Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

Just now, Yoshinator said:

Most of the elite teams have a top TE. That's a separator. Chiefs, 49ers, Bills, Lions, Ravens. All with top TEs. That arguably harder to get than a top WR. If Brock Bowers falls to 15, you take him.

There is probably a lot of fans 10-14 saying the same thing right now on their respective forums. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

There is probably a lot of fans 10-14 saying the same thing right now on their respective forums. 

I agree. Curious how it'll work out tomorrow. The Jets are the team that scares me with regards to Bowers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Most of the elite teams have a top TE. That's a separator. Chiefs, 49ers, Bills, Lions, Ravens. All with top TEs. That arguably harder to get than a top WR. If Brock Bowers falls to 15, you take him.

I can’t believe how many fans still think Bowers is going to be there at 15.  Amazing.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I can’t believe how many fans still think Bowers is going to be there at 15.  Amazing.

I'll say this. Who else besides the Jets is a major landmine for Bowers? Vikings probably go QB or CB. Broncos have tons of needs, including QB, EDGE, and D_Line. Raiders have lots of needs and are high on CBs and OTs. Saints are probably more of a threat to take OT or WR on offense than TE. 

Honestly, if he gets by the Jets, there a good chance he makes it to us. Maybe the Bengals are a threat to trade up for him, but I'm nitpicking there. I honestly think there's a better chance Bowers makes it to us than Quinyon Mitchell.

16 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

U also have to consider those teams r stacked on thr lines with exception of thr Bills. An elite pass catching tr is useless if no one on the line can block.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I'll say this. Who else besides the Jets is a major landmine for Bowers? Vikings probably go QB or CB. Broncos have tons of needs, including QB, EDGE, and D_Line. Raiders have lots of needs and are high on CBs and OTs. Saints are probably more of a threat to take OT or WR on offense than TE. 

Honestly, if he gets by the Jets, there a good chance he makes it to us. Maybe the Bengals are a threat to trade up for him, but I'm nitpicking there. I honestly think there's a better chance Bowers makes it to us than Quinyon Mitchell.

It could be any number of teams.  A generational TE they say.  All it takes is one team.  I still believe Ballard is trading up for a difference maker.  Not taking any chances of missing his target being this close to securing one.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It could be any number of teams.  A generational TE they say.  All it takes is one team.  I still believe Ballard is trading up for a difference maker.  Not taking any chances of missing his target being this close to securing one.

I'm in the middle with a trade up realistically. I think if there's a trade up, it'll be with a team such as the Broncos at 12. They move down 3 spots and still get their QB, and we are able to move ahead of a team like the Raiders who is a threat for Quinyon Mitchell and secure him at 12. That's my scenario for trading up.

27 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Most of the elite teams have a top TE. That's a separator. Chiefs, 49ers, Bills, Lions, Ravens.

and only one of them were the first tight end off the board. 

Kelce was the 5th in the 3rd round. Kittle was the 9th in the 5th round. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Just listened to a Bills pre draft show on local television.  They said Bills GM Brandon Beane said they have no players on their board with a 1st rd grade.  They will be listening for trade back offers.  Goes to show you how different teams can be on grading players.

Something doesn’t add up.   I just looked up comments Beane made about how many players have first round grades.   

Quoting from the Buffalo News paper his quote was this:   “Not as many as last year, but not 28” which is where Buffalo picks this year.   

So his quote isn’t close to saying they have zero players with first round grades.  It’s almost the opposite. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

and only one of them were the first tight end off the board. 

Kelce was the 5th in the 3rd round. Kittle was the 9th in the 5th round. 

Yep. This is true. It's tough to hit on TEs. Seems like a crapshoot. Most GMs don't want to try to be the smartest guy in the room by taking the first one in the draft.

Personally, I'd like to see what we have in our TEs for a year. If we can get Bowers though, it's hard to pass up. A lot of it is position strengths and weaknesses in the draft for me. We can get someone like a Theo Johnson in the 3rd, I just don't know if he'll be ready right away, and we have 4 guys that are good and I don't want to draft a TE in the mid-rounds that has to fight for a roster spot. If it meant we cut Cox, then ok. Bowers would cause us to do that IMO.

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I hope u r right. For once take a stab at a play maker.

I don’t think we’re going tight end. Ballard has spoken about what we have at tight end and he likes it.  

usually when Ballard speaks on a position group and says something along the lines of “give them a chance”, he doesn’t draft that position high. He said it about our OL when they were bad. And he’s saying it now about our corners and tight ends.

if y’all have been listening, it’s only one group he hasn’t spoke on regarding the “I like our guys” statement…the wide receivers. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Jelani Woods     

Just now, smittywerb said:

I don’t think we’re going tight end. Ballard has spoken about what we have at tight end and he likes it.  

usually when Ballard speaks on a position group and says something along the lines of “give them a chance”, he doesn’t draft that position high. He said it about our OL when they were bad. And he’s saying it now about our corners and tight ends.

if y’all have been listening, it’s only one group he hasn’t spoke on regarding the “I like our guys” statement…the wide receivers. 

I'll quote you both here. For me, it's Bowers or bust as far as drafting a TE. Tip Reiman is a TE I love late as he is an elite blocker that could help us a ton and we could cut Cox for him, but other than that, if we don't draft Bowers, then I don't want to draft a TE.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Honestly, if he gets by the Jets, there a good chance he makes it to us. Maybe the Bengals are a threat to trade up for him, but I'm nitpicking there. I honestly think there's a better chance Bowers makes it to us than Quinyon Mitchell

I think you’re right. And the Jets also need Oline help. Wouldn’t shock me to see Bowers fall to the Colts at all. And I think they have to grab him if he’s there. 
Take Bowers and you can still get a CB, WR, and LB in the next few rounds. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Yep. This is true. It's tough to hit on TEs. Seems like a crapshoot. Most GMs don't want to try to be the smartest guy in the room by taking the first one in the draft.

Personally, I'd like to see what we have in our TEs for a year. If we can get Bowers though, it's hard to pass up. A lot of it is position strengths and weaknesses in the draft for me. We can get someone like a Theo Johnson in the 3rd, I just don't know if he'll be ready right away, and we have 4 guys that are good and I don't want to draft a TE in the mid-rounds that has to fight for a roster spot. If it meant we cut Cox, then ok. Bowers would cause us to do that IMO.

you will never get one to stick if you dont keep drafting them and testing them out. Woods could breakthrough, but I’m not banking on it. I like Mallory, and think he will continue to grow. But I don’t see any reason to not keep them rolling in the pipeline. Maybe that concept pushes Bowers down to us and we are willing to swing on him. I think he and AR could work wonders, especially in the rpo with JT. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I'll quote you both here. For me, it's Bowers or bust as far as drafting a TE. Tip Reiman is a TE I love late as he is an elite blocker that could help us a ton and we could cut Cox for him, but other than that, if we don't draft Bowers, then I don't want to draft a TE.

I think we get bowers if the draft falls that way.  Meaning that we can’t trade up and/or players were targeting are gone. And in that case I think that’s the best move.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Something doesn’t add up.   I just looked up comments Beane made about how many players have first round grades.   

Quoting from the Buffalo News paper his quote was this:   “Not as many as last year, but not 28” which is where Buffalo picks this year.   

So his quote isn’t close to saying they have zero players with first round grades.  It’s almost the opposite. 

That’s why I was surprised to hear it from all of the reporters on the program.  It caught me by surprise.  I thought to myself that can’t be right.  Oh well.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

you also realize they are two totally different tight ends right? 

Sure   But of all the needs on this team TE isn't one of them.     We have a very good TE group if you ask me.   I would not hate the pick but,  It would not be my hope  

you also realize they are two totally different tight ends right? As in, they would both be on the field (if woods can stay on it) at the same time, quite often. 

@ChuggaBeer

So the equation looks like Woods+ Bowers > anything you can put with Q Mitchell’s name on it 

Just now, ChuggaBeer said:

Sure   But of all the needs on this team TE isn't one of them.     We have a very good TE group if you ask me.   I would not hate the pick but,  It would not be my hope  

I don’t know about very good. That’s dependent on a tight end that is looking like a bust. Offense needs weapons. 

in the same breath, I can make the argument that flowers might end up in the same boat, so corner is certainly a position of need. I just don’t know about passing up premier pass catchers in the first when there will be opportunities throughout for solid cornerback play. So I do understand, I just don’t value it as highly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

WHY?        CB would be the need

see my last comment while you were writing this… 

i don’t view it the same way you do. CB is a need… I don’t believe it is THE need. I think safety is more of a need, quite frankly. But neither of them should be in front of adding weapons for this offense. 

• Like 1

I don’t know about very good. That’s dependent on a tight end that is looking like a bust. Offense needs weapons. 

in the same breath, I can make the argument that flowers might end up in the same boat, so corner is certainly a position of need. I just don’t know about passing up premier pass catchers in the first when there will be opportunities throughout for solid cornerback play. So I do understand, I just don’t value it as highly. 

I'd look at WR more for offense    I think we are good at TE      For the record I would not be upset with a Bowers pick.   Just think its a luxury pick 

I'd look at WR more for offense    I think we are good at TE      For the record I would not be upset with a Bowers pick.   Just think its a luxury pick 

I don’t disagree. But if the scouting department and Shane Steichen see Bowers as far better than the receiver options and he’s right there dangling in our faces, I’m not sure I see a better option, realistically. If they don’t value him like I would think they do… then I would prefer them to trade down and draft a receiver/add picks (to draft a defensive back later on) 

• Like 1

see my last comment while you were writing this… 

i don’t view it the same way you do. CB is a need… I don’t believe it is THE need. I think safety is more of a need, quite frankly. But neither of them should be in front of adding weapons for this offense. 

I have said from the beginning that safety was the biggest need on the D.  BUt I have been beaten down on that   So......

I have said from the beginning that safety was the biggest need on the D.  BUt I have been beaten down on that   So......

I’ve thought it was the need all along. I incorrectly got my hopes up that we’d target one of the free agents so that we were going into this draft with the ability to feel confident about luxury picks and true bpa’s. That didn’t even remotely come close to happening. So I’m with you on that… 

• Like 1

I’ve thought it was the need all along. I incorrectly got my hopes up that we’d target one of the free agents so that we were going into this draft with the ability to feel confident about luxury picks and true bpa’s. That didn’t even remotely come close to happening. So I’m with you on that… 

Agree 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

If he is not skeptical about our corners, then he had no reason being a GM. 

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

No.  You go get him if he’s close.

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Give AR a Real Tight-end!!! Please!!!!! If Bowers is there, we will take him!!!!! Ballard and the scouts know he is the future!!! 

Could u imagine if Bowers was there and he traded back???lol

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Give AR a Real Tight-end!!! Please!!!!! If Bowers is there, we will take him!!!!! Ballard and the scouts know he is the future!!! 

I will say this. I think if Bowers falls, I could see KC trading up.