Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IMO this team is in much worse shape than what is being spun by management or believed by fans.....

Really think about this team.   Put away the blue colored glasses and think about this team as a whole, after 8 years of Ballard.  Where are we?  Because this team imo is awash in complete malfunction.  Spinning wheels.  Again....after 8 years of the same leadership. 

Be realistic....are we close to winning the division?  No.

Are we close to competing for a SB?  Not even close.   I mean not even in the same universe. 

Instead we have a QB drafted at #4, after years of avoiding the Qb situation by signing, trading for, and playing other teams castoffs, who now cannot stay healthy.  Who has completed 4 games out of 23.   Who for whatever reason isn't even playing now despite the fact he seems healthy and instead is being replaced by a 39 year old back up.

We have a secondary who after 8 years, has our best player being a guy who was cut from another team after this years training camp.  After we heard "we like our guys".  What does that say about how this team has drafted over the years and managements ability to evaluate players?

We have management that can clearly see a D being led by a coordinator who is a complete failure and yet who keeps defending him.  That is psychotic and not a program that is interested in getting better but is more interested in just keeping the status  quo. 

We have a D line that has been heavily invested into the past 5 years via the draft, and yet is graded out as one of the worst in the NFL.  Yes the Colts have had injuries, but even before that the D line was graded low.  Our guys are not that good despite how much we want to believe they are.  Even our #1 pick this year, who was hyped like crazy, has done next to nothing.  IMO he looks way too weak and small to ever be a huge impact guy.   He is not athletic at all either.   I am getting Björn Werner vibes. 

Our linebackers, for lack of a better word, our mediocre at best.  The ONLY reason they have so many tackles is because the D line lets so many RBs get into the secondary. Period.  None are game changers. 

Our O Line, while decent, is still not worth the money invested into it.  An O line worth that type of money would still be able to open holes even  with a JT injury.   But that doesn't happen.  They don't blow people off of the ball.  Watch the past 2 weeks.  Walter Payton could not have run through the holes created by our O line.  They hit the line and are met by 3 guys. 

After years of blowing off the WR corp, Ballard finally started to draft WR's and guess what....imo that is now the strongest position on the team.   Weird how that works.  But even so I don't think Ballard ever really wanted to do that as he is all about the lines and not game changing positions.  I just think he felt forced to do it because of the criticism he has faced.

When you get down to it, this team, after 8 years, is still regarded to average to moderately below average....as it has been since Ballard took over.  Not once in 8 years has this team been considered for or looked like a contender for a SB appearance. 

Think about that.  Not once in 8 years.   Just pure 'averageness". 

And it astounds me that so many Colts fans and the Colt ownership is willing to put up with that.  Name me a job where you can do  an average to below average job for 8 years and get paid $millions?

There isn't one.

How many real ELITE players are on this team?  After all of this time?  I am talking young guys who you can build upon.  Real guys.  Not 'just guys'.  

JT.  Maybe Nelson (even that is iffy).  Maybe Raimann.  Downs I believe is.   AR is iffy.  Has potential but iffy due to the fact he gets injured too much.  Pittman is good but not elite.  Buckner?   Very good but I would not call him elite because he is older and gets paid too much.    Who else?

Even Steichen has looked like a very average play caller and not what he was billed to be.  An offensive guru.  Do you get 'guru' out of him?  I don't.  The Lions and Packers for example have a way more developed and sophisticated offense. 

So what is it....again after 8 years....do we have to look forward to? Where is the hope that we can be truly SB contenders soon?  I don't see it.

Time for a change. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Could it be this team is better than you want to give credit for? 

We have injuries at key positions  and yet are still in the hunt for a playoff spot. 

I think we would have at least 1 more win had we had Taylor on the field. 

• Like 1

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Could it be this team is better than you want to give credit for? 

We have injuries at key positions  d are still in the hunt for a playoff spot. 

I think we would have at least 1 more win had we had Taylor on the field. 

Tell me.  Do you think this team is any closer to contending for a SB compared to 8 years ago?  And has this team contended for a SB in the past 8 years?  

Just a very simple yes or no.  And if no.....as we all know is the correct answer....they why do we keep spinning our wheels?

It is insanity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ColtAndOrioles said:

Tell me.  Do you think this team is any closer to contending for a SB compared to 8 years ago?  And has this team contended for a SB in the past 8 years?  

Just a very simple yes or no.  And if no.....as we all know is the correct answer....they why do we keep spinning our wheels?

It is insanity. 

The problems the Colts face is no different than what the majority of teams face. 

Just the rules of the game has morphed it into a game that is geared for the offensive side of the game.  With gambling and fantasy sports dominant in the game its not even the same game. QBs are over protected while WRs can't be guarded.  

I been watching the NFL for over 60 plus years and it's definitely changed into a more entertaining game than a competitive game.

• Like 1

BTW this team just got beat by a Jaguars team that is considered to be maybe the 2nd worst in the league and that was totally demolished by the Bears.   A very below average team at best.  A one win team.  The one win being against the Colts. 

We also barely beat a Titans team who may be the 3rd worst team in the league.  A team that is so boring and without talent that it is not even a blip on the NFL radar.  They are nothing. 

Losing to one worst team, and barely beating another worst team, should not be something that Colts fans should be hanging their hats on after 8 years of the present Colts leadership.   

It's embarrassing.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

The problems the Colts face is no different than what the majority of teams face. 

Just the rules of the game has morphed it into a game that is geared for the offensive side of the game.  With gambling and fantasy sports dominant in the game its not even the same game. QBs are over protected while WRs can't be guarded.  

I been watching the NFL for over 60 plus years and it's definitely changed into a more entertaining game than a competitive game.

I completely agree with that.  But the sad fact is Colts management has not changed with the times.  They still believe we play in 1972.  Hence why we are so boring....and mediocre. 

12 minutes ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

It is insanity. 

Absolutely yes.  Nice long write up but that’s about it.  Complain all you want but Ballard is going nowhere.  This is a very good young team and will only get better.  You don’t see it but I think we’re in a good position.  And I’m not alone.

• Like 3

you ask for honesty. here is my opinion of the roster without considering past seasons. just strictly looking at this roster. 

QB - A project, 2nd year QB, who missed his entire rookie season. And who is again injured, basically in his rookie season 2.0 We likely either see one of two the ings. He starts protecting himself, or he's out of the league faster than Luck.

Flacco - is the QB we would've probably gone with if we couldn't get a young, rookie. Why do I say this? Becuase he did it for half a decade. 

RB - I wouldn't take a single back over Taylor outside of McCaffery. When you consider his recent injuries and unavailability as of late, there could be an argument for other backs like Kenneth Walker, or Barkley. With that being said, a healthy Taylor is a top-tier weapon. 

Offensive Line - despite the injuries to our starting center and RG, who by the way happened to be a7th  rounder steal, we still have a top 10, and arguably top 5 line (most rankings have the colts line rated as top 5), I want to see more out of Tucker, I have my worries about him long term. But even with that being said, We have very promising depth Between Bortolini, Gonclaves, and Freeland. I have never been more confident in our line, and this is certainly our best group since Castonazo retired. Berni is rated as the 3rd best TACKLE, not just LT, but tackle right now. The story is on X if you want to confirm. Then he followed it up and grabbed a swing tackle in freeland also in the third round. I am very confident in this offensive line. 

WR - probably our best group since Regg, hilton, and crief. not much explanation here. Pittman is a DOG. undeniable enforcer at WR1, we have our slot assassin, and our WR2 deep threat is leading our team in yards. We have our W 1- 3. AD I don't like him personally, due to his reluctance to catch certain balls, and his taking plays off mentality. I do believe this is something that reggie will eventually get to stop. If I had to pick a WR for the next 6 years, I'm taking all 3 of our other WRs over him. With that being said, we are talking about WR4 here. What a luxury. And don't forget dulin, who is capable in a pinch, and is a ST ace gunner. 

TE - I think the room is crowded with averageness. I think Mallory and Ogletree are the future there, but Cox did just have a good game. I would like to see a reduction in quantity and an improvement of quality at this position. I think Mallory is at least good enough to be a serviceable TE2, with a ceiling to develop into an average TE1, I think Ogletree will replace Cox. 

Defense

Corner is trash. next.

Dline - I said it before the season started, we desperately need a young promising DT. Both Grove and Buck are on the other side of their football careers, and as soon as one of them goes down it looks ugly. worst rushing defense essentially. I like 95, but he just isn't big enough in certain run scenarios. We had a plethora of ends and quickly dwindled after losing lewis and Ebukam. I think going into the season, it was the most loaded we've been at the position. I think we need another 3rd-5rh rounder at the position, but I am also okay with him finding FA budget talent since we primarily have our guys between dayo, PAYE, and Latu. 

Linebacker - I am actually pretty negative on this position overall. I think that a lot of the stat stuffing games that Z or Speed have is really due to our abysmal run defense. I think they both lack turnover ability, and I want to upgrade this position with an impact player. No doubt about it. Carlies shows promise. I'd rather see him on some downs compared to speed. Although EJ brings energy, he often doesn't quite wrap up when running downhill. 

Safety - we need true free safety, but Blackmon has been good. Cross proved everyone wrong, and we have our SS for the future. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

I completely agree with that.  But the sad fact is Colts management has not changed with the times.  They still believe we play in 1972.  Hence why we are so boring....and mediocre. 

What seems boring and mediocre to you is not shared by the majority of the players in the league.  Just because we are not dominant and getting 12 wins a season does mean it’s as you say. 

35 minutes ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

It is insanity.

26 minutes ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

It's embarrassing

26 minutes ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

so boring....and mediocre. 

I’m not going to lie at all, I didn’t do much but skim through your posts, but these caught my eye as it’s how I feel about these kind of threads. We are 6 games into a 17 game season and have been beat to hell, yet sit at the 7th spot at 3-3 in a year that is clearly all about developing young players. There is a ton of football left, but it appears that you’ve written off another season and are looking to start the complaining early.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hard to argue with what is being said. I would add that it is almost laughable that Ballard has probably drafted 40 to 50 players for this defense and still has hit on a total of ONE difference maker and he had to retire early. You could draft from a magazine and probably hit on more than 1 difference maker when you select that many players over 8 years. This defense is bad after 8 years and every single player and coach is who Ballard wanted. Sucks, cause I wanna believe but I know what I'm seeing and it aint good.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

Hard to argue with what is being said. I would add that it is almost laughable that Ballard has probably drafted 40 to 50 players for this defense and still has hit on a total of ONE difference maker and he had to retire early. You could draft from a magazine and probably hit on more than 1 difference maker when you select that many players over 8 years. This defense is bad after 8 years and every single player and coach is who Ballard wanted. Sucks, cause I wanna believe but I know what I'm seeing and it aint good.

lol.

1 hour ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

BTW this team just got beat by a Jaguars team that is considered to be maybe the 2nd worst in the league and that was totally demolished by the Bears.   A very below average team at best.  A one win team.  The one win being against the Colts. 

We also barely beat a Titans team who may be the 3rd worst team in the league.  A team that is so boring and without talent that it is not even a blip on the NFL radar.  They are nothing. 

Losing to one worst team, and barely beating another worst team, should not be something that Colts fans should be hanging their hats on after 8 years of the present Colts leadership.   

It's embarrassing.   

What about the Bears?  Are they the worst team?  What about Pittsburg?  Are they the worst team?   They cant ALL be the WORST team, can they?

Also, in terms of the conference, we are tied for 3rd win 3 wins with Chargers, and the Broncos.

In terms of scoring, we are tied for tied for 5th with 10 TDs with Texans, Ravens and the Bills.

Despite our staring QB and RB for several games, we're in the upper half of the league for offense.  I think we're doing OK.

• Like 1

If AR doesn't pan out, then Ballard is gone. AR is going to get the length of his rookie contract as an opportunity to pan out. If he stays injury riddled thoughout his rookie contract, then he didn't pan out. It's still season 2 week 7 though and he's only played in 7 of those games though and is still the youngest starting QB in the league.

If some of y'all viewed it like this, than y'all wouldn't be so mad all the time lmao.

Ballard was investing in the WR group. Pretty sure they’re all 2nd round picks including Mitchell this past draft. They’re just all doing well around the same time outside of Pittman who has been doing pretty well for himself for a while now. 

other than that, I’m on the fire Ballard train. He’s going to need AR to do well in order to keep his job and AR is injury prone. Hard to argue that he’s not. He’s played 3 full games this year. 

without a QB you can have a ton of talent everywhere else but you’re likely not competing for SBs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We are 3-3 with all these injuries. I think that’s pretty good. I don’t think people understand how many injuries we have had. Despite that we are we are 3-1 in last 4 games. We went 3-1 without Buckner. 

it just seems to be the same story every year which is where the frustration comes into play. The colts are often one of the most injured teams. The colts are often a .500 football club. And that’s “pretty good” but not good enough. 

• Like 1

The best part about being a pro works as we have the right to be upset. I agree completely about this original poster. Ballard has been weighted, tested put through fire and given enough leash to choke himself. it’s simply has it worked and eight years is an eternity in the NFL. I still can’t imagine why Irsay or the daughters haven’t seen enough to go a different direction. the whole conversation that we like our own guys should be his final epitaph as our general manager, even if this team turns around and makes the playoffs it’s still time to get a new general manager because this team is so average below average and we keep putting up with a year after. I’ve had more than enough of this.

• Like 1

One thing there is no arguing about is the record since Ballard has been here, and division titles (0), and playoff wins (0).

I personally like Ballard.  I think he’s honest and sticks to his plan.  

But I’m totally frustrated that he won’t spend to improve obvious weak positions.  

And in the end, all excuses aside, you are your record.  

IMHO, this should be the put up or shut up year for him and Gus.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Absolutely yes.  Nice long write up but that’s about it.  Complain all you want but Ballard is going nowhere.  This is a very good young team and will only get better.  You don’t see it but I think we’re in a good position.  And I’m not alone.

Only some in Indy and Ballard's relatives see it that way. That "good" young team is just a lazy narrative that has gotten old. Honestly tell me what are they good at? Winning? Stacking division titles? Being elite on either side of the ball? Having some type of league appeal that has led to prime time games? Or is it SB contention? Most of the young players drafted by Ballard outside a few lack top tier talent.

Do you realize that the Colts sit almost directly in the middle of the league with an avg age at 26.0? The Niners sit at number 30 with an avg age of 26.9 so basically the whole league is young. The Chiefs sit at 4th while the Packers are listed as the youngest team with an avg age of 24.9

Ballard has pulled a slight of hand trick by masking his 8 yr run of being slightly decent enough to tease the fanbase but not good enough to accomplish absolutely anything. Oh but that's right we have injuries and nobody else does... lol

One of the main culprits to our struggles over the last 5+ years was going the QB retread route. Not sure if that's on Ballard or boss man Jim, but we should've been swinging (drafting) for QB's right after Luck bailed.

To me it all stems from that and that's what's kept us in limbo so to speak.

2 hours ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

Really think about this team.   Put away the blue colored glasses and think about this team as a whole, after 8 years of Ballard.  Where are we?  Because this team imo is awash in complete malfunction.  Spinning wheels.  Again....after 8 years of the same leadership. 

Be realistic....are we close to winning the division?  No.

Are we close to competing for a SB?  Not even close.   I mean not even in the same universe. 

Instead we have a QB drafted at #4, after years of avoiding the Qb situation by signing, trading for, and playing other teams castoffs, who now cannot stay healthy.  Who has completed 4 games out of 23.   Who for whatever reason isn't even playing now despite the fact he seems healthy and instead is being replaced by a 39 year old back up.

We have a secondary who after 8 years, has our best player being a guy who was cut from another team after this years training camp.  After we heard "we like our guys".  What does that say about how this team has drafted over the years and managements ability to evaluate players?

We have management that can clearly see a D being led by a coordinator who is a complete failure and yet who keeps defending him.  That is psychotic and not a program that is interested in getting better but is more interested in just keeping the status  quo. 

We have a D line that has been heavily invested into the past 5 years via the draft, and yet is graded out as one of the worst in the NFL.  Yes the Colts have had injuries, but even before that the D line was graded low.  Our guys are not that good despite how much we want to believe they are.  Even our #1 pick this year, who was hyped like crazy, has done next to nothing.  IMO he looks way too weak and small to ever be a huge impact guy.   He is not athletic at all either.   I am getting Björn Werner vibes. 

Our linebackers, for lack of a better word, our mediocre at best.  The ONLY reason they have so many tackles is because the D line lets so many RBs get into the secondary. Period.  None are game changers. 

Our O Line, while decent, is still not worth the money invested into it.  An O line worth that type of money would still be able to open holes even  with a JT injury.   But that doesn't happen.  They don't blow people off of the ball.  Watch the past 2 weeks.  Walter Payton could not have run through the holes created by our O line.  They hit the line and are met by 3 guys. 

After years of blowing off the WR corp, Ballard finally started to draft WR's and guess what....imo that is now the strongest position on the team.   Weird how that works.  But even so I don't think Ballard ever really wanted to do that as he is all about the lines and not game changing positions.  I just think he felt forced to do it because of the criticism he has faced.

When you get down to it, this team, after 8 years, is still regarded to average to moderately below average....as it has been since Ballard took over.  Not once in 8 years has this team been considered for or looked like a contender for a SB appearance. 

Think about that.  Not once in 8 years.   Just pure 'averageness". 

And it astounds me that so many Colts fans and the Colt ownership is willing to put up with that.  Name me a job where you can do  an average to below average job for 8 years and get paid $millions?

There isn't one.

How many real ELITE players are on this team?  After all of this time?  I am talking young guys who you can build upon.  Real guys.  Not 'just guys'.  

JT.  Maybe Nelson (even that is iffy).  Maybe Raimann.  Downs I believe is.   AR is iffy.  Has potential but iffy due to the fact he gets injured too much.  Pittman is good but not elite.  Buckner?   Very good but I would not call him elite because he is older and gets paid too much.    Who else?

Even Steichen has looked like a very average play caller and not what he was billed to be.  An offensive guru.  Do you get 'guru' out of him?  I don't.  The Lions and Packers for example have a way more developed and sophisticated offense. 

So what is it....again after 8 years....do we have to look forward to? Where is the hope that we can be truly SB contenders soon?  I don't see it.

Time for a change. 

Well, I can’t argue with you. I agree with everything you said.

• Like 1