Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Gay

hambone35

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If he isn’t healthy he needs to be out on IR. If he is healthy he should be cut. It almost cost them the game.

So Gay missed another kick. I won't be surprised if we see him back on the injury report this coming week.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is hitting the shorter kicks but is struggling with over 50. It was a 54 yarder . Colts had a better chance to pick up 3 yards on offense.

That 54 yarder was ugly. Even if there was a second goal post, next to regular one, it still wouldn't been good.

Gay was signed because his expertise was 50+ yard kicks. And last year, after that Baltimore game, everyone thought he was ligit. This year, I don't trust him from any distance. period.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

That 54 yarder was ugly. Even if there was a second goal post, next to regular one, it still wouldn't been good.

Gay was signed because his expertise was 50+ yard kicks. And last year, after that Baltimore game, everyone thought he was ligit. This year, I don't trust him from any distance. period.

We should also never again game plan for a field goal kicker again like we did with LegoMan who could only make 38 yard kicks 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So funny to see fans calling for people to be cut.  A nerd calling for an athlete who is in the top 1 percent in the world to be cut.   My goodness.   I hope my boss isn't that strict

I work for my State. I miss something I will for sure be fired 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Do we have to "cut" and "re-sign" Gay to demote him to the practice squad?  Or can we swap out our kickers, keeping both on the roster, without having to do that?

Honestly, I don’t know.   

Someone like @Superman would.   Or @w87r would, but I haven’t seen him in a while.  He may be lurking?   

Or @GoColts8818 might know.  

Sorry I’m not more helpful.   

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, I don’t know.   

Someone like @Superman would.   Or @w87r would, but I haven’t seen him in a while.  He may be lurking?   

Or @GoColts8818 might know.  

Sorry I’m not more helpful.   

Yes you have to release them and then re-sign them to the practice squad.  You can’t just demote a player there or teams would do that to get around waivers.  Granted waivers wouldn’t apply to Gay but he also would rather be free agent then demoted to PS as would most vets.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

yup, every time they trot gay out even on an extra point I just say well it’s a 50/50 parlay at this point. It sucks that if a game is on the line I am terrified if Gay is called upon for anything longer than 40-45 yards…and from closer I am still nervous at best. Terrible feeling. Kickers gotta make those points way more often than they miss from all reasonable distances. You know anything from 7-54 yards. Anything over 54 and I’m just going to say it’s a crapshoot for almost any kicker.

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes you have to release them and then re-sign them to the practice squad.  You can’t just demote a player there or teams would do that to get around waivers.  Granted waivers wouldn’t apply to Gay but he also would rather be free agent then demoted to PS as would most vets.

I suppose the team could always declare him "injured" (whether he is or not), just to get around the rule.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They can always call up the kicker on the PS and make Gay a healthy scratch.

They could.  But then they would have 2 kickers on the game day 47-man roster.  If one balks at having 3 QB's on the active roster, having 2 Kickers might get stuck in the throat!

17 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is hitting the shorter kicks but is struggling with over 50. It was a 54 yarder . Colts had a better chance to pick up 3 yards on offense.

Take a look at the extra point and FG's he did make, they were barely inside the upright.  He isn't right and is a liability right now.

:gloomy:

• Like 1

If he is indeed healthy and has no physical limitations, then a conversation needs to be had. You sign a kicker to the contract we signed Gay to to be able to hit the ones over 50+. You can’t cut a vet like Shaq Leonard last year for poor play, but then let the kicker routinely miss kicks and not make a change. 

@NewColtsFan has said that there are cap ramifications that make a cut unlikely, so I’ll trust that info. But at the very least he needs to be a healthy scratch and you need to see what you have in your other kicker.

23 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

If he is indeed healthy and has no physical limitations, then a conversation needs to be had. You sign a kicker to the contract we signed Gay to to be able to hit the ones over 50+. You can’t cut a vet like Shaq Leonard last year for poor play, but then let the kicker routinely miss kicks and not make a change. 

@NewColtsFan has said that there are cap ramifications that make a cut unlikely, so I’ll trust that info. But at the very least he needs to be a healthy scratch and you need to see what you have in your other kicker.

To clarify… 

My comment about cap ramifications isn’t mine alone.   I believe GoColts1888 and Superman have said that before I did.  Perhaps other posters as well.  I was just being an echo.  

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

They could.  But then they would have 2 kickers on the game day 47-man roster.  If one balks at having 3 QB's on the active roster, having 2 Kickers might get stuck in the throat!

Because the PS kicker is on the PS he would revert right back to the PS. Then you just make gay inactive so he wouldn’t count as the 47 that day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

its mostly mental? Dude  you have been kicking in the NFL for years. If you dont trust your mind then take a seat 

It happened with Vanderjagt .   He was the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL.  Then he lost it.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm not sure if that's the case with gay.  If he's hurt he should probably shut it down 

He literally said there is no injury. And for you of all people to suddenly defend him for an injury is quite the flip-flop. Less than a month ago you were one of the people yelling the loudest to dismiss anyone who even entertained the very idea that he may be coming back too quickly from hernia surgery because we weren’t his personal physician. 

He’s not hurt. He’s just lost it. He lost it sometime last year, and a return does not appear to be in the cards.