Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts after 1st Live Action

CR91

45 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I hope. Most teams don't play starters the last game. You don't want guys who are not expected to make an NFL team to take a shot at your QB in that last game.

He won’t play the last game.  If he plays the other starters have to play on offense and that’s just not going to happen.

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

He won’t play the last game.  If he plays the other starters have to play on offense and that’s just not going to happen.

go back to last year. It’s all we have for reference… This isn’t the standard 4 week preseason/16 regular season games any more. Joint practices have led to zero starters in preseason, for a number of teams… 

I tried like crazy to be able to watch the game.  I was setting up my TV service for the local college kids heading out to their schools 

My brief 2 cents    Yea the starters were rusty.  Happens all the time.   The D hasn't been able to hit anyone.

Flacco is good.     Very good      I love a QB that has seen it all   ( Rivers is one of my fav's ).  

God Forbid AR goes down.  We have a solid backup 

If you dont agree then ..... well I don't want to have beers with you 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

@NFLfan

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap/_/gameId/401547664

For second-year Bears coach Matt Eberflus, it was his first preseason loss and it came in game neither of the expected headliners — Richardson, the fourth overall pick in April's draft, or Justin Fields, the Bears starting quarterback — played. Most of the starters for both teams also sat out after the teams held two joint practices in central Indiana earlier this week.

I get that. Thanks for the article. I still don't think the Colts should wait for the last game for the "dress rehearsal", but I am not the coach. The coach knows what is best for his team. But I would be concerned that the opponent would be playing guys who are playing for their NFL lives and may go all out against Colts starters.

It looks like the Richardson excuses are starting already. He needs more game reps and I don’t care if they are against the 2nd team. That’s the only way to find out if he will be able to read the field. A lot of qb’s have physical tools, the make or break is above the shoulders. I have said it before, I hope he gets it, but I haven’t seen it yet.

i still don’t like granson, he is too short for a te. I like all the other colt te’s much better.

i have been saying for years, can the colts get a big fast lb that can shed a block and take down a back! Using low draft picks for a lb get you one of the two not both.

the wr’s, ol, dl(except another BIG tackle), and secondary (if they would play more press coverage) are fine.

signing Flacco was the best thing the colts did! If Richardson gets hurt again, I am confident the colts will do fine with him at qb.

• Like 5

Just now, NFLfan said:

I get that. Thanks for the article. I still don't think the Colts should wait for the last game for the "dress rehearsal", but I am not the coach. The coach knows what is best for his team. But I would be concerned that the opponent would be playing guys who are playing for their NFL lives and may go all out against Colts starters.

I don’t know how to feel about preseason at all. Watching Peyton and how they operated with preseason over to the Luck years… it was never about the starters. The players hate preseason. So I feel like there is a lot of things they have to juggle. Getting some some reps in while protecting their starters, figuring out how to group players for best evaluation purposes, satisfying the fans that go to the game (although probably impossible-), and getting as much out of it as possible. But the players that have influence hate it. They are meaningless games to a lot of players. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, husker61 said:

It looks like the Richardson excuses are starting already. He needs more game reps and I don’t care if they are against the 2nd team. That’s the only way to find out if he will be able to read the field. A lot of qb’s have physical tools, the make or break is above the shoulders. I have said it before, I hope he gets it, but I haven’t seen it yet.

what excuses are you talking about? It doesn’t really matter if he can read the field and show it in a preseason game… he’s going to be starting week 1. So what excuses have people made here for AR?

53 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I’m in the minority.  I think Gus’s defense can be very effective with the right players.    I think we’re close actually.  They made a conscientious decision to go with young players in the secondary.  That’s our Achilles heel right now.  If they can make the big jump this year they should be fine.  I’m worried that they won’t.  Gilmore made a huge difference two year’s ago.  Then he left.  We will see what happens now that they have seen our secondary perform today.  I’m hoping we acquire a more experienced secondary player somehow.  If they do I think Gus’s defense will show out.  

Do you like his scheme or him and his play calling? I don’t mind a cover 3 base at all nor a zone heavy defense. I prefer a more man heavy secondary but that is quite expensive to maintain because physical fast good DB’s don’t fall off of trees so when you get them you pay. However for a good cover 3 system to work you trade needing top end corners for needing a higher end free safety and even with Blackmon I’m not sure we have that.

I dislike Bradley because of when he calls coverages. Jesus he needs to teach his guys to be aware of where the first down marker is because there is no reason a db should be giving a 5 yard cushion past where the first down marker is. I also think he needs to do a better job of understanding who he’s playing against. I.E running a ton of zone against Matt Stafford is asinine but not running more complex zone coverages against younger QB’s where you can take advantage of them is dumb. I get the philosophy of don’t blitz and let your D line take care of the pressure but how a well timed blitz can wreck an offense should be considered far more frequently.

Also don’t get me started on his personnel choices. The benching of Rodger’s for Fayscon still chaps my *. He’s stubborn in play calling and personnel. Heck writing this I’m having flash backs to the Minnesota game and it’s ticking me off anymore lol. Heck he couldn’t execute a successful defense against freaking P.J walker. If talent is such a big issue then he oughta make a lot more noise on who he wants. Ballard has shown to listen to his coaches so I don’t believe it’s Ballard who’s super stubborn it’s gotta be Gus. 

His mediocrity has been apparent at all his stops aside from Seattle, but did he have more to do with the success or the talent they had on that roster? Sorry for the long rant lol

• Like 3

The guardian caps basically look like a regular helmet that was overcooked.

regarding QB3, I don’t see why Ehlinger doesn’t keep that spot. Didn’t really see anything amazing from the other 2 qb’s…plus Sam know the entirety of the playbook and has been around for years…don’t see that changing unless one of these other 2 QB’s show some amazing upside that could be starter quality. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t know how to feel about preseason at all. Watching Peyton and how they operated with preseason over to the Luck years… it was never about the starters. The players hate preseason. So I feel like there is a lot of things they have to juggle. Getting some some reps in while protecting their starters, figuring out how to group players for best evaluation purposes, satisfying the fans that go to the game (although probably impossible-), and getting as much out of it as possible. But the players that have influence hate it. They are meaningless games to a lot of players. 

this is absolutely correct with veteran players, but not with young players learning how play at a nfl level.

15 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

regarding QB3, I don’t see why Ehlinger doesn’t keep that spot. Didn’t really see anything amazing from the other 2 qb’s…plus Sam know the entirety of the playbook and has been around for years…don’t see that changing unless one of these other 2 QB’s show some amazing upside that could be starter quality. 

I have no idea why they have those 2 qb’s in camp taking any time from the top 3! 

6 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I thought he got held a couple time after he beat the tackle. Vets get those call, he may have to wait a bit.

Yes. He got held BIG TIME on the interception    Hopefully Shane is in the ears of the refs to watch it 

59 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I tried like crazy to be able to watch the game.  I was setting up my TV service for the local college kids heading out to their schools 

My brief 2 cents    Yea the starters were rusty.  Happens all the time.   The D hasn't been able to hit anyone.

Flacco is good.     Very good      I love a QB that has seen it all   ( Rivers is one of my fav's ).  

God Forbid AR goes down.  We have a solid backup 

If you dont agree then ..... well I don't want to have beers with you 

lol but that’s the only rule we Hoosiers have: we’ll have a beer with anyone!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, husker61 said:

this is absolutely correct with veteran players, but not with young players learning how play at a nfl level.

That's why I don't know how to feel about them. I think they have some importance. They can help a player get comfortable and learn some, but I am willing to admit that I don't know how much impact they have on development. Some on here think they have a lot of impact. I just don't know that I see that. Let's be honest, the preseason games are mostly for evaluation purposes during training camp for roster building... Anyone that thinks otherwise is falling for the sales pitch that is the NFL marketing. They package preseason games in season tickets at face value and try and sell tickets to these like they are real games... In your own post, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you need to see more from him in the preseason to feel comfortable with him as the starting qb. My response to that ( and I'm not intending on being disrespectful at all with this) is that your feeling really doesn't matter. He can look like crap this preseason, and he's still the starting qb week 1 until full meltdown mode occurs. I just don't see preseason being a developmental tool like some do on here. Especially at the qb position. What is AR going to learn in a few more drives against 2nd string players more than what he has on film from last year, what he (hopefully) learned while sitting out during the season, and what his practice tape this offseason/training camp shows? I just don't see it. 

32 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

NFL teams often have at least 4 QBs during training camp. Injuries can and will happen. It’s always a good idea to be prepared. 

2 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think some people forget how little experience Richardson has. He had I think 15 games in college and started 4 games last year, getting injured early in 2 of them. It’s unfair to compare him to Stroud imo, as AR was developmental/traits QB when we drafted him. I think we need to take the good with the bad with him during the season and hope we see improvement through to 2025. But I’m not worried about him.

I am. I’m hoping this year he puts those concerns to rest.

34 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I have no idea why they have those 2 qb’s in camp taking any time from the top 3! 

slovis and Bean both had spurts of good play. I wouldn’t say Ellinger is a lock for that 3rd spot.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

That's why I don't know how to feel about them. I think they have some importance. They can help a player get comfortable and learn some, but I am willing to admit that I don't know how much impact they have on development. Some on here think they have a lot of impact. I just don't know that I see that. Let's be honest, the preseason games are mostly for evaluation purposes during training camp for roster building... Anyone that thinks otherwise is falling for the sales pitch that is the NFL marketing. They package preseason games in season tickets at face value and try and sell tickets to these like they are real games... In your own post, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you need to see more from him in the preseason to feel comfortable with him as the starting qb. My response to that ( and I'm not intending on being disrespectful at all with this) is that your feeling really doesn't matter. He can look like crap this preseason, and he's still the starting qb week 1 until full meltdown mode occurs. I just don't see preseason being a developmental tool like some do on here. Especially at the qb position. What is AR going to learn in a few more drives against 2nd string players more than what he has on film from last year, what he (hopefully) learned while sitting out during the season, and what his practice tape this offseason/training camp shows? I just don't see it. 

richardson played one year in college and a couple games in the nfl. He needs reps agains nfl players in my opinion.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, husker61 said:

richardson played one year in college and a couple games in the nfl. He needs reps agains nfl players in my opinion.

I don't dispute he needs reps. I just wonder what the risk/reward is in the preseason. They have analysts working behind the scenes for everything... I would think the risk analysis has been done. 

Also- I actually want to know IF they were 2nd stringers on Flacco's first drive. I never verified and I don't know that anyone here did, I just know it was said at one point is was on here... Regardless, I guess, the commentators announced at the beginning that Richardson and company were going to get 1... maybe 2 drives. So perhaps was predetermined and they stayed on course.

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't dispute he needs reps. I just wonder what the risk/reward is in the preseason. They have analysts working behind the scenes for everything... I would think the risk analysis has been done. 

Also- I actually want to know IF they were 2nd stringers on Flacco's first drive. I never verified and I don't know that anyone here did, I just know it was said at one point is was on here... Regardless, I guess, the commentators announced at the beginning that Richardson and company were going to get 1... maybe 2 drives. So perhaps was predetermined and they stayed on course.

I believe the 2nd string offense was in with Flacco. But I'm not 100% sure, I plan to watch the game again tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Or are you asking if it was the Denver 2nd string defense on the field with Flacco?

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Or are you asking if it was the Denver 2nd string defense on the field with Flacco?

Yeah I'm asking if the starters actually came out at the same time we pulled Richardson. Flacco's first series, the short field one that people on here would have liked AR to have another series on, was it 2nd string players on defense?

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes they were.  All the starters came out with Richardson.

I'm pulling tape back up. Had to settle some kids for the night.

23 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes they were.  All the starters came out with Richardson.

SLB #0 Jonathan Cooper (Starter) playing end in 4 man front

Defensive Tackle #90 Angelo Blackson (DE2) 

Nose Tackle #97 Malcolm Roach (DT2) 

WLB #5 Baron Browning (Starter) playing end in 4 man front

ILB #49 Alex Singleton (Starter who put pressure first series on AR) 

ILB #55 Cody Barton (competing with Jonas Griffith for starting spot- Both listed as starters "or")

LCB #27 Damarri Mathis (Competing for starting spot opposite of Surtain) 

RCB #21 Riley Moss (competing for starting spot with Mathis... both listed as starters "or") 

NCB #29 Ja'Quan McMillian (Starting Nickel)

S #6 PJ Locke (Starter) 

S #26 Devon Key (2nd team)

They essentially pulled Franklin-Myers and Zach Allen at defensive end, moved their outside linebackers down to a 4 man front with backups at tackle, pulled Surtain and Jones to get the guys competing for starting positions on the depth chart. 

So essentially, they were not 2nd string guys, they were key rotational pieces and/or competing for starting spots minus two defensive backs. Interesting. Very predetermined to pull the starting offense.

On Ehlinger's first series, the same defensive secondary was in and they swapped out front 7. Much of the Broncos starting offense played the first series with Nix in against a lot of 2nd's for us. I didn't really pay attention to that, because I didn't really know much about the Broncos and wasn't focusing too much on their players aside from Nix. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

SLB #0 Jonathan Cooper (Starter) playing end in 4 man front

Defensive Tackle #90 Angelo Blackson (DE2) 

Nose Tackle #97 Malcolm Roach (DT2) 

WLB #5 Baron Browning (Starter) playing end in 4 man front

ILB #49 Alex Singleton (Starter who put pressure first series on AR) 

ILB #55 Cody Barton (competing with Jonas Griffith for starting spot- Both listed as starters "or")

LCB #27 Damarri Mathis (Competing for starting spot opposite of Surtain) 

RCB #21 Riley Moss (competing for starting spot with Mathis... both listed as starters "or") 

NCB #29 Ja'Quan McMillian (Starting Nickel)

S #6 PJ Locke (Starter) 

S #26 Devon Key (2nd team)

They essentially pulled Franklin-Myers and Zach Allen at defensive end, moved their outside linebackers down to a 4 man front with backups at tackle, pulled Surtain and Jones to get the guys competing for starting positions on the depth chart. 

So essentially, they were not 2nd string guys, they were key rotational pieces and/or competing for starting spots minus two defensive backs. Interesting. Very predetermined to pull the starting offense.

On Ehlinger's first series, the same defensive secondary was in and they swapped out front 7. Much of the Broncos starting offense played the first series with Nix in against a lot of 2nd's for us. I didn't really pay attention to that, because I didn't really know much about the Broncos and wasn't focusing too much on their players aside from Nix. 

I was talking about the Colts starters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I was talking about the Colts starters.

I see that now. I meant defense. I wanted to know who was on defense when we pulled starters. They only swapped a couple players, shifted it a bit to get their starting competition at Inside linebacker and cornerback out together, and replaced one safety. 

I think Flacco will be fine backup as long as the O-line can protect him.

The problem is, our line has been known to struggle, when the defense uses blitz and stunts against them.

And as the announcer pointed out, in the Broncos game, once Flacco comes in, the Colts have to adjust their playbook significantly. throwing out all the RPO plays, etc. As he put it, "the Colts have to go back to regular NFL scheme"

With that in mind, I did like what I saw from Bean. I still like Sam Ehlinger and expect he will end up our 3rd stringer,  but I wonder, since Bean was drafted first overall in the 2024 UFL draft by the Memphis Showboats. if that would effect us being able to sign him to our practice squad? Or would he go to the UFL instead? Should Bean continue to impress, could he end up making the final roster?

2 hours ago, twfish said:

Do you like his scheme or him and his play calling? I don’t mind a cover 3 base at all nor a zone heavy defense. I prefer a more man heavy secondary but that is quite expensive to maintain because physical fast good DB’s don’t fall off of trees so when you get them you pay. However for a good cover 3 system to work you trade needing top end corners for needing a higher end free safety and even with Blackmon I’m not sure we have that.

I dislike Bradley because of when he calls coverages. Jesus he needs to teach his guys to be aware of where the first down marker is because there is no reason a db should be giving a 5 yard cushion past where the first down marker is. I also think he needs to do a better job of understanding who he’s playing against. I.E running a ton of zone against Matt Stafford is asinine but not running more complex zone coverages against younger QB’s where you can take advantage of them is dumb. I get the philosophy of don’t blitz and let your D line take care of the pressure but how a well timed blitz can wreck an offense should be considered far more frequently.

Also don’t get me started on his personnel choices. The benching of Rodger’s for Fayscon still chaps my *. He’s stubborn in play calling and personnel. Heck writing this I’m having flash backs to the Minnesota game and it’s ticking me off anymore lol. Heck he couldn’t execute a successful defense against freaking P.J walker. If talent is such a big issue then he oughta make a lot more noise on who he wants. Ballard has shown to listen to his coaches so I don’t believe it’s Ballard who’s super stubborn it’s gotta be Gus. 

His mediocrity has been apparent at all his stops aside from Seattle, but did he have more to do with the success or the talent they had on that roster? Sorry for the long rant lol

I think this is one of the better posts breaking down the issues with Bardley. 

I guess the way I see it is this. Bradleys defense is designed pretty much to be middle of the pack. Right? I mean that's what it is in essence. A bend but don't break defense, that can capitalize playing vs a team trying to catch up score wise. The idea is that you get 8 men who can play on the line (we have), and you get some average lengthy corners who can press and play zone. 

there's an argument to be made in defense of balalrd that we are pretty close to having completed that requirement. Brents is probably cb1 once he gets some play time. Moore is the best slot corner in football. (we are missing the other outside corner, and depth)

You need a SS that can play in the box, and who can also cover athletic TEs. (maybe cross?)

And you need a savvy, FS with speed and ball skills ( we have a SS playing FS)

so if his defense could manage holding teams to  around 16th (passing yards allowed) in league, then technically he's at least doing what the defense is designed to do.

what are ur thoughts on this twifish

Didn’t take long for all the forum experts to figure AR out in 2 drives of the first preseason game. We may as well start scouting the QBs in the draft next year right? ..

AR will be fine, and will play better each time he goes out. Everyone needs to just relax, all that negativity is gonna be hard to carry for 19 more games. Let all enjoy the ride!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

Didn’t take long for all the forum experts to figure AR out in 2 drives of the first preseason game. We may as well start scouting the QBs in the draft next year right? ..

AR will be fine, and will play better each time he goes out. Everyone needs to just relax, all that negativity is gonna be hard to carry for 19 more games. Let all enjoy the ride!

AR will be fine. who remembers what Luck looked like when he returned? it took him time to return to form. he's 300 days removed from football, plus the surgery on throwing shoulder

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

I am not worried about AR.  He looked rusty but that’s to be expected and nothing to worry about.

I thought the team looked fine.

Ant needs some time to shake the rust off. He was way late on that Granson pass, he was running free across the field and couldve picked up that first easy. He will see it in the film and correct it. 

Latu is gonna be really good. This year. 

I do think we need a move in the secondary but I wonder if we dont need a corner more than a safety. I personally would go get a corner (Surtain please!) and move Jaylon Jones to FS where his speed isnt as big of a deal. Isnt a bad corner but I think he could be a fantastic safety. 

Finally got to watch the game after recording it.

Good:  

- Latu is the real deal.  So unfortunate that we lost Ebukam for the year but the blessing in disguise is that Latu will start.  I’m so convinced that Latu is going to have a good year, I’ve placed a bet for him to win DROTY.  Can’t wait to see what our line looks like with Paye, Buck, and Stewart

- Franklin looks to have improved his pass coverage.  If he can do that all year, that would help our defense out tremendously.

- Kenny Moore looked very good.  Good coverage and great tackling.  
- Abraham with the strip and return for a TD!  Great play by the rook and I’m pretty sure he has solidified his spot on this team

- We have a good problem when it comes to RBs.  I’m not sure who’s going to make the team but our RB group will be deep regardless.

- We also have a good problem with our tight end group.  Really hope Mallory stays healthy.  

- Lewis was flashing this game as well.  Another player that needs to stay healthy

Meh/Solid:

- AR looked like a player who hasn’t played a game of football in 300 days.  He made some smart decisions.  He had some bad throws also.  Same thing as last year, he needs the reps.  I’m in the agreement with people who believe that AR should play significant time this preseason.  This team will go as AR goes, and we need him to be ready week 1 for probably the most important game of the year.

- Cross has faced some flak on this board, but he actually played solid.  I know he gave up that TD but I blame that on flowers.  Cross actually tried to communicate to flowers to switch after identifying the play and I put that TD on Flowers not listening.  

Bad:

- Dallas Flowers looked HORRIBLE!  Getting picked on in a preseason game is hilarious.  He’s not making the team.

- CB depth:  I am scared if we suffer an injury to our starters because our depth is looking very shaky.  Ballard might’ve saved himself some time regarding the SS/FS positions but we need some CB depth bad!  I’m ok with going into this year with Brents, Moore, and jones starting but if one of them get hurt we’re doomed.

- Gus Bradley:  this defense showed what it could look like if it has a consistent pass rush, but man when that pass rush isn’t there this defense looks bad!  
- Run Defense:  I’m not as worried about this as others.  We just need to get Stewart and davis in the mix. 
- Good thing we have good OL depth because Freeland doesn’t look good.  Put him back in the lab and have him do nothing but lift weights and practice technique. 

• Like 1