Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You have 3 to 4 years on a rookie QB contract to really go for a SB. Richardson already lost one to injury. The second is about to be lost because Ballard has failed the secondary. That takes us very close to year 3 already. Just wasting time.

This is something a lot of people in all fan bases think, and it’s not really correct. Most Super Bowl winning teams had vet QBs on hefty contracts. Our window is actually closed right now until we see more from Richardson and he can make it an entire season. 

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. Does anyone remember when the Eagles were named "the Dream Team" after they won free agency that year? It did not help them win anything the following season.

Eagles signed lock down man corners then went to a zone scheme. Sneed can play both 

Anyone want to revisit the Richardson and Levis debate??  Didnt think so lol

He is older and further along, they are more willing to make this move.  On the other hand i dont want to watch the team get scored on all day this year no matter who the qb is

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Anyone want to revisit the Richardson and Levis debate??  Didnt think so lol

He is older and further along, they are more willing to make this move.  On the other hand i dont want to watch the team get scored on all day this year no matter who the qb is

yes… We saw small glimpse of Richardson and I will still take him all day and everyday over Mayonnaise Levis.

they aren’t “further along,” they had a major change in structure of the franchise and are willing to make big moves. 

1 minute ago, runthepost said:

Eagles signed lock down man corners then went to a zone scheme. Sneed can play both 

Is Sneed that good? If so, it was a good trade. The Titans gave up nothing. I wonder why Sneed did not have other suitors if he is that good.

I cannot believe how upset everyone is about not trading for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Because maybe, just maybe, they viewed that he wasn’t as good as people are making him out to be. 

It didn’t have to be sneed. There were a bunch of corners Ballard could have got to improve this team. It’s not about not getting him. It’s about not caring to improve this team.

• Like 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

Is Sneed that good? If so, it was a good trade. The Titans gave up nothing. I wonder why Sneed did not have other suitors if he is that good.

I really wanted him. And then I saw some of his injury concerns, and I wanted him less. I think he can be a good player for the titans, just I think he could have for us. But this move is not without risk… 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Yes. I saw it coming. Did not like his approach as it seemed like he was attempting to build a team from the late 80's early 90's. I have been on record many times and took a lot of beef over my take on his approach.

I have been saying the same thing, but I've never been done with Ballard.  I've never picked on Ballard directly as a lame, failure, GM in that sense.

What I noticed was that the Colts (including the last pick with RG) went C, FS (monoskilled), LG, WILL, RG/RT, with picks like 18, 15, 6, 36, 37 while failing to address aging players like TY, AC and Mathis (who was never here).  I didn't bash Ballard in as much as I said if you are going to use that much capital on those types of positions but not address the "more important" positions, its going to catch up to you.  Its going to force you to hit on EDGE, #1WR, and LT with the first opportunity there is to get them.  Still don't really have the EDGE or the #1, and there was a two year gap before the LT was filled.  And then we needed to fill the QB spot because of Luck.  That's a lot of perfection needed with important picks in succession.  Picking those interior positions back to back to back, etc. backs yourself into a corner and makes it harder to punch out, so to speak.

I have not been anti-Ballard, and some have misinterpreted what I'm saying (because they look at it through a Ballard thumbs up or thumbs down filter).  What I have consistently said and will continue to say:  We'll only be a perennial AFCCG contender when all of those positions are filled with AFCCG type of talent.  Ballard may do it.  His picks might develop.  I'm not bashing or making prediction about them.  But that's what its going to take to be that kind of perennial contender, and when we are, we'll see it in the quality of play from those premium spots.  JMO.  And no matter who's name is on the GM title.

Are other positions important? sure.  And different schemes and coaches might make some slightly more important than others, but they generally can be churned more easily.  The core players you want to keep should be in spots that are harder to find...not the easier spots like G, RT, RB, and probably X WR, and now NT, etc. 

(3T is probably an important position, but it's not important enough to eliminate the need for and EDGE, unless the 3T is Chris Jones, Aaron Donald, or maybe Jeff Simmons.)

• Like 3

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It didn’t have to be sneed. There were a bunch of corners Ballard could have got to improve this team. It’s not about not getting him. It’s about not caring to improve this team.

Ballard doesn’t care to improve the team. 😂 

This forum, man… 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You did miss the point.  The point was if fans feel they can’t afford Simmons or any other more reasonable priced free agent how on earth did they expect them to afford Sneed?  Simmons was just a name that had been used in the conversation where I drew it from.  It was not a post saying hey the Colts are going to sign Simmons so yes you missed the point.

Never said that your post said "hey the Colts are going to sign Simmons."  But whatever... you're just too intelligent for me to follow , so I'll give it up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

This is something a lot of people in all fan bases think, and it’s not really correct. Most Super Bowl winning teams had vet QBs on hefty contracts. Our window is actually closed right now until we see more from Richardson and he can make it an entire season. 

If Ballard is failing this bad with a rookie context just wait until he has to pay him. I can leafy see a lot of contracts he paid the last couple weeks having to be dumped because this team stays mediocre.

If Ballard is failing this bad with a rookie context just wait until he has to pay him. I can leafy see a lot of contracts he paid the last couple weeks having to be dumped because this team stays mediocre.

tell us more about him failing with a top 5 rookie qb that was on IR. A play from the division? Holy cow- what a massive failure. I can’t leafy understand anything you just wrote.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Then show us. No one can say he has done any thing this far to make this secondary better. It’s far worse without Blackmon.

.the off-season is not over. He will make other moves.  He will show you.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Uh. Most of the contracts expire either a year or two years before we even have to worry about paying Richardson. And if we are in the position that Richardson needs to be paid, it means he’s been successful. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I want to see things trend up too.  I was just pointing out the flaw a lot of Colts fans have.  They decide on their own what’s going to happen regardless of history and when it doesn’t they get angry even though it was never going to happen in the first place.  Unless the Colts do something like go 0-17 with Richardson playing every snap Ballard probably isn’t getting fired at season’s end.  

I think the Colts need to make the playoffs, pending that Richardson stays healthy of course, for Ballard to keep his job. That would be progress and having the team continue to trend upward. Anything less than that would be a stagnant or declining team. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

tell us more about him failing with a top 5 rookie qb that was on IR. A play from the division? Holy cow- what a massive failure. I can’t leafy understand anything you just wrote.

Richardson on IR has nothing to do with this team being 30th in the league in points allowed.  Having blind faith in a corner who was united in college and came into the nfl injured. A guy who won’t be ready who was undrafted and a 7th round pick. Of let’s not forget Baker is still on the team.

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I said he is further along, not they.  And he is

you implied they were in better position to make moves like this because their qb is further along… which means, you think they are further along and thus more willing to make these moves. 

and I dispute that entirely. Because he’s not better than Richardson, and he showed that in what little he played last season too… 

Not so sure about "failing."  The team had a winning record and was potentially one terrible throw from the backup QB away from winning the division.  The team roster is not horrible - it's likely 3 positions away from being even more competitive than in 2023.

As George Constanza said to the beached whale..."Easy Big Fella."

Richardson on IR has nothing to do with this team being 30th in the league in points allowed.  Having blind faith in a corner who was united in college and came into the nfl injured. A guy who won’t be ready who was undrafted and a 7th round pick. Of let’s not forget Baker is still on the team.

sure it does. You have to consistently move the ball to keep defenses from scoring. It wasn’t ironic that they were directly correlated last year. When we moved the ball well, teams didn’t score as much. When minshew couldn’t do anything, we got steamrolled. 

and again- it’s a month away from the draft (that has good corners available) and you are acting like we are ready to roll this team out tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Not so sure about "failing."  The team had a winning record and was potentially one terrible throw from the backup QB away from winning the division.  The team roster is not horrible - it's likely 3 positions away from being even more competitive than in 2023.

Ballard has said  in past and went and got QB that were vets because he thought they were further along. If your one game away from playoffs the worst thing he can do is ignore the biggest weakness in this team. This is the worst secondary in the league right now.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard has failed in past and went and got QB that were vets because he thought they were further along. If your one game away from playoffs the worst thing he can do is ignore the biggest weakness in this team. This is the worst secondary in the league right now.

The Panthers say hello…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You know, it’s possible that the Titans made the wrong move tonight and the Colts made the right one.  

It’s possible.   

It’s not a bad move for them considering it’s next years 3rd and they haven’t drafted well anyways so even if they miss on this trade they’re aren’t losing much. And they have the cap space, as we did, to pay him while their QB is on a rookie deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoubleE Colt said:

So help me out a bit here.......why didn't Chiefs want to keep hold of Sneed long term considering initially, his contract with the Titans looks not much different from what he would have got for the year on tag with them.....they said they were happy to keep him for the year on tag then basically traded him for not a lot.....I get they are tight against the cap but if they hadn't made a trade they would have had to have dealt with that anyway.

They have to play like 4 key players next year. It helps they have McDuffie who was an all pro CB last year too

13 minutes ago, r a y s k i said:

Makes no sense to me, people so quickly forget how historically bad that Colts roster was that Ballard inherited. 

True.  But one of the first things he said is that he wants to draft and develop a group of core players that are here for years.  Good enough you don't want to churn.  As of year 7, who are those players and what positions do they play?

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I could go back every offseason and fans say this and he doesn’t do anything. He doesn’t used most of our cap space extending our own.

What is "doing nothing"? If he did not sign anyone, that is doing nothing. Not signing who you want is not necessarily doing nothing.

I find that fans like to have something new. The draft is coming and there will be lots of new players. I hope they are the ones Colts fans want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

We played 10 back ups/rookie QBs last season. The schedule isn’t like that this year

14 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

you implied they were in better position to make moves like this because their qb is further along

They are doing what a lot of people have been talking about here.  Waiting to see something from their qb before making moves.  They also spent on a WR

He is further along, it shouldn't be that hard for you to admit this.  I actually dont like WL myself, he annoys me.  Still further along

Just now, BlackTiger said:

They are doing what a lot of people have been talking about here.  Waiting to see something from their qb before making moves.  They also spent on a WR

He is further along, it sholdnt be that hard for you to admit this.  I actually dont like WL myself, he annoys me.  Still further along

He has showed enough Ballard should not be waiting

23 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yes. Allowed 1TD as primary coverage player. He does get penalized a lot because he’s very physical with receivers 

• Like 1

Sneed going to Titans is the most disappointing part to this. Seems the division is getting better but believe CB has a backup plan. Would not be surprised if someone else to help may be in the works. Whether he knows possibly someone will be released or up for trade closer to draft or on draft day. Personally would rather have a difference maker on the edge.

28 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

55 million for an above average corner?

Agreed 

He is not an all pro

He is not a pro bowl (I believe he was added after the fact)

He wants to be paid MORE than the ALL Pros.......

I get it

I hope we can get one (or two) of the many FAs at FS, and head into the draft

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard has said  in past and went and got QB that were vets because he thought they were further along. If your one game away from playoffs the worst thing he can do is ignore the biggest weakness in this team. This is the worst secondary in the league right now.

Last season the team lost DB's due to injury, and was a very young, inexperienced group.  Please dispense with the Chicken Little stuff...at least until week 6, or so.  

• Like 1