Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stanford Changes Offensive Coordinator Title

21isSuperman

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

The Stanford football team no longer has an "offensive coordinator." Instead they have the "The Andrew Luck Director of Offense."

This is not an Onion Sports article. This really happened. There is even a press release, announcing that some anonymous donor has endowed the position in honor of Luck.

So Pep Hamilton is your official first Andrew Luck Director of Offense.

--

I can't be the only person who finds this to be ridiculous

They are making a player bigger than the team...bigger than the game! No player is bigger than the game, especially a college player who hasn't taken a single snap in the NFL. I'm all for Luck, I support him 100% and I'm definitely a fan, but this is ridiculous. If a college changed it after their player had great NFL success, it would make more sense (though it would still be ridiculous), but this is too much

This is actually a very common thing to happen in Ivy League sports.

"The Thomas Stephenson Family Head Coach for Harvard Football"

...for instance.

Google it. All Ivy League athletics take part in this type of endowment. It's considered a huge honor...so I don't see anything wrong with it. Luck did a lot for that school.

now the NFL comment is ridiclous!!! NFL sucess has nothing to do with college sucess, plus they are honoring his college sucess

i get its kind of quirky, but luck had no control over this.

I probably didn't word it right. What I was trying to say was if Tennessee was to do something like this for Peyton, it would make more sense because he had success in college and in the NFL. You won't see LSU do anything like this for JaMarcus Russell despite all of his college success. Again, I think it's crazy to do it in the first place, regardless of what kind of success a player has. But it would just make a tiny bit more sense to me if the player has a lot of NFL success following a strong college career.

I probably didn't word it right. What I was trying to say was if Tennessee was to do something like this for Peyton, it would make more sense because he had success in college and in the NFL. You won't see LSU do anything like this for JaMarcus Russell despite all of his college success. Again, I think it's crazy to do it in the first place, regardless of what kind of success a player has. But it would just make a tiny bit more sense to me if the player has a lot of NFL success following a strong college career.

The University of Michigan shouldn't retire Brady's #, even if he won 5 more Super Bowl Titles, while Florida already has a Tebow statue(they have one for Spurrier and Wureawful too, their Heistman winners) and none of those have amounted to much in the NFL to date. Cam Newton, Bo Jackson and Pat Sullivan have them in Auburn. Again, all 3 are Heistman winners.

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2010/4/2/1401027/tennessee-football-basketball

Football Criteria

If you thought the basketball policy was tough,

check out the football qualifications:

THREE of the following...

• Inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame
  • SEC Player of the Year
  • First Team All-American
  • Heisman Trophy winner
  • Winner of either the Sullivan Award, Draddy Award, or SEC Athlete of the Year (all sports)

....AND, THREE of the following:

• Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame
  • NFL Offensive or Defensive MVP
  • FIVE Pro Bowl selections
  • Own a major single season or career statistical record

To me the college recognition should be only about the players time at the school and even then there should be limitations.

At Tennessee for example, you could have one of the best college players ever, and if he fails to shine at the NFL level, he would not likely have his jersey retired unless they amended their policy.

The University of Michigan shouldn't retire Brady's #, even if he won 5 more Super Bowl Titles, while Florida already has a Tebow statue(they have one for Spurrier and Wureawful too, their Heistman winners) and none of those have amounted to much in the NFL to date. Cam Newton, Bo Jackson and Pat Sullivan have them in Auburn. Again, all 3 are Heistman winners.

http://www.rockytopt...ball-basketball

To me the college recognition should be only about the players time at the school and even then there should be limitations.

At Tennessee for example, you could have one of the best college players ever, and if he fails to shine at the NFL level, he would not likely have his jersey retired unless they amended their policy.

But it would still be weird if LSU came out and decided to make a JaMarcus Russell statue because of all he did during his college career; same with Leaf and Washington State. Now, if Leaf and Russell had very good pro careers, I wouldn't say it would be crazy to put up a statue of them in front of the stadium.

But it would still be weird if LSU came out and decided to make a JaMarcus Russell statue because of all he did during his college career; same with Leaf and Washington State. Now, if Leaf and Russell had very good pro careers, I wouldn't say it would be crazy to put up a statue of them in front of the stadium.

Not to me. I mean Tee Martin has a street named after him and he played 2 seasons. Take Tommie Frazier for example at Nebraska. He would be a perfect example of a player that excelled in college but didn't have an NFL game. Plenty of players have been studs in college and failed in the NFL.

To me it would be more foolish for Michigan to have a statue of Brady than it would be for Washington State to have one of Leaf. Leaf was better at WSU than Brady was at Michigan. Pro careers can't be debated, but I don't have an issue for colleges honoring college careers.

Not to me. I mean Tee Martin has a street named after him and he played 2 seasons. Take Tommie Frazier for example at Nebraska. He would be a perfect example of a player that excelled in college but didn't have an NFL game. Plenty of players have been studs in college and failed in the NFL.

To me it would be more foolish for Michigan to have a statue of Brady than it would be for Washington State to have one of Leaf. Leaf was better at WSU than Brady was at Michigan. Pro careers can't be debated, but I don't have an issue for colleges honoring college careers.

Yeah, I understand your point. I have no problem with wanting to honour a guy's college career, but to rename your position coach title seems like a bit too much. A statue? Sure. Renaming the locker room or the film room? Sure. But this seems like way too much

Yeah, I understand your point. I have no problem with wanting to honour a guy's college career, but to rename your position coach title seems like a bit too much. A statue? Sure. Renaming the locker room or the film room? Sure. But this seems like way too much

Agreed. It's a bit embarrassing for them. Like you said, Statude, locker room, film room, heck even an award as I mentioned before. The Andrew Luck Stanford Team MVP would be more of an honor to future players and to Luck than what they just did.

Figured someone would want an example lol...See above in my edited post

I think what he's saying is, since it's so common, we should be able to get a laundry list of examples of it happening and not just one.

This is actually a very common thing to happen in Ivy League sports.

"The Thomas Stephenson Family Head Coach for Harvard Football"

...for instance.

Google it. All Ivy League athletics take part in this type of endowment. It's considered a huge honor...so I don't see anything wrong with it. Luck did a lot for that school.

Exactly, this is not strange at all. I think most people just aren't familiar with this sort of thing? Endowments are how private institutions like Stanford fund athletic programs and keep them self-sufficient. Every athletic scholarship and most paying coaching positions are funded by endowments. They're usually named after the donor, person or corporation, but in this case the donor chose to name it after Luck instead of themselves. Fair enough... it's their money.

If you walk through Arrillaga you'll see a wall with bricks naming all the endowments iirc. (Not sure, if it's still there.) They all read exactly like this just with other personal names, families and corporations.

And no, I'm not the least bit embarrassed. I'm glad that not a single dime of my tuition, let alone taxpayer dollars, went to paying for football, basketball, baseball, etc. Endowments like this one make that possible.

Exactly, this is not strange at all. I think most people just aren't familiar with this sort of thing? Endowments are how private institutions like Stanford fund athletic programs and keep them self-sufficient. Every athletic scholarship and most paying coaching positions are funded by endowments. They're usually named after the donor, person or corporation, but in this case the donor chose to name it after Luck instead of themselves. Fair enough... it's their money.

If you walk through Arrillaga you'll see a wall with bricks naming all the endowments iirc. (Not sure, if it's still there.) They all read exactly like this just with other personal names, families and corporations.

And no, I'm not the least bit embarrassed. I'm glad that not a single dime of my tuition, let alone taxpayer dollars, went to paying for football, basketball, baseball, etc. Endowments like this one make that possible.

Hey sounds like it serves a good purpose. Maybe other schools should follow suite.

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

The Stanford football team no longer has an "offensive coordinator." Instead they have the "The Andrew Luck Director of Offense."

This is not an Onion Sports article. This really happened. There is even a press release, announcing that some anonymous donor has endowed the position in honor of Luck.

So Pep Hamilton is your official first Andrew Luck Director of Offense.

--

I can't be the only person who finds this to be ridiculous

Relax everyone.... really..... seriously. I'm a new Colts fan here. But I'm also a 40-year Stanford fan. I'm on a Stanford fans website even more than I'm here. In the grand scheme of things this is good for Stanford.

The position is now endowed but it won't be referred to that on a day to day level. And when you're watching a Stanford game on TV, and you see a shot of the OC in both, he'll be referred to as the Offensive Coordinator. I'm sure some announcer will make a Luck reference.... but as time goes on, that will most likely fade. But it's good for the school. You endow the position to make sure it is now funded forever. The school doesn't have to worry about salary. And with money for sports on every college campus at a premium, Stanford now knows the money is always there. The money they would otherwise set aside for the OC spot can now go elsewhere within the Athletic Department. At Stanford, the HC is endowed, so is the Athletic Director. And so is the head basketball coach as well as the women's basketball coach and the baseball coach too. It helps the school. I realize this is likely the first time the name has gone to an athlete, so it is unusual in that regard, but in the long run it's a good thing for the school. It's getting attention now because no one has honored an athlete this way before. But when the newness wears off, the buzz will pass. Big Picture, this is good, though I realize it looks peculiar.

NewColtsFan

They are making a player bigger than the team...bigger than the game! No player is bigger than the game, especially a college player who hasn't taken a single snap in the NFL. I'm all for Luck, I support him 100% and I'm definitely a fan, but this is ridiculous. If a college changed it after their player had great NFL success, it would make more sense (though it would still be ridiculous), but this is too much

Did you ever visit Knoxville TN in the late 90;s?

Stanford isn't IVY league.. They have had several great players in the NFL.. If the OC's title is named after Luck, is the president of the university's title named after Elway?

It's not about being or not being Ivy League. They are considered a prestigious college, heavily funded by alumni for their athletics. They are doing what every other prestigious/Ivy League athletic team does from time to time with their positions.

They made a pretty big push to sign him this offseason. If I remember correctly, they changed the speed limit on one of the roads to 16 mph in honour of Peyton.

I'm not sure about UT.

Ole Miss honored Archie with an 18 MPH speed limit for years:

speedlimit18.jpg

http://www.lostlettermen.com/4-22-2012-eli-manning-ole-miss-manning-way-speed-limit-eli-manning/

Eli-Manning-Way-Ole-Miss.jpg

Which has now been changed to 10.

Knoxville did name a street after Manning.

252665399_f1d338e6f5.jpg

It's not about being or not being Ivy League. They are considered a prestigious college, heavily funded by alumni for their athletics. They are doing what every other prestigious/Ivy League athletic team does from time to time with their positions.

Notre Dame doesnt do things like this