Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp July 27th

A lot of people tearing up the offensive line on social media platforms.

O-Line is much more difficult when no one has pads on. I wouldn’t be too concerned.

• Like 1

Worth mentioning behind the starters most of the depth on the oline is rookies and second year players.  Yeah they will probably struggle for a little.  I’ll worry about the starting unit once real games start and if they struggle.

AR could have the same type of chemistry with Downs as Brady had with Edelman. Downs has a little Edelman in him - almost the same size too. Mitchell looks like a flat-out beast that could easily become star in this league. Pittman is Pittman, always consistently good. We really now have 3 good WR's for a change, Pittman may even be very good this year with his experience. I didn't forget about Pierce either, he can still be a deep threat at times.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Sure feels like we are moving away from him too with this last draft. Handwriting is on the wall for Smith and Kelly. Bortolini/ goncalves are being groomed. 

interesting….  You see Goncalves as the future to replace Smith.   Ultimately, I see conclaves ending up inside.  Perhaps someday to replace Fries.  And maybe even years after that to replace Q. 

I think the player who will ultimately replace Smith will be our first round draft pick in 2025.   Someone who is a better athlete than Goncalves.   

Dont get me wrong, I’m sure Goncalves can and will play some RT this year.  My comments are only referring to long term. 

• Like 4

If our O.Line is even above average this season, we will be dangerous. AR and Taylor in the backfield will be fun to watch. Try stopping that chuckling homer simpson GIF. We have a playoff team but it's a matter of staying healthy that will determine it. I think us and Houston both will get in from the South.

• Like 1

This is honestly the first training camp in awhile where you're not really questioning who the starters will be. Yea FS is up in the air, but unless Cross and Thomas look like absolute dog poop, I don't see any changes coming if Ballard doesn't sign a S. You can also say Flowers and Jones are battling for outside CB2, but other than that it's mostly depth spots up in the air. LB, swing T, backup C and G. TE it seems to be by community, but Granson is the TE1 in the room imo.

• Like 1

Biggest take away I took was how much run with the ones AD is getting already with him and Pierce splitting reps. 

Carlies already in the base set on defense at will 

Harrison in the mix at FS

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

interesting….  You see Goncalves as the future to replace Smith.   Ultimately, I see conclaves ending up inside.  Perhaps someday to replace Fries.  And maybe even years after that to replace Q. 

I think the player who will ultimately replace Smith will be our first round draft pick in 2025.   Someone who is a better athlete than Goncalves.   

Dont get me wrong, I’m sure Goncalves can and will play some RT this year.  My comments are only referring to long term. 

A first round draft pick on a right tackle? And according to most of the " experts"...a high first round draft pick.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I do. And I see it because I see Smith being out for a great part of the year and Goncalves ending up there and showing he’s the better option. I would retain Kelly before I allowed Smith to stay on the roster for another season if he much misses time this season. He is a $3 cap hit if we cut him. Best ability is availability, and he’s disappointed me a lot. I think Fries could take another step this year, so I’m not concerned. I don’t want us to have to use a high draft pick on the o-line next season if we don’t have to. Keep adding to the room in the 3-5 rounds and build it that way. We’ll know soon enough where our obvious holes are to spend draft capital.

yeah he'll probably start inside, but he definitely won't be replacing Q (outside of an injury), and if fries plays well, and doesn't expect a massive payout, chances are he's re-signed for at least 2 years. 

I can see Goncalves as Smith’s replacement. I believe he was both a LT and RT at Pitt, and pretty darn good. Obviously time will tell, and Freeland is in that RT mix as well. But Goncalves replacing Fries? Fries did a nice job last year, so I don’t think he’s an automatic replacement once the rookie gets up to speed. And he’s affordable. He may end up being the keeper rather than Smith. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I can see Goncalves as Smith’s replacement. I believe he was both a LT and RT at Pitt, and pretty darn good. Obviously time will tell, and Freeland is in that RT mix as well. But Goncalves replacing Fries? Fries did a nice job last year, so I don’t think he’s an automatic replacement once the rookie gets up to speed. And he’s affordable. He may end up being the keeper rather than Smith. 

I think he meant as in we don't resign fries after this year. I also think after Kelly leaves Smith is probably next, not due to skill but just cost and replacability. I see Big Q as an all-time Colt, the only way he gets replaced before retiring is an injury. Q can easily play to 32-35 barring injury degradation. 

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

A first round draft pick on a right tackle? And according to most of the " experts"...a high first round draft pick.

Plenty if teams use first round picks on a right tackle.   Smith himself was puck 37, just 5 picks out if the first round.   If you look at this last draft plenty of RT’s were picked in the first.  I think it’s a premium position worthy of a premium pick.   Chicago took a RT at 9 in 23.  

Most “experts” that you always hate have us right in the range of 8-9 and 9-8.   Which expert has the Colts with a worse record and landing a high pick?   I’d be curious. 

Added Note:   In Smiths last year of college,  he made Bruce Feldman’s annual list of freakiest athletes in college.   A combination of speed quickness,  strength.  All at 315 pounds.  I think that’s how Smith has been able to be a good RT even with very short arms. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Read my words again.   I didn’t say Goncalves over Fries this year.  I said in the years to come.  The future.  Not this season.  

58 minutes ago, Hoose said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see Kelly and Smith gone next season. Going to be interesting.

This time last year people were calling Freeland Smith’s replacement.  The result?  Smith was one of the best RT tackles in football while pushing through what probably should have been a season ending injury and some fans have moved on from Freeland to another rookie to replace Smith because he looked like a rookie tackle and struggled a lot.  

just a useful reminder.  I get the excitement over the new players and always wanting to replace a high price player with a younger player.  Let’s just remember there is a reason Smith is highly paid.  Also his knee should be fixed now and while he could have another injury that’s football.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Superman said:

Craziness, IMO. I saw that the other day and it makes me think the Colts are definitely going to sign someone at FS. 

Well Harrison was a S initially coming out of Bama. Let's see how it looks in the pre-season.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Biggest take away I took was how much run with the ones AD is getting already with him and Pierce splitting reps. 

Carlies already in the base set on defense at will 

Harrison in the mix at FS

Has Pierce been getting any separation? Someone mentioned earlier that a defender deflected a pass against Pierce, albeit if it was a good or bad pass. If AP struggles to get open when the ball comes his way, AD will easily pass him on the depth chart! AP could then just be relegated to special teams or blocking assignments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Craziness, IMO. I saw that the other day and it makes me think the Colts are definitely going to sign someone at FS. 

The fact that there has been no noise on this front makes me wonder if there is already a handshake deal in place. Whichever vet, (ahem, hopefully 1 of the two we all want), gets to sit out TC, and the team gets increased minutes to evaluate everyone else. 

I am aware that this is all an imaginary scenario in my head. At the same time, it makes me feel calm, cool, and collected, instead of clamoring for a signing everyday lol. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Read my words again.   I didn’t say Goncalves over Fries this year.  I said in the years to come.  The future.  Not this season.  

You did say someday. I’m not trying to parse words here. Just saying that Fries may not be the one Goncalves replaces. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyEV said:

Has Pierce been getting any separation? Someone mentioned earlier that a defender deflected a pass against Pierce, albeit if it was a good or bad pass. If AP struggles to get open when the ball comes his way, AD will easily pass him on the depth chart! AP could then just be relegated to special teams or blocking assignments.

Pierce has always gotten enough separation.

The problem has been that neither Ryan or Minshew could fire it into his play speed. AR can fire it in and rainbow it in, so we will finally get a look at his total game. 

Of course I have Mitchell as a future top 15 guy so get him trained up ASAP.

6 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I do. And I see it because I see Smith being out for a great part of the year and Goncalves ending up there and showing he’s the better option. I would retain Kelly before I allowed Smith to stay on the roster for another season if he much misses time this season. He is a $3 cap hit if we cut him. Best ability is availability, and he’s disappointed me a lot. I think Fries could take another step this year, so I’m not concerned. I don’t want us to have to use a high draft pick on the o-line next season if we don’t have to. Keep adding to the room in the 3-5 rounds and build it that way. We’ll know soon enough where our obvious holes are to spend draft capital.

Again…. My comments about Goncalves that I’ve written in this thread are a long-term perspective, NOT about this year.  

2025, 2026, 2027 and so in. 

Hope that clarifies. 

6 hours ago, AKB said:

yeah he'll probably start inside, but he definitely won't be replacing Q (outside of an injury), and if fries plays well, and doesn't expect a massive payout, chances are he's re-signed for at least 2 years. 

My comments are long term views, not about this year.   Where might Goncalves play the most in 2025, 2026, and 27?  

Hope this clarifies. 

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

You did say someday. I’m not trying to parse words here. Just saying that Fries may not be the one Goncalves replaces. 

Yes, he might not end up replacing Fries.  And I like Fries.  I’ve often reminded this community that Fries this year graded out in the top-40 percent of all guards.  

I just don’t think Goncalves is athletic enough to be a long-term RT.  I would think the Colts would want someone more skilled, a better athlete, a little longer. 

I would be happy to be wrong.  But I see the Colts 2025 first round pick being the RT that will ultimately replace Smith. 

JMO.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again…. My comments about Goncalves that I’ve written in this thread are a long-term perspective, NOT about this year.  

2025, 2026, 2027 and so in. 

Hope that clarifies. 

as were mine…

My comments are long term views, not about this year.   Where might Goncalves play the most in 2025, 2026, and 27?  

Hope this clarifies. 

hard to say. where will any nfl player be in 2-3 years. not for long

he probably ends up being a swing guard. he could compete for fries within 1-2yrs, but ballard has a record of resigning his draft steals. He likely resigns fries to 2-3 years, even with Goncalves on the roster. And like Hoose said, I don't think he's replacing Fries or Nelson any time soon barring injury. 

2 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Is Carlies playing at linebacker? (apologies if mentioned somewhere else) remember it was said he’d be moving there from safety during the draft

If you go to the locked on podcast which was posted above You will hear about Carlies working as 3rd LB allowing Harrison to work at safety which I’m guessing is his more natural position

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

If you go to the locked on podcast which was posted above You will hear about Carlies working as 3rd LB allowing Harrison to work at safety which I’m guessing is his more natural position

Thanks! Excited to see him in the first pre-season game there.

22 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Defense seems to be having a better day today.

Are they lining Simpson up at LB ?

Edit   Sorry didnt read all the way through

14 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

This time last year people were calling Freeland Smith’s replacement.  The result?  Smith was one of the best RT tackles in football while pushing through what probably should have been a season ending injury and some fans have moved on from Freeland to another rookie to replace Smith because he looked like a rookie tackle and struggled a lot.  

just a useful reminder.  I get the excitement over the new players and always wanting to replace a high price player with a younger player.  Let’s just remember there is a reason Smith is highly paid.  Also his knee should be fixed now and while he could have another injury that’s football.  

The cool thing with Freeland is that he is still adding muscle and learning technique

I think he is quality depth already

Just needs some weight room and NFL coaching 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The cool thing with Freeland is that he is still adding muscle and learning technique

I think he is quality depth already

Just needs some weight room and NFL coaching 

Freeland was far from quality depth last season. And additional weight and strength promise little. Saturdays practice showed that. This is not to say that his ceiling isn't even as a solid starter someday given his athleticism. 

Goncalves being drafted as a G/T is a clear sign we were looking for an upgrade at our game day active swing spot. I'm desperately hoping he has displaced Fries by mid-season if not sooner.

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Freeland was far from quality depth last season. And additional weight and strength promise little. Saturdays practice showed that. This is not to say that his ceiling isn't even as a solid starter someday given his athleticism. 

Goncalves being drafted as a G/T is a clear sign we were looking for an upgrade at our game day active swing spot. I'm desperately hoping he has displaced Fries by mid-season if not sooner.

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I’m actually looking forward, not back 

He was rushed into playing.  He was not strong enough 

I am a nobody, but IMHO Freeland has shown that he has potential.  

Bringing Goncalves in to develop is a great move because he can also play guard

I see BOTH of these guy starting on this line 3 years from now

But again, who knows

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I still hold out hope that Freeland can earn a starting job.  He was definitely thrown in the deep end his rookie year, and was barely able to stay afloat.  He's got some innate skills (and some innate limitations).  No matter how you assemble it, I think the bulk our future OL starters may already be on the roster.

• Like 2