Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson’s Tap Out

csmopar

The more time I’ve had to think about it the more upset and disappointed I am in AR.  Taking himself out of the game because he is tired is unacceptable.  He showed his true colors by doing that.  He has no trouble in his press conference throwing it out to the media and fans as if it’s no big deal.  Always smiling.  But it is.  And he doesn’t see it which is astonishing really.  He is supposed to set an example but today he came across as a pampered athlete who has been handed the job as our starting quarterback.  Which also makes him the presumptive leader on this team.  For me he is not ready to lead this team from a skill level and more importantly from a leadership role.  He has a long way to go on both fronts.  I’m not confident he will ever get there now.  I’ve been in the corner of giving him more snaps but after today I have seen enough of who he really is.  Today he lost me.  It wouldn’t surprise me if he lost some teammates as well.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It’s because of the position. 

A QB, fair or unfair is the most visible representative position of the team. 

They’re often the main leader of the locker room. And as a leader, you’re held to higher standards compared to other players. 

Again, it’s not fair really, but it’s the truth in terms of leadership. 

I think I will watch the game on NFL+ to see what others are talking about, as it seems from afar to be much ado about nothing. Fans are very critical of players. Many years ago, there was a baseball player that fans thought did not want to play. He was lambasted by fans and the media for saying he did not feel well enough to play. I think he was a pitcher, a position of leadership. It was later learned that when he said he was not well, he had had blood clots and had a stroke.

The discovery that Richard had a life-threatening condition was proof that he was not lazy, as some members of the press and fans had been saying, and that his complaints of arm fatigue should have been taken more seriously.

No one knows what was going on when AR asked out for one play.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think I will watch the game on NFL+ to see what others are talking about, as it seems from afar to be much ado about nothing. Fans are very critical of players. Many years ago, there was a baseball player that fans thought did not want to play. He was lambasted by fans and the media for saying he did not feel well enough to play. I think he was a pitcher, a position of leadership. It was later learned that when he said he was not well, he had had a stroke or heart attack.

Yes, I recommend watching if you can. 

This was directly from Anthony himself:

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

...I hope Ballard talks to him Monday. 
I hope Shane talks to him Monday. 
I hope Jim Bob talks to him Monday...  

I think maybe Shane should talk to him more during the course of the game. Maybe he does? But (on tv) I don't recall ever seeing Steichen talking to AR either on the sidelines or over by the bench

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yes, I recommend watching if you can. 

This was directly from Anthony himself:

Bizarre response from him. I guess he will learn that people don't approve of that.

• Like 2

I've also noticed and commented to folks I've watched with that he does seem to get really winded at times during games. I get it he's running hard at times but I've never seen that even from guys who were running for their lives.

Not a good look, but I still want him in there until he sinks or swims.

48 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think I will watch the game on NFL+ to see what others are talking about, as it seems from afar to be much ado about nothing. Fans are very critical of players. Many years ago, there was a baseball player that fans thought did not want to play. He was lambasted by fans and the media for saying he did not feel well enough to play. I think he was a pitcher, a position of leadership. It was later learned that when he said he was not well, he had had blood clots and had a stroke.

Oh, please. He smiled and said he was tired and needed to rest. There’s no mystery here lol. The coach said that too. He got no attention from trainers. At 22, he can’t handle playing QB for a full game without taking himself out for a breather. Does it bother you it was third and goal when he quit for a play? He says himself he’s a “great” passer and the best running QB not named Lamar, so isn’t it imperative he’s in for a key play in a big game? Why haven’t more QBs done this in the history of the NFL? Has AR discovered a new cheat code the rest of the NFL hasn’t figured out yet? Or is he just soft and, apparently, out of shape? 

• Like 1

That’s my feelings on it.  There are lot bigger issues from today and with Richardson in general then this.  If people want to blast him for it got for it but I am much more concerned with him going 2-15 in the first half, throwing the INT that decided the game and only completing 33% of his passes for the day than this.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I don't play sports but I see other players leaving the field for a play or so. What is the difference?

Sad how many of you don’t get it. Do you know anything about football? Serious question, not an insult.

10 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Sad how many of you don’t get it. Do you know anything about football? Serious question, not an insult.

Yes. Just because QBs in history have not asked to come out does not mean it should not be done. A football player died of heatstroke because everyone kept practicing in the heat. He was feeling sick and continued to practice, as that is what football players do. He collapsed and died. Had he come out and taken a breather, he may have been criticized my you but he would have been alive. (That was Korey Stringer.)

• Like 2

He shouldn't have even been in the game in the 3Q, A teaching moment was missed.  He almost throws a pick as time is ticking down in the first half, don't wait for him to throw the pick on the very next play, Burn up the clock with a few run plays / have him take a knee and talk to him on the sideline letting him know it's unacceptable and that Joe will play from that point forward in the 2nd half.  The game is bigger than AR.  He had completed two passes up to that point, not all his fault, which you reinforce. But the signs were very clear, take him out and save him from himself.

• Like 2

I'm of the opinion that AR was drafted too high - with his dearth of college experience, he would've been much better suited to have been drafted a round or 2 later and developed as a legitimate NFL starting quarterback. With that said, I'm not blaming Ballard or Steichen for grabbing him when they had the opportunity because had they not, someone else likely would've, probably with a Top 10 pick. The Seahawks, Cardinals, Raiders, Falcons, Eagles & Bears all drafted after us and of all those teams, only the Eagles had their QB of the future already on their roster. The Seahawks could've drafted him and had him learn from Geno Smith for a season or so but when a quarterback is drafted in the 1st round, especially with a Top 10 pick, there is always intense pressure for them to play right away, and start early into their rookie season.

While his size, speed & strength made Richardson a very attractive prospect to most if not all GMs & coaches, it's undeniable at this point that he definitely needed more seasoning before being handed the reins to a franchise and it's entire offense.

I'm not ready to cast him aside just yet, but Shane were to start Flacco going forward with AR as the #2 with a few situational plays  designed just for him each game (kinda like how Reich utilized Brissett while Rivers was here) and we win as many games as we can that way, we'd probably make the playoffs. I'm not sure if Ballard would allow that though, he took a risk by drafting Anthony as high as he did and if it doesn't work out,  it probably costs him his job.