Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New O-Line Thoughts

ztboiler

Well, maybe not new. This isn't an original thought, but it has been a few months since I've heard anyone bring it up. I really like him at left guard, but how about giving Joe Reitz a look at RT? He looks more like a tackle than a guard and has good feet. If, by chance, he shines as a tackle, then it might open up our options some on how we approach improving the line over time. Many have already suggested moving Justice to guard. I'm in the camp that would like to see more of Justice at RT, and the coaches certainly still seem to, but I'm also not sold that it is a good fit yet either. If Reitz is a better edge protector (TBD), then it would seem like we'd move ahead faster and have more options to plug holes at guard.

We need to work something out before Week 1. I was watching Bears v Skins and pressure from the Bears D was ridiculous. Griffin was hurried every play and, as a rookie, wasn't composed enough to deal with it and really struggled. I don't want to see Luck under the same pressure.

I am surprised at the lack of time being given by fans for Castanzo. Not complaining, just haven't seen the kind of play that makes me think he is a failure. He is a young olineman that has been in a situation since he was drafted that has hardly been ideal for a young LT. He often times will face the best player on a Dline on Sunday. After he has been a part of a consistent online for a year, and doesn't improve, then I personally would start to think of options. Too soon.

For what it's worth, Costanzo was a left tackle in college and I think played the position pretty well for the Colts in his rookie season last year.

12 games, many with a bad high ankle sprain and ZERO holding calls. Don't know how many sacks or hurries he gave up, but a rookie, he doesn't sound too bad.

And for what it's worth, I've read stories on-line of Pagano heaping praise on Castonzo.... so, I'm hopeful we already have our LT. If we can find a better one and move AC over to RT, then fine. But great LT's are not easy to find, so we may already have ours.

Just offering another perspective....

I am surprised at the lack of time being given by fans for Castanzo. Not complaining, just haven't seen the kind of play that makes me think he is a failure. He is a young olineman that has been in a situation since he was drafted that has hardly been ideal for a young LT. He often times will face the best player on a Dline on Sunday. After he has been a part of a consistent online for a year, and doesn't improve, then I personally would start to think of options. Too soon.

Yeah I don't get it either. I love the guy. I think he's going to make some Pro-Bowls and play at least 12 years in this league. Not sure why people want him at RT. Moving from LT to RT would mess with your muscle memory. If you're used to shuffling to the left, then all of a sudden you have to shuffle right, I just think a lot of people would have trouble with the transition. Keep him at his spot, and either draft a RT or find one in free agency. It's not like playing RT would be that much easier anyway. Most teams have 2 pass rushers.

I totally agree, somebody else in another thread had said they thought this was a make or break year for Castonzo. I thought that was absolutely ridiculous. The guy is just getting ready to start his second season and didn't play all of last season due to injury. I think people are so quick to over react to everything.

I'm one of those people who question Anthony Castonzo's skills. To me he hasn't played to his full ability. When your suppose to be the number one top prospect at your position you should perform like it. He is consistently getting beat, missing blocks or assignments. He doesn't finish through with his blocking as well. Granted this is his second year and he is still young. I don't care though I expect the very best from our players. I'll do the same for Luck if he doesn't live up to his own expectations.

I'm one of those people who question Anthony Castonzo's skills. To me he hasn't played to his full ability. When your suppose to be the number one top prospect at your position you should perform like it. He is consistently getting beat, missing blocks or assignments. He doesn't finish through with his blocking as well. Granted this is his second year and he is still young. I don't care though I expect the very best from our players. I'll do the same for Luck if he doesn't live up to his own expectations.

i agree