Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Word on Colts Mike Jenkins offer

HtownColt

I have always had my doubts that the colts had offered a 3rd AND a fourth rounder for Jenkins(I never seen the article stating that I just heard people here saying that). So I was doing my daily browsing on the colts and found this that according to Dallas media and analyst the Colts in fact was rumored offering a LATE ROUND PICK AND A BACKUP PLAYER.

"Reports from both Indianapolis and Dallas say the Colts aren’t backing down regarding a trade for Jenkins. While the details of the Colts’ trade offers to the Cowboys aren’t known, it’s rumored they were in the ballpark of a late-round draft pick and a backup player. Dallas media and analysts scoffed at that, but the Colts area obviously more serious about this than once thought."

http://www.rantsports.com/dallas-cowboys/2012/06/05/dallas-cowboys-should-keep-indianapolis-colts-on-ropes-regarding-mike-jenkins-trades/

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See I knew something wasnt correct because I never believed that 3rd and a 4th round pick stuff it just wasn't logical these rumors from Dallas media and analyst sound about right now about that back up player who knows who that was..

I have always had my doubts that the colts had offered a 3rd AND a fourth rounder for Jenkins(I never seen the article stating that I just heard people here saying that). So I was doing my daily browsing on the colts and found this that according to Dallas media and analyst the Colts in fact was rumored offering a LATE ROUND PICK AND A BACKUP PLAYER.

"Reports from both Indianapolis and Dallas say the Colts aren’t backing down regarding a trade for Jenkins. While the details of the Colts’ trade offers to the Cowboys aren’t known, it’s rumored they were in the ballpark of a late-round draft pick and a backup player. Dallas media and analysts scoffed at that, but the Colts area obviously more serious about this than once thought."

http://www.rantsport...jenkins-trades/

This media report does not add up to me.

First, the reporter states the Colts have made repeated offers to the Cowboys, but only says that one was a late round pick plus a back-up offer. Have the Colts offered the same thing on three different occasions only to be told 'no' each time? Or have the Colts' offers gotten progressively better?

Second, the reporter then says the Colts are more serious about this than once thought. What? Huh? When have we ever NOT been considered the most serious team regarding Jenkins. Every story I've seen linked here mentions us as the most serious.

Third, the earlier reports from when this story first broke was that those within the NFL thoughts the Colts made a serious offer that most teams would accept. Would most team accept a late round pick plus a back-up player? That's what this story would have you believe. Why would this latest report be considered more credible than earlier reports? Do we know this reporter is better than others? (Not saying he's not, I'm asking.)

I don't think it's a well written report. It doesn't cite any sources, even un-named sources. And, for me at least, it raises more questions than it answers. Look, there may still be enough smoke to safely say there's a fire somewhere out there. I just don't know that any report has lots more credibility than some of the other reports. They **may** as it turns out. But, so far, nothing seems overly credible.... at least not yet.

That's my view as a one-time 30-year member of the media.... (To be clear, I am NOT knocking the poster who linked the story. Not at all. I want more links like that, not less. I'm just offering some perspective to add some context. That's all.)

NewColtsFan

I don't think it's a well written report. It doesn't cite any sources, even un-named sources. And, for me at least, it raises more questions than it answers. Look, there may still be enough smoke to safely say there's a fire somewhere out there. I just don't know that any report has lots more credibility than some of the other reports. They **may** as it turns out. But, so far, nothing seems overly credible.... at least not yet.

That's my view as a one-time 30-year member of the media....

Most reports aren't well-written, and there's tons of rumors and speculation passed off as "reports" and "sourced comments" in sports "reporting," given how easy it is to start a blog or make waves on Twitter. I'm sure you notice this as a former media member. It would be sickening if I didn't have a sense of humor.

First, the reporter states the Colts have made repeated offers to the Cowboys, but only says that one was a late round pick plus a back-up offer. Have the Colts offered the same thing on three different occasions only to be told 'no' each time? Or have the Colts' offers gotten progressively better?

Second, the reporter then says the Colts are more serious about this than once thought. What? Huh? When have we ever NOT been considered the most serious team regarding Jenkins. Every story I've seen linked here mentions us as the most serious.

Third, the earlier reports from when this story first broke was that those within the NFL thoughts the Colts made a serious offer that most teams would accept. Would most team accept a late round pick plus a back-up player? That's what this story would have you believe. Why would this latest report be considered more credible than earlier reports? Do we know this reporter is better than others? (Not saying he's not, I'm asking.)

That's my view as a one-time 30-year member of the media.... (To be clear, I am NOT knocking the poster who linked the story. Not at all. I want more links like that, not less. I'm just offering some perspective to add some context. That's all.)

NewColtsFan

The Dallas media wouldn't put it out there if it wasn't some kind of truth to it. I have yet to see the article about the offer of the 3rd and 4th rounder together. The Colts or Cowboys confirmed any of the rumors that's why they call them rumors. And on the multiple offers this was probably the last/best offer on the table. And for a disgruntled player that's going to leave for free if he isn't traded yea most teams would find this trade compelling considering the backup player that is offered. Better get something for him while you can or let him walk free at the end of the season. That's not a hard decision to make Jerry Jones is just buying his time to see if we will flinch and up the late draft pick up a little bit because his trade value will go up a little once he is cleared and back on the field soon.

Even Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas said something along the lines of the samething not exactly the same but he did say that teams would have found the colts offer compelling and he says what would you call compelling a 4th? 5? Or 6th round pick? Here is the Calvin Watkins link

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4693034/cowboys-will-not-trade-mike-jenkins-and-heres-why

Colts: we want to trade for Jenkins.

Cowboys: no not interested.

Colts: common we know your gonna just use him as your nickel, we will give you *this and that*

Cowboys: look we're not interested , no.

Colts: what will it take to get you in this car today?

The Dallas media wouldn't put it out there if it wasn't some kind of truth to it.

Even Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas said something along the lines of the samething not exactly the same but he did say that teams would have found the colts offer compelling and he says what would you call compelling a 4th? 5? Or 6th round pick? Here is the Calvin Watkins link

http://espn.go.com/b...s-and-heres-why

Several thoughts.... saying that the media wouldn't put it out there unless there's some type of truth is almost the equal as saying the Grand Canyon is a big hole. In short, yeah.... there's almost always some type of truth.... all I'm trying to say is I wouldn't get too worked up over reports that say we're still after Jenkins and we're pressing the issue, etc. etc.

And, thanks for the Watkins link. Good stuff. I think he makes a compelling case as to why the Cowboys don't trade Jenkins. And it could come down to Dallas waiting until the recently pushed back trade deadline. By then, they'll have a better feel for how they're doing, both their record, as well as the performance of their secondary. Can they afford to trade Jenkins half-way through the season. And by then, they're likely to get their best offer should they decide to do a deal.

So, here it is, early June, and we're talking about a trade that might not happen until late October, and by then, it might not be a trade with the Colts....

Just thinking out loud here... that's all...

NCF

would you guys be ok with trading collie and a 4th for jenkins and a 5th

Oh heck no. Trade a team player for a potential malcontent, not to mention a very good team player. WR>CB in our situation, Collie is 1 of 2 proven WRs on the team. We would fill 1 hole by digging another 1.

This has been one of those situations all along where I was not upset if we got him and not upset if we didn't get him.

But, now I am starting to want him since it is sounding like the Colts want him so badly. lmao Cough him up Cowboys.

NewColtsFan

no the late round pick and back up player was the latest trade offer they made to dallas. i read on bleacher report that its a offer the colts and other teams feel is right for Jenkins. but none of this matters if JJ doesnt want to trade Jenkins. Jenkins could sit out the whole year and not play and jones still wont trade him. in my eyes its stupid. if i was JJ i would trade him and get what i can for him because come off season time he wont get crap for him as he will walk away and sign with someone. he has already made it clear he dont want to play for dallas anymore. Take a 6th rounder and Jerry Hughes for him and be happy is what i say to do lol

What position is the cowboys weakest in that we could possibly offer them a backup for?

A safety, interior offensive lineman, another tight end to replace Bennett, and a WR, they drafted Tyrone Crawford to play DE so they adressed that already