Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caitlin Clark selected #1 by Fever. **Updated title**

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Myles said:

i wish her well and I'm sure she will do fine.   I wonder how marketable she is for companies.  She's really not pretty which is strike one for companies.  

First, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and second, personality amplifies everything. 

Peyton Manning and Patrick Mahomes aren't your model GQ look guys like Jimmy G, but they are marketable because they are winners and have great personalities. Winning is all Caitlin Clark needs to worry about. :) 

• Like 1

I'm so disappointed in myself.

I almost bought (4) season tickets for the Fever before she declared.

Got worried she would stay for last year at Iowa and I would be stuck.

Now she declared and prices liked tripled...easy money I let slip away there.

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Peyton Manning and Patrick Mahomes aren't your model GQ look guys like Jimmy G, but they are marketable because they are winners and have great personalities. Winning is all Caitlin Clark needs to worry about.

You know it is different for women and men. There is a reason why all the women on the NFL shows are all very pretty and the guys are meh.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Myles said:

i wish her well and I'm sure she will do fine.   I wonder how marketable she is for companies.  She's really not pretty which is strike one for companies.  

She is pretty enough. When I read your post, I thought she was very ugly but she looks okay.

4433403.png&w=350&h=254

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't follow women's basketball. I used to watch Stanford but not anymore. Is.she that good?

Yes she is. I was reading she's the highest scoring player in college basketball history, men included

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Yes she is. I was reading she's the highest scoring player in college basketball history, men included

Wow! That is good. I'm surprised she did not play for UConn and Gino Auriemma.

36 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Wow! That is good. I'm surprised she did not play for UConn and Gino Auriemma.

She led the country in points and assist this year, last time that happened was Tre Young at Oklahoma, never in women's college basketball.

Averaged 31.8pts, 8.9asts, 7.3rebs

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4433403/caitlin-clark

Hits 3ptrs well beyond NBA range.

She might be the most complete women's basketball player ever. Does it all.

15 career triple doubles in college

Speaking of UCONN they do have a girl from my hometown who took us to state title couple years ago. Ashlynn Shade.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/player/_/id/5174493/ashlynn-shade

Getting major minutes as a freshman for Gene.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You know it is different for women and men. There is a reason why all the women on the NFL shows are all very pretty and the guys are meh.

Beauty is very important for a woman's marketability.  Maybe Caitlin can break that, but I'm not sure many companies will be willing to shell out huge contracts to an average looking girl.  However, she can still rake it in by taking lots of OK contracts.  

8 hours ago, Myles said:

Beauty is very important for a woman's marketability.  Maybe Caitlin can break that, but I'm not sure many companies will be willing to shell out huge contracts to an average looking girl.  However, she can still rake it in by taking lots of OK contracts.  

She made more NIL money than any college basketball player (men or women) in the tourney this year. Only Bronny James has a higher NIL this year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/college-basketball/article-13228255/amp/March-Madness-earners-NIL-deals-college-basketball-stars-MILLIONAIRES-Angel-Reese-Caitlin-Clark-Jared-McCain-leading-way-tops-charts.html

"1. Caitlin Clark - $3.1million

Topping the list of the highest earners at March Madness is the biggest name in college basketball this year: Iowa basketball star Caitlin Clark.

Clark broke every point scoring record that the NCAA threw at her this season - passing even the great Pete Maravich to become college basketball's all-time scoring leader.

She's been scoring off the court as well - with an NIL portfolio estimated by On3 to be worth $3.1million.

Clark's the face of Gatorade, State Farm, Buick, Nike, and so many more as the National Player of the Year leaves the college game to be the No. 1 overall pick by the Indiana Fever"

She isn't going to have a problem with endorsements, already is business with some of the bigger names.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, w87r said:

She made more NIL money than any college basketball player (men or women) in the tourney this year. Only Bronny James has a higher NIL this year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/college-basketball/article-13228255/amp/March-Madness-earners-NIL-deals-college-basketball-stars-MILLIONAIRES-Angel-Reese-Caitlin-Clark-Jared-McCain-leading-way-tops-charts.html

"1. Caitlin Clark - $3.1million

Topping the list of the highest earners at March Madness is the biggest name in college basketball this year: Iowa basketball star Caitlin Clark.

Clark broke every point scoring record that the NCAA threw at her this season - passing even the great Pete Maravich to become college basketball's all-time scoring leader.

She's been scoring off the court as well - with an NIL portfolio estimated by On3 to be worth $3.1million.

Clark's the face of Gatorade, State Farm, Buick, Nike, and so many more as the National Player of the Year leaves the college game to be the No. 1 overall pick by the Indiana Fever"

She isn't going to have a problem with endorsements, already is business with some of the bigger names.

Yeah I think she’s doing just fine. In fact way better than the rest of us. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah I think she’s doing just fine. In fact way better than the rest of us. 

I was surprised she left Iowa with how good she had it.

Glad she did though. 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 9:38 PM, w87r said:

Apparently Ice Cube offered Clark $5m to join the Big 3 league.

So… I guess that means we aren’t getting Clark then… any other prospects worthy of the #1 pick or are we kinda screwed? 

On 3/25/2024 at 11:14 AM, Myles said:

You may not find her pretty, but she’s not unattractive.   She’s real and genuine and I think marketable.   I don’t see any strikes against her at this point.  

• Like 2

Been thinking about this. Would it still be possible we draft her and she plays in this other league? Similar to how MLB teams draft NFL players as a way of owning the rights to the player if they ever decided to play?

Just now, RollerColt said:

Been thinking about this. Would it still be possible we draft her and she plays in this other league? Similar to how MLB teams draft NFL as a way of owning the rights to the player if they ever decided to play?

She will be picked by the Fever.

The Big 3 offer was just for 1 year and I'm pretty sure it was reported she could still play for the Fever.

The bigger question is would the Fever let her play? There is big pressure on WNBA to come get these top players enough money so they don't have to play overseas.

Fever actually have highest paid player in WNBA currently. 

For the 2023 season, Indiana Fever guard Erica Wheeler was the highest-paid player in the league, with a salary of $242,154.

Not too worried about Clark not coming to the Fever. 

To answer your question, this is who Dawn Staley said should be #1 pick over Clark, and even her own 6'7" player Cardoso.

Rickea Jackson – F, Tennessee

Even though Tennessee was eliminated in the second round, Jackson had the best opening weekend of the tournament of any top prospect. She averaged 29.5 points and 9.5 rebounds on 63.9% shooting and displayed some impressive shot-making, particularly from the mid-range. Her fluidity and comfort handling the ball at her size is rare, and she has pro-ready size and athleticism. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/wnba/news/2024-wnba-mock-draft-2-0-caitlin-clark-a-lock-at-no-1-virginia-techs-elizabeth-kitley-drops-after-acl-tear/amp/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

She will be picked by the Fever.

The Big 3 offer was just for 1 year and I'm pretty sure it was reported she could still play for the Fever.

The bigger question is would the Fever let her play? There is big pressure on WNBA to come get these top players enough money so they don't have to play overseas.

Fever actually have highest paid player in WNBA currently. 

For the 2023 season, Indiana Fever guard Erica Wheeler was the highest-paid player in the league, with a salary of $242,154.

Not too worried about Clark not coming to the Fever. 

To answer your question, this is who Dawn Staley said should be #1 pick over Clark, and even her own 6'7" player Cardoso.

Rickea Jackson – F, Tennessee

Even though Tennessee was eliminated in the second round, Jackson had the best opening weekend of the tournament of any top prospect. She averaged 29.5 points and 9.5 rebounds on 63.9% shooting and displayed some impressive shot-making, particularly from the mid-range. Her fluidity and comfort handling the ball at her size is rare, and she has pro-ready size and athleticism. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/wnba/news/2024-wnba-mock-draft-2-0-caitlin-clark-a-lock-at-no-1-virginia-techs-elizabeth-kitley-drops-after-acl-tear/amp/

Thanks! Appreciate the post! Yes I think Clark could help change WNBA culture and get her fellow peers paid. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • w87r changed the title to Caitlin Clark selected #1 by Fever. **Updated title**

For those outside of Indy 17,000 fans went to the field house tonight to see her drafted, let alone play, yeah she’s going to change things and could do for the Fever what Peyton did for the Colts in terms of making them the face of the city.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

For those outside of Indy 17,000 fans went to the field house tonight to see her drafted, let alone play, yeah she’s going to change things and could do for the Fever what Peyton did for the Colts in terms of making them the face of the city.

• Like 2

Her game is like Steph Curry's and she has a great personality as well. Not sure why people don't think she is good looking either. She isn't a 10 obviously but far from ugly. She looks good when she dresses up and wears makeup. I would say a 7 but I am not picky. Basketball wise, the Fever are going to be huge now in Indianapolis. 

Great day for Indianapolis!

• Like 3

Caitlin Clark is very pretty, especially when she dresses up and wears makeup. She also has personality and has a fan following. BTW, not every sponsor has to be beautiful or handsome. For example, Peyton Manning isn't handsome, but he has charm, talent and personality. He never lacks for sponsorship or commercials. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Caitlin Clark is very pretty, especially when she dresses up and wears makeup. She also has personality and has a fan following. BTW, not every sponsor has to be beautiful or handsome. For example, Peyton Manning isn't handsome, but he has charm, talent and personality. He never lacks for sponsorship or commercials. 

I think she is very average looking.   But she has shown some marketability which could ear her lots of money.  

On 3/31/2024 at 3:46 AM, NewColtsFan said:

You may not find her pretty, but she’s not unattractive.   She’s real and genuine and I think marketable.   I don’t see any strikes against her at this point.  

She is not built masculine like a lot of WNBA players are.  She will be good for the sport and the Fever 

• Like 3

Clark will get paid $339,000 for 4 years.  That is for playing a game and having lots of time off.  Of course she will make more with endorsements.  The WNBA averaged 6500 people per game.  That is similar to lots of minor leagues.  

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 11:55 AM, Myles said:

Clark will get paid $339,000 for 4 years.  That is for playing a game and having lots of time off.  Of course she will make more with endorsements.  The WNBA averaged 6500 people per game.  That is similar to lots of minor leagues.  

Not only does the WNBA not draw, but Caitlin Clark would get destroyed by any male NBA player. She would probably get destroyed if she played in the G league. Women cannot compete with men in physical sports. That's just a fact. If the WNBA drew close to the NBA, there would be merit to this. They don't though. So it's a moot point.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 11:55 AM, Myles said:

Unfortunately, I agree, great women Soccer players feel like they should be paid more too but you can only be paid so much based on your audience watching = Fact. If the same amount of people went to games and watched the WNBA like they do the NBA, Clark would be making millions. There is nothing women's leagues can do about it because they don't have the audience to increase their salaries = Fact. It has nothing do with discrimination. Money is money. I think most WNBA players know this and so do most Soccer players. That Megan Rapone who plays women's Soccer player makes me want to puke. I can't stand her. She puts down the US all the time, I would like to see her live in any other country and get the chances and make the money she has had here. 

Back to Clark, I am sure Clark is extremely happy with that salary playing a kid's game. She loves the US as well and would never kneel for the flag either. With her sponsors she will be a millionaire anyway and loved here in Indianapolis.

• Like 2

Regarding Clark, she wouldn't make an NBA roster but it would be interesting to see her in a 3point contest against the best men with a man's ball and regulation NBA 3s. She would do pretty well in that IMO. Her range is 25 feet easily. She would have to practice with the regulation NBA ball for a while, but shooters are shooters, she would do ok in something like that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Clark, she wouldn't make an NBA roster but it would be interesting to see her in a 3point contest against the best men with a man's ball and regulation NBA 3s. She would do pretty well in that IMO. Her range is 25 feet easily. She would have to practice with the regulation NBA ball for a while, but shooters are shooters, she would do ok in something like that. 

I believe she's done that twice Vs Stephen Curry. She beat him 2 years ago and then he beat her last year.

EDIT: She beat him last year and he beat her this year.

Just now, Yoshinator said:

I believe she's done that twice Vs Stephen Curry. She beat him 2 years ago and then he beat her last year.

That was a different woman, she has a funny last name, can't remember it right of hand. I was thinking Steph might be the only one that beat Clark in a 3point shootout.

• Like 1