Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will get left out of the tight end room?

twfish

Who gets left out of the TE room?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. One tight end is likely going to have to be cut, which one will it be

• Kylen Granson
    • Jelani Woods
    • Will Mallory
    • Moe Allie-Cox
    • Drew Ogletree

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

It would be typical Colts Luck if after cutting Woods he finally puts it together and thrives somewhere else. Granson, Mo and Ogletree are locks. It’s between Woods and Mallory let’s see who performs better these next two pre season games.

I may be in the minority, but I think some tight end will be stashed on the injured list to push the decision down the road to buy time.  

But I also think of any TE goes, it’s MAC and not any of the young guys.  

On 8/9/2024 at 5:16 PM, Superman said:

They kept five at cutdown, including Woods. Then they put Woods on IR a few days later. The rule was that if a team wanted the option of returning a player from IR at some point during the season, he had to start the regular season on the 53 man roster. Since the team was hoping to activate Woods eventually, they preserved that option by keeping him on the 53 man roster. (That rule has been changed for the 2024 season. Now a player can go on IR prior to the 53 man cutdown, and still have the option of returning from IR later in the season.) 

So technically, they kept four TEs that they expected to be on the active roster, and they used a procedural tactic to keep Woods available for return from IR. But the number we should be expecting is four TEs, not five. IMO. And I think Woods will be one of those four.

I still think Mo Alie Cox is

superfluous

, at best. But I guess Woods and Ogletree have to show that they can adequately replace him. 

All I needed to see to agree with your post.

4 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

I'm cutting the overpaid 31-year-old TE Mo Allie-Cox and saving $6 million in cap space.

Mo is TE1 because no one has stepped up to replace him.  So you don’t cut him unless someone does.  You play your best players.  Right now that looks like Mo. 

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Mo is TE1 because no one has stepped up to replace him.  So you don’t cut him unless someone does.  You play your best players.  Right now that looks like Mo. 

Yep also him and Ogletree are the best blocking TEs. You have to build a balanced roster that helps  the team in both the run and pass game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Cox has been on the Colts since 2017 and still hasn't done anything at the NFL level to mark him as being TE1. He's having a solid camp but we've watched this guy play for six years and even with all the experience he still doesn't have as high of a ceiling as the other and much younger guys do. I still believe the Colts release MAC in 2023 if Jelani Woods doesn't get injured and miss the entire season. Give the younger guys the playing time and reps to allow them to build a connection with AR5. MAC is a sack of dead-weight and he's done nothing to impress me since coming to Indianapolis.

15 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Cox has been on the Colts since 2017 and still hasn't done anything at the NFL level to mark him as being TE1. He's having a solid camp but we've watched this guy play for six years and even with all the experience he still doesn't have as high of a ceiling as the other and much younger guys do. I still believe the Colts release MAC in 2023 if Jelani Woods doesn't get injured and miss the entire season. Give the younger guys the playing time and reps to allow them to build a connection with AR5. MAC is a sack of dead-weight and he's done nothing to impress me since coming to Indianapolis.

6c061.jpg

• Like 2

We all would like it to be MAC, but Jelani has had a 2 year window to surpass MAC and so far nothing.

If you cannot surpass MO (that IMO is not a good player) I don't care about your RAS score, you're in 5th on a five players race

After seeing these 2 preseason games, I’m doubling down on it being Woods if it comes down to it. When Holder is even saying that he hasn’t been good, you know something’s up. Injuries aside he’s in his 3rd year in the NFL. He should be pushing MAC for the starting TE spot.

On 8/17/2024 at 2:03 PM, Dark Superman said:

On 8/17/2024 at 2:19 PM, lester said:

6c061.jpg

Interested Up Close GIF by Buyout Footage