Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you see any progress with Richardson?

Smonroe

I thought Flacco did pretty dang good. It was nice seeing passes not go over our receivers heads. AR played pretty well in the short time he was in there but I still didn’t see anything that would tell us he’s fixed his accuracy on short/intermediate throws. That being said AR is the starter unless he plays his way out or gets injured again.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I thought Flacco did pretty dang good. It was nice seeing passes not go over our receivers heads. AR played pretty well in the short time he was in there but I still didn’t see anything that would tell us he’s fixed his accuracy on short/intermediate throws. That being said AR is the starter unless he plays his way out or gets injured again.

Holder had a really good tweet and it showed AR footwork was much better then the bears game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Flacco was good.

I read his QBR was 20 points higher than ARs.

Flacco did his job. I'm not sure i understand why some are putting Flacco down

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

Flacco was good.

I read his QBR was 20 points higher than ARs.

Flacco did his job. I'm not sure i understand why some are putting Flacco down

no one is putting him down. He did his job. The offense is limited and we aren’t going to be an explosive offense with Flacco. It will be a boring offense.

On 9/22/2024 at 6:55 PM, Happy2BeHere said:

To early to determine “progress”…more time is needed. It’s highly unusual to see any meaningful progress in a handful of games.

Three weeks into the 2024 season, we are at Gartner Stage 3 with Anthony Richardson. I think this cycle holds for most sports performance vs. expectations (fans and players, both).

Gartner hype cycle 1.png

On 10/1/2024 at 8:05 AM, DougDew said:

Just curious, other than height, weight, speed, and ball velocity; do we know how AR measured in other athletic drills?  3 cone, shuttle, bench press, etc.  He moves like a guy who might not score very high on those others.  JMO.

Not that I would expect a QB to do those others drills.  Its just that this idea of his athleticism we have maybe comes from our imagination and hope rather than anything substantial.  Its like because he scores a 98th percentile on HWS, and throwing distance, we expect a 98th percentile for explosion and body control to come with it.

He's a straight line around the end runner

On 10/1/2024 at 7:54 AM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

BTW AR was good. So let’s stop acting like Flacco was that much better.

Of course both guys were good, but one guy slid a couple yards short of a first down when two defenders were waiting to blow him up. The other guy got his first down and then spent three quarters on the sideline. One guy understands availability is truly the most important ability.

You don’t have to be Andrew Luck-smart to play quarterback, but I wonder if AR is so short of intelligence that he never will figure out why he is once again sitting and watching.

I think AR will get better with time (he’s so young and new ) but his short yardage accuracy is atrocious.  It’s so bad that during the last two games AR threw the ball over the receivers head out of bounds and my gf said “ good Job at least he threw it out of bounds to not get intercepted” and I said , “ babe that wasn’t on purpose he literally is that inaccurate” lol.  When you throw it so far over your receivers head that it looks like you threw it out of bounds on purpose, you know there is some stuff for your qb to work on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Watching this makes me wonder what's going on with his mechanics lately. 

He didn’t do anything for 6 months. Holder had a great video how they were so much better against Steelers then bears. I imagine QB have muscle memory where throwing becomes automatic and when you cant do anything for 6 months that’s going to happen.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Watching this makes me wonder what's going on with his mechanics lately. 

The problem with the video is that it's a highlight video.  We could do the same thing in 2024, cut out all the bad throws,  and show some great plays.   Someone mentioned it before, but he's still had shoulder surgery just last year.  We just need to see some consistency.   Before he got hurt last game,  he seemed on the right path.  Had one really bad over throw but moved down the field pretty well.

Interesting stat comparison on Anthony Richardson:

Jayden Daniels started 55 games in college.  Richardson started 13 games in college.  Has started only 18 games since high school.  Even Trey Lance had more starts since high school than Richardson.  If Richardson started the next three years in the NFL without missing a game, he would still have fewer starts than Daniels had just in college.

That how stunningly raw AR is.

One of the obvious risks of Richardson playing so few college games is that he hasn't proven that his body can withstand the rigors of football (although he had, to me, a concerning number of college injuries for someone who didn't play many games). So far in his NFL career, it looks like he can't take hits without getting hurt and isn't good at avoiding hits. That's what we saw last season, and then this season, it looked like the Colts were limiting his running for three games, and then he got hurt early in fourth game. I hate this for the Colts and hope it turns out to be dead wrong, but he looks like a QB who needs to run a good bit to succeed but can't run a good bit without getting hurt. 

You know what I'd really love to see? Someone who really knows, breakdown the accuracy issues of not just AR but any QB. Does anyone know of such a place/creator/video? For the life of me I can't get my mind around missing throws as bad as AR misses sometimes (this is not hating, its genuine curiosity). I keep hearing about footwork but as a person who played shortstop my entire life (through college - not good enough for more than that) I never missed a throw to 1st as badly as this dude misses some throws - thus my ignorance that I'd love to change. 

**I realize baseball isn't football. I realize I'm not a pro athlete. I also realize as a person that played shortstop for close to 20 years that my feet were seldom set for throws, my arm angles were almost never the same but my throws were never that far off. 

4 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

You know what I'd really love to see? Someone who really knows, breakdown the accuracy issues of not just AR but any QB. Does anyone know of such a place/creator/video? For the life of me I can't get my mind around missing throws as bad as AR misses sometimes (this is not hating, its genuine curiosity). I keep hearing about footwork but as a person who played shortstop my entire life (through college - not good enough for more than that) I never missed a throw to 1st as badly as this dude misses some throws - thus my ignorance that I'd love to change. 

**I realize baseball isn't football. I realize I'm not a pro athlete. I also realize as a person that played shortstop for close to 20 years that my feet were seldom set for throws, my arm angles were almost never the same but my throws were never that far off. 

AR is young and inconsistent (not shocking), the very 1st pass of the game he threw a 42 yard dart to Pittman which looked a Dan Marino pass.  

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

AR is young and inconsistent (not shocking), the very 1st pass of the game he threw a 42 yard dart to Pittman which looked a Dan Marino pass.  

Aware but what about the 2nd pass to Pittman? 

The point of my post is to say - anyone know a source that can help me understand how/why/what caused a throw to be that far off target?

4 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

The point of my post is to say - anyone know a source that can help me understand how/why/what caused a throw to be that far off target?

To answer your question, I don't. The only thing I can say is, he is still young and will make mistakes. Peyton threw 28 INT's as a rookie and he played 4 years of college ball where he went 39-5. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To answer your question, I don't. The only thing I can say is, he is still young and will make mistakes. Peyton threw 28 INT's as a rookie and he played 4 years of college ball where he went 39-5. 

Were on the same page there. Basically, I'm admitting that I don't know how to play QB (at any level), I don't understand QB footwork and I'd love someone to explain it to me because I only see it through my lens as a lifelong baseball player that loves watching football. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

If you want detailed breakdowns about QB play, there's no one better than JT O'Sullivan. His YT channel is called QB School, and he gives what you're looking for. Good place to start, go to the 11:30 mark of this video for discussion about footwork: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOTCdHFsQgs

My opinion on the 2nd pass to Pittman is going to be unpopular. I think Pittman ran his route at half speed, and broke off too early. Watch his route, pay attention to the cushion from the DB, and look at when Richardson throws the ball. The throw is to the sideline, at the marker. Pittman runs his route just short of the marker, and is still about two yards away from the sideline when the ball arrives. 

It's an RPO, so the timing of the throw is critical. I don't think Richardson was rushing, and I think his footwork and mechanics are fine on this throw. He's lined up to throw to the left, he opens his hip so he's not fighting across his body, he doesn't short arm or drop his arm slot like he sometimes does on quick throws. These are the problems he's had on throws to the left at times this season, and I don't think those were a factor on this throw. I'd like for him to set his front foot more deliberately, but he gets his foot down and executes an acceptable throwing motion. I think Pittman wasn't where he was supposed to be. He should have been about a yard further downfield, and closer to the sideline, which he would have been had he run his route with a little more urgency.

I'll also say that this is a throw where Richardson could stand to take some speed off of it. A softer throw would allow Pittman an opportunity to adjust and make the catch. And with the separation from the DB, there was enough time for a more accommodating pass. Richardson will need to figure out when to use one of his shorter clubs, particularly when throwing to Pittman, who doesn't always run his routes with his hair on fire. 

By the way, contrast this with Richardson's overthrow to Pittman vs the Bears, when he's throwing across his body to the left, and his feet aren't planted to throw. Or the 4th and 2 against the Texans, overthrow to AD Mitchell, when Richardson drops his arm angle and the ball sails on him. These inaccuracies are due to mechanics. 

The throw to Pittman this week was fine mechanically, and I don't think he necessarily missed his spot. At first, I assumed it was another inaccurate throw to the left. After watching more closely, I think he needs to get in sync with Pittman on routes like that. We can blame either one of them, or both, but I don't think it's an issue of him being unable to put the ball where he wants to. Not on that throw.

12 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

The problem with the video is that it's a highlight video.  We could do the same thing in 2024, cut out all the bad throws,  and show some great plays.   Someone mentioned it before, but he's still had shoulder surgery just last year.  We just need to see some consistency.   Before he got hurt last game,  he seemed on the right path.  Had one really bad over throw but moved down the field pretty well.

I understand it's a highlight video. My point is that his mechanics have been very inconsistent so far this season. He only attempted 4 passes on Sunday, but they all looked legit. I just wonder if his mechanics really suffered during his rehab; it's seemed like a weak excuse so far, but just watching some of his old stuff again reminds me that he wasn't a completely unformed prospect who had to be taught everything about a proper throwing motion. 

Like you said, it's about consistency, which will hopefully come with time. But his mechanics have been more inconsistent this year than I expected. And it's possible that's because of his rehab.

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

If you want detailed breakdowns about QB play, there's no one better than JT O'Sullivan. His YT channel is called QB School, and he gives what you're looking for. Good place to start, go to the 11:30 mark of this video for discussion about footwork: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOTCdHFsQgs

My opinion on the 2nd pass to Pittman is going to be unpopular. I think Pittman ran his route at half speed, and broke off too early. Watch his route, pay attention to the cushion from the DB, and look at when Richardson throws the ball. The throw is to the sideline, at the marker. Pittman runs his route just short of the marker, and is still about two yards away from the sideline when the ball arrives. 

It's an RPO, so the timing of the throw is critical. I don't think Richardson was rushing, and I think his footwork and mechanics are fine on this throw. He's lined up to throw to the left, he opens his hip so he's not fighting across his body, he doesn't short arm or drop his arm slot like he sometimes does on quick throws. These are the problems he's had on throws to the left at times this season, and I don't think those were a factor on this throw. I'd like for him to set his front foot more deliberately, but he gets his foot down and executes an acceptable throwing motion. I think Pittman wasn't where he was supposed to be. He should have been about a yard further downfield, and closer to the sideline, which he would have been had he run his route with a little more urgency.

I'll also say that this is a throw where Richardson could stand to take some speed off of it. A softer throw would allow Pittman an opportunity to adjust and make the catch. And with the separation from the DB, there was enough time for a more accommodating pass. Richardson will need to figure out when to use one of his shorter clubs, particularly when throwing to Pittman, who doesn't always run his routes with his hair on fire. 

By the way, contrast this with Richardson's overthrow to Pittman vs the Bears, when he's throwing across his body to the left, and his feet aren't planted to throw. Or the 4th and 2 against the Texans, overthrow to AD Mitchell, when Richardson drops his arm angle and the ball sails on him. These inaccuracies are due to mechanics. 

The throw to Pittman this week was fine mechanically, and I don't think he necessarily missed his spot. At first, I assumed it was another inaccurate throw to the left. After watching more closely, I think he needs to get in sync with Pittman on routes like that. We can blame either one of them, or both, but I don't think it's an issue of him being unable to put the ball where he wants to. Not on that throw.

That's exactly what I was looking for - thank you. His breakdown around ARs feet at the 19:40 mark is explained perfectly. 

Liked, subscribed and will follow his content. Thanks again.  

• Like 1