Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos select Peyton's Replacement after retirement...

bap1331

Broncos fans not thrilled because they have other needs, but not surprised either. The Broncos brought him in for a workout and were high on him.

He's rough - can really benefit from learning under Peyton for 3 years or more.

He's 6'7"

Wow lol

I hope Osweiler finds a comfortable seat. Too early for that move IMO. The Broncos already have 2-3 projects to place behind Manning. The pulse I got from Bronco fans wasn't very good about this decision. They were all waiting for that "YES" pick, and were met with confusion.

Funny how the Broncos managed to figure out in one off-season (without Manning even taking a snap for them yet) what our front office couldn't seem to grasp for the last 5-6 years -- draft Manning's replacement while he still has something left in the tank. Meanwhile, we seem to be repeating history, investing everything into the offense and expecting our QB to carry the load while our defense goes unaddressed yet again.

Insanity is repeating the same mistake over-and-over, and expecting different results....

Funny how the Broncos managed to figure out in one off-season (without Manning even taking a snap for them yet) what our front office couldn't seem to grasp for the last 5-6 years -- draft Manning's replacement while he still has something left in the tank. Meanwhile, we seem to be repeating history, investing everything into the offense and expecting our QB to carry the load while our defense goes unaddressed yet again.

Insanity is repeating the same mistake over-and-over, and expecting different results....

That was an awful high reach for a guy that may well not play for 4-6 years. What if Manning stays healthy (as I expect he will)? What if Osweiler is making great strides but bound by Manning's shadow? You think he's gonna stick around? I don't. I think somewhere in Dove Valley, Manning is a bit perturbed by the lack of weaponry being garnered thus far.

That was an awful high reach for a guy that may well not play for 4-6 years. What if Manning stays healthy (as I expect he will)? What if Osweiler is making great strides but bound by Manning's shadow? You think he's gonna stick around? I don't. I think somewhere in Dove Valley, Manning is a bit perturbed by the lack of weaponry being garnered thus far.

I was watching, and it didn't look to me like Osweiler was happy about it either..??? Certainly wasn't overjoyed

I don't necessarily agree with who they picked, but the fact that they invested in the QB position early is what I don't disagree with. The Colts should've done this 2-3 years ago. We'd still have Manning right now if they did.

As for Osweiler ditching the Broncos if he makes strides, it would still come at a price for other teams. You think they wouldn't start shopping him (or Manning even) early if it looks like he's going to be a legit QB?

There's no downside to having a young, solid backup QB with star capabilities. You can either keep him or flip him for high draft picks. Look at what the Pats did a few years ago with Cassel

A mile tall QB playing at Mile High Stadium. From what I've heard, Brock is a very talented, but still kind of raw QB. I'm sure that sitting under Peyton for a few years will benefit him and make him a better QB. He will learn from one of the best ever and be able to polish his skills

Meanwhile, we seem to be repeating history, investing everything into the offense and expecting our QB to carry the load while our defense goes unaddressed yet again.

You can call it insanity if you want to. I, personally, don't feel that our history over the past ten years or so is that bad of a history to repeat. If this team rebuilds itself into a perennial playoff team and wins a Super Bowl over the next decade, I will be pretty pleased with that.

I saw Archie saying Peyton has no long term plan's, he's taking it a year at a time (as if he could do any different), but the implication was that he's older, and he may retire early, leaving the Broncos with a boodle of owed money, and with out this move, no QB for the future! I doubt this kid will make it, but it's smart on the part of the Denver FO.

I saw Archie saying Peyton has no long term plan's, he's taking it a year at a time (as if he could do any different), but the implication was that he's older, and he may retire early, leaving the Broncos with a boodle of owed money, and with out this move, no QB for the future! I doubt this kid will make it, but it's smart on the part of the Denver FO.

There's lots of protections for the Broncos in Peyton's contract.

<p>

You can call it insanity if you want to. I, personally, don't feel that our history over the past ten years or so is that bad of a history to repeat. If this team rebuilds itself into a perennial playoff team and wins a Super Bowl over the next decade, I will be pretty pleased with that.

You can be

Smart front office acquisition. Kneel at the foot of the master, soak up everything he tells you like a sponge, & at 6 ft. 7 in. there isn't much this QB can't see over, run through, & hit with his rocket arm. Hey, anything is gravy next to QB Tim Tebow IMO.

Smart front office acquisition. Kneel at the foot of the master, soak up everything he tells you like a sponge, & at 6 ft. 7 in. there isn't much this QB can't see over, run through, & hit with his rocket arm. Hey, anything is gravy next to QB Tim Tebow IMO.

It never hurts to watch the best, but Peyton tends to take all the snaps - something which hurt the Colts backups. I'd actually be concerned that the Broncos might demand that Peyton share reps, which could theoretically affect him adversely. In other words, smart move or not, my "interest" in the Broncos doesn't extend to their plans for Peyton's replacement. I'd have MUCH rather that they used the pick on the best DB available.

In fact you could make the argument that they reached for the DT that they drafted in the second - at least that's what many "experts" are saying. Maybe they could have taken a DB there, and taken the DT with a later pick. They are also saying that they wanted DeCastro, and traded back only after the Steelers took him. Was that really a surprise? Even I was thinking "oh not again, the perfect interior lineman is sitting there just as the Steelers are coming up. The same thing happened with a center a couple of years ago". Of COURSE the Steelers took him. To get an impact player like that maybe they should have traded up a couple of spots instead of trading back. Just a wierd draft, and it didn't inspire much confidence. Just like with the Colts FO and draft, I'm more confused than anything. I can only hope that they know what they are doing.

I didn't realize that I needed permission, but thank you.

That's not all I wrote. It appears that either somebody with authority has been playing with my post or it just magically condensed itself into that one sentence. IDK, whatever...

What I originally wrote was, "You can be proud of our history without subscribing to the same flawed philosophies that ultimately stalled many of our runs to the superbowl."

We had arguably the greatest player ever at our disposal for over a decade, and (while still something to be very proud of) we only have one title to show for it. We should've been a dynasty... Instead, we ended up a mere footnote in the Patriots' run of the 2000's because we refused to invest significant money or draft picks in any thing other than skill positions and the QB. For as great a run that we had, I still look at the Manning lead Colts as a team with potential unfulfilled.

We now have the best QB prospect since Manning and I'm seeing the same mistakes being made all over again. If we have another run equivalent to that of the last decade, I can't say I'd be disappointed either. However, if Luck turns out to live up to all the hype and is every bit as good as everyone thinks he is, a part of me still couldn't help but feel cheated if the Colts don't end up with a few SB's to show for it.....