Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Tracking Colts releases at cutdown

CR91

23 minutes ago, Colts.sb41 said:

I agree but I admit I haven’t followed him at all since we traded him. Assuming he hasn’t regressed at all he could at least be a number 3 or 4 corner here don’t you think?

I think he's #4 on our depth chart... But that's including Kenny Moore. He's an upgrade if an injury to our outside corners, which is likely given the very short history.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

Yeah, that is very concerning. I’d love to see him make it through the entire season.

it's paradoxical because what's supposed to make him special won't be possible if he can't stay on the field. 

something to consider: if AR wasn't a dual threat QB, where would he have been taken?

4 minutes ago, AKB said:

right, so make it out as if I'm a know it all rather than actually engage in the conversation. 

the question was simple, read it as many time as you want. What did Abraham do to warrant getting cut? Especially to be cut as a rookie, in the worse DB room in the league. 

And if it doesn't work out, and we end up 29th in passing, let me guess. It's Gus bradleys fault huh ?

What CB that was kept did he out perform?

Like I said, you act like you were at every practice, meeting and game and think you know more than Ballard and the coaching staff. News flash....you don't.

Just now, AKB said:

it's paradoxical because what's supposed to make him special won't be possible if he can't stay on the field. 

something to consider: if AR wasn't a dual threat QB, where would he have been taken?

That’s why I favor the field general pocket passer type. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

What CB that was kept did he out perform?

Like I said, you act like you were at every practice, meeting and game and think you know more than Ballard and the coaching staff. News flash....you don't.

i don't act like anything, and what I'm saying isn't even provocative or really boundary-pushing. 

The only logical answer is they think they can resign him to the practice squad. but nice, thanks for another post stating that someone's opinion is their opinion. without really adding any value to the post, basically, just tr ying to degrade me as posting random-thought without any logic. if that's the case, why even quote me? 

i don't know it all, I don't know everything,. but what I'm asking is a legitimate question, but clearly, you were not interested in a legitimate conversation, just to take a shot at me. which you can do all you want, but not sure what value it adds to the thread. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AKB said:

so im assuming the plan is to resign the draft picks to practice squad right ?

just seems odd to cut so many draft picks like that. 

The Colts drafted 12 players last year, 9 this year.  I think getting 21 players in two drafts created a bit of a log jam.  It’s like having three drafts in two years.  So I think some of this was expected internally.   

The fans might be surprised, I just don’t think the Colts are. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, AKB said:

i don't act like anything, and what I'm saying isn't even provocative or really boundary-pushing. 

The only logical answer is they think they can resign him to the practice squad. but nice, thanks for another post stating that someone's opinion is their opinion. without really adding any value to the post, basically, just tr ying to degrade me as posting random-thought without any logic. if that's the case, why even quote me? 

i don't know it all, I don't know everything,. but what I'm asking is a legitimate question, but clearly, you were not interested in a legitimate conversation, just to take a shot at me. which you can do all you want, but not sure what value it adds to the thread. 

No shots here. 

I think the justification was exactly what you wrote, he's going to end up on their PS. They were intrigued by him, and he made one big play that we all saw, but I didn't see much otherwise. He's a small corner that fits more at the nickelback, and we already have one exclusive to that position. It's apparent to me that only keeping 5 says they have their eyes peeled for adding to the room, and need more versatility on the depth chart. I don't think he did anything to jump anybody. I can imagine they have an entire analysis that shows that he's more valuable on the PS, and worth the risk of losing him (probably unlikely). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts drafted 12 players last year, 9 this year.  I think getting 21 players in two drafts created a bit of a log jam.  It’s like having three drafts in two years.  So I think some of this was expected internally.   

Exactly. For a team that retained so many players, and dabbled in free agency, they knew full well that they were throwing a lot of darts in the draft the last few years... and that's exactly the strategy. See if any hit bullseye. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

yes i agree with you. of course it has worked in the past right, I mean we've gotten guys like Zaire from Ballard bargin bin hunting. So there is an argument to be made for increasing your chances by multiplying it due to quantity. But there's also another side of the coin that says if your chances decrease the farther you go down, then go up. And plenty of GMs have utilized this strategy with success. And sure ballard has had success trading down, especially in the later rounds. But to trade down, find what appears to be an average rookie, who played well for a 6th rounder, then to just cut him, plus another 5th and 7th is confusing. Remove ballard entirely from the conversation and it's still interesting at least, and questionable at most. 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

No shots here. 

I think the justification was exactly what you wrote, he's going to end up on their PS. They were intrigued by him, and he made one big play that we all saw, but I didn't see much otherwise. He's a small corner that fits more at the nickelback, and we already have one exclusive to that position. It's apparent to me that only keeping 5 says they have their eyes peeled for adding to the room, and need more versatility on the depth chart. I don't think he did anything to jump anybody. I can imagine they have an entire analysis that shows that he's more valuable on the PS, and worth the risk of losing him (probably unlikely). 

all good points, did we keep Lammons - I don't think we did, and so in my opinion, yes opinion he could've easily sat behind kenny for a year or two and developed. 

Just now, AKB said:

yes i agree with you. of course it has worked in the past right, I mean we've gotten guys like Zaire from Ballard bargin bin hunting. So there is an argument to be made for increasing your chances by multiplying it due to quantity. But there's also another side of the coin that says if your chances decrease the farther you go down, then go up. And plenty of GMs have utilized this strategy with success. And sure ballard has had success trading down, especially in the later rounds. But to trade down, find what appears to be an average rookie, who played well for a 6th rounder, then to just cut him, plus another 5th and 7th is confusing. Remove ballard entirely from the conversation and it's still interesting at least, and questionable at most. 

He's probably traded up in the draft more than you think and certainly more than you are crediting...

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He's probably traded up in the draft more than you think and certainly more than you are crediting...

im not ignorant to his attempts of trading up. what he tried this season was massive. 

1 minute ago, AKB said:

all good points, did we keep Lammons - I don't think we did, and so in my opinion, yes opinion he could've easily sat behind kenny for a year or two and developed. 

... But that's exactly what he'll be doing if he's on the PS, correct? I don't think we need another development piece in that room on the depth chart. Put him in the practice squad and let him develop. We need better quality. We're all sitting on this forum pounding the table for better secondary. He wasn't it. He could be in a few years, but he's wasted space on the active roster for a team that needs upgrade. He was not an upgrade.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AKB said:

I asked you a question and you skirted it to play the victim. 

What CB did he outplay that should have been cut instead of him?

Just now, AKB said:

im not ignorant to his attempts of trading up. what he tried this season was massive. 

First round is one thing. But I'm referring to mid round trade-ups. He's done plenty and has had success. He's not always looking to trade down for value... He's made moves up and given draft capital for certain players.

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

I asked you a question and you skirted it to play the victim. 

What CB did he outplay that should have been cut instead of him?

i didn't ever say he outplayed anyone, so that's why I didn't acknowledge you force feeding words into my mouth. i said he did nothing to deserve being cut. that's what I said. again, the words are above and you can reread as many times as you need to understand. 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

First round is one thing. But I'm referring to mid round trade-ups. He's done plenty and has had success. He's not always looking to trade down for value... He's made moves up and given draft capital for certain players.

sure, but this is a bit misleading because the total trend has been trade-down. 

1 minute ago, AKB said:

sure, but this is a bit misleading because the total trend has been trade-down. 

It's not meant to be anything other than stating a fact. He's traded up for specific players like you referred to other GM's having success. JT, Cross, Blackmon are just a few that come to quick mind. When they have a player they like, they go up and get them. But yes, their overall strategy is to acquire value (pick wise) through trade-downs, and he's been successful with that too... 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AKB said:

alright so if Sam wasn't released, and according to about 7/10 on here Sammy is trash, wait, sorry let's not use that word. Sammy is not good, and is physically limited etc... why is he on the roster?

is he better than what the majority of this board believes?

or is Ballard playing favorites to his own draft picks again?

which one? 

Sam may be physically limited, but he’s mentally elite.   When he was drafted they said he was a “blue card” player signifying elite traits.  His are between the ears.   He was a winner in college at a big time program without elite physical tools. Because he’s viewed as a winner and leader. 

He’s a 3rd string guy.  Maybe Steichen likes him?  I don’t see Ballard forcing Steichen to accept a QB he doesn’t want so he can protect the guys he’s drafted.  Don’t know why anyone would think Ballard would be so insecure?  

It's not meant to be anything other than stating a fact. He's traded up for specific players like you referred to other GM's having success. JT, Cross, Blackmon are just a few that come to quick mind. When they have a player they like, they go up and get them. But yes, their overall strategy is to acquire value (pick wise) through trade-downs, and he's been successful with that too... 

Matt Ryan threw a couple deep passes, but we aren't gonna sit here and define his year with us a deep passer, are we?

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Sam may be physically limited, but he’s mentally elite.   When he was drafted they said he was a “blue card” player signifying elite traits.  His are between the ears.   He was a winner in college at a big time program without elite physical tools. Because he’s viewed as a winner and leader. 

He’s a 3rd string guy.  Maybe Steichen likes him?  I don’t see Ballard forcing Steichen to accept a QB he doesn’t want so he can protect the guys he’s drafted.  Don’t know why anyone would think Ballard would be so insecure?  

im not arguing it either way NCF. I'm asking posters on here to either eat their cake, or put it away . some say he's trash, but also say ballard knows better than anyone on the forum. 

so it just doesn't make sense that he's bad, and ballard is right. they can't have both. 

Just now, AKB said:

Matt Ryan threw a couple deep passes, but we aren't gonna sit here and define his year with us a deep passer, are we?

Did he? I don't know what Matt Ryan has to do with Ballard's drafting philosophy, but if we're betting on if AR wins more games than Matt did in 2022, I'd probably go against my aversion to gambling and do it...

Did he? I don't know what Matt Ryan has to do with Ballard's drafting philosophy, but if we're betting on if AR wins more games than Matt did in 2022, I'd probably go against my aversion to gambling and do it...

it's an analogy.

For those mad we cut late round picks, we have a strong roster which makes it hard to get a spot on the 53 man roster. So we will release a couple players that we think should make the roster. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Oh... I didn't know.

im saying just ebcause Matt ryan threw a couple 40 yard passes doesnt mean he was a deep passing QB for us. that's what I'm saying. so the few times we've seen ballard deviate, doesn't define his tenure. i guess that's my point without the analogy. 

1 hour ago, DavePSL said:

Another thing that really concerns me about the secondary is that if they can't cover and we play them off because we dont trust them it will negate the entire "Great pass rush" that we hope to have. I can see us having better pass rushers this year but having a lot less sacks because of our "young secondary " and that will be very disappointing considering anybody that has any knowledge about football understands that a pass rush and secondary work together when it comes to disrupting and getting pressure on the QB.

You have it backwards.

Simply, our better pass rush will allow for tighter coverage.

46 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be willing to pick up RYS again.  I think he'd give Darrell Baker a run for his money, at any rate.  And he has more starting experience than everyone but Kenny.  I'd be ok with it.

• Like 1

Just now, Zoltan said:

For those mad we cut late round picks, we have a strong roster which makes it hard to get a spot on the 53 man roster. So we will release a couple players that we think should make the roster. 

im not necessarily, mad, i just want to discuss it. and people seem to think that anything said that isn't glazing ballard is anger or hate. it's odd, especially for ballard. it's out of character. NCF is right in that the quantity has been high the last 2 years, and if you combine that with a competitive roster, you'd think it was a good thing.

but CB is our worst position group, and that must be considered. Right. we aren't talking about why Evan Hull got cut.  We aren't talking about Eric Johson, it's corner. our worst position. which makes it at least worth discussing. 

• Like 1

Just now, AKB said:

im saying just ebcause Matt ryan threw a couple 40 yard passes doesnt mean he was a deep passing QB for us. that's what I'm saying. so the few times we've seen ballard deviate, doesn't define his tenure. i guess that's my point without the analogy. 

I was joking. I understood, and made a funny back at you for it. I thought I made it clear that it's not his overall drafting philosophy, which is obviously to acquire more picks and have more "darts for the dartboard." But I still say he's done it far more than you credit him for. They just traded up this year for Goncalves in the 3rd. Of course he isn't going to move up every round. He wants bodies and further evaluation to see what guys can do at this level. He's landed some good talent by moving up though, so we could see more of it moving forward. Obviously this year he was swinging big. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I was joking. I understood, and made a funny back at you for it. I thought I made it clear that it's not his overall drafting philosophy, which is obviously to acquire more picks and have more "darts for the dartboard." But I still say he's done it far more than you credit him for. They just traded up this year for Goncalves in the 3rd. Of course he isn't going to move up every round. He wants bodies and further evaluation to see what guys can do at this level. He's landed some good talent by moving up though, so we could see more of it moving forward. Obviously this year he was swinging big. 

these are good points. i;'m not advocating for him to stop trading down, but when you look at the circumstances its out of character for him to be cutting that many picks, and interesting consider ing most of our draft picks stay for at least 2 years , I mean we've had competitive rosters before and kept Ben Banagou. 

i was just on here saying yesterday, and even today how he hoards his own players he drafted. its definitely OOC for him,. 

3 minutes ago, AKB said:

but CB is our worst position group, and that must be considered. Right. we aren't talking about why Evan Hull got cut.  We aren't talking about Eric Johson, it's corner. our worst position. which makes it at least worth discussing. 

I consider it. And the thing that makes most sense is putting a guy or two on the practice squad to try and develop while trying to upgrade the active roster. I don't like the 5 we've got. We need an upgrade somewhere towards the top. 

• Like 1

I consider it. And the thing that makes most sense is putting a guy or two on the practice squad to try and develop while trying to upgrade the active roster. I don't like the 5 we've got. We need an upgrade somewhere towards the top. 

and you aren't wrong, because like i said to cdga he might not have won a spot, but he didn't really do anything to be cut either. 

Just now, AKB said:

these are good points. i;'m not advocating for him to stop trading down, but when you look at the circumstances its out of character, and interesting consider ing most of our draft picks stay for at least 2 years , I mean we've had competitive rosters before and kept Ben Banagou. 

i was just on here saying yesterday, and even today how he hoards his own players he drafted. its definitely OOC for him,. 

I get it. Unless they have strong evidence to show those guys are still going to be hoarded on the practice squad. They just don't have room for them. Looking across the board, there isn't much wiggle room. They would essentially be letting go of a better player elsewhere to keep them at 6 on the depth chart, when they need upgrades (and should get one) at 3-5, imo. 

I get it. Unless they have strong evidence to show those guys are still going to be hoarded on the practice squad. They just don't have room for them. Looking across the board, there isn't much wiggle room. They would essentially be letting go of a better player elsewhere to keep them at 6 on the depth chart, when they need upgrades (and should get one) at 3-5, imo. 

Tayven Bryan is an obvious candidate to be cut, pinter too. 

Just now, AKB said:

Tayven Bryan is an obvious candidate to be cut, pinter too. 

Possibly. It's more about timing with those guys though. I would prefer them to pull a trade for a starting caliber corner and cut one of those guys, while some of these rookies get placed on the practice squad. There is strategy to it, no doubt. 

Possibly. It's more about timing with those guys though. I would prefer them to pull a trade for a starting caliber corner and cut one of those guys, while some of these rookies get placed on the practice squad. There is strategy to it, no doubt. 

you make good points sir  - of course there is strategy right, like of course they sat down and discussed and made the decision they think is best for the team. that's without question, because they're internally and externally motivated for the team to succeed. 

but it's interesting, it certainly is, especially if Baker Jr plays like he did any other time he saw the field in a REAL game, not practice. 

• Like 1

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

Bryan being cut wouldn’t break my heart. It would be nice to find an upgrade on the waiver.

if Raekwon wasn't having issues id bet Bryan would be on that list

• Like 2