Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

*Update: AD Mitchell signed

atapcl

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Explain rabbit ears?

Rabbits have great hearing and can hear things from a mile away. Especially when predators are nearby. I'm assuming that's what he means when you translate it into Ballard hearing everything about draft prospects.

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

Rabbits have great hearing and can hear things from a mile away. Especially when predators are nearby. I'm assuming that's what he means when you translate it into Ballard hearing everything about draft prospects.

“Rabbit Ears” is a descriptive often used in a negative manner when talking about someone who is hyper-sensitive to even the mildest criticism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

“Rabbit Ears” is a descriptive often used in a negative manner when talking about someone who is hyper-sensitive to even the mildest criticism.

Thank you for this. I was unaware of how this term was used in a negative matter. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Nah, Ballard definitely has rabbit ears. 

Would you like to complete your post?   Do you have the courage to step out of the shadows?   Would you like to admit that YOU were the person who was talking to Moose in the middle of the night insisting Ballard didn’t know enough about Mitchell to know if he was really a good guy.   Would you like to own that here and now? 

Besides…. Ballard publicly defends Mitchell.  You think Mitchell didn’t notice that.  You think Ballard didn’t score points with the kid?  

You can throw all the spit-wads you like from the back row.  But you’re struggling to play checkers, while Ballard is playing three dimensional chess.   Given your background and what you do for a living, I remain surprised that your hate for Ballard pushes you to make one bad argument after another.  You’re smarter than this.  

Do you really want to be in a position where Mitchell does poorly just so you can say…. “I told you so!”     Not me.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Would you like to complete your post?   Do you have the courage to step out of the shadows?   Would you like to admit that YOU were the person who was talking to Moose in the middle of the night insisting Ballard didn’t know enough about Mitchell to know if he was really a good guy.   Would you like to own that here and now? 

Besides…. Ballard publicly defends Mitchell.  You think Mitchell didn’t notice that.  You think Ballard didn’t score points with the kid?  

You can throw all the spit-wads you like from the back row.  But you’re struggling to play checkers, while Ballard is playing three dimensional chess.   Given your background and what you do for a living, I remain surprised that your hate for Ballard pushes you to make one bad argument after another.  You’re smarter than this.  

Do you really want to be in a position where Mitchell does poorly just so you can say…. “I told you so!”     Not me.  

Several people like to play GM in here, but they have no clue how hard it is to be a GM of a football team. They study the game more than anyone, only 32 people in the world have that job. 32! They have the pressure on them to build a winning team and all it takes is 1 or 2 blunders every season or not getting the QB right to not being a SB contender. If people would look at it like that, they would appreciate Ballard much more. As great as Lynch has been, he still hasn't won a SB, doesn't have the QB. Purdy is good but not great. Reason why I predicted the Chiefs would win the SB is because of the QB and Coach. Chiefs FO have nailed both, just like the Pats did with BB and Brady. We sort of did with Peyton and Dungy. It takes a lot of luck to build a winning team and get draft picks right too. I have seen great college players just bust and then you have a QB like Brock Purdy who was a nobody play like Joe Montana at times lmao . 

I would venture to say all the armchair GM's never thought Ryan Leaf would be a bust and the jerkbutt he was. I can use 100 other examples, but I don't want to write a book here chuckling homer simpson GIF.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Several people like to play GM in here, but they have no clue how hard it is to be a GM of a football team. They study the game more than anyone, only 32 people in the world have that job. 32! They have the pressure on them to build a winning team and all it takes is 1 or 2 blunders every season or not getting the QB right to not being a SB contender. If people would look at it like that, they would appreciate Ballard much more. As great as Lynch has been, he still hasn't won a SB, doesn't have the QB. Purdy is good but not great. Reason why I predicted the Chiefs would win the SB is because of the QB and Coach. Chiefs FO have nailed both, just like the Pats did with BB and Brady. We sort of did with Peyton and Dungy. It takes a lot of luck to build a winning team and get draft picks right too. I have seen great college players just bust and then you have a QB like Brock Purdy who was a nobody play like Joe Montana at times lmao . 

I would venture to say all the armchair GM's never thought Ryan Leaf would be a bust and the jerkbutt he was. I can use 100 other examples, but I don't want to write a book here chuckling homer simpson GIF.

I just want to address the bolded. The 49ers have not won a SB under John Lynch. This is true. However, they made two SBs in 2019 and 2023. If Ballard did this, everyone on this forum would love him right now and would be singing his praises. Lynch helped give the 49ers two chances to win the SB as a GM. That's more than anyone besides the Chiefs and Pats can say in that time period. They were just unfortunate and didn't get the job done. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I’ve often said the worst GM knows more than the smartest fan.  In the end I wasn’t a fan of Grigson and I’m not a fan of Mike Tannenbaum.   But both are smarter than any fan.  Because they’re on the inside, they have a relationship with the owner.  Is the owner patient and realize that things may take a few years to build, or has the owner given the order to win or else?  Is the owner willing to spend on players and facilities or not?  These things make a big difference. 

So I try to cut the GM as much slack as possible.  There are just too many moving parts.  

And for what it’s worth…. I think Purdy is really, really good.   Is he the real deal?   Not sure, but only because he’s surrounded by premium talent at every skill position plus a very good line plus a very good play calling HC.  All that can make a big difference.  But I think we’ll all know more after the 24 season.  

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve often said the worst GM knows more than the smartest fan.  In the end I wasn’t a fan of Grigson and I’m not a fan of Mike Tannenbaum.   But both are smarter than any fan.  Because they’re on the inside, they have a relationship with the owner.  Is the owner patient and realize that things may take a few years to build, or has the owner given the order to win or else?  Is the owner willing to spend on players and facilities or not?  These things make a big difference. 

So I try to cut the GM as much slack as possible.  There are just too many moving parts.  

And for what it’s worth…. I think Purdy is really, really good.   Is he the real deal?   Not sure, but only because he’s surrounded by premium talent at every skill position plus a very good line plus a very good play calling HC.  All that can make a big difference.  But I think we’ll all know more after the 24 season.  

My issue with the bolded when someone tries to use this to discredit a fan is that the worst GM isn't competing against fans, he's competing 31 other GMs who are better than him. Not saying Ballard is the worst GM, but he's probably middle-of-the-pack when you put everything together and if you are willing to give him a break on the QB situation. Even so, if you are viewing him as a GM in the 14-18 range, then he is a GM that will borderline make the playoffs every year. I believe fans should have the right to criticize a GM and compare him to other teams GMs. 

That's what I do, I compare him to the other GMs, and if he does poorly against them in aspects such as the draft, FA, trades, and other things, then he deserves to be ridiculed. Right now, he isn't cutting it. IMO, he should have been fired at the end of last season. If he doesn't make the playoffs, then show him the door IMO. I mentioned Lynch above making two SBs in 2019 and 2023 when both Ballard and Lynch took over as GMs in 2017. 

I'm tired of not winning the division. I'm tired of missing the playoffs. I'm tired of injuries to our stars. I'm tired of seeing the AFC hitting on franchise QBs and us getting nothing. Richardson needs to be the guy. He can't miss. Failure is not an option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

My issue with the bolded when someone tries to use this to discredit a fan is that the worst GM isn't competing against fans, he's competing 31 other GMs who are better than him. Not saying Ballard is the worst GM, but he's probably middle-of-the-pack when you put everything together and if you are willing to give him a break on the QB situation. Even so, if you are viewing him as a GM in the 14-18 range, then he is a GM that will borderline make the playoffs every year. I believe fans should have the right to criticize a GM and compare him to other teams GMs. 

That's what I do, I compare him to the other GMs, and if he does poorly against them in aspects such as the draft, FA, trades, and other things, then he deserves to be ridiculed. Right now, he isn't cutting it. IMO, he should have been fired at the end of last season. If he doesn't make the playoffs, then show him the door IMO. I mentioned Lynch above making two SBs in 2019 and 2023 when both Ballard and Lynch took over as GMs in 2017. 

I'm tired of not winning the division. I'm tired of missing the playoffs. I'm tired of injuries to our stars. I'm tired of seeing the AFC hitting on franchise QBs and us getting nothing. Richardson needs to be the guy. He can't miss. Failure is not an option.

Tired Michael Buble GIF by bubly

10 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

I just want to address the bolded. The 49ers have not won a SB under John Lynch. This is true. However, they made two SBs in 2019 and 2023. If Ballard did this, everyone on this forum would love him right now and would be singing his praises. Lynch helped give the 49ers two chances to win the SB as a GM. That's more than anyone besides the Chiefs and Pats can say in that time period. They were just unfortunate and didn't get the job done. 

That is a fair post because I do think Lynch has been better than Ballard. Can't really debate that. Having said that according to many in here, if you don't win the SB, then you fail. If you go by Championships, it is 0-0 a tie between Ballard and Lynch. Pacers made the Final 4 but some don't care, they didn't win it all. That is the world we live in.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Purdy is good too but until he wins it all, I will not say great. He has a loaded team around him, he should win if he is good. I have said the same thing about Jason Tatum since 2018, it took him 7 seasons to finally win an NBA Championship after being surrounded by good players for that many years and he has also had Brown who is great for all 7 seasons. What is funny is, Brown has been the better the player in the Finals though. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is a fair post because I do think Lynch has been better than Ballard. Can't really debate that. Having said that according to many in here, if you don't win the SB, then you fail. If you go by Championships, it is 0-0 a tie between Ballard and Lynch. Pacers made the Final 4 but some don't care, they didn't win it all. That is the world we live in.

Yeah, the Pacers season this year is equivalent to the Colts 2014 season. Both were a big deal, but the Pacers get less credit. By Championships, Ballard and Lynch are tied, but I believe the forum would be happy if we had the 49ers record in the regular season and playoffs from 2017-2023. We'd be disappointed we lost the SB twice, but encouraged that we can get back there again.

We just need that hope this year. Give us something where we make the playoffs at the bare minimum. Have AR show he is the real deal. Give us hope for the future. That's all I want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

Yeah, the Pacers season this year is equivalent to the Colts 2014 season. Both were a big deal, but the Pacers get less credit. By Championships, Ballard and Lynch are tied, but I believe the forum would be happy if we had the 49ers record in the regular season and playoffs from 2017-2023. We'd be disappointed we lost the SB twice, but encouraged that we can get back there again.

We just need that hope this year. Give us something where we make the playoffs at the bare minimum. Have AR show he is the real deal. Give us hope for the future. That's all I want.

I hear ya. I am the same way. If we went 11-6 for 10 straight seasons but lost 9 times in the playoffs, I would be happy but would want at least 1 Championship out of it.

Overall, I was happy with the Peyton era because we did win 1 and had 7 straight 12-win seasons. Having said that with Peyton and the teams we had, we should have won at least 2. The 2009 SB season still haunts me to this day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hear ya. I am the same way. If we went 11-6 for 10 straight seasons but lost 9 times in the playoffs, I would be happy but would want at least 1 Championship out of it.

Overall, I was happy with the Peyton era because we did win 1 and had 7 straight 12-win seasons. Having said that with Peyton and the teams we had, we should have won at least 2. The 2009 SB season still haunts me to this day.

Your first paragraph reminds me of the Braves. Win the division every year and only get 1 WS out of it. It took 26 years later to get a second one. 

I was happy with the Manning era because it kept me entertained and engaged with football. It was pure fun. I will never waiver that Manning underperformed on the Colts in the playoffs and we should have won another SB considering it was Peyton Manning at QB, but being a Broncos fan and living in Colorado, I can accept the last 4 years of Peyton's career and it made me happy.

The 2009 SB was terrible. I won $300 betting on the Saints but hated it. That one will haunt us forever.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Your first paragraph reminds me of the Braves. Win the division every year and only get 1 WS out of it. It took 26 years later to get a second one. 

I was happy with the Manning era because it kept me entertained and engaged with football. It was pure fun. I will never waiver that Manning underperformed on the Colts in the playoffs and we should have won another SB considering it was Peyton Manning at QB, but being a Broncos fan and living in Colorado, I can accept the last 4 years of Peyton's career and it made me happy.

The 2009 SB was terrible. I won $300 betting on the Saints but hated it. That one will haunt us forever.

I stayed away on betting on the game because during the pre-game everyone on CBS and fans were rooting for the Saints. I was in Vegas when that SB was played and just a bad feeling after the way everyone kept bringing up Katrina. I am not the conspiracy guy you are but I still can sniff out things if they smell rotten if you know what I mean.

As long as a same core team gets 1 Championship, that validates them being great with years of winning but coming up short and we did get the one. I still can't imagine how Bills fans feel, losing 4 straight SBs. All those wins but no validation. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Did I read that right?   He should have been fired at the end of LAST YEAR?  2023?   Steichen’s first season?  

You were making an interesting argument.   You can tell I was enjoying it because what caused me to respond to it is much further down in your post.   You were making some decent points. 

If you’ve mistakenly said 2023 and intended to actually say 2022, the 4-12-1 season,  THEN you have an argument.  A decent argument.  But if you tell me no, you indeed meant 2023, then your post just blew up.   Sorry.  I’m pulling for a 2022 answer. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Posts like this is why you get so much push back.   It's not reality.  If you want to follow a team that always wins,  start following the Chiefs.   Then follow the next great team.   Etc.   

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Posts like this is why you get so much push back.   It's not reality.  If you want to follow a team that always wins,  start following the Chiefs.   Then follow the next great team.   Etc.   

Thanks...the poster is ridicules. Always crying about Ballard and jumped ship to be a Broncos fan ..the Broncos tanked so now he's back. Classic bandwagon fan. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Thanks...the poster is ridicules. Always crying about Ballard and jumped ship to be a Broncos fan ..the Broncos tanked so now he's back. Classic bandwagon fan. 

Jared is a Colts fan.   He has some issues that cause him to overreact.  He is a good kid.    He admits his condition causes him to over react.  The kid is a die hard colts fan though

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I see a noticeable difference after a new HC and two drafts.

Ballard seems smarter just that quick. And I see our current issues on defense, and inexperienced QB the reason the playoffs are unlikely. I question the football intellect of all that expect it.

And comparing Lynch/Shanahan to Ballard/Frank-Irsay is silliness.

We are headed in the right direction finally.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Jared is a Colts fan.   He has some issues that cause him to overreact.  He is a good kid.    He admits his condition causes him to over react.  The kid is a die hard colts fan though

Hmmm....ok.

49 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I see a noticeable difference after a new HC and two drafts.

Ballard seems smarter just that quick. And I see our current issues on defense, and inexperienced QB the reason the playoffs are unlikely. I question the football intellect of all that expect it.

And comparing Lynch/Shanahan to Ballard/Frank-Irsay is silliness.

We are headed in the right direction finally.

I can't really debate that comparing Lynch/Shannahan to Ballard/Frank-Irsay is kind of silly because Lynch/Shannahan has had way more success. I was just trying to point out that many people only care if you win the SB and neither have. I think Ballard may have made the best move in his career when he hired Shane. How we went 9-8 last year was a miracle, a lot of it was due to coaching.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2024 at 10:21 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Simmer down. I don’t care what he said about Mitchell, although I do think he was a little dramatic and I don’t think an executive should curse in public like he does. You said CB has think skin and doesn’t care what people say. I disagree. CB has commented several times on what fans or the media have said. He even responded to Bowen by name because Bowen had criticized him about something. To me, that’s the opposite of thick skin. That’s rabbit ears. You can tell CB is getting prickly and sensitive, as well he should be given his less than mediocre results. That’s all I was saying — pretty innocuous stuff. You bringing up “the shadows” and owning things “here and now” and chess and checkers and that “I’m smarter than this” is so overboard…Just relax a bit, sir, not every post or exchange has to be a war. 

On 6/13/2024 at 11:34 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Purdy is good too but until he wins it all, I will not say great. He has a loaded team around him, he should win if he is good. I have said the same thing about Jason Tatum since 2018, it took him 7 seasons to finally win an NBA Championship after being surrounded by good players for that many years and he has also had Brown who is great for all 7 seasons. What is funny is, Brown has been the better the player in the Finals though. 

speaking of which, I’m about to win some good money.  I bet that brown would be FMVP, the Celtics would win the series, and it last at least 4 games.  :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Simmer down. I don’t care what he said about Mitchell, although I do think he was a little dramatic and I don’t think an executive should curse in public like he does. You said CB has think skin and doesn’t care what people say. I disagree. CB has commented several times on what fans or the media have said. He even responded to Bowen by name because Bowen had criticized him about something. To me, that’s the opposite of thick skin. That’s rabbit ears. You can tell CB is getting prickly and sensitive, as well he should be given his less than mediocre results. That’s all I was saying — pretty innocuous stuff. You bringing up “the shadows” and owning things “here and now” and chess and checkers and that “I’m smarter than this” is so overboard…Just relax a bit, sir, not every post or exchange has to be a war. 

Ballard does have thick skin.  You just choose to not to see it that way.   

Ballard is the face and voice of the franchise.  Irsay’s health does not make him an effective public face of the franchise.  Frank was OK, Steichen less so.   So Ballard does the lion share of teams PR. 

And Ballard has always said he’d rather the fans be angry than be apathetic.  Shows they care.  Of course, you know this but choose not to acknowledge it because it undercuts your distorted view of CB.   I don’t know what CBs relationship is with Kevin Bowen who I like.   So let’s say it’s complicated.   But on balance I think Ballard has a good relationship with the local media.  I’d be surprised if he didn’t.  He is loved by national media.  He’s got a personality and a sense of humor.  I’m sorry you don’t care for it. 

Of course you have yet to acknowledge that you and Moose literally said that Ballard didn’t know enough about Mitchell to know if he was a good guy.   For a man in your profession, THAT is a whopper.  Why you thought that is a mystery?

By the way, hope you notice that at least twice I’ve now said you’re smarter than you show.  There’s a compliment in there somewhere if you let yourself see it. 

But I think you’ve painted yourself into a corner.  You come across as someone who’d rather be right about Ballard being bad even if it means the Colts do poorly than be wrong and have the Colts do well. 

The reason Irsay hasn’t fired Ballard for the teams record is because Irsay approved of what CB was doing in real time.   Believe what you want but Irsay has done the GM job himself so he knows how it goes.  And he has chosen to keep Ballard.  Unless you don’t like Irsay too, you might want to consider that.  Life is more fun being optimistic than negative.  

Sorry this went so long.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is a great story on Mitchell. The part in here where Mitchell explains how much he appreciates Ballard going to bat for him was awesome.

Feel the need to clarify something.   The writer of the article, Bob McGinn, is one of the top-10 football writers there is.  (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel) McGinn does NOT have an opinion on Mitchell.  It’s the unnamed scouts who have the negative opinions.  McGinn is quoting them which is his job.  He is supposed to do that.  

Ballard even acknowledged that in his own way.  He literally said “put your name on it!”   Well, McGinn’s name IS on it.  it’s his column.   But it’s the scouts who are saying things anonymously.   If there’s an issue, (if) it’s with them, not McGinn. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Feel the need to clarify something.   The writer of the article, Bob McGinn, is one of the top-10 football writers there is.  (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel) McGinn does NOT have an opinion on Mitchell.  It’s the unnamed scouts who have the negative opinions.  McGinn is quoting them which is his job.  He is supposed to do that.  

Ballard even acknowledged that in his own way.  He literally said “put your name on it!”   Well, McGinn’s name IS on it.  it’s his column.   But it’s the scouts who are saying things anonymously.   If there’s an issue, (if) it’s with them, not McGinn. 

The issue some may have is the kind of journalism where Bob McGinn created an article that affected a young man's career based solely upon anonymous sources.

I'm confident you will reply back referring to your experience as a journalist with some version of 'without anonymous sources, there would be no journalism'. I value reading your insight about how sports are covered and I don't disagree that anonymous sources can be important. Its fair for anonymous sources to give background about things they are not comfortable saying out loud.

However, I'll add that perhaps its also fair for Bob McGinn to use his anonymous sources to help him find the story and craft the story, but if nobody will put their name on it then Bob McGinn needs to dig deeper before he launches infotainment into the world. He can't take back the damage he did to AD Mitchell.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lester said:

The issue some may have is the kind of journalism where Bob McGinn created an article that affected a young man's career based solely upon anonymous sources.

I'm confident you will reply back referring to your experience as a journalist with some version of 'without anonymous sources, there would be no journalism'. I value reading your insight about how sports are covered and I don't disagree that anonymous sources can be important. Its fair for anonymous sources to give background about things they are not comfortable saying out loud.

However, I'll add that perhaps its also fair for Bob McGinn to use his anonymous sources to help him find the story and craft the story, but if nobody will put their name on it then Bob McGinn needs to dig deeper before he launches infotainment into the world. He can't take back the damage he did to AD Mitchell.

Again….   McGinn didn’t do the damage to Mitchell.  The scouts did.  

And there are columnists like McGinn at every major paper.  Their job is to gather info and report it, whether it’s popular or not. 

Let me turn this around.  Hypothetically, a few years from now if Mitchell doesn’t pan out and he’s moody and difficult to deal with and he’s a bust, then the scouts will have been proven correct.  And people here will say McGinn’s column was spot on.  

Another person who should’ve handled his business better is Mitchell himself.  He’s been living with this since he was roughly 16.   And scouts said he interviewed badly with them.   Even Mitchell admits it.  

I don’t think this is as black and white as it seems to you.   

To be clear…. I love Mitchell.  Glad we drafted him.  I’ve said several times that Ballard defending him draft night was smart and scored points with the kid.  Now he comes out and says that exact thing.  He appreciates that Ballard defended him so hard and he wants to pay the Colts and Ballard back by being the best player he can be. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And there are columnists like McGinn at every major paper.  Their job is to gather info and report it, whether it’s popular or not. 

Let me turn this around.  Hypothetically, a few years from now if Mitchell doesn’t pan out and he’s moody and difficult to deal with and he’s a bust, then the scouts will have been proven correct.  And people here will say McGinn’s column was spot on.  

Another person who should’ve handled his business better is Mitchell himself.  He’s been living with this since he was roughly 16.   And scouts said he interviewed badly with them.   Even Mitchell admits it.  

I don’t think this is as black and white as it seems to you.   

To be clear…. I love Mitchell.  Glad we drafted him.  I’ve said several times that Ballard defending him draft night was smart and scored points with the kid.  Now he comes out and says that exact thing.  He appreciates that Ballard defended him so hard and he wants to pay the Colts and Ballard back by being the best player he can be. 

Does a reporter bear any responsibility about what he includes in his pieces? Sourced or not? Is everything a source tell you printable? Is everything worth printing? BTW I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just wonder if there are any ethical considerations a reporter might have when reporting on this type of touchy subject, especially when some of those anonymous scouts might have vested interest in a player getting drafted higher or lower than currently projected? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

Does a reporter bear any responsibility about what he includes in his pieces? Sourced or not? Is everything a source tell you printable? Is everything worth printing? BTW I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just wonder if there are any ethical considerations a reporter might have when reporting on this type of touchy subject, especially when some of those anonymous scouts might have vested interest in a player getting drafted higher or lower than currently projected? 

The McGinn column that I can find describes what happened at the combine in front of all of the scouts (below). Is there another column from him about Mitchell? There must be based on the conversation in this thread. 

DRAFT

Part 1, WR/TE: Hall of Fame talent at the top, then (many) questions

Marvin Harrison Jr. leads the way. You'll see receivers fly off the board the first two rounds. But scouts have concerns. Bob McGinn's 40th annual series begins.

Part 1, WR/TE: Hall of Fame talent at the top, then (many) questions - golongtd.com

By Bob McGinn

(About halfway through the column is a discussion of Mitchell's combine performance)

Coming off a 55-reception, 11-touchdown season at Texas, Mitchell did everything at the combine other than the short shuttle, the 3-cone and the bench press. And, after his blazing 40 of 4.35 and exceptional distances in the jumps, his decision to work at the combine appeared to be paying off.

Then Mitchell, wearing the WO19 jersey, started running the various routes in line with other wide receivers. His performance was insufficient, to say the least.

“He blew that 40 out, which didn’t surprise me,” one veteran scout said. “But then his position workout might have been the worst I’ve seen by a top receiver. He was falling over. He dropped balls. He had to keep redoing. It seemed as if he didn’t know how to run routes. He just seemed out of it.

“Generally, I don’t get alarmed by a combine. That was alarming.”

Based on television coverage, Mitchell staggered and fell during the gauntlet, dropped the first two slants, dropped an out and either messed up the route or failed to make the catch on his next three attempts. His performance was adequate after that.

“He was very linear, very straight line,” another scout said watching Mitchell at the combine. “Which surprised me, because in my limited exposure, for a fast guy, I thought he could actually bend and get in and out of his cuts.

“After running fast, the position stuff didn’t match. It wasn’t terrible. It wasn’t fatal. But it definitely raised some alerts with me. He didn’t have a great combine.”

Mitchell stood on his combine numbers and did position drills March 21 at Texas pro day, leaving the bench press and shuttles void.

26 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

The McGinn column that I can find describes what happened at the combine in front of all of the scouts (below). Is there another column from him about Mitchell? There must be based on the conversation in this thread. 

DRAFT

Part 1, WR/TE: Hall of Fame talent at the top, then (many) questions

Marvin Harrison Jr. leads the way. You'll see receivers fly off the board the first two rounds. But scouts have concerns. Bob McGinn's 40th annual series begins.

Part 1, WR/TE: Hall of Fame talent at the top, then (many) questions - golongtd.com

By Bob McGinn

(About halfway through the column is a discussion of Mitchell's combine performance)

Coming off a 55-reception, 11-touchdown season at Texas, Mitchell did everything at the combine other than the short shuttle, the 3-cone and the bench press. And, after his blazing 40 of 4.35 and exceptional distances in the jumps, his decision to work at the combine appeared to be paying off.

Then Mitchell, wearing the WO19 jersey, started running the various routes in line with other wide receivers. His performance was insufficient, to say the least.

“He blew that 40 out, which didn’t surprise me,” one veteran scout said. “But then his position workout might have been the worst I’ve seen by a top receiver. He was falling over. He dropped balls. He had to keep redoing. It seemed as if he didn’t know how to run routes. He just seemed out of it.

“Generally, I don’t get alarmed by a combine. That was alarming.”

Based on television coverage, Mitchell staggered and fell during the gauntlet, dropped the first two slants, dropped an out and either messed up the route or failed to make the catch on his next three attempts. His performance was adequate after that.

“He was very linear, very straight line,” another scout said watching Mitchell at the combine. “Which surprised me, because in my limited exposure, for a fast guy, I thought he could actually bend and get in and out of his cuts.

“After running fast, the position stuff didn’t match. It wasn’t terrible. It wasn’t fatal. But it definitely raised some alerts with me. He didn’t have a great combine.”

Mitchell stood on his combine numbers and did position drills March 21 at Texas pro day, leaving the bench press and shuttles void.

There's more about his diabetes and about him being uncoachable and hard to work with. Can't find direct link. The rest might be behind a paywall, but it's quoted in the linked article by Destin Adams. You can read it there.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think I like AD. But that's not what is motivating my posts. I'm enjoying the dialogue as I distract myself from a spreadsheet but I do have a point to make.

That is, you noted: what if McGinn's article is correct? Well, what if its not? He, personally, will have cost AD Mitchell MILLIONS of dollars. Not the scouts; McGinn. McGinn is the one with the platform. If the scouts had a platform, they wouldn't be anonymous sources. The difference between bottom of the 1st round and where AD was selected is $5 to $10 million over 4 years.

As another poster noted, does McGinn have any responsibility in regards to articles he releases that are not factual, whether they were written in good faith or not?

Here is AD's combine workout video.

True, he fell down on the Gauntlet drill but got right back up and seemed to be a good sport about it.  He ran the gauntlet again and completed it so not sure what the big deal is ?  Maybe writers are making it a bigger deal than it needs to be ?  But judge for yourself.  I saw no bad attitude there.

Also very cool comparison in the video of AD running the 40 superimposed against AJ Brown and Julio Jones.  He smokes both of them.  That should get Colts fans really excited.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

Here is AD's combine workout video.

True, he fell down on the Gauntlet drill but got right back up and seemed to be a good sport about it.  He ran the gauntlet again and completed it so not sure what the big deal is ?  Maybe writers are making it a bigger deal than it needs to be ?  But judge for yourself.  I saw no bad attitude there.

Also very cool comparison in the video of AD running the 40 superimposed against AJ Brown and Julio Jones.  He smokes both of them.  That should get Colts fans really excited.

This is not the writer. This is a scout he's quoting. This (especially if it's the same scout he's quoting about the diabetes/uncoachable/immature thing) seems like a scout either with an agenda or some axe to grind.  

BTW seems like the part about the diabetes is/was in this exact article, but I currently cannot find it in the article. Do we know if it got deleted or if it's behind a paywall we cannot see?

• Like 1