Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck will have better season than Manning............

WoolMagnet

Did anyone else see this on NFL AM on nfl network this morning?

They mainly talked about "arm strength" being the reason.

Many just don't think Manning will last the season I guess.

Also, "better" is a relative term.

Luck only needs to have a "good" season, while Manning is expected to lead the broncos to the Super bowl.

I think It is hilarious to compare them at this point, but I guess its been a slow news day.

haha

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've actually been saying this for about 2 weeks now. I really do believe Luck has a good shot at having a better year than Manning. Luck just seems to get it and looks like a veteran out there. Plus he has better arm strength than Manning at this point and is the much better athlete.

I agree with them, Luck could very well have a better season statistically than peyton... its not unlikely thats for sure. Look at the season Cam Newton had last year and he isnt even a precision QB like Luck racking up 4,000+yds.

So yea i think its quite possible as well

Peyton's arm strength has decreased. If you watched that Broncos vs Bears game.... a few of those passes were "Slow". Even the commentators pointed out that the "Zip" Peyton usually puts on a ball wasn't there. Maybe it was because it was his 1st game after so long, maybe it wasn't

But as far as Luck doing better than Peyton, I don't see that happening. I've been wrong before though

Our O Line would have to hold, Our Corners would have you know.....make an interception on occasion, our Linebackers would have to be consistent with getting pressure as for the Broncos like I said a while ago I could just as easily see them going 5-11 as I can 11-5 either way both teams will be watching the Super Bowl from there coach this year at least

Peyton's arm strength has decreased. If you watched that Broncos vs Bears game.... a few of those passes were "Slow". Even the commentators pointed out that the "Zip" Peyton usually puts on a ball wasn't there. Maybe it was because it was his 1st game after so long, maybe it wasn't

it's all about putting the right touch on it. If a guy is open like decker was on the left side, you don't throw with a lot of velocity. That makes it liker the pass will be inaccurate or harder to catch. Just because you can throw 100 mph (an exaggeration) doesnt mean you always should. sometimes the best pass in a situation can be at say 60 mph.

It's not impossible. The AFC is not going to be as tough in to shine. Manning/Brady are starting to look old to me at times too.....

IN the NFC thats a different story, too many top QBs in their primes there.

Luck is the real deal. He could very well do better sooner then expected.

it's all about putting the right touch on it. If a guy is open like decker was on the left side, you don't throw with a lot of velocity. That makes it liker the pass will be inaccurate or harder to catch. Just because you can throw 100 mph (an exaggeration) doesnt mean you always should. sometimes the best pass in a situation can be at say 60 mph.

Idk, maybe it was just me seeing it. But when he was here in Indy hitting Wayne on that route, he use to have it to where a CB would be scared to jump between it

Our O Line would have to hold, Our Corners would have you know.....make an interception on occasion, our Linebackers would have to be consistent with getting pressure as for the Broncos liek I said a while ago I could just as easily see them going 5-11 as I can 11-5 either way both teams will be watching the Super Bowl from there coach this year at least

This is true. The o line might be the key to all of this soon. Luck is a mobile young man though....and strong/athletic. He can take some hits and he can avoid a lot of hits. But at the same time I don't want him to take TOO many hits.

While this is true, Manning's passes just were not the same. A couple of passes were just flat out wobbly. He still put the ball where it needed to be but right now, I don't think he has the velocity needed to go deep. With that said, he very well could still be building up arm strength. Like I said in another thread, right now its ok that he may still be getting stronger, but if he is still throwing wobbly passes come mid season, I would be worried if I was a Bronco's fan.

Did anyone else see this on NFL AM on nfl network this morning?

They mainly talked about "arm strength" being the reason.

Many just don't think Manning will last the season I guess.

Also, "better" is a relative term.

Luck only needs to have a "good" season, while Manning is expected to lead the broncos to the Super bowl.

I think It is hilarious to compare them at this point, but I guess its been a slow news day.

haha

Luck no doubt will have a better season than Peyton Manning.

Alot of people seem to forget/don't want to admit that Manning is A) on the wrong side of his 30's, B) coming off of 4 neck surgeries and C) hasn't played a real NFL game since January of 2011.

People act as if though he will just pick up right where he left off 19 months ago. It ain't gonna happen.

People act as if though he will just pick up right where he left off 19 months ago. It ain't gonna happen.

I tend to agree. I think he still has a few yrs. left in him at a higher than average level of play, but I don't think he will be MVP level.

Luck no doubt will have a better season than Peyton Manning.

Alot of people seem to forget/don't want to admit that Manning is A) on the wrong side of his 30's, B) coming off of 4 neck surgeries and C) hasn't played a real NFL game since January of 2011.

Be careful...anything short of blind faith will get you in trouble around here.

I kinda remember him taking quite some time to come back from the knee surgery and be like the Peyton of old, let alone being on the shelf much longer now than he was then. Now I'm going to hide under this chair so I can duck the ire I'll prob receive from this. :hide:

Be careful...anything short of blind faith will get you in trouble around here.

I kinda remember him taking quite some time to come back from the knee surgery and be like the Peyton of old, let alone being on the shelf much longer now than he was then. Now I'm going to hide under this chair so I can duck the ire I'll prob receive from this. :hide:

All he did was win the MVP that season. Sat out all of training camp and preseason, and still had a fine year.

This is not the same. He's older. The situation is more serious. He just missed an entire year. The reasons for concern are numerous. But there's nothing that suggests that he can't come back and play effectively. And as a vet who has won four MVPs, I tend to think he has a leg up on a rookie quarterback, even with the question marks about his health and arm strength.

I don't know who will have the better year, nor do I care. I'm at peace with the decision that was made. But it's not blind faith to believe that Manning can still play at an MVP level.

While this is true, Manning's passes just were not the same. A couple of passes were just flat out wobbly. He still put the ball where it needed to be but right now, I don't think he has the velocity needed to go deep. With that said, he very well could still be building up arm strength. Like I said in another thread, right now its ok that he may still be getting stronger, but if he is still throwing wobbly passes come mid season, I would be worried if I was a Bronco's fan.

lol. Manning always throws wobbly balls. Accurate Wobbly balls are his trademark. In his prime that's what most of his td passes were. Again, the wobble has to do with touch. I honestly dont know how he does it, but he is able to make it so that wobbly ball is where it should and needs to be.

lol. Manning always throws wobbly balls. Accurate Wobbly balls are his trademark. In his prime that's what most of his td passes were. Again, the wobble has to do with touch. I honestly dont know how he does it, but he is able to make it so that wobbly ball is where it should and needs to be.

Marino was and his brother is the same way.

Some don't understand that. By those standards. Chris Leak & Heath Shuler should be all time greats.. They always had tight spirals.

Marino was and his brother is the same way.

Some don't understand that. By those standards. Chris Leak & Heath Shuler should be all time greats.. They always had tight spirals.

Chris Leak would have made it in the NFL. That Gator had the tightest spiral out there, but then we had to watch Tebow.

Thank you for making me picture Peyton's wobbly balls.

FWIW, Manning is playing outdoors in Denver, so Luck has an edge right off the bat if we're just comparing stats.

Manning not being able to play well outdoors is a myth......He has better numbers indoors because that's where he played most of his games. At least half his games were indoors because he played in a dome. Therefore, if most of those indoor games were at home, and qbs almost always perform better at home, he would have better numbers than in outdoor games which would be on the road. His numbers in outdoor games are not bad, they are just not as good as his phenomenal numbers indoors (which were mostly home games).

Manning not being able to play well outdoors is a myth......He has better numbers indoors because that's where he played most of his games. At least half his games were indoors because he played in a dome. Therefore, if most of those indoor games were at home, and qbs almost always perform better at home, he would have better numbers than in outdoor games which would be on the road. His numbers in outdoor games are not bad, they are just not as good as his phenomenal numbers indoors (which were mostly home games).

I didn't say "Manning can't play outdoors." Almost all QBs play about 10 QB rating points better indoors than they do outdoors, Manning included. Same with Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Romo, Eli, and Roethlisberger, and with the exception of Brees and Romo those are all QBs who play outdoors at home. Only exception I found looking up QBs here was Rivers, and his indoor stats is a pretty small sample size. So, no, Manning's rating outdoors probably wouldn't be higher if he played outdoors at home.

EDIT: Also holds true for McNabb, Palmer, Favre.

Hasselbeck is a bit of an anomaly in that he's only 4 or so points better indoors than outdoors, rather than the usual 8-12. Same with McNair at only about 2.5 points better indoors.

I've actually been saying this for about 2 weeks now. I really do believe Luck has a good shot at having a better year than Manning. Luck just seems to get it and looks like a veteran out there. Plus he has better arm strength than Manning at this point and is the much better athlete.

Peyton thru 17 Int`s in 2010. Completed 44% of his passes beyond 11 yards.

His arm is worse now, trouble throwing to his left, and think of all the outdoor games.

The Colts have the better QB starting Game 1. JMO

Uh, you debunked yourself. :clap:

Uh, you debunked yourself. :clap:

lol no i didnt. Manning's numbers outdoors are not bad. they are good just not as good as his numbers indoors because many of those are home games. therefore, one would look for manning to have better numbers outdoors than indoors this year because that's where his homegames are. There are exceptions to this, but traditionally qbs perform better wherever their homefield is.

lol no i didnt. Manning's numbers outdoors are not bad. they are good just not as good as his numbers indoors because many of those are home games. therefore, one would look for manning to have better numbers outdoors than indoors this year because that's where his homegames are. There are exceptions to this, but traditionally qbs perform better wherever their homefield is.

Read my above post, what you're saying is flat-out not true. QBs who play outdoors at home STILL almost always play substantially better indoors.

Oh, there's one major exception with Mike Vick, but he's a much better passer now in Philly (outdoors) than he was back in Atlanta (indoors), and a harder worker, which is why his outdoor stats are significantly better.

Here's some others where it does hold true: Charlie Batch, Jason Campbell, David Carr, Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco, David Garrard.

Grossman, Leftwich, and Edwards are about even outside and inside, all with pretty small sample sets inside. Cassel is better outside, also small sample set.

I didn't say "Manning can't play outdoors." Almost all QBs play about 10 QB rating points better indoors than they do outdoors, Manning included. Same with Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Romo, Eli, and Roethlisberger, and with the exception of Brees and Romo those are all QBs who play outdoors at home. Only exception I found looking up QBs here was Rivers, and his indoor stats is a pretty small sample size. So, no, Manning's rating outdoors probably wouldn't be higher if he played outdoors at home.

EDIT: Also holds true for McNabb, Palmer, Favre.

Hasselbeck is a bit of an anomaly in that he's only 4 or so points better indoors than outdoors, rather than the usual 8-12. Same with McNair at only about 2.5 points better indoors.

This is just not true. an actual source with the stats to back it up would go a l ong way to supporting your point. Just looking at two of the qbs you mentioned who play outdoors, brady and rodgers have much better home numbers than road numbers. those home numbers are all outdoor numbers.