Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harbaugh says 49ers did not pursue Peyton Manning

Jules

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Chris Mortensen@mortreport

Filed to ESPN: Third team in Manning race that has emerged is 49ers - Manning worked out for Harbaugh & took physical this week #NFL32

March 16, Harbaugh was drooling all over himself at the thought of PM playing under him as a coach... he ain't fooling no one!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Chris Mortensen@mortreport

Filed to ESPN: Third team in Manning race that has emerged is 49ers - Manning worked out for Harbaugh & took physical this week #NFL32

March 16, Harbaugh was drooling all over himself at the thought of PM playing under him as a coach... he ain't fooling no one!

What that says is he was doing his do diligence, of course they were interested in looking at Peyton but ever thought when Manning worked out for him that he wasn't no where near in as good a shape as he is now? whether he's is lying or not I dont see it that funny or that some have to be so hard on him

What that says is he was doing his do diligence, of course they were interested in looking at Peyton but ever thought when Manning worked out for him that he wasn't no where near in as good a shape as he is now? whether he's is lying or not I dont see it that funny or that some have to be so hard on him

I don't think he is being honest and I think He and the 49ers were legitimately interested in getting PM on their roster... so why go back on that now? probably to boost Smith and the team as a whole, but really they could do that without spinning the truth.. just my opinion is all...

I don't think he is being honest and I think He and the 49ers were legitimately interested in getting PM on their roster... so why go back on that now? probably to boost Smith and the team as a whole, but really they could do that without spinning the truth.. just my opinion is all...

I agree but it also could be Manning failed that physical at the time or wasn't up to snuff at that particular time, now Alex also has to understand it was Peyton Manning also regardless of what Harbaugh said now

I believe the 49ers were interested, not so sure about Harbaugh though! He may have been told or advised to pursue Peyton!

This could be true as well. Harbaugh might have been told by TPTB at the Niners to check out Manning and show interest.

I always personally found it a bit strange. Since day 1 when Harbs got there he had been vocal about Smith being his guy. He has been vocal about stats not showing everything a QB can do too at times when he sticks up for Smith. I used to wonder if he turned his back on Smith with the Manning romancing or what since he never struck me as that type of guy.

Smith might not be one of my choices for QB either but I don't think he was as bad as some made it out to be last year but he was in comparison to several top QBs at times in the NFC. He was balling vs. the Saints in the playoffs. Giants were much tougher but they are also a much tougher matchup too with their pass rush. The Niners o line has more issues with pass protection at times. Special teams were the main reason they missed out on the SB.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion hawkeyes.

If the management in San Francisco was "Happy" with Alex Smith's performance at QB, why even bring Manning into the facility at all? Answer: Either the team owner or the coaching staff wants to see significant improvement at the field general helm that Smith didn't exhibit enough on a consistent basis.

True, there is some uncertainty about the magnitude of Peyton's full recovery I will admit, but you don't bring in a SB winning, 4 time MVP just for a nice field trip & complementary beverage okay. Harbaugh is blowing smoke up his own backside if he really thinks anyone buys that foolish damage control statement. I don't buy a word of it. Snake oil will always be snake oil in my book.

Lol not only evaluating they made an offer,it just wasnt enough to sway PM,Lets face it several teams made him offers,he just went where he wanted to,and where he thought he fit,you are right on with your assesment Brother :foam:

Yup, that pretty much covers the situation. What possible purpose is served now by lying about your interest in PM? It's like trying to explain to the police that you weren't breaking & entering a home illegally with a crowbar in 1 hand, expensive jewelry in the other, & shattered glass at your feet. We all see the PM situation for what it is okay. Just swallow your pride Coach Harbaugh & admit please.

If Alex Smith ego & self esteem are that fragile, how will he respond in November when games really do matter? Deal with it Alex, NFL players must perform well or new talent gets brought in to replace you. It happens all the time at every other position on the roster. Why not QB?

As a long time Stanford fan and who loved the Harbaugh years after a 5-year stretch of some of the worst football anyone has ever seen.... let me say this about Jim Harbaugh.

The man can flat-out coach. I'm glad he was our coach for 4-years. Kinda wish it had been five, but happy with the four years he was at Stanford. But, having said all that, the man is wired differently than almost anyone else you know -- including other head coaches.

Harbaugh doesn't give a rip -- not a thing -- about the media. The media is a necessary evil at best. Everything he does is geared around toward talking up his players and having their back. He talked up Randy Moss and how great he's been at practice, a real roll model for the other receivers. He talked up Michael Crabtree saying Crabtree has the best hands Harbaugh has **ever** seen. And now he's talking up Smith. It's all for the players. He doesn't care if the media doesn't believe him. He's letting the players know he's in the fox-hole with them and has their back.

But..... behind the scenes, Harbaugh can be a world-class jerk. Really. Seriously. He's got a bad temper and is not afraid to show it. He does to players, and to coaches as well. And that gets old with them really fast. I'll put it this way, if Harbaugh had stayed at Stanford one more year with Luck, everyone would have been happy. He's great. And the bottom line is the bottom line. The man knows how to win. And he's a QB's best friend, especially on game day. But, few at Stanford shed a tear when he left. Very few.

While the man can coach, I'm not sure he's a coach for your team for 12-15 years. Maybe he is. But he might also be a type of turnaround guy. Someone who comes in for 6-8 years and turns things around and moves on to build-up another team. Kinda like Parcells. I could easily be wrong here, I'm speculating, talking right out of my a**. But one can envision Jim being a guy who wears out his welcome sooner rather than later. His wife may have a say in the long-term future. She's a California girl. She may want to stay put.

Anyway, you get the idea with Harbaugh..... there's much more to him than meets the eye....

NewColtsFan

As a long time Stanford fan and who loved the Harbaugh years after a 5-year stretch of some of the worst football anyone has ever seen.... let me say this about Jim Harbaugh.

The man can flat-out coach. I'm glad he was our coach for 4-years. Kinda wish it had been five, but happy with the four years he was at Stanford. But, having said all that, the man is wired differently than almost anyone else you know -- including other head coaches.

Harbaugh doesn't give a rip -- not a thing -- about the media. The media is a necessary evil at best. Everything he does is geared around toward talking up his players and having their back. He talked up Randy Moss and how great he's been at practice, a real roll model for the other receivers. He talked up Michael Crabtree saying Crabtree has the best hands Harbaugh has **ever** seen. And now he's talking up Smith. It's all for the players. He doesn't care if the media doesn't believe him. He's letting the players know he's in the fox-hole with them and has their back.

But..... behind the scenes, Harbaugh can be a world-class jerk. Really. Seriously. He's got a bad temper and is not afraid to show it. He does to players, and to coaches as well. And that gets old with them really fast. I'll put it this way, if Harbaugh had stayed at Stanford one more year with Luck, everyone would have been happy. He's great. And the bottom line is the bottom line. The man knows how to win. And he's a QB's best friend, especially on game day. But, few at Stanford shed a tear when he left. Very few.

While the man can coach, I'm not sure he's a coach for your team for 12-15 years. Maybe he is. But he might also be a type of turnaround guy. Someone who comes in for 6-8 years and turns things around and moves on to build-up another team. Kinda like Parcells. I could easily be wrong here, I'm speculating, talking right out of my a**. But one can envision Jim being a guy who wears out his welcome sooner rather than later. His wife may have a say in the long-term future. She's a California girl. She may want to stay put.

Anyway, you get the idea with Harbaugh..... there's much more to him than meets the eye....

NewColtsFan

Good post, in fact, I have enjoyed most of your posts.. Welcome NewColtsFan..!!! :)