Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Attempted 2 point conversion

indyagent17

The Colts just blocked a punt on the next play and Taylor ran it in for a touchdown.

We missed the two point conversion and that took momentum completely away from the team Houston marched down the field and scored a touchdown. 

That was a very pivotal point of the game because it kept Houston up nine points every time they scored a touchdown. We had a chance to win this game on defense and failed twice on their last drive. As much as I think that Richardson was throwing in the double coverage and making bad throws. That missed two point conversion was a very pivotal part of the game. There is never a reason to go for a two point conversion with that much time left you never know what’s going to happen. Just my thoughts, 

• Like 1

When will these coaches realize that going for two points early is a bad idea. You have no idea how the game is going to go so just take the point and keep momentum. That’s what I’m saying. It’s just a stupid idea to go for that early in the game. I see it in the fourth quarter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

When will these coaches realize that going for two points early is a bad idea. You have no idea how the game is going to go so just take the point and keep momentum. That’s what I’m saying. It’s just a stupid idea to go for that early in the game. I see it in the fourth quarter.

you can argue this until you're blue in the face. 
you're gonna get one of a few reactions.

a - we would've been tied at the end forcing them to score 

b - hindsight is 20/20

c- coaches are very well informed of the analytics in today's NFL and are leaps and bounds more informed that posters on this board.

d - shane is recognized as one of the brightest offensive minds in football, there are countless articles, and even the Texans GM stating this. for each brilliant play he draws up, sometimes they will not work. 
e - the call was fine, but just didn't work out, stuff happens.
f - being aggressive with more time remaining actually works in your benefit because if you don't achieve it you have more time in the game to adjust and attempt to recuperate. 

I'm sure some other posters will have more reasons, but as you can see there are more than enough arguable premises to really make it a "who cares" kinda topic. You can split hairs all day on this, and still it's gonna come down to hindsight is 20/20 or shoulda coulda wouldas. We could run through that whole game and do this. 

6 minutes ago, AKB said:

you can argue this until you're blue in the face. 
you're gonna get one of a few reactions.

a - we would've been tied at the end forcing them to score 

b - hindsight is 20/20

c- coaches are very well informed of the analytics in today's NFL and are leaps and bounds more informed that posters on this board.

d - shane is recognized as one of the brightest offensive minds in football, there are countless articles, and even the Texans GM stating this. for each brilliant play he draws up, sometimes they will not work. 
e - the call was fine, but just didn't work out, stuff happens.
f - being aggressive with more time remaining actually works in your benefit because if you don't achieve it you have more time in the game to adjust and attempt to recuperate. 

I'm sure some other posters will have more reasons, but as you can see there are more than enough arguable premises to really make it a "who cares" kinda topic. You can split hairs all day on this, and still it's gonna come down to hindsight is 20/20 or shoulda coulda wouldas. We could run through that whole game and do this. 

You’re weird are you a Texans fan. Going for two points is a major risk reward. It failed regardless of all the reasons but it shouldn’t have been. Kick the extra point take the nearly sure point and move on and see how the game goes from there. Like I said, Houston just drove down the field. After that it was more than a missed point conversion. It was a major momentum shift. The team was deflated and the defense played like it after that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

It wasn’t early

31 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

You’re weird are you a Texans fan.

if you're gonna take a personal shot at me, at least make it funny or something. nothing about what I said indicates I'm a texan fan. 

and clearly you haven't seen me on here talking about the colts for the last 8 years.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, AKB said:

if you're gonna take a personal shot at me, at least make it funny or something. nothing about what I said indicates I'm a texan fan. 

and clearly you haven't seen me on here talking about the colts for the last 8 years.

Overlooked is the fact that the Texans missed a 2 pt. Conversion, went for a 4th and 1 and got a TD, and they found a way to overcome that missed 2 pt. Conversion, we didn’t because we couldn’t even get the freaking ball back to get a FG to win it at the end.

If a professional team is DEFLATED, after a failed 2 pt. Conversion, I don’t have words to combat that line of thinking when teams like the Steelers, Bears etc. tighten up despite bad QB play and find a way to win giving the O more chances. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AKB said:

we would've been tied at the end forcing them to score 

That's the biggest factor for me, had we converted the game would've been tied but even though we didn't, there was plenty of time to go for a field goal to go ahead if we could’ve stopped them from continuing to score - we couldn't, and were forced to match them touchdown for touchdown and hope for a stop and the ball on the final drive but Collins' great sideline catch allowed Houston to kneel out the clock once we were out of timeouts.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

That's the biggest factor for me, had we converted the game would've been tied but even though we didn't, there was plenty of time to go for a field goal to go ahead if we could’ve stopped them from continuing to score - we couldn't, and were forced to match them touchdown for touchdown and hope for a stop and the ball on the final drive but Collins' great sideline catch allowed Houston to kneel out the clock once we were out of timeouts.

If you look at it objectively, we “potentially” spotted them a lost 9 points due to the INT and missed 2 pt. Conversion.

They “potentially” spotted us 5 points with their missed 2 pt. Conversion and the end of the first half FG clock management snafu. 

Both of us traded 4th down TDs. So if we controlled what we could control and got the ball back enough, we had a very good chance, IMO. 2 INTs we got off Stroud - Brent’s went out of bounds and another was a Jaylon Jones penalty nullifying it.

• Like 1

I am usually all for just taking the easy points, but in that instance, there was ZERO downside. 

You make it, you’re tied.  You miss and a FG still puts you into the lead, just like would still be required if they went for 1.  And consider, at the end if they had made it, game would’ve been tied.  Had they gone for 1, the end outcome remained the same, Colts needing a FG for the win. 

Honestly, I am shocked this 2pt decision is getting such scrutiny, especially in this day and age of aggressive moves & mathematical metrics.  If ever there was a justifiable 2 pt attempt, this was it!  Coach made the correct call there, and I thought JT was going in on a cakewalk.  Shocked he somehow got stopped. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I am usually all for just taking the easy points, but in that instance, there was ZERO downside. 

You make it, you’re tied.  You miss and a FG still puts you into the lead, just like would still be required if they went for 1.  And consider, at the end if they had made it, game would’ve been tied.  Has they gone for 1, the end outcome remained the same, Colts needing a FG for the win. 

Honestly, I am shocked this 2pt decision is getting such scrutiny, especially in this day and age of aggressive moves & mathematical metrics.  If ever there was a justifiable 2 pt attempt, this was it!  Cosch made the correct call there, and I thought JT was going in on a cakewalk.  Shocked he somehow got stopped. 

This forum LOVES to second guess and are masters of 20/20 hindsight.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’ve said it many times.  The two point conversion turns normally smart men into *s.  There’s rarely a need to go for two before the 4th Quarter.   Iowa stupidly went for two during the 3rd Quarter on Saturday and wound up losing by one. 

That’s the thing about football and sports in general.  If we execute, the game changes, momentum swings, Texans feel more pressure, coach is a genius on every message board.  Fail to execute, like missing a key block on the play, momentum stifled, Texans exhale a little, coach is questioned relentlessly by us message board experts.  Very thin line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Breeze said:

That’s the thing about football and sports in general.  If we execute, the game changes, momentum swings, Texans feel more pressure, coach is a genius on every message board.  Fail to execute, like missing a key block on the play, momentum stifled, Texans exhale a little, coach is questioned relentlessly by us message board experts.  Very thin line.

You can say that again. 

I guess these guys wouldn’t have the gumption to call an onside kick for the Saints, Philly special in a SB and hide behind CYA most of their lives, or fail to put the ball in the hands of their HOF QB on a 4th and 2 (failed vs Colts) or 4th and 5 (succeeded vs Falcons in SB for Brady).

Fear of failure isn’t a motivator for these coaches. What John Harbaugh does “can” be a tad more reckless by going for it a LOT on4th down but he’s playing to win and get the edge always.

It is like you can’t win with message board armchair coaches. You draw up a great play with a pass catching RB in Goodson on 4th and 1 when everyone and their mother is crashing the line of scrimmage but he drops it, should have involved JT, they say, helps them sleep better at night.

Now we involve JT on the failed 2 pt. Conversion, we see why he isn’t good laterally and why Goodson was chosen for the play. So we can’t go at JT, so Steichen is your piñata.

It sometimes feels like some haven’t played a sport where you forget about a botched play with short term memory and move on to execute the next ones to overcome mistakes. They will dwell on it from before half time to forever…glad they aren’t playing because we’d be blown out with such a deflating attitude towards mistakes. Good teams and players overcome, that’s the faith the coaches have in them as pros.

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

Overlooked is the fact that the Texans missed a 2 pt. Conversion, went for a 4th and 1 and got a TD, and they found a way to overcome that missed 2 pt. Conversion, we didn’t because we couldn’t even get the freaking ball back to get a FG to win it at the end.

If a professional team is DEFLATED, after a failed 2 pt. Conversion, I don’t have words to combat that line of thinking when teams like the Steelers, Bears etc. tighten up despite bad QB play and find a way to win giving the O more chances. 

OK since Schorr the expert explain to me why the defense played so badly after that the first half was decent we were in the backfield causing all kinds of problems for Stroud in the second half. We just let them control us after that two point conversion miss they just marched down the field. I’m not saying that it ruined the team, but it’s very deflating when you score a touchdown and missed the two-point conversion when you’re behind.

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

Thank you.

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

If you look at it objectively, we “potentially” spotted them a lost 9 points due to the INT and missed 2 pt. Conversion.

They “potentially” spotted us 5 points with their missed 2 pt. Conversion and the end of the first half FG clock management snafu. 

Both of us traded 4th down TDs. So if we controlled what we could control and got the ball back enough, we had a very good chance, IMO. 2 INTs we got off Stroud - Brent’s went out of bounds and another was a Jaylon Jones penalty nullifying it.

really like your take on this topic. another thing I noticed about our defense, kind of a side note, is that they were feast or famine. I suppose that can be due to week 1, could be due to the youth, or maybe the traitsy player's ballard drafts, maybe a combination of it all. 

if they can somehow be ,middle of the pack defense, I think AR is gonna lead us to 10 to 11 wins. if they keep giving up 30 points, I expect another season close to .500

• Like 1

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

OK since Schorr the expert explain to me why the defense played so badly after that the first half was decent we were in the backfield causing all kinds of problems for Stroud in the second half. We just let them control us after that two point conversion miss they just marched down the field. I’m not saying that it ruined the team, but it’s very deflating when you score a touchdown and missed the two-point conversion when you’re behind.

LOL. That’s a reach.

The D wasn’t getting off the field because they were running all over us because DL and LBs weren’t shedding blocks, as simple as that.

You can keep grasping at straws like it’s somehow related to a failed 2 pt. conversion.

Maybe if they thought that way after Peyton threw a pick 6 and we went down 3-21 in the AFCCG, the pros wouldn’t have comeback with enough stops on D and plays on O. It works the same at any level in sport.

Go play a sport, figure out what short term memory should mean or self-wallow in pity for a mistake all you want, letting it affect you the rest of the game. Deflating, yeah right!!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chad72 said:

Exactly. HOU missed a 2 pt conversion as well.

And then (I am sure we can all agree) got hosed by the refs when they took away a FG attempt (that they prob hit 90% of the time).

Game could have been 17-7 at half, but it should have been 15-7. 

And then HOU came out and scored a FG to start the 2H, which should have made it 20-7 or at least 18-7. 

HOU even had a punt blocked at their own 10 yard line, which resulted in 7 for the Colts and let them back in the game while the offense was stalling.

HOU managed to overcome a lot of things happening (basically a 12 pt swing).  I don't think that game was really all that close, but even if I did, the Colts certainly didn't give one away. The Texans won that game by being the better team and executing when it mattered.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chad72 said:

Agree.

Texans spotted 12 pts, including the blocked punt that turned into an easy TD. 

Colts spotted 9 pts, assuming they score a TD on that drive that ended in an INT.

The Colts actually benefited in this hindsight exercise, but still lost by 2 pts.

And I would say, given the time of that blocked punt, that created far momentum than a missed 2 pt conversion could possibly cancel out. HOU flips the field there and who knows what happens. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I agree and said the same in the post game reaction thread. Conventional wisdom used to be to not go chasing the points until around midway through the 4th quarter.  This changed when coaches started leaning more on analytics.  

Yes, had they made it the game would have been tied.  But had they just taken the PAT then it's still a 1 score game at the end.  No added pressure from needing 2 scores. 

• Like 1