Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

For what it’s worth. Sounds like we could just be waiting for an extension to be finalized. Fans on the Chief’s subreddit all seem to accept it and are just speculating on the compensation. I have been out of the loop a little bit, and haven’t had a chance to go all the way down the rabbit hole with this one. Has this been talked about here at all?  

Sneed trade official?

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Joel Erickson made some good points on radio this morning. Everyone talking about Titans and Texans improving in FA. He made a great point how no they haven’t. They replaced guys they lost. Pollard for Beney. Hunter for Grenard. 

He also mentioned how all the guys colts brought back would have been some of the best at their positions in FA. 

I pretty much agree with this. Hunter might be slightly better than Grenard but Grenard is 3 years younger at 26, he is just entering his prime. Pollard is coming off ankle surgery and they lost Henry. I am glad we brought back many of our players as they all played good last year. 

• Like 2

Just now, CardiacColts said:

For what it’s worth. Sounds like we could just be waiting for an extension to be finalized. Fans on the Chief’s subreddit all seem to accept it and are just speculating on the compensation. I have been out of the loop a little bit, and haven’t had a chance to go all the way down the rabbit hole with this one. Has this been talked about here at all?  

Sneed trade official?

Starting to think with those AAV numbers for Fuller that this extension might be tough to work out?

Probably trying to get him in at $15m or so, and he's like tag is this much.

Maybe like a 4yr $64m deal? $17m AAV?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

say something bad about Ballard and I’ll come at your throat… 

ballard is the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over expecting a diff result. he also should cut his hair.  Joe Flacco will only hold clipboards, Sam is the best QB on roster.

white teeth troll GIF

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKB said:

ballard is the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over expecting a diff result. he also should cut his hair.  Joe Flacco will only hold clipboards, Sam is the best QB on roster.

white teeth troll GIF

Oh, come on!  I just saw Ballard sipping a Pina Colada. over at Trader Vic’s, and his hair was perfect!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

Starting to think with those AAV numbers for Fuller that this extension might be tough to work out?

Probably trying to get him in at $15m or so, and he's like tag is this much.

Maybe like a 4yr $64m deal? $17m AAV?

That sounds reasonable to me, but I am the furthest thing from a cap guru there is. I just wait for Superman and others like yourself to break this all down lol. Thank you for your service!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AKB said:

white teeth troll GIF

so are all the teams spending stupid money expecting to win a Super Bowl and never even getting there… 

Ballard is the one true king 

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Imagine losing Buckner to hang on to a guy you go and release anyways a few years later. 

Seriously though, it would be great if the rest of our division could stop being so active in free agency lol. Please, and thank you! 

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Some good points. However, thus far, Cross has shown nothing. Seemed he could hardly get on the field.  Then near the end of season, he did see time, and his play was nothing to write home about. Could easily be unseated or replaced. Some here are expecting Cross to start? Not ruling that out, as a slim possibility? But if they bring in decent competition, I don't Cross starting. Wouldn't be shocked if both Cross and Thomas end up training camp cuts. I did not think Harrison showed as much as others here do, We still need another NFL caliber LB... and I haven't seen his contract details yet? So I am not assuming he came that cheap?

Huh?  Cross a training camp cut?  The guy is like 21, and ascending in experience, performance, consistency.....  he's cheap as dirt and barely had a chance to develop beyond a normal first year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CardiacColts said:

Imagine losing Buckner to hang on to a guy you go and release anyways a few years later. 

Seriously though, it would be great if the rest of our division could stop being so active in free agency lol. Please, and thank you! 

why haven’t you changed your name yet 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

so are all the teams spending stupid money expecting to win a Super Bowl and never even getting there… 

Ballard is the one true king 

king of thrift shopping. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CardiacColts said:

Can't forget, they already let Javon Kinlaw(pick they got for Buckner) go as well.

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

why haven’t you changed your name yet 

Have you seen my profile picture? I don’t know how to change anything on here these days. I’m lucky I still know how to login, although I couldn’t tell you my password anymore either. 

1 minute ago, CardiacColts said:

Have you seen my profile picture? I don’t know how to change anything on here these days. I’m lucky I still know how to login, although I couldn’t tell you my password anymore either. 

if you abbreviated your name like mine it would be CC and everytime I read it I would think of chucky cheese. just wanted to let you know my thoughts on that one. 

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Can't forget, they already let Javon Kinlaw(pick they got for Buckner) go as well.

I am so glad you made that point. Completely forgot that. Wow. Can’t give them too hard of a time though, since they are a well run franchise. But that will definitely be a dark spot on a few resumes. 

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

Connections were there for the potential makings of a deal.

him and buck played together, so before we resigned grove I thought it was a possibility. but then when we resigned grove those chances went down. we easily could've done armstead instead of grove, and still signed davis from Miami with a good outlook on that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Please hear this. All the criticism with the Davis signing is not ALL directly to the player. It is geared towards what the player is known to do. Davis is a space eater. He primarily absorbs blocks to allow the backers to tackle, etc. We already have guys that primarily do that or could find those types of guys later in drafts or udfas. 

We needed a combo player. the ones who can still do what Davis does but also can pressure the passer/backfield. This player does not have a history of doing that and we really don't have any players that can consistently do that as well from the DT position so to us that have critisism, we should have given that money to a more versatile DT. That's it. 

A DT that can do "both" costs a lot more than they paid Grover and Davis combined..... you are talking about a Buckner, Haynesworth, Sapp, type DT....  those guys don't get picked up in FA lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

whats wrong with thrift shopping… Take your Louie vutton, hop in your bmw, and get out of here with this controversy…

i shop at walmart, brand new good value, free agent clothing. 

Just now, dw49 said:

Yeah ... I guess it probably is ball park for him. 

his biggest ? mark is availability imo

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

Buckner is still under contract through this season, that takes him through his prime. So, we have him in 2024 anyway. He turns 30 this week.  If he has a good season this year, Ballard may bring him back for 2 more seasons or so is my guess?

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Please hear this. All the criticism with the Davis signing is not ALL directly to the player. It is geared towards what the player is known to do. Davis is a space eater. He primarily absorbs blocks to allow the backers to tackle, etc. We already have guys that primarily do that or could find those types of guys later in drafts or udfas. 

We needed a combo player. the ones who can still do what Davis does but also can pressure the passer/backfield. This player does not have a history of doing that and we really don't have any players that can consistently do that as well from the DT position so to us that have critisism, we should have given that money to a more versatile DT. That's it. 

Could we have packages where Stewart and Davis play inside together and push Buckner to edge?

2 minutes ago, AKB said:

him and buck played together, so before we resigned grove I thought it was a possibility. but then when we resigned grove those chances went down. we easily could've done armstead instead of grove, and still signed davis from Miami with a good outlook on that

I think the problem was timing.

Armstead got released late.

So Colts probably decided to make sure they secure Grover rather than wait for Armstead potential release and then maybe miss out on Grover while waiting?

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

I think the problem was timing.

Armstead got released late.

So Colts probably decided to make sure they secure Grover rather than wait for Armstead potential release and then maybe miss out on Grover while waiting?

I could see that. I also think Ballard really truly does have his routine down pat. He likes his guys, and he signs them. I read on here someone else saying he's at year 7, might as well keep doing what he's been doing. If he's gonna get fired let it be for his true self, not some altered state of affairs in this warm-seat period. 

but man he was smart the way he put off getting a QB. he knew what he was doing. he said it time and time again in those pressrers that once you take a guy, and they miss., he's gonna lose his head to the media, and fan base. 

AR gets injured, giving him yet another year. this is basically ARs rookie season, so even if we do bad, he's likely here again, ballard ain't no dummy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We were talking about this. Looks like Buckner is headed for a extension which will add to some cap space.

I still don’t believe that Ballard will pay both Grove and DeFo into their 30s. But hope I am wrong.