Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stanford Changes Offensive Coordinator Title

21isSuperman

It's not about being or not being Ivy League. They are considered a prestigious college, heavily funded by alumni for their athletics. They are doing what every other prestigious/Ivy League athletic team does from time to time with their positions.

It really doesn't even have anything to do with being prestigious. This is very common on the academic side of many colleges and universities. You just don't see it as often on the athletic side, so it strikes people as weird or inappropriate at first.....myself included.

What it all boils down to is if you donate a lot of money to a school, you typically get to name something at the school, be it a building, or a lab, or a training facility, or a parking garage. If you fund an endowment for a faculty or staff position, you typically get to name the endowed position. For example, in the electrical engineering department at my alma mater, they have....

F. Finley Distinguished Professor of Electrical Engineering

Roy A. Wilkens Missouri Telecommunications Professor of Electrical Engineering

William A. Rutledge - Emerson Electric Company Distinguished Professor of Electrical Engineering

Mary K. Finley Missouri Distinguished Professor of Computer Engineering

Schlumberger Distinguished Professor

...and I didn't go to a big-name school. I'm sure that most people on here have never heard of it.

So this really isn't even Stanford honoring luck. This is an alum that donated a lot of money to fund an endowment for the OC position choosing to name the position after Luck. Kind of unusual to name it after a player, but what is Stanford supposed to do? Tell the guy, "No, we don't want your money. Go away."

If I was super rich, I would come up with an obscenely long name for the position. "The Glad To Have Had Andrew Luck But We Also Need To Move On And Build For The Future So We Have A Well Established And Dominant Offense Chief Executive Officer Of Offensive Playcalling On First Downs And Second Downs With Greater Than 12 Yards To Go At Stanford University."

Or some acronym. "The Bro On Stanford's Staff Maintaining Aerial Niftiness....or BOSSMAN"

If I was super rich, I would come up with an obscenely long name for the position. "The Glad To Have Had Andrew Luck But We Also Need To Move On And Build For The Future So We Have A Well Established And Dominant Offense Chief Executive Officer Of Offensive Playcalling On First Downs And Second Downs With Greater Than 12 Yards To Go At Stanford University."

Or some acronym. "The Bro On Stanford's Staff Maintaining Aerial Niftiness....or BOSSMAN"

Now that's a title that would get attention Superman as long as it has a big raise that goes with it. haha

I'm sure the university still has some discretion over names. Like, if the guy tried to name it the...

Patty McFatty Coordinator of Offensive Activities, Big Macs, Choco Tacos, and Cardiac Arrest

...I think they would probably tell him no.

Now that's a title that would get attention Superman as long as it has a big raise that goes with it. haha

"The Local Edifying, Aerially Destroying Eccentric Ruler...or LEADER".

"Hey coach, what play do we run?"

"Hm....let's see what the LEADER has to say. Always check with the LEADER before doing anything"