Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Play calling

Here’s what I noticed about Shane’s play calling…hes in my opinion actually top 3 in creating “first 15” in the league.. for those who may not understand the reference.  That’s literally the script for opening the game offensively.. his problem comes from middle second to maybe middle/end of third when he has to actually play the chess match.. that maybe something he is still working on while still  being a fairly new HC…  

Gus to me is just overall not good.. incompetent… the field seems so massive with his defensive scheme.. I mean I don’t think I’ve ever seen this many games with people running wide open.. granted our talent is lacking but that’s all the more reason to not scheme them into situations that highlights their deficiency!! 

• Like 1

I find Shane’s play calling to be very suspect at times, especially his run plays.  Like many have said, he kind of reminds me of Frank.  He can be very stubborn and want to run it up the middle way to often.  For me the jury is still out on if he is the answer as our HC.  He might be one of those guys that’s a decent OC, but not a leader of men.  But like always time will tell.

1 minute ago, TheEdgeis1 said:

I find Shane’s play calling to be very suspect at times, especially his run plays.  Like many have said, he kind of reminds me of Frank.  He can be very stubborn and want to run it up the middle way to often.  For me the jury is still out on if he is the answer as our HC.  He might be one of those guys that’s a decent OC, but not a leader of men.  But like always time will tell.

Ehhh you had me until the last sentence. The guys seem to respond to him much better than frank.

that said, I do agree, there’s times his play calling is head scratch worthy

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Ehhh you had me until the last sentence. The guys seem to respond to him much better than frank.

Especially the goal line calls today.   Terrible 

• Like 1

I will agree with the weirdness or head scratching in regards to Shane's play calling at times. 

He'll occasionally pull out a genius play and then look very Frank like at times. Hopefully that's more with having to deal with multiple QBs being in and out of the lineup.

2 hours ago, Rolltide_gocolts said:

Here’s what I noticed about Shane’s play calling…hes in my opinion actually top 3 in creating “first 15” in the league.. for those who may not understand the reference.  That’s literally the script for opening the game offensively.

Which could go a long way towards explaining ARs two good opening drives against PIT?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Which could go a long way towards explaining ARs two good opening drives against PIT?

Play calling is not an issue with Shane as I beleive he is elite in that area. Where he will prove his worth is being able to reconstruct this defense from the ground up. Even if AR doesn't work out. I would trust Shane to find a replacement if it became obvious if AR could not remain healthy. 

I don’t think Shane is the master play caller we all thought he was.  Honestly I think hes a lot closer to Frank than most of us care to admit.  His runs are very predictable and don’t change regardless of situation, personal, or who they are playing.  It’s going to be hammering it right into the middle of the line even though Taylor does his best work in space.  I’d love to see them run off tackle with Nelson pulling, especially with two rookies probably playing center and right guard for a while.  

Sermon up the gut three straight times against the heart of the Titans defense and their best player Simmons with a rookie center and right guard is the best he could come up with on the goal line?  Honestly that’s just the Hines up the gut play with different players.  

Pierce has been a weapon this year yet he doesn’t get plays called for him until the fourth quarter, normally when they need a big play due to time and it’s almost out of desperation.  Then he loves these slow developing screen plays that Frank loved that never work in todays NFL because they take too long and then it’s normally to a tightend or Pittman who should be the guys blocking on those plays for the fast guys like AD or Pierce.  

For those going yeah but the players love Shane and respond to him they did the same for Frank too until they didn’t.  

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

Agree with you but on the first part I want to point out that the players were responding well to Reich too... until they didn't. 

Coaches are risking losing the players' trust if those coaches keep asking them to bang their heads against the wall and not doing anything different/inventive to help them. I think Reich lost the players with time. Hope Steichen doesn't with his insistence to do the exact same thing Frank was doing (goalline/short yardage runs between the tackles again and again and again).

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Very good point…. I will say AR may be an outlier because of his dynamic ability with his arm talent and feet so it’s easy to keep defenses on their heels.. which ultimately makes his job easier as a play caller