Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Collie to be ready for opener

CS Colts Fan

pretty sure he would have dropped it if he got rocked

Welker's advantage is that he gets down real fast and he is short enough, so it is hard to get a good hit on him while he is upright. My gut tells me that the odds were high Welker makes the catch, gets down fast and takes one to the shoulder by the time the defender dishes out the brunt of the hit.

Welker's advantage is that he gets down real fast and he is short enough, so it is hard to get a good hit on him while he is upright. My gut tells me that the odds were high Welker makes the catch, gets down fast and takes one to the shoulder by the time the defender dishes out the brunt of the hit.

guess we'll never know

Every Colts Fan has feared Welker one time or another. Admit it. Those quick moves, knowing the ball was going to him but we couldnt stop it. Everytime you thought we laid a Go Sit Down Hit on him he would get right back up. Luck needs a Sure Thing WR. And now that New England has obviously forgot who made that offense scary now that they have Gronk and Hernandez. But Welker's value to New England wont truly show until the TE's go down. Welker is the the perfect fit and last piece to a playoff WR corp. for the colts. He is a proven guy that could cause some problems for defensive matchups if Mr. Collie can stay healthy.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, August 27, 2012 - racial baiting???
Hidden by Superman, August 27, 2012 - racial baiting???

Lets all be mature adults here. I am no racist and I dont want to start a racist war. Im a black guy that loves football and I just thought of something. Im all about the Best players taking the field for us on Sundays. White , Black , Brown , Green , or Blue it does not matter as long as we get the W. But im a big fan of Collie , Whalen , Welker , (hint hint ) And Reggie has lost a step and I think he can be beat out of his job. All im saying is white might be right. They got skills and you cant ignore it. would it be history ? Besides the old days when they wore leather helmets and Stacy Adams cleats..lol

Decker for Wayne ??

Not after this season. Heck, with Tebow in the line up, Decker managed to get 8 TDs though only 2 or 3 were from Tebow.

I can only imagine how many he will snag with Peyton as QB. You can forget about Decker for Wayne, Decker is younger with more upside on the consistency and longevity side.

Not after this season. Heck, with Tebow in the line up, Decker managed to get 8 TDs though only 2 or 3 were from Tebow.

I can only imagine how many he will snag with Peyton as QB. You can forget about Decker for Wayne, Decker is younger with more upside on the consistency and longevity side.

Yup. I'd trade Wayne for Decker right now, if not for the emotional ties to Wayne. It's a really big deal to me that he stayed with the Colts. But yeah, I'd rather have Decker moving forward.

I'm scared for collie. I'd like to see what he can do on the outside and put Ty Hilton in the middle. Collie needs to stay healthy and every time he gets hit hard I get a little worried he will mess up his head. I think we should give him a whole year of he's any good, on the outside. Let his head heal for a full two years. Then see him in the middle again.

I never doubted that he would be ready week 1. My concern now is that he will be ready week 1, out weeks 2-4, ready week 5, out weeks 6-10, etc. My opinion is that any hit that jars his head will result in further concussions and missed playing time, and as much as he plays in the slot, he is bound to take some more hits. Time will tell.

As was pointed out to me in another thread, Collie was not playing from the slot this last hit. Even outside receivers run routes that cross the middle of the field, and leave them exposed to big hits. Just saying...

The NFL should make the Steelers player (Foote) miss the same # of games as Collie.

That forearm to the head was intentional.

The NFL wants it both ways...... hypocrites!

If you knock a player out with an aggregious hit.... you sit out the same # of games.

That would work but the NFL would never consider it. Let alone the players union would freak out.

These days there is now a concussion protocol. All players are given so-called 'baseline' tests...

Mental tests and the information is recorded.

When they suffer a concussion, before they're cleared by doctors they have to pass another baseline test and score at least as good as they originally did if not better. Otherwise, the doctors don't clear them.

At least, that's my understanding of how it works.

These days there is now a concussion protocol. All players are given so-called 'baseline' tests...

Mental tests and the information is recorded.

When they suffer a concussion, before they're cleared by doctors they have to pass another baseline test and score at least as good as they originally did if not better. Otherwise, the doctors don't clear them.

At least, that's my understanding of how it works.

That's my understanding too, and I think I recall hearing quotes from a number of players (including PM if I recall) saying they threw the baseline test intentionally.

He better not rush to get back to football. Another concussion and his career is over.

I rather see him wait a couple more weeks and be 100% ready to go, then rush it.

Let's see what happens.

well he was back with the colts the next day saying he felt good. maybe it wasnt as serious as it looked

The NFL should make the Steelers player (Foote) miss the same # of games as Collie.

That forearm to the head was intentional.

The NFL wants it both ways...... hypocrites!

If you knock a player out with an aggregious hit.... you sit out the same # of games.

That would work but the NFL would never consider it. Let alone the players union would freak out.

The NFL did not find it a illegal hit so why should he miss games? Honestly, the hit Collie took was pretty much your average hit in the NFL. It was not that bad of a hit and probably because Collie has suffered so many concussions in such a short time that he is just more susceptible to them now. I would not be surprised if he takes another lighter hit and suffers another one.

I really hope Collie understand the potential consequences he could be facing in the near future if he continue to takes these hits to the head. I am sure the doctors have made it very clear to him.

I hope he can play because he is dynamic weapon out there, but I think the Colts next season need to look at bringing in another WR because we just cannot rely on Collie long term.

The NFL did not find it a illegal hit so why should he miss games? Honestly, the hit Collie took was pretty much your average hit in the NFL. It was not that bad of a hit and probably because Collie has suffered so many concussions in such a short time that he is just more susceptible to them now. I would not be surprised if he takes another lighter hit and suffers another one.

Botton line...any hit to the head, especially one to a player that has a history of concussions, was/is deliberate.

I really hope Collie understand the potential consequences he could be facing in the near future if he continue to takes these hits to the head. I am sure the doctors have made it very clear to him.

I hope he can play because he is dynamic weapon out there, but I think the Colts next season need to look at bringing in another WR because we just cannot rely on Collie long term.

No, I think the hit was illegal. Maybe not dirty or even intentional; I don't think Foote decided he wanted to hit Collie in the head. But he clearly did, and it was unnecessary. If you hit a quarterback in the head like that, it's roughing the passer. If you hit a defenseless receiver like that (and Collie was defenseless according to the definition of the rule), it should be a personal foul penalty. I don't care whether he gets fined or not; it's not my money. But the forearm shiver was definitely unnecessary, especially since Collie had already been hit and was on his way down.

No, I think the hit was illegal. Maybe not dirty or even intentional; I don't think Foote decided he wanted to hit Collie in the head. But he clearly did, and it was unnecessary. If you hit a quarterback in the head like that, it's roughing the passer. If you hit a defenseless receiver like that (and Collie was defenseless according to the definition of the rule), it should be a personal foul penalty. I don't care whether he gets fined or not; it's not my money. But the forearm shiver was definitely unnecessary, especially since Collie had already been hit and was on his way down.

I re-watched the hit and I can see the forearm, but it defiantly was not dirty nor intentional. He should have been flagged, but to suggest that he should be suspended the same amount of games Collie misses is just crazy.

Interesting article here about the Simpson helmet that I thought Collie was wearing. Turns out he isn't wearing it anymore, or at least wasn't wearing it when he got hit by Larry Foote.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/will_carroll/08/29/simpson-ganassi-helmet/index.html?xid=cnnbin

Simpson worked with Collie and others, including All-Pro Jeff Saturday, during the offseason and by 2011 had a working design. Getting hard figures and names is difficult -- "I don't want to get into the politics," Simpson says -- but estimating that around 20 players wore the helmet for the bulk of last year is "fair." Some wore it all season, while others like Troy Polamalu did not wear it in games. One fact is clear -- not one of the players that wore Simpson's helmets suffered a concussion.

It wasn't entirely successful. Simpson helmets were off many of those players by the end of the season, with complaints about the padding getting "soggy and smelly" being heard. Even Collie switched back to his previous helmet. When he suffered another concussion this preseason, he wasn't wearing a Simpson.

I wonder if the NFL or Riddell have anything to do with that. I was under the impression that Collie was wearing the new helmet this whole time.