Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew luck and pocket awareness

Everyone is saying it was just the rams. And I understand they were second worst team last year. But we were the first worse team. Pressure is pressure and I thought luck had outstanding pocket awareness. It's his first game and if your not impressed its not because of him.

Edited by Nadine
personal shot

I do believe Luck will have less INTs in his career because of his ability to scramble and/or throw the ball away. He does not seem the kind of player who will take too many risks.

The thing I was most impressed about is him not holding the ball too long and playing at a pace like a 3rd year QB in the league, he was at ease with the speed of the NFL. QBs that do not get used to it fast enough end up producing more fumbles. Even when he ran and was short of the first down, he slid down so that we could punt and fight later in the game. Some rookie QBs might be too eager to show what they can do and may fight for extra yardage and could have a costly turnover.

When Arians said this guy was a fast learner, no kidding, he was spot on!!!

Luck's pocket awareness and his ability to 'feel' pressure around him are some of his better qualities.... he had them at Stanford. It will make his OL look much better than they are.

That said.... the speed of the NFL game is SO much faster than anything Luck has experienced. So, he'll have moments where he won't look as good as we'd all like. Every rookie does. So, prepare yourself that those moments will come.

There just won't be as many of them as their will be with other young QB's. That's the beauty of Luck.

More 'right' decisions. Fewer 'bonehead' plays. Like a certain other Colt's quarterback that is beloved around here.....

Hey, just sayin....

Not saying they're the same.... just similar....

Again, just sayin....

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 16, 2012 - response to edited post
Hidden by Nadine, August 16, 2012 - response to edited post

Everyone is saying it was just the rams. And I understand they were second worst team last year. But we were the first worse team. Pressure is pressure and I thought luck had outstanding pocket awareness. It's his first game and if your not impressed its not because of him. Your just bein dumb.

Yo, you gotta change that "Just being Dumb" part. I don't think the Admins will let that Fly. Use a more "appropriate" choice of Words

I do believe Luck will have less INTs in his career because of his ability to scramble and/or throw the ball away. He does not seem the kind of player who will take too many risks.

The thing I was most impressed about is him not holding the ball too long and playing at a pace like a 3rd year QB in the league, he was at ease with the speed of the NFL. QBs that do not get used to it fast enough end up producing more fumbles. Even when he ran and was short of the first down, he slid down so that we could punt and fight later in the game. Some rookie QBs might be too eager to show what they can do and may fight for extra yardage and could have a costly turnover.

When Arians said this guy was a fast learner, no kidding, he was spot on!!!

No panic. He did get flushed and threw a high one to Reggie on the second drive, but the two times he got flushed from the pocket after that, he either hit his receiver or threw it away. Counting the throw to Reggie, that's really one bad decision in 17 called pass plays (including the scramble on 3rd and long). And he learned quickly from that one.

Just to compare: The Bears offensive line was horrible a couple seasons ago, but Jay Cutler was holding the ball too long. The Packers line was bad in Rodgers first two years, but he was holding the ball too long, panicking, and scrambling right into pressure. There's been plenty of talk about Blaine Gabbert freezing up in the face of pressure. This is a problem with young, inexperienced quarterbacks. But Luck seemed to get the picture right away.

Another young quarterback who made that adjustment quickly is Jake Locker. In the few games he played in last season, he did a really good job handling pressure, making quick decisions, and using his mobility effectively rather than panicking and making the situation worse. Locker still has some issues with his throwing mechanics, but his footwork is advanced for a rookie quarterback. He's the only other guy that I think should have been drafted in the first round last year, outside of Cam Newton.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 16, 2012 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, August 16, 2012 - personal shot

Everyone is saying it was just the rams. And I understand they were second worst team last year. But we were the first worse team. Pressure is pressure and I thought luck had outstanding pocket awareness. It's his first game and if your not impressed its not because of him. Your just bein dumb.

Calls people dumb

Uses "your" wrong twice

Uses "worse" wrong

Spells "being" wrong

Everyone is saying it was just the rams. And I understand they were second worst team last year. But we were the first worse team. Pressure is pressure and I thought luck had outstanding pocket awareness. It's his first game and if your not impressed its not because of him.

It was VERY good IMO, but the true test will start in week1 when teams will do defensive schemes to confuse him. I suspect he like even P Mannin will have growing pains but in the end will be just fine.