Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harbaugh says 49ers did not pursue Peyton Manning

Jules

It always confused me a tad with the Niners. I don't recall hearing anything from Harbs during the whole thing and he also was insistent on Alex Smith since he joined there.

You are right though, I don't see why he is saying this now but well he did.

True. He is a great motivator. We'll see if it works again if this is the case. LOVE Jim as a coach.

I sorta wish he was ours. I love what I know about Pagano, but Harbaugh turned around the 49ers and the Cardinal, plus he was key in Luck's development. Still, happy with Pagano.

Look, Peyton Manning was evaluated by the 49er coaching staff under Jim Harbaugh for the purpose of upgrading their field general position. Everybody knows that. If Peyton had signed in San Francisco, Alex Smith was out. Part of being respected as a head coach is telling the truth publicly & in the lock room.

"There's a perception out there and it's an erroneous perception that we were flirting with Peyton Manning.I keep hearing it over and over. It's silly and it's untrue. It's phony. Even the perception that we were pursuing. We were evaluating..."Alex Smith is our quarterback. Was our quarterback. Had every intention of always bringing him back. There would have been no circumstance that would have let Alex Smith go." What an enormous, steaming pile of elephant dung Coach Harbaugh. haha:lol:lmao

You may be a solid head coach Harbaugh, but you are a pathetic public relations liar IMO. Right Manning & Smith will co-exist on the same roster. I'm not that gullible sir.

Look, Peyton Manning was evaluated by the 49er coaching staff under Jim Harbaugh for the purpose of upgrading their field general position. Everybody knows that. If Peyton had signed in San Francisco, Alex Smith was out. Part of being respected as a head coach is telling the truth publicly & in the lock room.

"There's a perception out there and it's an erroneous perception that we were flirting with Peyton Manning.I keep hearing it over and over. It's silly and it's untrue. It's phony. Even the perception that we were pursuing. We were evaluating..."Alex Smith is our quarterback. Was our quarterback. Had every intention of always bringing him back. There would have been no circumstance that would have let Alex Smith go." What an enormous, steaming pile of elephant dung Coach Harbaugh. haha:lol:lmao

You may be a solid head coach Harbaugh, but you are a pathetic public relations liar IMO. Right Manning & Smith will co-exist on the same roster. I'm not that gullible sir.

You are all over this one...SW1

The guy in Baltimore my favroite Harbaugh even though Jim was a former Colt..

He's one of those people who feels that the truth is what he says it is...

Remember when he was not looking for an NFL coaching job and was not considering it.

Right up to the day he left...for the 49ers.

Some folks feel that anything they say cant be a lie because they said it.

They had no interest what-so-ever, but he admits to flying cross-country to conduct a secret workout? Or is he also saying that he just HAPPENED to be in the neighborhood, stopped to peer over a fence in case there was a pick-up game going on, and "what-do-you know, it's Peyton, lets stop by and say hi". Give me a break.

Regardless whether he was interested or not its time to move on in my opinion, Peyton isn't there Quarterback and Alex is, I see Jim as trying to instill confidence in Smith, nothing wrong with that. it appears he also goes onto say it looks like anyway that they were evaluating if they could have them both so I dont see him lying

They had no interest what-so-ever, but he admits to flying cross-country to conduct a secret workout? Or is he also saying that he just HAPPENED to be in the neighborhood, stopped to peer over a fence in case there was a pick-up game going on, and "what-do-you know, it's Peyton, lets stop by and say hi". Give me a break.

In a hoody attempting to hide his identity, no less.

I loved him as the Stanford HC but this is the sorriest lie I've heard in a long while. He either thinks we are all stupid or he is insane. Or perhaps both. No one is buying his bull. Why calling attention to this now? I don't believe this helps anyone including Alex Smith.

In a hoody attempting to hide his identity, no less.

I loved him as the Stanford HC but this is the sorriest lie I've heard in a long while. He either thinks we are all stupid or he is insane. Or perhaps both. No one is buying his bull. Why calling attention to this now? I don't believe this helps anyone including Alex Smith.

The intensity that helped make him fun to root for as a Colts QB doesn't necessarily translate to watching him coach another team. I don't care for a lot of the "attitude" he's demonstrated. And if Smith's ego is so fragile that he needs this, or if he is so stupid that he believes this, then he (and the team) have much bigger problems than media perception of Peyton's free agency.

The intensity that helped make him fun to root for as a Colts QB doesn't necessarily translate to watching him coach another team. I don't care for a lot of the "attitude" he's demonstrated. And if Smith's ego is so fragile that he needs this, or if he is so stupid that he believes this, then he (and the team) have much bigger problems than media perception of Peyton's free agency.

So true. Now that he is working for the Niners, his intensity seems like an embarrasing flaw rather than endearing feature.

If Alex Smith's self-esteem is so low, it's bad news for the Niners.

I dont see Harbaughs intensity as an embarrassing flaw, his intensity among other things helped his team into the playoffs, something the team couldn't do with a very similar lineup in recent years before that

I dont see Harbaughs intensity as an embarrassing flaw, his intensity among other things helped his team into the playoffs, something the team couldn't do with a very similar lineup in recent years before that

An interesting theory there Gavin...1 I never thought of before. You could be onto something there.

But, it did bother though when Jim Harbaugh complained about the officiating in the NFC Championship Game though. Get over it already. Your special teams dropped the ball literally & the NY Giants beat your squad fair & square. Grow up Jim & show some maturity please. Thank you.

An interesting theory there Gavin...1 I never thought of before. You could be onto something there.

But, it did bother though when Jim Harbaugh complained about the officiating in the NFC Championship Game though. Get over it already. Your special teams dropped the ball literally & the NY Giants beat your squad fair & square. Grow up Jim & show some maturity please. Thank you.

While he did perhaps throw a bit of a tantrum, he wouldn't be the only coach to do so, it happens on a week to week basis and lets take into account that was the NFC Championship game after all he did really do is what us every day average fans of the game do on a game by game basis, criticize a call or calls Im not saying what he did was right but it happens alot

Oh, yeah. I really think Stanford would have won chapmionship last season had he stayed. But now he is someone else's, he seems immature to me. But if he wants to coach my teams, great!

Oh, yeah. I really think Stanford would have won chapmionship last season had he stayed. But now he is someone else's, he seems immature to me. But if he wants to coach my teams, great!

The College bowl system is flawed, they need playoffs, cant punish a team because of who teams play, I love college football but its flawed bad

The College bowl system is flawed, they need playoffs, cant punish a team because of who teams play, I love college football but its flawed bad

Definitely. And they should stop ranking the teams preseason. That unfair practice has too much influence. But I digress...

It always confused me a tad with the Niners. I don't recall hearing anything from Harbs during the whole thing and he also was insistent on Alex Smith since he joined there.

You are right though, I don't see why he is saying this now but well he did.

Sorry don't believe Harbs on this one. :slaphead: If that was the case why wait so long to say anything. Makes no sense and kind of dumb to bring it up but maybe Smith still has his feelings hurt. If so buck up Smith that's the NFL

Definitely. And they should stop ranking the teams preseason. That unfair practice has too much influence. But I digress...

Fans shouldn't digress from that sort of deal in my opinion because it often times >>>s both the fans over who want to see their team go to a national championship game yet they are refused that honor (being both the players and the fans who watch the there team) from seeing that because some pole or voters or computers didnt like the schedule a certain team was dealt or didn't like the fact that Team A didnt blow out Team B enough

How is he lying? I 100% believe his comments that the 49ers were "evaluating" Manning ... Maybe they didn't like what they seen and thus did not "pursue" Manning. Until Manning actually makes a come back, can't say how bad their evaluation panned out.

How is he lying? I 100% believe his comments that the 49ers were "evaluating" Manning ... Maybe they didn't like what they seen and thus did not "pursue" Manning. Until Manning actually makes a come back, can't say how bad their evaluation panned out.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion hawkeyes.

If the management in San Francisco was "Happy" with Alex Smith's performance at QB, why even bring Manning into the facility at all? Answer: Either the team owner or the coaching staff wants to see significant improvement at the field general helm that Smith didn't exhibit enough on a consistent basis.

True, there is some uncertainty about the magnitude of Peyton's full recovery I will admit, but you don't bring in a SB winning, 4 time MVP just for a nice field trip & complementary beverage okay. Harbaugh is blowing smoke up his own backside if he really thinks anyone buys that foolish damage control statement. I don't buy a word of it. Snake oil will always be snake oil in my book.

I think he's awesome. He might very well be my all time favorite Colt too. Had a huge crush on him when I was a teenager, man was he a handsome guy in his prime with a lot of moxie. The moxie is still there too. :)

I think he is a breath of fresh air at times.

Whatever happens I am sure Harbaugh can talk up Smith to thinking he was always "the one" though, I feel like he has his ways. Smith might have doubts deep down but this guy can motivate and lie well.

I loved Harbaugh last year after they beat the Lions when he praised the entire team and ended with Smith and called his moments clutch. And the "Who has it better then us? Nobody".

Love it.

I hope Pagano brings some of that swag to Indy and he might have already based on reports.

Football has so much emotion in it at times.....emotion can sometimes be the tipping point in games. Can Harbaugh repeat it with his squad this season? Time will tell but I will never count out a Harbaugh led team.

The one move that did baffle me a bit was bringing in Moss who I cannot stand. If this works out though then my crush on Harbs just gets higher.

I think he's awesome. He might very well be my all time favorite Colt too. Had a huge crush on him when I was a teenager, man was he a handsome guy in his prime with a lot of moxie. The moxie is still there too. :)

I think he is a breath of fresh air at times.

Whatever happens I am sure Harbaugh can talk up Smith to thinking he was always "the one" though, I feel like he has his ways. Smith might have doubts deep down but this guy can motivate and lie well.

I loved Harbaugh last year after they beat the Lions when he praised the entire team and ended with Smith and called his moments clutch. And the "Who has it better then us? Nobody".

Love it.

I hope Pagano brings some of that swag to Indy and he might have already based on reports.

Football has so much emotion in it at times.....emotion can sometimes be the tipping point in games. Can Harbaugh repeat it with his squad this season? Time will tell but I will never count out a Harbaugh led team.

The one move that did baffle me a bit was bringing in Moss who I cannot stand. If this works out though then my crush on Harbs just gets higher.

Im not sure how much of an impact Randy will have but some reports say he still has it, whether he does or not remains to be seen

The word "lying" is a bit strong, but his indignation is disingenuous. What is the point exactly of evaluating if you don't plan to pursue? One is clearly a precursor to the other. And considering that there were a LOT of teams interested in Peyton, but he only visited a handful, the flipside interpretation of his comments would be "we were just yanking Peyton's chain and wasting his time". If they had no intention of signing him, than how else would you describe it?

They obviously hoped to sign him, but reading the entirety of his comments, it sounds like they were only interested if it was at a bargain price - perhaps so they could try and keep Smith as his backup. You would think that one phone call to his agent would have saved both parties a lot of needless aggravation.

Possibly they evaluated him and did not think he looked well enough to be "pursued" ...

always a "possibility" :dunno: However, I think Peyton was the one conducting the interviewing, and not the other way around.

always a "possibility" :dunno: However, I think Peyton was the one conducting the interviewing, and not the other way around.

Yes Gramz, that is exactly how I perceive the situation as well. What am I basing that theory on you may ask? While it is true that I was not literally in the room with Harbaugh or Peyton during his team decision process, former Colts GM Bill Polian has shared with NFL CBS analyst Phil Simms that he and Coach Mora in 1998 conducted their initial interview with Peyton and then Peyton turned the tables on them and grilled both of them about the depth and quality of their offense line and overall playbook scheme.

During the course of that interview Peyton said that famous line "If you don't take me [selecting QB Ryan Leaf instead in the draft] I will kick your [team's] butt for the next 10 years." Trust me, Peyton was in full command of that Q & A session with Jim Harbaugh.

No doubt about that.

Marino had to talk him into even meeting with the Dolphins. He let Pete Carroll and the Seahawks sit on the tarmac at the Denver airport as opposed to meeting with them. KC wanted to a dance, he declined. Manning met with the teams he wanted to and they each did so under his terms. Or it simply wasn't going to happen.

Jim can deny, lie, fluff Alex, call it whatever he wants, but no matter what he does it doesn't change the facts.

He's just lying.

To some. Its not a sin. It comes easy.

Interesting comments. And a tad confusing too.

http://www.bradenton...9ers-didnt.html

interesting article, thanks for posting . . . FA talks are can at times seems confusing . . . SF wanted to sign Alex Smith and were evaluating PM as possible back up plan, if the Smith signing fell through, . . . or in the alternative, and not very probable, the possiblilty to have both PM and Smith . . .

it looks like coach was responding to the Panthers's players comments that Smith would not be safe if PM "decided" to come to SF and coach wanted to set teh record straight that is was not his decision . . .

Regardless of how it looks in hindsight, Harbaurgh would have been a fool had he NOT courted Manning. The 49ers have been brimming with talent the last few years (at least), it just took someone like Harbaurgh to bring it out. Alex Smith may be a nice guy to root for, but he is NOT one of those talent. And one would think Harbaugh realizes that he cannot depend on + 28 turnover ratio (the MAJOR reason for their success) in 2012. He needs a QB that can do more than not throw INTs. He needs a QB that can actually throw TDs. Eli threw a crap load of INTs by comparison (16 to 5) last season...but he now has his second ring because he can also throw a crap load of TDs (29 to 17).

Harbaugh is full of it;no one just evaluates Peyton Manning without being interested.SF has a great team but dont know a/b Alex smith.Hes the missing link.

Harbaugh is just saying this to pump Alex up and make him feel better and that the team has faith him.

We all know the 49ers were intersted and pursued Manning. If they did not then they are ..