleacher Report.....come on

....Matt barkley was the Heisman frontrunner..Its was his to lose..

..and this thing goes back 3 years...

He says he just found out on Dec. 26.....He didnt perpetuate anything..

People want a bad guy in this story....and there isnt one..

Even the catfish con men did nit committ any crimes..

I agree with the overall point you make.  I am a firm believer in Occam's Razor.  To me, this has nothing to do with sexual preference.  I also don't think this has anything to do with the Heisman.  I would have thought much worse about Teo, would have been convinced he was complicit in this hoax had Notre Dame not made an official statement, held a press conference yesterday.  Notre Dame isn't going to continue a lie.  They wouldn't place their reputation on the line for a player now leaving the school in some attempt to support the privacy of who Teo sleeps with, or to protect his lies, or anything else.  Notre Dame said yesterday that Teo was fully vetted since December, and is a victim. 

I do think Teo got taken for a ride.  I think he first had contact with who he thought was a woman in October of 2011  - as Deadspin showed in their article through Twitter accounts.  What I also think happened, however, is that the story fit Teo, he liked being the guy who overcame adversity, liked the praise, attention, and good will he got as the boyfriend of now deceased young woman.  He may well have always been duped.  But he sure as heck didn't need to expand on the story.  He didn't need to tell his parents about visits to Hawaii he knew never happened.  It became his reality, and he willfully participated in the myth.  Maybe because he wanted the story to be true.  Maybe because he couldn't find his way out once the story was being retold every time he was interviewed, during every game, all the time.  He couldn't minimize the depth and scope of the relationship once certain lies were told.  Lies he told. 

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because maybe she never let him do Skype or FaceTime...

She told him not to visit...She told him not take a game off if she died..

Her 'parents' wanted to keep the thing private so they didnt send him a photo to give to ESPN..

Maybe he DID meet "HER' but it wasn't her......It was a scam..a con...

Y'all are still not getting that this was a tech-savvy 21st Century scam.

again..look up catfishing....and read about the scams

I know full well about all the different scams and games people play on the internet and it does not change the fact that he has to be one of the gullible people out there if for three years this "girl" refused to meet him, do Skype, webcam, Google Talk, FaceTime, or any other visual forms of communication. Had this transpired over a couple months I would totally believe his story, but something like this goes on for three years at some point a light bulb has to go off in his head.

If this story is true then I hope someone is smart enough to disconnect Te'o from the internet when he goes pro because we will just be hearing another story that he lost all of his money because he thought he had this great deal with a Nigerian prince.

Te'o stock is going to plummet for this. He will either be perceived as dumb and gullible or as worse of a me first player then a guy like TO.

Much of what you say I agree with..or accept the possibility of....What did he know and when did he know it...?

He may have had doubts.......about his 'girlfriend' but he didnt want to question in case he was wrong..and he liked publicity

But for others to say the most decorated.....most heralded player in ND history needed more publicty to win the Heisman isnt solid logic..he plays for Notre Dame..every game is on TV

..and to say he faked an on-line girlfriend's death to get more sympathy even though his grandma just died..is also thin ice

...and to say he needs a fake girlfriend because he was gay is very 1970s...Its okay to be gay now and there's 100 girls at ND who would be Teo's girlfriend for any reason..They'd pretend to be gay, too. He's about to be a multi-millionaire. I'd be his girlfriend

'

Bottom line:

..Why is easy to believe that Teo is smart enough to plan an elaborate on-line, in depth 'fake girl' media scam..

...and its so hard to believe this guy isnt Mr. Wizard and got conned...played and displayed

which one is more likely?

I know full well about all the different scams and games people play on the internet and it does not change the fact that he has to be one of the gullible people out there if for three years this "girl" refused to meet him, do Skype, webcam, Google Talk, FaceTime, or any other visual forms of communication. Had this transpired over a couple months I would totally believe his story, but something like this goes on for three years at some point a light bulb has to go off in his head.

If this story is true then I hope someone is smart enough to disconnect Te'o from the internet when he goes pro because we will just be hearing another story that he lost all of his money because he thought he had this great deal with a Nigerian prince.

Te'o stock is going to plummet for this. He will either be perceived as dumb and gullible or as worse of a me first player then a guy like TO.

SHOW.if you were 22..you'd believe ANYTHING a hot girl told you...and if you talked to her every week and she cooed like a dove...you'd believe it for 3 years. trust me.

College boys light bulbs do not go off in their heads when it comes to the babes...never have..never will

Teo's stock probably will not plummet..There are killers, cheaters and wife beaters in the NFL..

They only care if you can play.

Much of what you say I agree with..or accept the possibility of....What did he know and when did he know it...?

He may have had doubts.......about his 'girlfriend' but he didnt want to question in case he was wrong..and he liked publicity

But for others to say the most decorated.....most heralded player in ND history needed more publicty to win the Heisman isnt solid logic..he plays for Notre Dame..every game is on TV

..and to say he faked an on-line girlfriend's death to get more sympathy even though his grandma just died..is also thin ice

...and to say he needs a fake girlfriend because he was gay is very 1970s...Its okay to be gay now and there's 100 girls at ND who would be Teo's girlfriend for any reason..They'd pretend to be gay, too. He's about to be a multi-millionaire. I'd be his girlfriend

'

Bottom line:

..Why is easy to believe that Teo is smart enough to plan an elaborate on-line, in depth 'fake girl' media scam..

...and its so hard to believe this guy isnt Mr. Wizard and got conned...played and displayed

which one is more likely?

On the 1st bolded part, That is categorically untrue, there have been several gay athlete's that have came out since they retired and said if they would have came out when they were still playing that they would have been shunned. This is especially true for a mormon playing at a catholic school. 

On the second bolded part. The 1st choice is much more likely. Not to mention that you keep ignoring the fact that he said that he had met her and vacationed with her multiple times. Im not going to go into all the other inconsistencies in his story, but there are many and none of them are believable. 

On the 1st bolded part, That is categorically untrue, there have several gay athlete's that have came out since they retired and said if they would have came out when they were still playing that they would have been shunned. This is especially true for a mormon playing at a catholic school.

On the second part bolded part. The 1st choice is much more likely. Not to mention that you keep ignoring the fact that he said that he had met her and vacationed with her multiple times. Im not going to go into all the other inconsistencies in his story, but there are many and none of them are believable.

Actually, most can't seem to find any quotes of him saying anything like that. His dad did however. Not sure what that means. But it is what it is

SHOW.if you were 22..you'd believe ANYTHING a hot girl told you...and if you talked to her every week and she cooed like a dove...you'd believe it for 3 years. trust me.

College boys light bulbs do not go off in their heads when it comes to the babes...never have..never will

Teo's stock probably will not plummet..There are killers, cheaters and wife beaters in the NFL..

Mark please, I was a 22 yr. old college guy at one time and I can absolutely guarantee you that in no way shape or form would I believe there was a hot chick in love with me, but never wanted to meet me for 3 solid yrs.. That is just completely ridiculous.  I still say that this guy is lying and I would bet the house it will eventually come out, but I will say if he is telling the truth, that he is without doubt in the top 5 of all stupidest people to ever walk the planet.

honestly i doubt he was involved. there are things in each story i either read or heard on tv that would make him the victim. 

first: why are they just NOW deciding to come out with the story??? these pictures have been plastered all over the TV in almost everyone of Notre Dames Games. not to mention they kept talking about her and his grandmother dying. 

2nd: why would you (if you were the victim of these photos) hide your identity? you already been exposed with the pictures coming out back in september, and if some unknown magazine/paper (whatever it is they were) can find you, then i can guarentee your local fox,CBS,NBC etc. news teams can find you, someone is going to leak your  name out anyway. 

3rd: Why would Te'o do something and expose the pictures on national television KNOWING that the real owner of those photos will find out about it??? really makes no sense what so ever. 

4th: now the guy they say who is behind it all, supposedly done it to someone else back in 08' i think they said, using the same photos etc. yeah Te'o lied said he met the girl in person, at the same time it could be understandable because he didnt want people knowing he met her off the internet. 

5th: they said the guy who was behind it all was a teammate of Te'o i cant remember if they said HS or at ND. maybe jealousy came into play??? Te'o is future NFL player to be taken in the first round, this guy obviously hasnt played a down in the NFL so now he is jealous and looking to hurt him?

6th: Te'o said he had talked to her on the phone numerous times, if thats the case maybe this woman who claims these photos are of her, are just that. they are of her BUT she is the one that Te' o has also been talking to, and maybe he broke up with her and this woman is trying to tarnish his reputation now, because she was hoping for a future with him for that paycheck???

There is all kinds of things that could have come into play here including him actually lying about it all, so until the facts are actually straight he isnt guilty of anything. as an irish fan, i hope the story is not true, but also if it is true well it obviously was good motivation for him to play harder and get them to where they gotten and had not been in 24 years regardless of losing. but still is the wrong way to go about it. all i can say is thank god he is graduating cause now that drama will not follow into next season. 

Voters def give votes based upon 'the story' that was Te'os biggest draw, the fact that he was such an inspiration.....between Eddie Lacy dragging him up and down the field and this...he's def dropped his stock

Thats subjective and personal opinion ... many would say he wasn't even a candidate until mid-late season when the Irish were closing in on #1 undefeated and he was leading his team - not much to do with person life.

I still say this entire story is NOT worthy of the coverage it is getting!

I was a 22 year old guy in college and I was dumb when it came to hot girls, but at no point was I naive enough to not see an issue with a girl who supposedly was in love with me for three years and she never wanted to see me. Like I said it is totally plausible had this gone on for 2-3 months after meeting some girl and trading twitter handles or facebook user names. When you hit the 2-3 years mark then the plausibility that he is just the most naive person out there fades.

It is not very 1970s to say that if he was a gay athlete that he would need a fake girlfriend. As Balzer said many gay athletes have come out after they retired and said coming out during their playing career would have been a disaster for their career and probably would have been shunned by the sports community. Our society has come a long way, but the sports world lags behind tremendously in that area. You throw in his personal religion and the fact he went to a Catholic college then it pains a much more believable story then what is being portrayed now.

On the 1st bolded part, That is categorically untrue, there have been several gay athlete's that have came out since they retired and said if they would have came out when they were still playing that they would have been shunned. This is especially true for a mormon playing at a catholic school. 

On the second bolded part. The 1st choice is much more likely. Not to mention that you keep ignoring the fact that he said that he had met her and vacationed with her multiple times. Im not going to go into all the other inconsistencies in his story, but there are many and none of them are believable. 

You speak of past NFL athletes who have retired. Times changed changed in the past few years..Its not the stigma it was...

..and again..Gay athletes dont have to invent a fake girlfriends off campus...there are many on-campus..

and Balzer..he DID met her....but who was the 'HER' he met??? He talked to her every week..every day but who was the SHE he talked to.? You're not getting it. It was a scam....he was set up and played. That's the point.

..You may not know how elaborate these scams are. I didnt until I looked into it.

Please look this up..

Anybody can cook up a halfbaked plan..but if he did..all he has to say is...It was a prank and I lied and I;m sorry. Forgive ,me. I didnt hurt anybody. Notre Dame would stand by him and he'd go to the NFL...He' d been a kid who pulled a stupid prank..but he didnt beat his wife..or drive drunk .ND has stood by kids who WERE drunks and violent losers far worse (much to their discredit)

...teo could admit it and its no 'biggie'....he didnt

What he is saying is the hard road and it makes him look like an * and/or a con man...

You have to agree: There's far more dummies than con men.

Answers in red.

You speak of past NFL athletes who have retired. Times changed changed in the past few years..Its not the stigma it was...
..and again..Gay athletes dont have to invent a fake girlfriends off campus...there are many on-campus..

Mark, you are delusional if you think gay athletes will be accepted in the locker room in even todays sports, especially pro football. There have been reports on this and most athlete's that have been asked(under the condition of anonymity) , said they would not be accepted.

and Balzer..he DID met her....but who was the 'HER' he met??? He talked to her every week..every day but who was the SHE he talked to.? You're not getting it. It was a scam....he was set up and played. That's the point.
..You may not know how elaborate these scams are. I didnt until I looked into it.
Please look this up..

Thats just it, he is saying now that he NEVER met her at any time. See the inconsistency. I understand the scam mark, I just don't believe for a second that he wasn't in on it. It's just not realistic. If this had been a short lived scam then yes, I could believe it but not for 3 yrs.. That is complete supidity, borderline mentally challenged for someone to believe they had a GF for 3 yrs., yet they never met them in person.

Anybody can cook up a halfbaked plan..but if he did..all he has to say is...It was a prank and I lied and I;m sorry. Forgive ,me. I didnt hurt anybody. Notre Dame would stand by him and he'd go to the NFL...He' d been a kid who pulled a stupid prank..but he didnt beat his wife..or drive drunk .ND has stood by kids who WERE drunks and violent losers far worse (much to their discredit)

...teo could admit it and its no 'biggie'....he didnt

What he is saying is the hard road and it makes him look like an * and/or a con man...
You have to agree: There's far more dummies than con men.

It's not that easy, it spun out of control and those involved(including Te'o) couldn't figure any other way out unless they faked the fake girls death. They thought after he got some sympathy for the loss that this would all just go away and they wouldn't have to carry on the scam anymore. It blew up in his face and now he has a ton of questions to answer and I think he's going to try to continue the lie hoping people will just grow tired of it and stop asking questions. We'll see mark, I don't believe a word of his story and neither does about 95% of others that have heard it. IMO if he is gay and trying to hide it, it would just be easier to admit it and go on, because now he either looks like a huge liar and scam artist, or he looks like the stupidest person on earth. Im not sure which is worse.

Mark please, I was a 22 yr. old college guy at one time and I can absolutely guarantee you that in no way shape or form would I believe there was a hot chick in love with me, but never wanted to meet me for 3 solid yrs.. That is just completely ridiculous.  I still say that this guy is lying and I would bet the house it will eventually come out, but I will say if he is telling the truth, that he is without doubt in the top 5 of all stupidest people to ever walk the planet.

I'd bet you and I are in the same demographic.  I too can't wrap my head around how anyone could build a relationship without having a meal together, never going to a movie, never developing any physical relationship (and I'm not talking biblical even, just being with another human being).  But I also know, based partly on having kids in Teo's demographic, and in other professional and personal endeavors, that the world online, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, MMOs, other sims, consume millions of lives, are a multimillion dollar industry.  There is a world today based completely in the digital realm.  There are millions upon millions of people who find the digital reality far more pleasing then the real world.  I don't get it, I missed the boat, but it exists. 

Take this site as an example.  We have a community here, placed together by an interest in a team.  But there is a section for personal topics, topics which don't relate to football.  And people spill their guts and disclose the most personal, painful, joyous, or mundane events.  To total strangers.  Every day.  We build opinions of posters, develop reputations, develop friendships even.  For a 22 year old to become enamored with a pretty young girl who says the right things, isn't just believable to me, it's completely plausible.  And lets say Teo in fact "met" her online in October 2011 as Deadspin says.  Then it is a year, not three.  And through communications Teo develops a deepening relationship with "her".  I can't for one second begin to understand how a person wouldn't go to a hospital to see someone they loved who was in a car wreck.  Or was dying from cancer.  I don't begin to get that. 

The issues to me remain, when did it become a three year relationship full of details which Teo knew weren't true, who actually created that timeline, and why did Teo given ample opportunity to correct the record decide not to?  I agree with you that this got so big,was told so many times, that it became real and true to Teo, who actively decided to continue the story.  I don't agree that this is about his sexual orientation. 

I'd bet you and I are in the same demographic.  I too can't wrap my head around how anyone could build a relationship without having a meal together, never going to a movie, never developing any physical relationship (and I'm not talking biblical even, just being with another human being).  But I also know, based partly on having kids in Teo's demographic, and in other professional and personal endeavors, that the world online, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, MMOs, other sims, consume millions of lives, are a multimillion dollar industry.  There is a world today based completely in the digital realm.  There are millions upon millions of people who find the digital reality far more pleasing then the real world.  I don't get it, I missed the boat, but it exists. 

Take this site as an example.  We have a community here, placed together by an interest in a team.  But there is a section for personal topics, topics which don't relate to football.  And people spill their guts and disclose the most personal, painful, joyous, or mundane events.  To total strangers.  Every day.  We build opinions of posters, develop reputations, develop friendships even.  For a 22 year old to become enamored with a pretty young girl who says the right things, isn't just believable to me, it's completely plausible.  And lets say Teo in fact "met" her online in October 2011 as Deadspin says.  Then it is a year, not three.  And through communications Teo develops a deepening relationship with "her".  I can't for one second begin to understand how a person wouldn't go to a hospital to see someone they loved who was in a car wreck.  Or was dying from cancer.  I don't begin to get that. 

The issues to me remain, when did it become a three year relationship full of details which Teo knew weren't true, who actually created that timeline, and why did Teo given ample opportunity to correct the record decide not to?  I agree with you that this got so big,was told so many times, that it became real and true to Teo, who actively decided to continue the story.  I don't agree that this is about his sexual orientation. 

It may not be about sexual orientation, but to me that makes the most sense considering his religious upbringing and his choice of college's. I also agree that there are those that get completely caught up in the online world and make it a reality, but people that do that usually have a history of mental defects and are irrationally lonely. Im not sure Te'o would fit into either of those categories although I'll admit I have no idea what type of person he is. If(and thats a huge if for me) he does fall into one of those categories and somebody was able to deceive him for so long, then this guy needs serious professional help.

I'm sorry but this just doesn't make any sense at all.  Even in this day and age of social media, most people (young or old) simply don't carry through with a predominantly online "relationship" for very long unless it escalates up to a certain point that this one supposedly did not (assuming you believe the narrative being put out there right now).  It doesn't really matter how hot the girl supposedly is, if she's completely inaccessible a 20-something will move on to someone who is accessible sooner than later.  Unless you're someone with no other options (a star football player ALWAYS has other, readily available options) or possess some sort of weird social disfunction, you're not going to stick with someone who is being just plain evasive about escalating the relationship.

This is an incredibly abnormal situation for a guy in Teo's position and what NFL teams discover about it could very well tank his draft stock.  The NFL may tolerate killers, cheaters, and wife beaters in its ranks but you have to make it into the NFL first before that happens.  They are not nearly so generous to prospective NFL players.  Remember Tony Washington?

I'm sorry but this just doesn't make any sense at all. Even in this day and age of social media, most people (young or old) simply don't carry through with a predominantly online "relationship" for very long unless it escalates up to a certain point that this one supposedly did not (assuming you believe the narrative being put out there right now). It doesn't really matter how hot the girl supposedly is, if she's completely inaccessible a 20-something will move on to someone who is accessible sooner than later. Unless you're someone with no other options (a star football player ALWAYS has other, readily available options) or possess some sort of weird social disfunction, you're not going to stick with someone who is being just plain evasive about escalating the relationship.

This is an incredibly abnormal situation for a guy in Teo's position and what NFL teams discover about it could very well tank his draft stock. The NFL may tolerate killers, cheaters, and wife beaters in its ranks but you have to make it into the NFL first before that happens. They are not nearly so generous to prospective NFL players. Remember Tony Washington?

Anther bizarre story. He and his sister had consensual sex.. Weird

Why do we believe the worst in good people and take the word from a website that looking for a story when it really not there?

Tell me what does MT have to gain by telling the world he was made a fool of by a elaborate hoax? For sympathy votes??? Give me a break.

I wouldn't go as far as journalists, I say more like paparazzi's with an IQ and witty questions

Funny you should bring that show up, you hit the nail on the head with "catfish" MTV has the series on every Monday night @10p.   With that being said there are more and more people using the internet for relationships now, more so than ever.  Yet I find it hard to believe that Teo would have had problems meeting and dating women.  Stranger things have happened but unfortunately it sounds suspect.  I hope it isn't because I believe the blunder could cost him alot of money in the NFL

ya... I was actually referencing the movie that the show is based on... but I am familiar w/ the show and its basically the same principle... the morning after I wrote that post the guys on the radio were already saying that Teo got "Catfished"... I'm not sure I buy it, I mean.. the guy is an academic all-american so it seems really weird that he would fall for a stunt like this... I will say, however (and I hesitate to even mention this) that it could possibly be partially explained by the fact that Teo is a devout Mormon... I say this because his religious faith may have made it less important to him that he actually physically spend time with her... also..  (and I don't want to insult anybody) some have noticed that Mormons believe some pretty strange things in the first place, making him an attractive mark for a scam like this and a likely candidate to believe other outlandish things such as "I have leukemia, that's why I missed our date"...

Not matter the outcome this will stick with Manti for the rest of his life/career

Which is why it makes no sense that he'd be apart of it. To hell with deadspin, I'm not even a college football fan, I'm just sick of these Internet trolls getting more credibility than good people or the truth.

Why do we believe the worst in good people and take the word from a website that looking for a story when it really not there?

Tell me what does MT have to gain by telling the world he was made a fool of by a elaborate hoax? For sympathy votes??? Give me a break.

The reason this is such a big story is that no one understands Manti's motivation in this despite the fact that there is some cause to believe that he kept on with the story past the point where he should have had it figured out.

ya... I was actually referencing the movie that the show is based on... but I am familiar w/ the show and its basically the same principle... the morning after I wrote that post the guys on the radio were already saying that Teo got "Catfished"... I'm not sure I buy it, I mean.. the guy is an academic all-american so it seems really weird that he would fall for a stunt like this... I will say, however (and I hesitate to even mention this) that it could possibly be partially explained by the fact that Teo is a devout Mormon... I say this because his religious faith may have made it less important to him that he actually physically spend time with her... also..  (and I don't want to insult anybody) some have noticed that Mormons believe some pretty strange things in the first place, making him an attractive mark for a scam like this and a likely candidate to believe other outlandish things such as "I have leukemia, that's why I missed our date"...

Agreed for the most part.  I will point out, though, that being programmed to believe certain things that others find incredulous from early on in life does not necessarily hinder your ability to detect bullpie later on.  We're just funny creatures that way.

I don't think that this story is fabricated. Could you imagine the career suicide this writer would be doing if he lied about a cover up about one the best football players in the country.

I see what you did there, I wonder if anyone else did.

Wait so they met at a game at Stanford, but they never met?

And he visited her in the hospital, but they never met?

He's lying either way.

He never visited her at the hospital. Again we're taking the word of deadspin over what really happened. What they're suggesting is even stranger than Manti being a victim of a hoax.

He never visited her at the hospital. Again we're taking the word of deadspin over what really happened. What they're suggesting is even stranger than Manti being a victim of a hoax.

Deadspin has a pretty good track record in these kinds of unusual situations.

I agree with the overall point you make.  I am a firm believer in Occam's Razor.  To me, this has nothing to do with sexual preference.  I also don't think this has anything to do with the Heisman.  I would have thought much worse about Teo, would have been convinced he was complicit in this hoax had Notre Dame not made an official statement, held a press conference yesterday.  Notre Dame isn't going to continue a lie.  They wouldn't place their reputation on the line for a player now leaving the school in some attempt to support the privacy of who Teo sleeps with, or to protect his lies, or anything else.  Notre Dame said yesterday that Teo was fully vetted since December, and is a victim. 

I do think Teo got taken for a ride.  I think he first had contact with who he thought was a woman in October of 2011  - as Deadspin showed in their article through Twitter accounts.  What I also think happened, however, is that the story fit Teo, he liked being the guy who overcame adversity, liked the praise, attention, and good will he got as the boyfriend of now deceased young woman.  He may well have always been duped.  But he sure as heck didn't need to expand on the story.  He didn't need to tell his parents about visits to Hawaii he knew never happened.  It became his reality, and he willfully participated in the myth.  Maybe because he wanted the story to be true.  Maybe because he couldn't find his way out once the story was being retold every time he was interviewed, during every game, all the time.  He couldn't minimize the depth and scope of the relationship once certain lies were told.  Lies he told. 

I've read in the press many many times of the Catholic Church (or affiliated organisations) covering up deviant behaviour, so the rep of ND means zilcho.

I've read in the press many many times of the Catholic Church (or affiliated organisations) covering up deviant behaviour, so the rep of ND means zilcho.

Let us not forget the recent rape allegations that got swept under the rug.

Let us not forget the recent rape allegations that got swept under the rug.

It didn't get swept under the rug. I live twenty minutes from campus.I assure you it was investigated. It didn't make espn because it didn't turn up any juicy story. It was on local tv ad nauseum. If nd didn't investigate along with local law enforcement that would have been in espn. The tommy Reese story was on espn the next morning

If it was a hoax on Te'o it was a pretty elaborate one seeing as how he had been in "contact" with her since 2009. That seems a little extreme to be a joke.

Ever see Catfish? I can see some 20 something losers getting their kicks doing this, becoming like a hobby to them.

Seems just as or more extreme to do this for a few sympathy votes.

I just figured he was gay and was ashamed of it ..... its 2013 he need to get over that....

Wait....what's all this talk about him being gay? I haven't been following this story closely so.....haven't heard that and I know nothing about him.